Hey North, you're South, shut your big mouth

Hope | afternoon

POSTED: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:11 pm

Virue had decided on doing something very different today. He decided to do something a little ridiculous, a little courageous. It seemed like something Redtooth or Jehan may have convinced him to do, but that didn’t happen. Virue figured this one out all by himself, and all it took was a slanted roof facing a snowbank near the edge of town. It was a short walk from the church, and Virue’s wooden sled left long streaks in the fresh falling snow. When he arrived he just stood there, considering the drop. He wondered if it was such a good idea after all.

Virue was wearing his hoodie, some thick pants, and a tattered red scarf around his neck. The wind blew, and the end of his scarf rose under the short push. A little nudge from the sky. There was a shack alongside the building with the slanted roof. The tin shack was squat, and built right into the house. Virue was able to climb up the opposite side fairly easily, and when he got to the top of the shack he looked around. The steeple of the church was there in the distance, and the opposite way Enigma Lake, looking like a colossal footprint under the shadow of the clouds. The Sciens coughed once, letting out a curling puff of breath, and leapt up to grab the edge of the roof. He gripped the ledge with resilient fingers, claws digging into the spongy roofing, or at least what was left of it. He succeeded in getting himself up, and as soon as he did he let out a quick sigh, rubbing his hands together.

Virue walked carefully to the opposite edge. The edge he wanted to fly off of on a wooden device before careening into a snowbank down below. An empty bird’s nest sat at the corner of the roof, resting on a remaining morsel of eavestrough. Virue’s bright eyes swept across the snow that had settled on the rooftop, the wind dusting the soft grains of white. Peeling it off layer by layer and sending it into the sky. His ears wafted higher, because he thought he’d heard a few birds chirping, but when he looked to the nest nothing was there. Just dried up, frozen bits of plant life from seasons before, all stuck together. He looked down, realizing he’d left his sled down below. He sat down, tugged at his scarf, but otherwise he didn’t move. He just sat there, wondering when he would shake his head and begin the descent back down. But for some reason he didn’t move. Just like the bird’s nest, he was frozen in place.
Last edited by Virue on Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gotta gotta be down because I want it all
Loners
Hybrid
Daniel
Luperci
light and match
TWO GULPS

POSTED: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:45 pm

Snow was intriguing to Hope, and it brought her namesake into her life. The white blanket promised a new season when it melted away, a season of new flowers and trees, a season of new growth, a season of birth. That was what Inferni needed, a warmer season that promised new life, new children and new animals. A season of newness would bring spirit back into her friends and family. Fatter deer would help; that was the beauty of spring, and Hope missed the warmer seasons already. Snow was not to her taste.

On dainty coyote feet, she drifted through the snow, her stubby tail twitching behind her as it skimmed the white surface. She was heading for the church, a place of comfort for her, a place to pray. Prayer made her days start off properly. Without it, she floundered a bit, feeling unfulfilled. Naturally, this was where she headed when the sun rose high overhead. This was where she was when she smelled a fellow clanmate pass by. This was where she was when she poked her head out to watch as Virue, clad in his sweatshirt and scarf, climbed the roof of a small shack. What was he doing?

What was he doing?

What if he fell? Who would help him if he became injured? Hope found herself fretting over this possibility. Why would anyone do something as foolish as climb a snowy roof? Her feet carried her across the snow, following in the footprints of the fellow sitting above her. He had left something on the ground, something she squinted down at as she came into closer view. What are you doing up there? she demanded to know, stepping around the sled gingerly. You should come down.

[wc: 291]
stand face to face with your God

and find out what you are

Kiki

POSTED: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:01 am

The chirping continued in the boy’s head. It seemed to echo out into the cold winter air. He rubbed his face with both hands. Suddenly the chirping stopped, and when the white landscape came back, he sent his eyes out into the void to investigate. Someone was walking toward him. As she came closer he wondered if she were simply passing by, as if further on there was a much more interesting thing happening. Then he remembered what he was doing there on the roof, and realized he was the one doing something interesting for once.

