Knives out

Antioch and Red are gonna BE MANLY MEN

POSTED: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:43 pm

Posing as hardcore
Either/Or

Over the course of the month or so that had passed since Inferni's northward move, Redtooth kept busy with the largest undertaking he had ever set out to complete in his short life. He had help, of course. He would need help. More hands and know-how were tantamount for success of this giant project. Mostly, Redtooth found a good partner in Antioch; another family man who was good with his hands.

By the light of a slow burning candle, Redtooth drew the plans for Inferni's great revival on a long piece of discarded parchment. It was a sprawling piece of pure ambition; a stable, fenced pasture, cabins, a smokehouse with an attached pantry, and defensive outposts around the perimeter to protect it all -- it was the whole nine yards. On the lower left hand corner of the parchment, Redtooth had even drawn a diagram outlining a notch and peg system that he had cleverly devised for stable construction without the use of scavenged nails.

He often took the plans to his mate and Antioch and would make adjustments according to their feedback. Versace would get her kitchen. Vicira, she was getting a goddamn estate (even though she didn't ask for it). And Redtooth, he was more than excited to do it. This piece of paper would bring them out of the stone age and into the light.

When Redtooth finalized the plans (and when he and Antioch cut down enough trees for phase one of construction), the real fun could begin. They would start with the barn -- the centerpiece from which everything would radiate outward from. Redtooth drew up a secondary plan before they started. It was a schematic of the barn itself, outlining where each beam would go; where each cut would be made and the precise measurements required to make it happen. It took hours -- days for he and Antioch to frame the barn. The cold only made it harder as they struggled against the snow, but progress was steady.

She stood as a skeleton for now. Bare bones, but all framed out. The outer walls were nearly finished, constructed from knocked logs of pine. They connected at the ends like Lincoln Logs, stacking easily.

Redtooth stood back and consulted the plans. He squinted, looking up from the parchment to the unfinished barn. The roof, he thought... they needed to do the roof next. "So," Redtooth said to Antioch as he rolled the parchment up to put it back in his satchel. "You ready for the fun part?" And by fun, he meant dangerous.

OOC drivel goes here.
We are what we are. Get in the goddamn car.
Inferni
Magister
Ryan
Luperci Woodcutter Mate to Vicira Tears I HAVE A BIG HEAD AND LITTLE ARMS

POSTED: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:55 pm

[WC: 246]

In Antioch's opinion, the only things they could trust were structures they themselves fashioned, and that was why he had agreed to help Redtooth with his project. He thought the man adequate, and supposed if Vicira had decided to have children with Redtooth there surely had to be something which made him a promising match. Then again, perhaps it had merely been their common traits – as was the case of Antioch and Versace – and circumstance which brought the pair together.

In either case, they were relatives in some sense of the word and so when asked, Antioch agreed to help.

The work was mostly clearing space at first, cutting trees which could be spared while carefully leaving others. Antioch offered commentary on things like defense and sight-lines, and they made use of Scout to confirm these when the pair could not make a proper decision from the ground.

Over time, Antioch found himself more comfortable doing this work. He still didn't like keeping on two legs and his posture showed as much – like he was eager to be back on all fours – even as they lingered near the wooden frame of what was to become their barn. He was scowling at his belt, adjusting it for the third time. Extra materials had weighed it down, forcing him to tighten it properly.

Ready enough, he responded. His gaze turned upwards again, focusing on the bare roof. How do you want to do this?

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood
signature art by Songbird
Inferni
Bellator III
Mel
Luperci Multiple Co-Ranks Level III Immunes Chaos Star
KARMA POLICE
(better keep your head)

POSTED: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:21 pm

Posing as hardcore
Either/Or

Sucking in breath through his teeth, Redtooth drew his gaze from the framed out roof to the stoic face of his brother in-law. He scratched his head and grimaced. "So, about that," he said. "Funny thing. I've, uh -- I haven't actually ever done a roof before. Like, fully." Sure, Redtooth had done some patch jobs here and there and he was a proficient carpenter, but a project of this scope was beyond anything he had ever done. The walls were easy. He could build walls all day, but Redtooth had never built a roof.

