recalculating

POSTED: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:42 pm

[WC: 209] Thread Prompt: Ichabod has a budding interesting cartography, and he would like to make a map of the new territory. Help Ichabod with this task, either by noting landmarks on your travels or convincing him to make a more legible key!
They're somewhere around the caves, and it's still morning. Maybe your character is heading out to start their day and offers to help? Hopefully someone nicer than Antioch ;>

See, it's all right here!

The tawny-gray coyote was very insistent about this, pointing at the scribblings he had marked on a piece of hide. It was a vaguely circular shape, but jagged and bumpy looking. All sorts of symbols were placed haphazardly about, it seemed – squiggly lines and pointed-looking designs, arrows pointing to this and that, and a block of text that seemed to be a nonsensical collection of letters and numbers.

Antioch, reading these, scowled.

What am I looking at?

Well gosh darnit, Ichabod fumed, flattening his ears. I know I ain't the best draw-wer 'round but look, I went 'round and figured out where things are. Look, this is the caves –,

The circle.

Right! And this is the church, he pointed to a cross, one of the only legible things on the map. And since there's water up here and here I put these so people knew—

What are you pointing at? There's four things there.

Ichabod opened his mouth (or left it open, for as much as he talked) and pointed at the first person he saw. Hey, can I borrow you for a sec? He called, while the Bellator frowned and shook his head while he continued to examine the Southerner's map.

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood
signature art by Songbird
Inferni
DEAD
Mel
Luperci
KARMA POLICE
(better keep your head)

POSTED: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:53 pm

Yet now I'm standing here, my heart so full, I can't explain
Seeking faith and speaking words I never thought I'd say.

The four of them seemed to be growing more used to their new home. It wasn't like the mansion, though Faith and Dahlia had been helping their mother to make the most of it. Even if she was still a recluse due to everything that happened to her, Crucifix was still their mother. She deserved the best in life, for God to extend his arm of mercy over her.

The pup sibling had been known to go outside on many occasions, just as she had before the entire pack made their journey to their new.. or rather.. old home. With the help of her older sibling, the two did their best to find any kind of flowers that survived the chill of winter, bringing them back to her as gifts. At least it was something that could bring a smile to the former Magister's face. That in turn managed to bring a smile to the youngest sibling's face. In this time of mourning and adjustment, perhaps these small acts of kindness were enough to give them hope in moving on.

Faith was up early this day, her young sister huddled close to her mother for warmth within their small section of the cave system. Not wanting to wake either one of them, she stood, keeping the claws along her feet from dragging along the stone floor. She gave one small glance over her head before heading out into the rest of the system.

As she journeyed deeper, two voices began to ring out against the walls. One of them was easy to distinguish. Antioch was arguing with someone. As she came to where her uncle was, Ichabod was there with him, something spread out before the two of them. His hand raised up, pointing to her before she could even greet them, "Sure. Is there something wrong?"

+300 words.

Faith de le Poer

Loners
Coywolf
Salena
Luperci Chaos Star

POSTED: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:52 pm

[WC: 205]

Ichabod straightened up, like he was coming to attention. He was a poor example of a soldier, but he seemed to want to impress people enough to remember how to carry himself every now and again. Of course, he was quick to thrust his map towards Faith.

The Bellator shook his head, and though he looked like he had better things to do, seemed like he was equally invested in seeing the argument through to the end.

Nothing's wrong, I was showing your uncle my map and he said he can't understand nothin' on it—

That's not what I said.

Sure implied as much, the dusty-gray coyote yapped, and saw Antioch's brow furrow. He turned back to Faith, and gestured to his drawing. How does it look?

The tanned leather hide was soft and light enough for Ichabod's scrawled charcoal markings to be clear and distinct. His lines were relatively neat, though they varied in darkness and width in some places that did not always seem intentional. There were few details – it seemed as if his intention had been to code the design, as the various shapes aligned with landmarks of the new territory.

They were, however, generally too vague to really be understood.

Inferni
DEAD
Mel
Luperci
KARMA POLICE
(better keep your head)

POSTED: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:35 pm

Faith couldn't help but take a step back as the map was thrust into her view. So this was what their bickering was all about? Ichabod seemed so confident in his work while Antioch was left confused on a fair majority of it. A soft sigh passed through her lips. It was at least nice that the one male was trying to make some kind of map showing where their new territory was. No doubt there was something like this back at their old home, now lost to the fires of the mansion. So if nothing else, both of them should at least be thanking him for this in that regard.

