through the fire and the flames we carry on

p. Vicira

POSTED: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:27 pm

Hear me Roar

Her plan to visit Sapient for the second time had not come to fruition. She was lucky to have stumbled upon a friendly enough lone wolf who had informed her that things around that pack were still not up to snuff, that there was some strange things happening; apparently someone had been killed. So, despite her disappointment, she steered clear once again.

However, Inferni was still on her list to visit a second time; now that the war between them and Salsola had ended, she was expecting a more friendly reception; imagine her surprise when she arrived at their borders to find the scents stale, and the clear sign that the pack lands had been abandoned. She and her small party even ventured into what was once Inferni, to find the obviously once lived in homes and buildings desolate, cupboards bare, and stock rooms emptied. Aldora was aghast; how could an entire pack just up and leave or disband so quickly?

They had stayed there for several nights, waiting just in case someone came by, but it was only a scavenger loner that once again brought insight. He informed them that Inferni was still alive, they had just moved from these lands, and in record time, most likely to get as far away from their Salsolan enemies. He told them that he had heard that the coyotes had made their way into the once burnt lands to the North.

The Knight had thanked the male and gifted him with salted fish in return for the information, and once again, the band was off to find the coyote clan.

It took them several days, but once they knew the general direction of the pack, it was easy to track them. That large a group of canines, including all their wares and livestock, left quite a mark on the worn paths of the countryside. They followed the trail deep into the mountains, and then back out again on the other side. Here, the weather was much less forgiving, and snow drifts hindered their progress. They arrived near the fresh new borders after the sun had set, to let themselves rest before making their official approached.

Morning dawned clear and cold, the sun glittering off the night’s freshly fallen snow. Aldora decided it was time that Ovidiu make his debut, and she and the tiger alone came up to the threshold of the clan-lands together. Aldora had the furs of her thick cloak drawn close to her face, giving her the appearance of having a mane, and the tiger looked regal enough in just his normal winter pelt. She hoped his presence would not frighten anyone who came to greet them, but he was her friend, and bade her commands; holding no ill-will towards Inferni, their members were safe from his fangs.

Aldora lifted her head and breathed out a frosty howl into the crisp air; she called for Vesper specifically, but the howl was an invitation for anyone. She did not know if the scarred ‘yote was even still alive.

Set for December 27 :: +5

Casa di Cavalieri
First Officer
Nat
Luperci Artisan (Vocals), Hunter goose slayer

POSTED: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:16 am

470 words

The half moon had set at midnight, but its shape seemed burned in her mind’s eye. Approximately a month had passed since the coyotes crossed the mountain: a month of struggle to put down their new roots and adapt to the winter-harsh landscape. They suffered for hunger and unfamiliarity with the new land, but Vicira knew it was worth it, and she worked long hours to ensure that her clan had the best chance for prosperity.

As dawn broke over the horizon, Vicira patrolled. She had been at it a few hours already, and so Kresnik’s body was warm beneath her in contrast with the snow. The daylight seemed to energize the gelding, happy for better vision though he trusted his rider’s senses when darkness fell. He happily trotted when asked, and behind them Vici could hear her scouting companion — Tletica — cluck her tongue to urge her dark bay mare on. The two Svantevit palfreys moved side by side, speaking in their own way while the coyotes remained silent, focused on their surroundings and, in Tletica’s case, her own thoughts.

Vicira did not press the russet coyote for conversation. Generally outgoing and spirited, the archer had withdrawn after causing the accidental death of her brother; it was all Tletica could do to find purpose in their new territory, dozens of miles away from where Atlan had fallen dead in the old Inferni foothills. Occasionally she offered comment a comment about a scent, or answered one of Vicira’s direct questions, but the silence was not uncomfortable.

And it allowed them to better hear the howl, though Vicira couldn’t have possibly missed a strange wolf’s call for her mother.

Her demeanor changed at once. Their patrol had been pleasurable, but now irritation crossed her ginger-marked face, wrinkling her muzzle. Rather than respond to the call, she gestured to Tletica — who was readying her bow — and spurred Nik toward the border.

Trusting and confident a horse as he was, even he shied at the sight of the tiger.

Irritation turned to anger at once.

Tletica had her bow out and one raven-fletched arrow pointed at the great beast, while Vicira turned Kresnik in a tight circle to keep him from thinking about the striped beast. Never in her life had Vicira seen such a massive and boldly-marked creature, though the Salsolans had called their leader Tigress before. She could see the arrogance in that statement now; the cat’s fur was thick, but it did little to cover a massive, muscled frame. He dwarfed any cougar Vicira had seen in the mountains.

“I am Vicira Tears, Aquila of Inferni,” the soot-colored coywolf said, sitting tall in her saddle. “Turn that beast away from our borders or we’ll put it down.”
their lips the secret kept, if in ashes the fire-seed slept

Raze
Luperci
cinder and smoke
ash in your mouth

POSTED: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:09 pm

Hear me Roar

She had hoped to see a familiar face; either Crucible, Meridia, or even Vesper. But instead it was two strangers that approached on horse-back; a dark female with a that signature red-blaze, and a russet colored companion. As they neared, Aldora watched as their demeanor turned hostile, and the red-colored ‘yote even raised a bow at them. Al was quick to raise her hands, and the dark female demanded she send the tiger away or they would kill it; she also introduced herself as the Aquila.

Aldora’s spirit fell and she could feel Ovidiu tense beside her, but he made no aggressive move; instead Aldora made the slightest motion with her raised hand and her feline friend was quick to turn the other way and lumber quickly into the sparse forest until he was out of sight. Well, that didn’t go as planned; she had not expected the coyote’s to be so easily threatened. But if this young woman was the Aquila now, that meant that Vesper was most likely dead. The clan was probably still on extreme alert, and in disarray, and suffering if their old leader was gone. Aldora hoped against hope she could appease this new queen.