The support struts ran at a gentle slope of roughly 35 degrees with a foot of space between each beam. Redtooth supposed they'd just have to tack the boards down to the struts and call it a day. It couldn't be too hard, right? Right?

"I suppose one of us is gonna have to climb on up there and nail them boards to the struts," suggested Redtooth. "I can do it though, if you hand me the planks from below." He grabbed his pack and fished for the hammer that rested on a bed of nails and brandished it. "This part'll probably be pretty trial and error. You ready?" he asked, stepping toward the unfinished barn while priming himself for the climb. "I'mma need a boost to get up there."

OOC drivel goes here.
Inferni
Magister
Ryan

POSTED: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:36 pm

[WC: 254]

Antioch frowned.

He peered up at the framework, and was pleased that Redtooth – despite his inexperience – seemed eager to go climbing up there. It was a solid building, sure (Antioch was very pleased with this) but it wasn't natural to go clambering around like a squirrel.

Besides, if one of them was going to get hurt falling off a roof (of lack thereof), Antioch would be a greater loss.

Yeah, that sounds fine, he agreed in response to the plan. Roofing was a new concept to him, but he was curious and Redtooth's enthusiasm was inescapable. It felt useful too, since there wasn't much to hunt and the only trouble they had was hardly worth note. He liked spending time with Versace and the baby, but that seemed selfish. Inferni was recovering, but slowly. Winter would stall them as much as their lack of food and game.

The big coyote sighed with great degection but came to the side of the barn. He laced his fingers together and cupped his pales, bending at the knee.

Don't fall, he instructed, and hoisted Redtooth upwards once the coyote stepped into his hands. It was a move which had been learned to help his children mount the family horse when they were too small to do so on their own. Antioch was relatively capable of gauging the force he needed for such an action. Redtooth was heavy enough that the Bellator put some force behind it, meaning to get him up as quickly as possible.

Inferni
Bellator III
Mel
KARMA POLICE
(better keep your head)

POSTED: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:34 pm

Posing as hardcore
Either/Or

With Antioch's help, Redtooth hoisted himself up and climbed hand over foot onto the structure's skeletal roof. The narrow support struts that ran the lengthy of the roof were hardly conducive for balance, particularly for a small pawed coyote. He held one for dear life with both hands. Redtooth felt unstable; like he was one easy mistake away from falling flat on his ass into the snow below.

Redtooth skittered into position like a drunken spider attempting to weave a passible web. He looked down a reached for the pack slung along his side. He felt around for his hammer. Nestled beneath were several hundred scavenged nails. All there. "All right," Redtooth called nervously, "moment of truth ." The drumbeat of his heart threatened to knock him from his perch.

"Board me," he said, reaching a hand down toward Antioch. Redtooth lay flat along his stomach across the support struts as if it were some sort of ladder. He stuck his arm all the way through.

As he waited, Redtooth asked Antioch, "You ever done somethin' like this before?" He couldn't remember if Antioch had ever mentioned construction to him before. He did, however, prove to be a good partner to have. Antioch was strong and pretty good at lifting heavy objects -- one of the basic tenants of man shit and construction.

I am SOOOOOO sorry for the wait on this.
Inferni
Magister
Ryan

POSTED: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:57 pm

[WC: 209]

It was a good thing Redtooth wasn't that big, Antioch thought, because he sure looked like any more weight on him would have been disastrous up there. Somehow he found a foothold and scrambled up to a point that provided support.

Though he had followed his progress on the ground below, the tall Bellator could do little to help once Redtooth was on the bare roof. That it didn't fall was promising, and encouraged him in the endeavor. Creating something new after losing so much felt good, and it felt better to know he had toiled to bring it to fruition. This was the sort of thing which felt like proper work, given how his arms would ache after. It was productive to more than just himself.

Antioch picked up one of their prepared pieces, carried it over and reached up to extended the board to his construction partner.

Not on this scale, he admitted, releasing his grip on the plank when Redtooth confirmed he had it. I built a crib for my kids, and did a few small repairs. You? The rusty-colored man had been the guiding voice on these projects as the days had gone on, though several hands had went into getting them to this point.

Inferni
Bellator III
Mel
KARMA POLICE
(better keep your head)

Dead Topics