However, once her gaze finally met with the piece itself, she couldn't help but feel a bit like Antioch. Some parts of it were easy to point out, like the placement of the church which had been marked by a cross. Sadly.. that was really the only thing she could make out. The outlined borders were easy enough to understand, but there really wasn't much way for someone to mess that up.

Pulling her ears back slightly, the robed girl took a step to the side, now being able to get back into the view of both of them, "You map does look nice Ichabod.. but I can't help to agree with uncle Antioch. I can't understand a lot of your markings. I know you were explaining them to him, but maybe you can for me as well." Her head then shifted over to the de le Poer, "Uncle, what if we all worked on this. Maybe he can tell us what his markings mean and come up with something that would be much easier for everyone to understand," Her head shifted back over to the mapmaker, prompting the following question to him, "Would that be alright?"

There was nothing wrong in taking pride with ones work, but he needed to be flexible in this manner. If the two of them couldn't understand it, then how was anyone else going to?

+300 words.

Faith de le Poer

Loners
Coywolf
Salena
Luperci Chaos Star

POSTED: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:25 pm

[WC: 223]

Ichabod looked disheartened by Faith's statement, and turned the map around so he could look at it. His frown lingered as she went on.

Seeing that the former Scintilla scout looking as he did, Antioch thought the younger man might abandon the project entirely. Not wanting to encourage such self-defeatist attitude, Antioch nodded quickly in agreement with what his niece proposed.

That's a good idea, he announced.

Well...alright, I guess, Ichabod relented, and settled on a rocky outcrop that could provide him a place to squat comfortably. Antioch moved so he was better able to see the map as it was unfurled again, and peered at it with renewed interest.

I figured it would make sense for things to be simple, you know, I ain't the best at draw-wring, so that's why I used shapes – I don't know a lot of letters neither, not really, he admitted abruptly, only to give himself a little shake all over and straighten up. He tapped at the map with one hand – the leather held up only briefly, curling over as he touched it. Anyhow, look, I picked a circle for the caves since that's how they open, see? Doesn't that make sense?

So what's that other circle?

It's an oval, first of all, but that's the lake – that's why it's bigger.

That's confusing.

Inferni
DEAD
Mel
Luperci
KARMA POLICE
(better keep your head)

POSTED: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:43 pm

Faith couldn't help but feel bad to telling the male the truth in regards to the markings of his map, but felt that her idea would at least give all three of them some input on how to improve it. He had already done the baseline, so now it was just a matter of cleaning things up so that everyone would be able to understand it. A smile flashed over to her uncle as he had been the first one to agree with it, Ichabod following along in turn.

Once the map-maker had placed his piece back along his work area, the robed girl stepped forward, letting her gaze fall on the shapes he was pointing out. As he made note to the circle that represented the caves, her finger came down along the shape, "What about having a shape here to show that it is along the mountains? That might help to make it stand out more as the entrance." Then again, maybe he could clarify what he already had was there.

The girl the let her eyes moved over to the oval Ichabod and her uncle were musing over. It was meant to be the lake. Considering the one male admitted he wasn't the greatest at drawing out the shapes, it would probably be too much of him to ask him of sketching the body of water in the actual shape it held. So then the better question was, how could the three of them fix this one?

Then an idea came to her head. Her finger moved back to the circle of the cave system, "Ok, what if you darkened this circle and left the other one lighter? Or maybe did it in a color that would show water?" Unfamiliar with what items the coyotes had or didn't have, it was nice to bring as many options to the table as she could. If this was to be black and white, then they would have to use shading in some of the areas, "I bet if we darken the one for the caves, it would be easier to understand that it is for the caves instead of another lake."

+300 words.

Faith de le Poer

Loners
Coywolf
Salena
Luperci Chaos Star

POSTED: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:06 pm

[WC: 267]

Antioch wasn't as sympathetic as his niece. He understood that Ichabod was suffering from loss, but this was not the sort of thing that should have mattered when it came to his work. They were rebuilding the Clan here, and this required everyone to do enough to make this happen. Wasting energy was inexcusable when they could not spare the fuel to burn. Food was scarce here, and the damn wolves had taken much of their stock. If Ichabod was going to waste his time making something, he might as well do it right.

Hmm, the Southerner hummed. Yeah, that's not a bad idea. I might be able to make somethin' blue once the snow melts.

Do you know how to do that?

No, but someone 'round here might.

The Bellator scoffed again, and eyed the circles and geometric shapes drawn on the map.

Filling in the caves would make the most sense. If you do end up making water a different color, you should use that and draw the river properly.