Once the tiger was a good distance away, Aldora made a slight bow, I apologize if my companion caused you grief. And that was all to be said about that, My name is Aldora Knight. I visited your pack when you were still across the mountains. You were at war with Salsola at that time and I was unable to aid you… as I should have remained unspoken.

She opened her cloak to reveal a laden pack which she removed from her shoulder and held towards the coyotes, I brought gifts for Vesper… but if you are the Aquila now than they are for you.

OOC :: +3

Casa di Cavalieri
First Officer
Nat

POSTED: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:32 pm

[342]

Large predators would never be welcomed into Inferni's lands under Vicira's rule -- though she made her own exception for the canid maned wolves -- and to find one so close to their territory made her bristle. It was instinct; the beast before her could kill a small coyote easily, and it would take several armed Luperci to subdue it.

The only reason she did not attack at once -- and why Tletica only pointed the arrow, and did not draw the bowstring back -- was because Vicira recognized that some wolves did not have such reservations.

Thankfully, the tiger departed at once from his companion's signal. Vici did not trust him lurking out there much more, but she was confident in her scouts; they would sniff him out if he was there to cause issue. She allowed herself to relax at the wolf's bow, while Tletica lowered her arms, though she kept a grip on her weaponry just in case things turned nasty.

The wolf introduced herself as Aldora Knight, a visitor during the war who brought gifts now. Her allegiance and history explained why she'd called out for Vesper, and Vicira snorted in dry amusement.

"I told my mother that putting hope in a wolf pack was foolish,"
she said. "You have much to gain from Inferni and Salsola destroying each other. I hope that you enjoy the extra breathing room." Her voice was cold, but with no real hate behind it -- just a nasty observation. The other packs had been bold to settle beside Inferni, which had laid claim to the Waste for years and years before the wolves finally settled.

She hesitated a moment as she looked at the bag, then dismounted. Walking tall -- she was only half a foot shorter than the girl -- she approached and grabbed the pack, opening it and glancing at its contents.

"Why do you bring gifts?" Vicira asked. "Late apology?" Her tone suggested that she doubted that was all there was to it. No one gave without wanting something in return.

Raze
Luperci
cinder and smoke
ash in your mouth

POSTED: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:33 pm

Hear me Roar

Vicira’s words were intended to cut like a knife, but Aldora remained stoic. She knew that were she in the same situation, she probably would be less than kind as well. But when the Aquila insinuated that the war would have been advantageous to her, or perhaps in extension, to Casa di Cavalieri, the Knight could not help but shake her head, "There is little to be gained from genocide." Did this coyote know anything of Casa? Of why it was founded in the first place? She felt a duty to prove to this leader that war and death were not what defined existence.

The coy-woman accepted the bag, and began looking through its contents. Inside she would find many individually wrapped parcels which contained the choice picks of the items Aldora had received from the others packs. From Cours de Miracles, a beautiful sea-glass necklace, as well as smooth worn loose sea-glass. From Anathema, several polished crystals meant for healing, and sweet smelling herb bundles. The parcel from Krokar contained a few sharp fishing hooks, all bone and made by hand. Last, but the most important of all, was the contents of the Salsolan gift; several small vials, all containing what Aldora was sure was poison.

In response to Vicira’s question, "Yes." it was true that this was an apology, even though she knew that originally she could not have helped as Vesper had requested, but she was not too proud; she could admit when she was wrong.

The Knight opened her hand in supplication, "Your clan is proud, and you have been an integral part of these lands for longer than any of us, She began, "I know there may always been tension between us, but what Salsola did against you was unacceptable. I request that you consider allowing me to act as ambassador between our packs, so that you may have a confidant among Casa, one that you can called upon if you need aid."

She knew she was taking a risk in offering this without Luca and Lyris’ consent; but she had seen what Salsola was like, had felt the suffering among those from Inferni she had met; there was a duty here she felt she must fulfill is she was to be considered a true Knight.

OOC :: +3

Casa di Cavalieri
First Officer
Nat

POSTED: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:31 pm

Vici a bitch and this my last post <3

Genocide. Vicira wondered if it might have come to that had they tried to keep fighting, had she not surrendered; it was something she often contemplated, how things would have gone, who would have lived, who would have survived. Would Inferni have been wiped out, or would the two grand packs have destroyed one another so only pieces were left?

She pursed her lips. Behind her eyes, she saw the smoke from the mansion.

But it didn't matter what could have been, only what was. Inferni had survived and would rise from the ashes as it always had.

She inspected the gifts with care, sea-glass and crystals glinting between her fingers, smooth bone hooks pricking her pad, and smaller containers whose contents Vicira could only imagine. She closed the mouth of the bag and held this against her body while Aldora spoke, mulling over the wolf's words.

I have nothing to lose from letting you call yourself ambassador, Vicira said. Her voice dipped again, cold and unkind. I have nothing to gain, either. You'll never come to our aid if I call -- just bring more gifts and excuses as to why you didn't fight.

Casa di Cavalieri remained hypocrites, supposed do-gooders who picked battles with troublesome loners and hadn't, to Vicira's knowledge, fought an actual war with those who threatened the region's peace the most. She thought of Salsola, of Anathema and New Dawn. The knights could preach what they wanted, but she hadn't seen anything move them until it was far too late.

She walked back to her horse, mounted, secured the bag of gifts to the saddle. Safe travels back home, Cavalier, she said. If you come calling again, leave the cat at home. It doesn't behoove diplomats to look threatening.

Raze
Luperci
cinder and smoke
ash in your mouth

Dead Topics