He who has a why to live can bear almost any how.

[Joining]

POSTED: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:59 am

Your characters' precise species and species percentages, 25% Northeastern Coyote, 25% Plains Coyote, 25% Northern Coyote, 25% Northwest Coast Coyote
Your desired Immunes rank(s), Sciens or Civilis
Your characters' cNPC, Smoky

The area had suddenly become infested with other canines. Arsinoe had no idea where they had all come from but she knew that they were barring her from reaching Smoky. These scents of all these unknown figures had driven her away from her den and so she had to also give up her winter stockpile as well. But what she couldn't give up on and just leave behind was the forever puppy that she had befriended. Arkin would tell her that Smoky wasn't real but she knew that to not be true. How could Smoky not be real when she visited with him daily?

She watched the puppy gaze around in wonder at all of the bodies passing him by. They moved with purpose and more than once he had to dodge out of the way of a canine on a mission. But it wasn't the sudden influx that had caught his attention but how they were walking. Unlike Arsinoe and himself they moved about on two legs rather than four. "What are they?" The words were breathed out as he started to follow after one of the individuals.

Watch out! Arsinoe yelled and bolted forwards, Smoky's endangerment beating out her wariness. She moved to place her body over top of the ghost puppy's in order to prevent him from being trampled by a horse. She bared her teeth, fur bristled all along her spine, and barked at the large, hooved creature. She hoped to scare it off and get Smoky out of there before they got caught.

POSTED: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:09 pm

Magpie didn't like this new place they considered 'home' – it was bare, and strange, and not a place she wanted to live. She wanted to live where she grew up, where the air smelled like the ocean and ravens and family. She wanted to live in the mansion she grew up in, in the room she shared with Oriole, where she could see her daddy and papa and sister and cousins.

If life moved backwards, Magpie would be a happier girl.

Daddy hadn't come with them when they moved across the mountains. The mansion had burned. The stables had burned. Ravens she had been familiar with were gone, and horses, and daddy, and that was the most crushing part of it all: that daddy was gone. Sometimes she wandered away from the clan's territories to find a place where she could cry it out, where no one would see it. The last thing she needed was someone like Redtooth making fun of her for having feelings.

Today wasn't one of those days. Today was a moving day, and Magpie irritably carried her box of sparkling treasures as others drove horses forward. It was Magpie who hung back when another intercepted, nearly being trampled by a now-startled horse to protect something. It made the dark woman pause and squint her multi-colored eyes. What was stupid.

What are you doing, asked Magpie in the flattest of voices, trying to comprehend just what sort of death wish this girl sought.

[wc: ###]
Inferni Membership: 6 MonthsInferni Membership: 1 Year
Avatar © Lin. Signature Doodle © Songbird.
Inferni
Civilis
Kiki
Luperci
all that glitters

POSTED: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:01 pm

ooc here

The horse reared and came close to stamping down on her but she ended up being able to nudge Smoky away in time enough to vacate that spot. Come on, we got to go. She whispered to the ghost, whom she didn't fully realize was a ghost. The woman looked up and stiffened when she realized that they were caught. I had to help Smoky. All those other.... things... She tossed her head in the direction of the bi-pedal canines. They were ignoring him and weren't going to keep that.... strange deer...? Again she had to pause as she didn't know the appropriate word to use but managed to fill the space once again. They weren't going to keep Smoky from getting stepped on. She finished up and kept the ghost shielded with her body.

But with the danger now pass the ghost puppy moved out from beneath Arsinoe and made his way over to sniff at Magpie, as he didn't realize he was a ghost either. He reared up on his hind paws and pressed his fore paws, which was likely to cause a chilly sensation, to Magpie's leg so that he could try and sniff at the box that she was carrying.

Come on Smoky. We have to go now. She called out to the puppy once more. When Smoky headed further in to where his tree was at Arsinoe was quick to sprint around and cut him off. No no, we can't go there anymore. We got to go this way. She tossed her head back towards the borders that she had crossed to rescue Smoky. We can't stay here anymore. They stay here now.