Well yeah, I'd do that.

The mountains make sense, Antioch admitted, thinking he needed to encourage Ichabod's attempt, confusing as it yet was. You should do something to mark the city like that.

Hmm. Maybe... the tawny gray coyote dragged his finger through the air, miming what looked like a rectangle.

That could work. What else are you putting on there?

I'm not sure yet. The birds, probably. Once we figure out where the best places to hunt are, that might be useful. Ichabod frowned thoughtfully, but looked like he had run out of ideas.

Inferni
DEAD
Mel
Luperci
KARMA POLICE
(better keep your head)

POSTED: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:30 am

Faith was glad to see that her idea was at least working out between the three of them. It meant that all of them would be able to pull together to make something that was easy enough for everyone to understand. At least this way, Ichabod had the base and they would just be able to make small edits. He would still get most of the credit for the creation of the map as it was his work that was mostly going into this.

It seemed that her suggestions were being taken into consideration, between not only adding in the mountains to the map, but also to color in both the cave entrance as well as the lake to the side of it. Blue green gaze moved between the two males, bouncing around ideas on how to obtain the blue hue that would be required for the map. She had no knowledge on how to do this, so it was best not to speak up at this point. Her ideas were better for the labeling of the map.

The brown coyote had an idea to label a bird, but for what purpose seemed a little lost to her. Marking hunting grounds would be great to add once spring came back to the land. Food would be much easier to find then and marking the patterns of their prey would help out their hunters.

One finger moved down to some of the empty areas as she interjected once more, "The bird icon would be for the ravens right? Well how about in these areas where the forests are to label them with some small trees? If you want to use some more color, maybe make them green like the water will be blue? We could then add in later what prey is in the forests and which ones are more out in the open right?" There really wasn't much else that would need to be added after that, just touched up once they had more to look at than the white covered lands of winter.

+300 words.

Faith de le Poer

Loners
Coywolf
Salena
Luperci Chaos Star

POSTED: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:17 pm

[WC: 211]

Yeah, since they have their own area, you know, Ichabod babbled. If Antioch hadn't thought him to be somewhat dumb, he might have thought the scout was acting stupid. He didn't understand why, but he was not driven by the same sort of things which young men (this was laughable between them, and not enough to truly matter) behave oddly. Perhaps the attention was too much – as he understood it, Ichabod had come from a place which did not take time to find the worth of its people.

Listening to his niece's ideas, Antioch imagined a great colorful design and saw why it was Ichabod might have chosen his simple geometric shapes as opposed to any grand illustrations like in the old books.

Use tracks, he suggested. Just one or two, depending on what is where. People will understand that.

Yeah, okay! So maybe some trees here, and the bird here, and I'll color this in, he pointed to the marking for the caves. Yeah, I got it, I think this will work. I'll try and figure out what I can use for color, but I'll just put outlines until then.

He looked terribly excited. It was probably the first time he had looked like this since his cousin died.

Inferni
DEAD
Mel
Luperci
KARMA POLICE
(better keep your head)

POSTED: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:12 pm

Faith had her own ideas, but that was the point of discussing all of this in a group. When she made some suggestion, it could either be accepted, or worked upon. She had no problem with others changing the base of her ideas, so long as it would create a product that not only the three of them were content with, but something that everyone would be able to easily understand from looking at the piece. She hoped that her ideas were not asking too much of the simple mapmaker.

Her uncle chimed in after she had with his own suggestion of using tracks to show what kind of prey would be in certain areas. It was simple and even if one had to ask what it meant, it would be something that could be understood by going to the location. The bird icon itself still made sense for when the ravens would be residing. It would help with any sort of confusion between the tracks and that icon.

The robed girl smiled as it seemed their collaborative work was coming to a close. The map itself had been decided, so it was just left to Ichabod to finish with his work, leaving the two de le Poer's to go on their way. A nod moved from her head before taking a step closer to her uncle, "I'm glad we were able to help you Ichabod. Please let me know when it is finished so I can see the final piece."

As the coyote went on his way, the girl turned her head to Antioch, offering a smile to him as well, "Always good to see you Uncle Antioch. Maybe we can train again sometime?" There was a pause to wait for his answer before she made her way from the gathering space, continuing through the cave system as she had been before the other male had pulled her to the side. Detours were to be expected in this time of adjustment, but there were still other things that needed to get done.

We can end this thread here. +300 words.

Faith de le Poer

Loners
Coywolf
Salena
Luperci Chaos Star

Dead Topics