Its goodness is a decision for the mouth to make.

[AW; Yawrah River]

POSTED: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:51 pm

Yarrow was glad to have been allowed to follow Clover to a new home. It had been hard trying to live on his own. And it was still hard trying to settle into a new place but at least he had to friends here. He had Jumbo and Clover! It was the most friends that he had ever had. And now he was out to make a new one.

Jumbo had been left next to an icy river to drink while Yarrow explored a bleating sound from a couple of snow drifts over. "I coming!" He called out so that whatever it was wouldn't run away. But that didn't exactly work for he was a predator and it was prey that waited just out of eyesight.

The reindeer calf caught scent of him before it caught sight and turned to try and run though it didn't get very far. After only a couple of steps the six month old calf fell. It struggled and managed to get back up, though was clearly favoring its left forelimb. Once more the calf bleated, calling for his mother to come and help him.

"You got a boo boo?" Yarrow asked as he approached the limping animal. "I kiss it and then it be all better."He announced proudly and continued towards the creature that was desperately trying to hobble away from him. His focus was entirely on the calf that he didn't spot the mother reindeer charging towards him in protection of her baby.

ooc text [word count]

POSTED: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:10 pm

Undoubtedly, the tawny-sable thing and the smaller coyote that followed were related – it was impossible not to see this in their colors, but equally too was the swift and steady pace which they kept.

Antioch did not bother to slow when he was with his son, who was now of adult age and to be treated as such. He hardly looked the part, still scrawny and lanky like an adolescent ought to, but he had a serious expression not unlike his gruff father.

War did that, Antioch supposed. The war and the violence which had followed – the great fire and all that came after – were enough to change a boy. Versace's pregnancy had much to do with this too, for while Adina tended to her mother, the two males acted as instinct demanded.

Hunting was important, and hard to do in this unfamiliar land. Antioch felt like he was a boy himself, relearning the places to look and to hide. Patrols helped with this. Often, though, hunting came to the forefront of his reasons for being out. Versace no longer had her kitchen nor her drive, and she needed the food for the life growing inside of her to prosper.

The father and son had come upon a promising trail and were soon upon it. Antioch thought a deer would be a nice and proper meal, and more than enough for his family.

Except there was another boy ahead of them. One who was yapping stupidly at a bawling calf while a mother deer with a crown of antlers rushed for him.

Antioch snarled and hurried forward. He was fast and loud, and when the deer saw him she assessed this larger threat and changed course towards him.

Jethro, rushing to catch up, called to the unfamiliar boy: Hey! Get out of the way!

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood
signature art by Songbird
Inferni
DEAD
Mel
Luperci
KARMA POLICE
(better keep your head)

POSTED: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:00 pm

Yarrow yelped as he was yelled at and glanced up to see the mother turn to go after Antioch while Jethro ended up joining him. "But he has a boo boo and needs help." The words were whined out. He didn't exactly get just how much danger he had just put himself into, nor how he was being saved from it. His thought processes hadn't grown to the complexity of an adult's just yet. He still just rushed into situations without thinking through the consequences.

"Are you going to help him?" Yarrow called out, but kept his distance. He continued to glance towards the injured calf but his attention was mainly upon the pair that were fighting with the cow. Yarrow backed up a few more paces, coming to the top of the snow drift again.

He stood atop the snow drift so that he would remain out of the way of the action that was transpiring down below. But still he felt drawn to the calf and wanted to calm it. Though he had been told to stay out of the way and he knew that he had to listen. Maybe once they were done he could go back to the calf and fix up its boo boo.

ooc text [word count]

POSTED: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:10 pm

There was no empathy in Antioch for the animals he hunted and ate. He did not see them as he had come to accept things like horses or cats, reluctant in spite of such understanding. This deer, bellowing and kicking at the coyote as he snapped and chased her away from the calf, it was food. If he could catch the thing, he'd kill her – but the needs of his Clan outweighed this greed, and in his conscious and deeper instincts the easier choice was the wiser one.

He shouted an order at his son, who left the other boy behind and did as he was told.

The smell of blood alerted the cow as to the fate of her offspring, and when Antioch lunged for her again she finally gave up the fight and fled. He pursued only long enough to see which direction in which the deer ran, made note of it, and turned back.

Jethro, large enough to be nearing full grown but still skinny with youth, was capable enough to bring down a wounded calf. He had made a mess of it, Antioch thought, but they were far enough from the caves that the thought of attempting to salvage the pelt sounded like a waste of energy.

