When all you've got is nothing, there's a lot to go around

POSTED: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:55 pm

Yet now I'm standing here, my heart so full, I can't explain
Seeking faith and speaking words I never thought I'd say.

Faith could not ignore the hardships her clan was going through. Even though Vicira had made the decision to move Infenri away from the wolves surrounding their territory, it was in the middle of winter. This was a time when prey was already scarce to those living around here, but even more so in this new area they had claimed. She had already been giving up some of her prey to her sister and mother before getting to eat herself, but both of her family members would rather share the meal among the three of them, and Hope, not taking more than anyone else.

The robed girl had gone out a few times, but finding prey was proving difficult, especially when her mind had become distracted by the chill feelings she could sense creeping around her. It wasn't the same as the winter wind in the air. They were in certain places. It was strange... and Smoky too...

The older sibling made her way to her feet, removing her clothing as she began to shift. Lupus form was not as natural to her, at least not for a while since she herself had been a pup.. but it was superior to her when it came to hunting. Pacing out of the cave, the wind bit against her fur.

"Wait for me!"

Dahlia's voice rang from behind her, the younger sibling padding towards her older one, "What are you doing here Dahlia?" Her tail wagged behind her, "I want to go hunting with you." A thought had crossed her mind. Perhaps this wouldn't be so bad. THe numbers would be there, and while her sister was still young.. she may be able to catch some of the smaller prey. The more they had, the better off the clan would be.

Tilting her head out towards the snow covered land, the de le Poer sisters padded forward. Faith brushed her tail gently against her sister as she paused, taking in the scents, "Move slowly and carefully. We have to see if we can smell anything before we hunt."

One scent managed to catch her nose. Stalking towards it, a couple of skinny dear stood out against the pale snow. Head turned over to Dahlia as she made her own approach, whispering, "Keep quiet and watch me. These are too big for you."

Thread Prompt: Winter has left the Eastern Realms barren. Small prey and starved deer roam through the territory, but this month is a particularly lean oneā€”and sacrifices need to be made. Have your coyote give up a fresh-caught meal to their friend, or make the tough decision to slaughter one of our livestock. +400 words.

Faith de le Poer

Inferni
Civilis
Salena
Luperci Spiritualist Chaos Star

POSTED: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:43 pm

Winter was at its height, and Hope found herself losing weight as the days passed by. Food was scarce in this new place, and the hunters were unfamiliar with the terrain – things that did not bode well for the coyote clan. Hope Lykoi was an adult, old enough to be able to fend for herself and not so old that she was frail, and she found herself giving up portions of her dinner to her family, and the young, and the elderly rather than keeping it for herself. It was the right thing to do, to ensure the clan remained strong.

She was more watchful of her sisters here, and so when Dahlia went off after Faith, Hope soon followed in her tracks. Wouldn't two hunters work better than one? This was Hope's idea as she silently stalked after the duo, on two legs rather than four, with the silent grace of a predator. The snow made for a smoky canvas to walk across.

Faith stopped, and Hope moved closer, eventually crouching amidst her sisters without offering much greeting. These are too big for you, said the darker of the twins, and Hope nodded her agreement. Dahlia was still too small to be of much use against bigger, more nourishing fare, though these deer were waifish creatures who hadn't had an easy season. There wasn't much meat to truly nourish anyone, and yet it was the prey they were forced to hunt. Perhaps next year, they would be better prepared; this year, if they survived it, would simply be a year of hardship to remember in the future.

[wc: 272] We weren't sure what to do with them anyways, right? So I'm stealing this one and we can have a sister hunting party, yay.
stand face to face with your God

and find out what you are

Inferni
Tirones
Kiki

POSTED: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:19 am

As the pair of sisters made their way to the outside world, Faith's head turned over her shoulder to see Hope following along behind them. A smile moved across her muzzle, happy to see that she would be joining them as well. The family was working together.

But the darker sister had also seen the weight that her sister was losing as the days went on. All of them were starting to look like this... Even herself. Prey was getting harder and harder to find, but they would need it to survive. Like her twin sister, she had been giving up whatever meals she had been able to catch to Dahlia and Crucifix before herself. The sisters were managing fine enough, and even they took the time to eat when it came right down to it.. but the young and the elderly were at the most risk. They would need more than others.

Once Hope took up her position with the two of them, Faith began to make her move. It was hard to find hiding places to make her approach when much of the green had disappeared from the world. At least she wouldn't have to worry about her younger sibling now that she was in her lighter sister's care. Besides.. hunting for them was better suited in this form.. while Hope remained in her more suited two-legged form. Dahlia watched their sister move with anticipation, watching the way she moved and paused in her stalking.

Trailing along the snow, the darker girl came closer and closer to the frail deer. Then her presense became known. With what little meat was on them, it wasn't hard to catch one of them. It still fought, but the end for this prey was inevitable. Her jaws sank into the throat, pressing them there before the life was drained out of the deer's body.

Once it was dead, she flicked her tail as a sign for her other sisters to come out. Dahlia came bounding out first, "You got it Faith!"

Opps, this is the real post here. Thanks for joining Kiki. +300 words.

Faith de le Poer

Inferni
Civilis
Salena

POSTED: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:58 pm

She was sure their mother would be pleased to see them working as a trio, even though it was Faith who went to collect the deer; Dahlia was left with Hope, who encouraged her quietly to watch the way Faith hunted, and gave tips on how to hunt effectively herself, when she was able to. It was better that Dahlia learned now, surmised the pale-furred Lykoi, rather than when she was older and would be awkward on the field. It was better for all of them if Inferni learned how to hunt more capably, and if they learned to range farther than their new home.

