loud and dark directly under the dull flame

p. Vicira | Ravenswrest | Falconer Corank

POSTED: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:34 am

come get lost in the static

The young Lykoi had drug a half of a carcass from the Forest of Nod to the ravens in Ravenswrest. She was determined to find her companion. If Axelle had ever taken to great lengths to send Noir to find her, to scout her out so that she could come and dish out the punishment, Eire needed someone to deter that form of communication. She didn’t want an attack bird, but she wanted a friend who would offer their life in exchange for the same on her part. A feathered friend.

When she dropped the carcass in the middle of the canopy of trees, she took to the nearest tree and climbed it. Then she watched as the ravens warbled among themselves, some swooping right down to the kill, others taking a second to take it all in. It wasn’t long before there was a great, black horde that descended on the corpse, ripping and tearing at the flesh, fighting amongst each other, emitting the stormiest of sounds – a cacophony of squawks and the wet popping of flesh as it was ripped from the bone.

Eire thought it was a rather beautiful site. They were all scavengers once.

As longtime promised, a Vicira/Eire thread! This is aiming for the Falconer corank ~ (000)

Sammiie
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:25 pm

The cries of feasting ravens were well-known to Vesper, who scoffed at the not-so-distant chorus and mused that Inferni’s birds were spoiled indeed. Someone or another always had a tidbit of meat to bring them, sometimes entire carcasses gone to rot. The black-feathered scavengers never seemed to mind whether their kills were freshly caught, a purposeful treat or a messy afterthought; they reaped all the benefits of the coyotes’ hunts without needing to forage afield.

The Aquila dallied among “her” flock, watching youngsters pounce on insects boring into the tree roots, witnessing these and others squabble as they flapped toward the great noise in the center of the woods. In the chaos the female looked calm.

She followed the noise to see who’d dropped off a meal for the birds today, wondering if it was a regular like Conrad or perhaps a newcomer curious about the birds, then paused. She sniffed the air; the daughter of Basilio’s rape had been here, but Vesper didn’t see her immediately.

However, spending time around ravens had taught Vesper how to look up.

Spotting Eire, she smiled faintly. She settled down and curled her bushy tail over her paws, watching the ravens pluck at soft pieces of meat and spread wings for balance or space, then lifted her voice so it could be heard over the din of croaks and crows.

“Do you fancy them?”

Raze
Luperci
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

POSTED: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:31 am

Eire had been sitting in one of the trees that she often climbed – finding its nobs and low-growing branches easy to ascend and descend. At one of the branches which were lower to the ground, but high enough to be at eye-level with some of the birds, Eire sat hugging the trunk of the tree like an old lover, resting her head on one of its shoulders. With her eyes trained on the fluttering horde below, she barely noticed when Vesper joined them.

A voice called up to her, and Eire pushed herself from the trunk to peer down at the Aquila. ”Oh, yes, I love them. I hope to someday have a bird friend of my own...” But was it just the birds that had her coming back here? She did find the ravens undoubtedly fascinating, but she also found this forest undoubtedly fascinating. It may have been the way in which it always looked hazy no matter what it looked like in other places in Inferni; or perhaps it was the weird markings carved in some of the trees. Tracing those markings with her claws sometimes sent shivers down her spine – like they came from some powerful source of power once upon a time.

”Where’s Stark during this feast?”

ooc text here (000)

Sammiie
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:47 pm

I've replied to like half our threads today and they're all this short. xD;

Someday? What stops you? Vesper asked, grinning. She knew a lot of coyotes were drawn to the creatures, visiting to deposit food and play games: mischief on land and in air. Do you have any favorites or can you tell them apart yet? It was a gently testing question, though she didn't mind the answer. All jet black, few with scars or other odd disfigurements, the ravens were a collective thing to most. Their personalities set them apart, but it took a certain kind of coyote to notice all their different quirks and flaws.

Her warm smile faded slightly when Eire asked after her old partner, and she lifted her head. He stays mostly in the trees in one place, unless I'm here. He can't get around well. With a broken wing, he could manage little hops and flaps across branches, but he did most of his manuevering in one or two trees with generous perches. He's probably napping while everyone else exhausts themselves fighting over scraps.

Raze
Luperci
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

POSTED: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:05 pm

Eire gazed down at the ravens who did exhaust themselves fighting over scraps. Alban and Speedy had been going back and forth after each other - often chasing each other off only to settle back in the same place and do it all over again. Benji had his beak buried in a fleshy hole in the kill, completely lost to the rest of the others, except when someone nipped at his tail. Vesper’s voice echoed in the background, and Eire considered how well she knew these ravens.

