Thinking never to have left the world, you grieve

POSTED: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:12 pm

[227]

The lagoon was swathed in cold, thick fog — and as Clover walked through frigid waters and cracked ice beneath her feet, she struggled to see more than a few feet in front of her. To make matters worse, a drizzle had fallen overnight that froze once it reached the trees; this left a thin glaze of ice on everything, making the ground treacherous. Even the birches were encased in ice, leaving her hands cold as she grabbed at them for balance. It was a miserable place to stroll through, to be sure.

Clover wouldn’t even have been here if she hadn’t seen something odd in the wood.

It had only been a glimpse of a misty shape more opaque than the fog around it, but the shape had been tall like a wolf. At first, spotting it out of the corner of her eye, Clover had turned and barked threateningly — but the way the would-be trespasser “disappeared” hadn’t been natural. When she reached the spot where it stood, she smelled nothing, even though its odor would have pooled near the earth like the heavy fog.

She might have disowned Jehan in a sense, but she could never forget his teachings. Some of the beliefs he instilled in her lingered; she had more conviction than he did.

And so here she was, chasing ghosts.
Loners
Dog
Raze
oderint dum metuant
unconditional loyalty

POSTED: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:32 pm

Yet now I'm standing here, my heart so full, I can't explain
Seeking faith and speaking words I never thought I'd say.

With her mind set on so many other things, there wasn't much time to dedicate to Faith's new found.. power? No, that wasn't the right word for it. Her sight? Her senses? Whatever it was making her feel the things she was around her. Hunting and care for Crucifix, Hope, and Dahlia had become the primary task in her daily life. They need to eat. If anything, Basilio's two daughters were the ones losing the most weight, ensuring their younger sibling and mother had the greater share before taking anything to eat for themselves. There were often times when she insisted her lighter sibling ate before she did, sometimes leaving her with nothing.

With the feeling of hunger sometimes weighing her down, it was nice to find something to distract her from the feeling. The robed girl had been glad about one thing. At least her clothing could hide what the lack of food was doing to her figure. They were still in the middle of winter, so it would be a while before much more prey came back. All she had to do was endure until then.

Faith made her way outside, feet trailing along in the snow as she soon came to the swampy plains of Inferni's new territory.. or well the frozen swamps. With how cold it was getting, it was no surprise to see the water in the area was freezing. That didn't mean they were safe from danger. If anything, there was more risk in this, making sure it wasn't too thin to have someone fall through.

Then something was caught out of the corner of her eye.

It was but a flash, but from what she had seen before, was the outlining of a wolf. She had seen something like this before with the one known as 'smoky', but this ones features were much more noticible than his had been. Taking a step back, her eyes followed its movements before the sound of something else caught her attention. Clover came forward, following after the figure. Waiting for the dog woman to come closer, the Civilis offered her a small smile, "Hey Clover. I didn't think I'd find you out here."

+300 words.

Faith de le Poer

Loners
Coywolf
Salena
Luperci Chaos Star

POSTED: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:39 pm

[193]

Where the wraith vanished among the mist, another being emerged -- this one corporeal. Clover stopped and flashed a smile back at the girl, though it was a smile that faded slightly as she noticed the Civilis' slight gauntness. They all looked a bit thin these days, she supposed, but she couldn't help but remember the little puppy at Crucifix's teat when she looked at Faith. Clan was family -- and so when the clan hungered, it was mothers and daughters and cousins who hungered.

"Yeah, shitty place to walk around I guess,"
the gray dog agreed, lacking a filter as per usual. She flipped her head, pushing shaggy hair out of her face, and squinted quickly back into the mist, hoping to see the figure. "I was, uh, I thought that I saw --"

There it was, the vague face and almost formless body, among the birches. She let out a holler and started running toward the figure.

"Hey man, I see you, don't vanish on me!"

It was gone when she reached it, her foot hitting a patch of ice, and she fell on her ass with a torrent of curses.
Loners
Dog
Raze
oderint dum metuant
unconditional loyalty

POSTED: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:25 pm

Hunger was becoming a problem for everyone in the clan, but unlike most, Faith could hide away the loss to her figure with the robes she wore over her body. Her mother and siblings had too been losing weight like the rest of them, but not nearly at the rate she and Hope were. They were the family's providers.. and with Dahlia still learning.. she was sure to have more failures than successes. Teaching her would be much better in the spring and seasons after that. Then the clan could begin to build up its communal supply of meat once more.

The robed girl's head tipped in confusion to Clover's words. No it wasn't her language that did this, but rather her claim to thinking she had seen something. Her own sight had cut off her words, gaze lingering in a direction past the two of them. Blue green eyes turned over, following the direction of her own.

And then her eyes went wide.

She had been able to see some things. With the case of Smoky, the little pup found by the tree, she could only just barely make out his outline. This encounter was much different, able to see the full form of whatever was here. This spirit? The dog woman had already moved past her, chasing after what seemed to be the same thing the younger girl saw. Could Clover then she the spirits just as she could? Maybe then.. they could talk of all the other feelings she had. There were many within the walls of the church.. and maybe she would be able to see Smoky better than she could have.