Hope didn't enjoy hunting, but survival was the most important part of this place.

The smell of blood, and the motion of her twin, heralded the emergence of the other two. Dahlia was ebullient, and it brought a smile to pale Hope's sober features to see the youngest girl so full of enthusiasm. It was heartening to know that spirits weren't dampened in the young, even if the old seemed to crumble in these trying times. Do you think it's going to be enough? wondered Hope, trying to tiptoe verbally around a tender subject, the subject of eating and keeping their family fed. It was a small deer, but there weren't others around; they would be more hungry if they hunted too long and came away with nothing. A precarious balance.

[wc: 242]

Inferni
Tirones
Kiki

POSTED: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:37 pm

Faith's hunting skills were nothing for her to be leaping up and down about. She had only grown more used to them since Inferni came to their new home. It was necessary for them to be fit and fast in order to get something on their stomachs. The more she would be able to catch, the better fed all of them would be.. there was just one issue with that.. If the coyotes hunted everything in the area.. then there would be nothing left for them to make it through the winter. They had to be careful with what was being killed, and what was being left alive. In that sense, perhaps it was better she caught a lean deer... even if they would still be hungry after it.

The darker sibling stepped off the prey, taking a step back to lick her lips and her claws of the blood she had drawn. Dahlia was quick to make her way over, happy that her older sister was able to catch something. Hope soon followed behind her, her pace slower than their younger sister. Both of them were more aware of their situation than the younger one was.

Head lowered as her blue green eyes looked over the deer's body. Faith gave a small shake of her head, sitting back down in the snow, "No.. I don't think it will be. It's not that big and it's lost weight just like we have.." Her head turned to the side, offering a small sigh, "It's moments like this I wish Vicira had waited until spring before we moved here.."

Not wanting to dwell on what could have been, or blaming the new leader for her choice, the Civilis turned her attention back to the catch, then let her gaze move up to her sister's thinned figure. No doubt she would want something on her stomach to help hold her over. There was the option of trying to hunt something else, but she would need to track again to find anything, seeing as the other deer ran off once the first one had been attacked. Lowering her gaze once more, she pushed the corpse towards her sisters, "Here, both of you should eat. You look like you need a meal Hope. I can go without it for a bit to hunt more or another day."

+400 words.

Faith de le Poer

Inferni
Civilis
Salena

POSTED: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:11 pm

Faith voiced the concerns that left weak points in Hope's heart, that it wasn't enough, and that the move during winter was a dangerous one indeed. Dahlia seemed oblivious – it was better that way, better that the youngest of them, the best of them, were unaffected by the world-weariness of their elders. Hope tried to smile for both of her sisters, attempting to be reassuring in expression if not words.

You look like you need a meal, Hope. It reminded her that she was hungry, that her stomach gnawed at itself more often than not, but the taller of the twins shook her head in denial. If you can survive another day, so can I, she assured, I don't hunt like you do. Not very well at all. It was truth; Hope's prowess was not in killing animals, but in fostering them.

We could kill one of the pigs, she suggested, staring at the corpse and its weedy limbs. It wasn't fit for pack consumption, they would need more meat. Hope began to turn inward, to the animals that the coyotes had gathered as time passed. There were sheep, and pigs, and chicken – things that could be plucked and skinned and turned into meals. Even the rabbits were fair game when the coyotes were hungry, though Hope dared not think about having to cull the sweet, long-eared critters.

[wc: 235]

Inferni
Tirones
Kiki

POSTED: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:14 am

Faith had done everything she could to provide for her family, but to the admitance that her work was not enough drove a hole in her heart. In a way, it felt like once again she was doing nothing but failing all of them. Hope's strengths were not in hunting, and Dahlia was still only learning. Their mother had always been a shell since their father leaving and Izual's actions. It all fell down onto her. She knew that her sibling was doing the best she could, but she had certain strengths, ones that would be better suited for some time when the snow wasn't covering the ground.

The older sibling insisted that if the darker one could go without a meal, then the lighter one could as well. The younger one looked between her two older siblings, Faith stepping forward, "Go ahead and eat Dahlia. I'm just going to talk to Hope for a moment." The prey wasn't much, but would be enough for at least the smallest of all of them.. if only enough until they could figure something out.

The lupus girl sat next to her sister, watching the youngest before her blue-green gaze shifted over to Hope's. Her suggestion made sense.. kill something that had much more meat on it, then the whole family would have something to eat.. but then again.. their stocks were already dangerously low from the burning of the mansion. There was only so much left. If they started to kill what livestock they had left, then what would be left for them by the time winter was over? One pig may not have seemed like much, but there were likely others in the clan with the same idea. Then what would it come down to?

A soft sigh passed through Faith's lips before moving back up onto her two feet, "As much as I'm not fond of the idea.. and I'm sure you aren't as well.. if may be our only option to get all of us fed.. Let's at least check at what livestock is left before we do. Ok?" Head shifted over as Dahlia continued to tear at the sad excuse of a deer, getting what little meat she could before rejoining her sisters, "Are you done talking to Hope?"

+400 words.

Faith de le Poer

Inferni
Civilis
Salena

Dead Topics