Antioch looked for the stranger, and called to him: Come here – who are you? He demanded, sniffing curiously. You're new.

Inferni
DEAD
Mel
Luperci
KARMA POLICE
(better keep your head)

POSTED: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:48 pm

"Hey! Why you do that!? He only had a boo boo!" Yarrow yelled out when Jethro killed the calf. Given his size large animals were, well, too large to be prey for him yet. He stuck to chasing around the small creatures, and even then it rarely turned out worth the energy spent. He ended up having to scavenge most times, finding carcasses that other predators couldn't finish or else depend upon what Clover left for him. His skills as a hunter were seriously lacking.

Yarrow came when he was called, though kept his distance from the now deceased calf. But still he couldn't help looking over at it. "Jumbo was going to help him." He pouted and then a sudden realization hit him. "Jumbo!" Yarrow called out for the stuffed elephant and ran over to go pick him up and then returned to the pair.

He placed Jumbo down before him so that he could speak. "I'm Yarrow and this is Jumbo. Mama said to come to the place of skulls."

ooc text [172]

POSTED: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:13 pm

[WC: 334]

Jethro's expression was overly done, twisting up like he thought the blue-eyed stranger was stupid, but Antioch shot him a look and the tawny coyote contained himself.

The kid was probably almost as old as his daughter and son, Antioch thought – skinny and small, but mottled enough to be a mongrel. He smelt like the pack already, enough so that Antioch supposed he must have joined sometime recently. The Bellator let out a bullish snort, clearing his nose, and shook his head.

You're old enough to be more careful, the scarred coyote instructed sourly. Or get more people if you can't handle something like this.

His eyes shot to the stuffed animal, and his tone eased – he was a father, after all, and recognized it was presumptuous to imagine a young person without family to know much. Survival was one thing, but socialization another.

He didn't think about it all this deeply, of course. Most of his thoughts went to his wife, and their newborn, and even then to the son they had left behind in ground no longer their own. God was great, but sometimes he was cruel. Versace's own mother had been taken from her before she or Cartier could come to know her face.

I'm Antioch, and this is my son, Jethro. Now Yarrow, since you're part of Inferni you can have some of this to eat – but we'll need to take it back. It's hard to find something like this out here.

Can I carry it? Jethro yapped, oddly attentive and visibly itching to move.

If you think you can—

Yeah I can! I'm okay!

While the adolescent began to shift, Antioch turned back to Yarrow. He sat, left leg bent out to keep pressure off of it. The cold sometimes bothered him, but with adrenaline still hot in his blood, Antioch let his mouth hang open to cool.

Was your mother from here? the Bellator asked, curious as to who the kid might have come from.

Inferni
DEAD
Mel
Luperci
KARMA POLICE
(better keep your head)

POSTED: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:43 pm

"I was going to help him." Yarrow huffed out the words. He still had no idea how he was to do that exactly but that had been the plan from the start. He had assumed that the calf could be helped and that it didn't need to be killed. Of course he didn't know anything about healing either. There wasn't much that he knew anything of.

"Clover finds lots of food. She is always bringing me something to eat." Which was a reason that he had even survived as long as he had. If not for her looking out for him then it was doubtful that he would have lasted as long as he had. There was still so very much about the world that he had to learn and teachers were a rare commodity.

Yarrow quickly shook his head when he was asked if his mother was from Inferni. "No. She lived far far away. So far away that your paws hurt from walking so much. She said she had friends here. That I had to come and find her friends and stay with them from now on." He didn't exactly understand all that he had been told but he just knew that he had to listen to her. "Mama was big like Clover."

Sorry for being so absolutely lame. [000]

POSTED: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:12 pm

No point in helping food, Antioch instructed bluntly. He saw the sort of good-nature intention in Yarrow's desire, but helping little forest critters was beneath the coyote. When food was scarce, even their own livestock would fall to the needs of hungry bellies. A wounded deer was a gift in hungry times like these.

The more the young boy (and he wasn't even that young, not in the harsh grade to which survival judged them) spoke the more it seemed his arrival here was not by accident. His mother (a dog, as Antioch inferred from the comparison to Clover) had sent him to seek out “friends”. Being that she had not come, that she had “lived”, the Bellator further guessed why someone this age might seem so inexperienced.

There's less to eat around here, he explained again. We have to be careful about what we do with food. If you want to help people, you should help us help Inferni – what were you going to do anyway?

Inferni
DEAD
Mel
Luperci
KARMA POLICE
(better keep your head)

Dead Topics