Ears moved up as the spirit vanished, leaving Clover to fall against the ice. Faith picked up her pace, making her way over to her mother's friend, offering a hand out to her. At least the ice was along the ground rather than a body of water. No need to risk her falling through chasing after something like this, "You saw it too? I thought I was the only one who could see things like that.. but this is the first one I have seen in full form."

+300 words.

Faith de le Poer

Loners
Coywolf
Salena
Luperci Chaos Star

POSTED: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:45 am

[270]

Her rear bruised and cold, Clover growled and started to get her feet under her. Her limbs shook lightly from the impact with the ground, and she started to slip again before Faith appeared at her side and held out a dark paw for her to take. Grunting thanks, the dog stood up and stepped onto softer ground, shaking out her tail and smoothing the cold fluff on her thighs.

She frowned at the question. "Really?" she asked -- not doubting that Faith had seen the ghost, but surprised that more hadn't noticed the specters and minor spirits that lingered in this burned land. "I mean, yeah, I saw him." She rubbed at her butt again, grimacing. "I see a lot of them around here. Ghosts, I mean. You know that's what they are, right?" She looked Faith over doubtfully; Jehan had prattled on a bit about the god many Infernians kept, and she didn't know if such a thing would align with Faith's, well, faith.

"I think most of them died when this place caught fire,"
Clover added, and the fur stood along her spine and she shivered. Her eyes went distant, and she wrapped her arms around herself -- though it was fear and grief, rather than cold, that bothered her now. The mansion's burning, the wails of fear, of grief, were not so far away from her.

Would Cartier become a ghost? Would Omar? Clover hadn't considered it. Would they be trapped back home?

"It's..." Her breath hitched between her teeth, and she fought to recover. "Fuckin' depressing is what it is."
Loners
Dog
Raze
oderint dum metuant
unconditional loyalty

POSTED: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:13 pm

Sensing the spirits was something anyone was likely able to do if they paid enough attention. There were clear signs of them being in the area, or even just around someone. Cold spots where there was no wind.. the soft whispers in the air with no explination.. and if they were able to pay close enough attention, the small outlines of their physical forms. Since her incident with Smokey, Faith had been able to see more and more of them, even if most of them were just the pale outlines. Now.. this was one far greater than any she had before.

The robed girl caught the sight of the frown that came upon the dog woman's face. A nod escaped from her to the question, "Yes.. I know what they are. I have been seeing more and more of them now.. before I could only just sense them."

The Cilivis was not full aware of the reasoning behind why Inferni left these lands in the first place. From the meeting that had taken place before their move from between the other packs, it was clear the clan used to call this place home. Now she was much more aware of why. A fire.. much like they had suffered in the burning of the mansion. Now they were returning to the once burned lands that were now beginning to grow once more, and fill itself with new life. Here, they were separated from the rest of the packs, and it was here they too would be able to rebuild themselves from the ashes.

Clover's breath grew soft, her tone changing from how it had before. It was depressing.. knowing that at one point, all these spirits once lived in these lands. They had all been alive once...

Trying not to let the mood dwell on this point, Faith gave another nod in agreement to what she had said, trying to push it along to something a bit more up beat. Most of the clan was already suffering from hunger, and this didn't need to come on top of it, "It is.. but what about this one here? Why were you chasing it? Had it dome something to you?" Was it even possible for a ghost to do such a thing?

+300 words.

Faith de le Poer

Loners
Coywolf
Salena
Luperci Chaos Star

POSTED: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:58 pm

Jehan said -- Clover started to answer, but the man's name soured on her tongue like the bog water around them. She sighed in frustration then tapped her temple. I heard it's easier to see 'em if you believe in the first place.

It made sense. One tended to notice more things if one was looking for them. But at the same time, Jehan had also taught her that spirits had a limited pool of strength, too. Those who died violently, those who had a reason to linger on, who were remembered; these ghosts found it easier to manifest. For someone to believe in them might give them strength. Looking around at the burned trees, Clover mused that no one had believed in or remembered these dead Luperci for a long time.

Huh? Oh, no, I uhh -- The dog glanced down self-consciously and puffed a stray curl out of her face. I just wanted to get a better look at it. She paused. I guess I scared it off, she said, laughing at the thought of frightening someone already dead. Then she continued on, happy to move on from darker thoughts. You know, I heard they can talk sometimes. If they're strong enough. I wonder what that one would say to us. He looked like a wolf, a little; maybe he used to be Inferni's enemy and he's pissed that we've come back.

These lands had not properly belonged to the coyote clan, after all. That distinction went to the beach beyond the mountains they sheltered in now -- but the old strand was even less suited to the hungry coyotes than this godforsaken forest was.

Loners
Dog
Raze
oderint dum metuant
unconditional loyalty

Dead Topics