”Well, I haven’t really bonded with anyone specific yet... I’ve just been kinda spending time with all of em.” Out of the flock, the ravens with physical differences obviously were easier to tell apart, but after watching them for a length of time, Eire could begin to point out their differences through little behaviors and quirks. She almost always could tell it was Alban by the way he picked scraps from the ground - always in a specific order. Or Delia because she was always very harsh with the younger ravens. ”But I know them... or at least, I think I do. That’s Alban, Speedy, and Benji there... and Rogue over there, Twitchtail, and Koi... Them two I haven’t seen specific things to place them yet... but I’m watching.” Eire beamed a smile down at Vesper. ”How am I supposed to choose my raven, Aquila? How did you do it?”

It was obvious that the Aquila knew her birds. She had been the Aquila and she had been here for a long time. That already gave her prowess over Eire. Eire hadn’t been aware of the raven’s broken wing, so she silently questioned why Stark wouldn’t come running when there was obvious food lying in the midst of the forest... whether it required a little work or not... it was still free, effortless food - one that the bird didn’t have to worry about finding because it was there.

ooc text here. (323)

Sammiie
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:06 pm

[339]

The ravens flew around, chasing each other, gobbling up bits of meat, and amid the chaos Eire identified them.

Vesper wagged her tail and grinned back up at the girl, obviously pleased.

"Well -- that one's not got a name yet, I don't think," she said, glancing at one of the younger and less confident ravens who looked overwhelmed by the tussling, especially when Delia inched forward to bite at him. "But this one --" and at a soft coo from the Aquila, one of the runtier birds who hadn't been attacking the meat flapped over and landed clumsily on the coywolf's scruff. "Sheker. I'm fond of her too, I'll admit."

With the small raven preening Vesper's grey scruff, the old female offered a small laugh up at Eire. "I think the ravens choose half the time," she said. "That was the case with Stark and me. I was an arrogant newcomer at the time, and I guess he thought he'd try to look out for me and humble me. We've... been through a lot together."

She leaned her neck into Sheker when the bird picked at something that felt like a tick, a stubborn one from the painful tugging. "It's traditional that coyotes just pick the raven that bugs and follows them around the most, heh. It's easier with young ones; the newer generations are easier to please, really into this whole 'scouting' thing." Of course, half the ravens born to the flock preferred to skate by on scraps without work -- but the younger ravens were as a whole bold and curious, more inclined to working with a coyote rather than maintaining independence and grumpiness.

"You might want the challenge of a shy raven, or prefer one who knows what they're doing."
She looked out at the birds. "Speedy likes working, for instance. Delia does too, but she's not as friendly. Rogue isn't likely to want to pair up with anyone." Not after his mate died.

Raze
Luperci
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

POSTED: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:53 am

If there was one thing that the young Lykoi girl and the Aquila could bond on, it was the ravens. Eire found a smile on her face when Vesper spoke of the birds, finding that she knew a few noises that’d otherwise make the birds come to her – Sheker being one of them. The black bird left the kill and hopped over to her, finding an easier meal in Vesper’s coat than fighting for the scraps quickly disappearing in the clutches of the other savage birds.

Eire pondered the information that Vesper had said. The young ones took to companions more, so that’d mean that she could potentially grow up with a bird… even though Eire was well out of her childhood years by this point. Most ravens chose their companions, and Eire tried to think if she saw any particular raven following her around a lot. Her mind went back to a few weeks ago when she received her mother’s note. There had been a few ravens in the trees that always used to follow her… but now thinking about it, she didn’t ever really make the effort of knowing which they were. They knew how to speak, and that was one thing, but anything else that’d tell her which they were was lost to memory.

”Hm… I guess I’ll have to wait and see then…” Eire mused, smiling down at Vesper, watching the raven pick at her coat with great effort. Perhaps one day she’d be well-met enough to have the ravens pick ticks out of her coat just like that. ”To be honest, I’m not looking for a specific kind of bird. I just think it’s cool that the ravens pair with the Inernians.” Whether she paired with a shy bird or a bird who likes to work. She had no intention of using the raven like Axelle used hers. She did not expect the bird to do her errands for her… only to keep her company and perhaps watch her back when she needed it the most.

ooc text here (340)

Sammiie
Luperci

Dead Topics