Being there on the roof and looking out at Inferni made the coydog feel so small. The territory was already so new to him, and then it had been gripped by the season as it came into full swing. He felt like he was visiting a new world; just there, taking in the scenery and trying desperately not to get lost. This was the exact reason why he’d gone wandering around in the first place, why he’d found the slanted rooftop that gave him the wild idea to drag his toboggan over. It seemed like something fun to do to make the sun set just a little bit faster. Virue glanced down to his wooden marvel, with its paint-spattered boards. The reds and oranges left over from the skulls he painted and placed at the borders. Then all at once there was someone different walking past that sled, stopping there to look up at him. She spoke, and at first he didn’t hear, but then he did as if hands had swept open a great curtain he didn’t know was there. Virue blinked out of that place he visited so often when he thought too hard, when he was trying to wonder about things no one else cared about, and at last he looked in her direction. “I-I was just…” a cold breeze nudged him and he shivered, “I was j-just thinking about s-some things,” he told her. It sounded kind of dull, like he’d purposely plucked some mundane thing out of the air to bore her, but that was the truth, and Virue of all people knew the imagination was far from bland. Sometimes it scared him, suggested things that made his spine shake, and sometimes it pushed new life into something ordinary. It was his chance to take the world, turn it on its axis, and watch the colours spin. She asked him to come down and his bright eyes fluttered up over her a short distance, he smiled nervously at nothing in particular. “I w-would...but I d-don’t think I want to now.” Then he felt odd, because he had something else to say. It was one of those ‘weird’ things that Rialu thought to be ludicrous as a proper realist, and Virue wondered if it was stupid after all. The he said it anyway: “I...c-came up h-here to do someth-thing...” he began, a little cautious, “and I think I’d regret it i-ff I came b-back down without doing wh-what I set out to do.” Then he turned suddenly, blue eyes sharp as they studied the nest again. His ears moved to, but for a whole other reason. They were clumsily dancing with his words, living out the liveliest form of his nerves there in the air above his striped head.

He stood and felt the cold air wash over him. His scarf wacked him in the face with a sudden gust, so Virue grabbed the loose end and wrapped it further around his neck. He slowly began moving closer to the edge, but the roof was very wet, and his feet slid out from underneath him. He slid to the edge on his back, and managed to slow himself to a stop using his hands. He decided to play it off as if he’d meant to that the entire time, knowing fully well it probably looked really cool when he did it...or not. “C-could you hand me up m-my toboggan p-please?” He turned himself around and went on his belly so his head was at the very edge. Not quite in the gutter, but very, very close. He nervously awaited her decision, but knew either way he was sliding off this roof—with or without something underneath him.
Hybrid
Daniel
Luperci
light and match
TWO GULPS

POSTED: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:00 pm

The fellow had a stutter as he spoke, either from the chill air or hesitation on his part; Hope hoped it was the latter, as it meant talking him down from the roof of the building would be easier. She was not fond of heights, she was made uncomfortable being too far off the ground, for what happened if you fell and broke something important? Who would put it back together? This fellow especially seemed unsuited to climbing up there. Hadn't he only gained two legs recently?

Oh, but he was determined, wasn't he. He said he was thinking about some things and he said he would come down, but now he didn't want to – something needed to be done up there, claimed Virue, and Hope simply allowed a frown to form on her delicate coyote features. She understood regret, but hardly thought it would be applicable to not breaking a limb if he were to fall from such a height.

Would she hand him his toboggan? And he asked so nicely, very polite, and it caused Hope's ears to flatten against her hair gently. She supposed it would be safer if he had something under him, wouldn't it? And he wanted this sled on the ground. With a great sigh, one formed of many small sighs, she lifted it from the snow underfoot and approached the shack to offer it back to its owner. I think this is a very bad idea, chided the Lykoi as the sled was given back, and she shook her head a couple times, still full of worry for Virue's well-being.

[wc: 274]
stand face to face with your God

and find out what you are

Kiki

Dead Topics