We can't wait to burn it to the ground

Faith | Night

POSTED: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:26 pm

Virue remembered his room in the mansion, despite having been there for such a brief amount of time. He’d visited those halls in his dreams that night. The walls were dark, the floorboards cold. But then the sound of footsteps trickled down the corridor and stopped at the foot of his door. Tendrils of smoke began to drift from the cracks and pool on the ceiling. The warm gray fingers coiled and twisted. Screams now, and the walls began to burn. The heat swarmed him, beckoned for him to escape. He watched his poems burn, his easel and canvas. A rainbow of long-dried paint boils and smokes into the air. The fumes began to suffocate him as all the paintings he didn’t dare touch were swallowed by torrents of flame, and four pairs of eyes were staring at him as they turned to ash.

Virue was awake now, holding a candle at his chest. His face glowed in the dim, and his eyes sparkled. He’d gone to bed a few hours early with his exhaustion from the day’s activity setting on him. In his other hand was the string tied to his toboggan as he pulled it across the pale snow. He thought of those faces, the ones that had burned in the masnion, before burning again in his nightmare. Kaena, Halo, Anslem, and the painter himself. Virue didn’t know them, but they knew who he was. He had invaded their room.

As he walked, the scout turned to face the skulls he’d painted. There was well over a dozen, adorned with fiery colours and markings inspired by Diego’s ashen decals. The same style that had inspired him so long ago. He remembered meeting Jehan and Clover for the very first time, showing off his new stripes as if he’d won the world. As if it had just been painted into his fur. His eyes became full and open as the memory grew sour. He remembered when Virue had gone along with Jehan and the Cenizans to mark the borders of their home, to show the world one untamable voice. He turned out toward Inferni’s nighttime look-alike, and gritted his teeth. He wanted to scream, but instead he dropped the string and stepped toward the sled that was piled with skulls. He sat down and just stared out into the cold dusk with the candle’s glow spilling across his fingers. It was beginning to hurt his eyes, so he squashed the little flame into the snow and heard the delicate fizzling. Virue stood and threw the candle. He watched the wax shatter into several pieces against a tree. He sat back down and put his hands on his head. His poetry mocked him now as his breathing went silent and his blue eyes flickered. One more flame dies down, In a crowd, But we watch, We watch. Virue shook away his memories now. The mansion, the fire, the death, the pain, and instead the boy took up his little sled and began dragging it through the snow once more. He would show everyone who looked in that they weren’t the only ones who could play with fire.
Last edited by Virue on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
coming out of my cage and I've been doing just fine
Inferni
Quintus (NPC)
Daniel
Luperci Patrolman, Shepherd
light and match

POSTED: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:42 pm

Yet now I'm standing here, my heart so full, I can't explain
Seeking faith and speaking words I never thought I'd say.

The days continued on, moving from one snow covered day to the next. Winter was proving to be more taxing than all of them had first begun to believe. For having so much support behind their new leader as well as her decision to move to their old home, this was in turn hurting them for making sure a move so soon. Surely the Aquila could see this in the people surrounding her, watching them as they did their best to make sure they were all eating enough to make it from one day to the next.

But what other solution would there have been?

Inferni had already called the surrender to Salsola, forcing them to give up what little items they had.. and should they have chosen to stay, prey probably would have been even harder to find. The char of the burnt down mansion was sure to have scared a number away.. and with so many other packs surrounding them on all sides, there would be much more competition to share what little there already was. Even in this place.. this once burnt down section of the woods, there would be more here than there was back at their now old home. It would just be better for everyone if spring began to come back once more. Then they could catch something more filling to their stomachs.

Night began to fall upon the land, yet Faith was still awake. Her body had been taking its toll on her.. seeing as she had been giving up many of her own meals in order to feed those around her. It was her duty to ensure that her family was well taken care of, especially her mother and Dahlia. Her younger sister was still learning how to hunt, and her mother was still in her usually mood. The youngest of all of them would still need some more time to learn before she would be able to hunt for herself. Until that time came, the work would fall back on her and her sister, Hope.

Unable to sleep, the robed girl quietly stood up from her spot, making sure that there was no one resting against her before she made her move. There was no reason to wake any of them up because she was awake. A soft sigh passed through her lips, soft steps making her way from the cave system and out into the snow covered land. Even in the darkness of night, the snow had a way to brighten the area. Feet began to carry her out, arms wrapping around herself. Even with the heavy robes she covered herself with, it was still cold out. Winter and the night was quite the mix.

Blue green gaze moved up as she caught something moving in the distance. Was there someone else awake along with her. Curiosity drove her to follow. As the movement stopped, Virue's figure began to form. The candle burned in front of him. Ears moved down slightly as she made her approach, soft voice escaping from her as to not alarm him, "Is everything alright?"

+500 words.