POSTED: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:11 pm

The dark-furred mutt, on two legs herself, watched the quadrupedal female with suspicion in her features. She referred to things strangely – had she never seen Luperci before? But she had to be like they were. Magpie had only known one person who wasn't and that was Virue; it was clearly an anomaly, since he was on two legs when she was returned to Inferni's lands. Strange deer? Had she never seen horses before?

It all baffled Magpie, who cocked her head and looked less suspicious as the female spoke. Curiosity blossomed on her face instead. And who was she trying to protect? Nothing had been in the horses' way, nothing seemed to be there at all, but Magpie – who fully believed that the death she hated so much was not the end of life – was willing to listen. Just because she didn't see it, didn't mean it wasn't real, right?

A chill spread through her leg, but there was nothing for her to react to. Still, her arms dropped slightly, and this exposed the shiny contents of the box to the nose of the ephemeral pup without her realizing it. Who are you talking to? she finally blurted, after watching the stranger dart around, trying to cut off something and claiming they couldn't go back. They stay here now.

The sentence punched Magpie in the stomach, as a young Luperci who was forced to leave her home behind. Were they forcing someone else to leave a home they liked?

You don't have to go, she insisted, without the authority to give true acceptance to the coyote clan. She just didn't want to feel the guilt that was swelling in her stomach, that they had forced someone else from a home, when they had been forced from theirs. Anyways, she looked like a coyote, right? So that made it okay.

Inferni
Civilis
Kiki
Luperci
all that glitters

POSTED: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:56 pm

ooc here

Not too many had traveled this far north. One had to be an adapt scavenger or hunter of small prey to be able to last for any length of time in the area. Larger game didn't seem to fair too well the colder it got. But this was her home. She had been born in this area and knew of nothing else. From a young age she had been warned away from strangers. The most interaction she had was with Smoky, or else her brother, Arkin. She didn't have much experience in dealing with those that she didn't know.

Smoky dipped his nose into the lowered box and tried to lick at the trinkets but there was nothing tasty to be found there. Smoky. Arsinoe answered the question and nodded to where the pup was at. Arkin says Smoky isn't real but that isn't true. Smoky lives here. He stays beneath that big tree. His mommy and daddy and brothers and sisters are all gone. Only Smoky is left. She reached down her muzzle to nudge the puppy gently as if to soothe him. She didn't know what she would do if Arkin left her.

We don't? Her head tilted in uncertainty and confusion. But how can we stay here if you are staying here? She didn't understand the concept with staying with someone outside of family. While she denned near Smoky she still didn't share a space with him. But still he was a puppy and needed looking after so that made it different.

POSTED: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:17 pm

The explanation that was given by the strange coyote caused Magpie's doggish ears to swivel and flatten, and she understood. Something was dead here, something small that had once needed to be protected, but wasn't. It made her stomach flop over itself; the thought of something dead made her think of her own dad, who they had left behind in the wastes they once called home. It threatened to bring emotion to the surface, but the dark-furred coydog quelled her feelings and simply gave a grunt.

I mean, you can stay with us, she supplied, with condescension in her manner. It was obvious to Magpie, who had never needed to worry about being without a home. Inferni was her home, and she would live with them even if she didn't want to on some days. It never occurred to her that other coyotes had never had such an expansive home. It just means we have to share. I can get – her sentence died there, as she didn't want to call for Vicira, of all people. Vicira was why they were leaving to begin with. She supposed she could call for Fang, or one of the others who held authority. Anyone but Vicira.

Inferni
Civilis
Kiki
Luperci
all that glitters

POSTED: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:58 pm

ooc here

I can share. I share with Arkin all the time. I try to share with Smoky but he never wants any. Which gave further substance to Smoky not being corporeal. This didn't occur to Arsinoe though. She considered the puppy to be as real as she was, and to her he was. She was able to see him and interact with him. She also didn't get why others couldn't seem to see Smoky. She just figured that they had too many things to do to pay attention to a puppy.

Get what? Do you need something? She asked and moved to usher Smoky back over to where Magpie stood. I got stuff. I saved up for when it gets really cold. She tossed her head over to where her own denning site was. "Just got to go over there." Though that area had others milling around it. "I don't think I have enough for all of them." She only had a few rodents tucked away and buried.

POSTED: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:56 pm

OOC: I hope it’s okay for me to put Ves in here, since she technically still has the authority to accept joiners! ;)

IC:

Between the horses and other livestock being driven through the new territory, amid yapped orders and riders circling back to cut off stray sheep and pigs, the woods were chaotic. Somewhere in the mess of it all, Clover — who had been accompanying the old Evocati — had to break away to chase an ornery ram back into the fold. She’d hesitated to leave the crippled coywolf, but Vesper had darkly responded that she was an adult who could take care of herself. Just because she’d lost the use of her leg didn’t mean she couldn’t still walk.

But she did limp terribly at the tail end of the band of coyotes, panting through the pain. Her splinted leg was a dead weight whose paw dragged the ground, but she did her best to keep it lifted up as she hobbled heavily around fallen logs and other rotten foliage. At least the cold up here left her more or less numb.

Vesper coughed and squinted when she spotted two figures ahead: Magpie with a box in her arms, and a coyote on all fours conversing with her. She realized as she walked closer that the four-legged coyote was a stranger: a non-Luperci, a loner. Ves’ blue eyes widened and she hobbled faster until she reached the pair.

“Hello,” the Evocati said, glancing at the loner and then at her granddaughter, questioningly. “Do you live here, hon?” she asked the coyote.

Inferni
Evocati III
Raze
Luperci Multiple Co-ranks Rex III SoSuWriMo 2012 - 2017 Champion!
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

POSTED: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:54 pm

Her unfinished thought turned into an outpouring of the stranger, who was willing to give the clan things – she had things, apparently, and though it tugged on the edges of Magpie's curiosity as to what those things were, she didn't pounce on the chance to take her savings from her. Instead, she just grunted.

Meemaw saved the day.

The older 'yote hobbled her way over and offered a greeting, speaking to the 'yote female. Do you live here, hon? she wondered, which caused Magpie to scoff. 'course she lives here, Meemaw. No one would just be here unless they had to be. It's awful here. It was immature, how she continued to harp on it, but she couldn't help it: she missed the bay, where she had grown up, and its familiar smells.

Memories brought her sullenness back, and she started to move away from the pair, pausing to offer that, I'm gonna catch up with the rest of them, okay?

Will dip out and leave the actual inducting to Vesp. Sorry this took so long, Sylv!
Inferni
Civilis
Kiki
Luperci
all that glitters

POSTED: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:13 pm

Not an issue Kiki, I have been super slow myself

Another coyote joined them, quadrupedal like herself. A question was asked of her but the bipedal answered for her, with an added quip of her own. It's no so bad here. Arsinoe spoke up for the only place that she had ever known. She watched the dual colored girl head off before looking back to the scarred woman with whom she was left. I don't live here but I live close. Over that way. She tossed her muzzle in the direction of her own den beneath of a tree. Arkin stays there too. She nodded her head towards the large, dead tree that could be easily seen from their placement. Smoky lives there. I come here to visit Smoky. She felt the need to correct the assumption even though her own den was still within the newly claimed land it still wasn't within sight.

That... thing... said we have to give stuff. As she still didn't know the word for canines whom walked upon two legs and well, she hadn't been given a name either. She couldn't come up with any other word to use and so thing would have to suffice once again. I got stuff but not a lot for everybody, only a little for Arkin and me. Smoky is never hungry so he doesn't get any.

While the adults were talking Smoky crept over to the unknown female and sniffed at her. He wasn't really smelling anything but it was a habit that was hard to break. The splint really caught his attention and a paw was lifted to bat at it, as if touching it would tell him what it was.

Dead Topics