Faith de le Poer

Inferni
Civilis
Salena
Luperci Spiritualist Chaos Star

POSTED: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:53 am

A voice came reaching out of the cold black, quiet enough to not come as a shock, but loud enough to be heard over the murmuring sound of his sled sliding across the snowy landscape. Virue suddenly wished he still had the candle so he could see where he was going so as not to hit a rock and damage his sled, but also so he could clearly see who it was that had addressed him. He stopped, dropped the string from his hand, and cast his squinted eyes out toward where the sound had come from. She moved close enough for him to see her in the dim conditions. Her question was still ringing softly in his head, so he took up the task of answering it. “I, I guess…” He trailed off, looking down at his feet. He cupped his hands around his mouth, blew into them before rubbing them together. “I c-couldn’t r-really sleep. Thought this w-was as good a t-time as any to do s-some border decor,” he informed her, keeping his voice tame so it wouldn’t carry across the barren, empty nighttime world around them.

Virue turned toward the toboggan to glance at his assortment of painted skulls, his eyes catching snippets of semi-realistic fire and tendrils of Cenizan-style ash markings. But then his head stole back toward the girl, eyes bright and curious. “Y-you’re Crucifix’s k-kid, r-right?” He asked. Of course he already knew the answer; it was more rhetorical than anything, but he had gotten these things wrong before. Although, it was quite rare for Virue to forget a face, it was usually names that proved elusive to the odd scout’s quirk-ridden mind. For a moment his thoughts wandered down a runaway path, out into the wild spaces of non-reality, until he started himself awake and smiled a nervous little smile at the young woman whom he had happened across. “You...w-wanna come with m-me, k-keep me company?” He offered, a little bit cautiously despite his impression of Faith being that of a friendly person. He’d met her sister the day before. The two siblings seemed similar, though Virue was sure that they had their stark differences. It was uncanny how personalities could differ from person to person, but that was just a part of the beauty of life. Everything could be so separate and unique, yet all the pieces come together somehow and make one big picture. Virue had spared himself at the cusp of adulthood because he wanted to be a part of this picture, and he was glad he’d let himself live through all the things he’d seen thus far. It all would have been a shame to miss.

Virue turned away from her then, and took up the string, ready to head out toward the fringes of Inferni. Ready to place his artwork on spikes, trees, and nestle it in the sparkling, gray snow for all of those on the outside to see. Maybe then all of his nightmares would stop, and he could finally get some sleep.
Quintus (NPC)
Daniel
light and match

POSTED: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:26 pm

Faith didn't like the idea of being out here in the middle of the night. There was no telling what else might be lurking in the darkness. Their eyes could adjust easily enough to it.. but there were always dangers.. even for them. The weather was certainly one of them. If it wasn't cold enough during the day, the temperature dropped even lower during the night. There really was only so much her robes would be able to protect her from the chill.. and it was starting to bite into her skin. Blue green gaze turned down on Virue as he too brought his hands out, blowing into them before rubbing them together. Guess he was feel the same way she was.

Ears moved down to the reason behind the male's late night wander. It was because he couldn't sleep. Guess the placement of the skulls would give him something to do.. but wouldn't that keep him awake rather than at least trying to get some sleep? It almost seemed like.. maybe he was trying to avoid sleeping. Why would he do something like that though..?

Glowing blue eyes turned on her as she was questioned for being one of Crucifix's children. The robed girl gave a small nod, confirming his question, "Yes.. I'm one of the older ones along with Hope.. Dahlia is the youngest of us.." Virue had gotten the chance to meet the youngest of them during the snowball fight, probably not making the connection with her and Faith when the younger turned to speak with her older sister. It was fine though. In the heat of all the excitement, all of them were probably focused on the fight rather than the people on each of their sides.

Her attention was brought back when he asked if she would like to give him some company. Part of her wished to return to the warmth the caves provided from the winter wind, but it would be wrong to leave this male out here by himself. It was her duty to protect others in the clan right? It would then be wrong of her to choose to abandon this one just because she was feeling cool. Another nod came from her head as she stepped a bit closer, "Sure.. I'll stay.. but once all the skulls are placed why don't we go back to the caves..?" At least that way both of them would get what they wanted out of this.

The coyote girl followed behind the male and his sled, moving around the borders together as he worked to place the skulls along the borders. Now this place was starting to feel more and more like home.. having the unique border that drove away most wolves. As they came to the next spike, her own hands reached over for one of the painted skulls, carefully placing it along the borders before her gaze moved up to the male for his approval, "Virue right..? Do you mind me asking why it is that you can't sleep..? Are you just not tired..?"

+500 words.

Faith de le Poer

Inferni
Civilis
Salena

POSTED: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:44 am

Virue agreed to going back the caves once they made their rounds placing skulls. That’s where he was planning on going after the work was done anyway. He enjoyed the fresh air, but the cold was intolerable sometimes, especially at night. Virue also recognized that Faith may not be as tolerant of the cold as he was, so finding warmth after being in the cold for an extended amount of time was not a problem. Besides, this would be a perfect time to do some nighttime patrolling on the side. It was convenient enough for Virue, as he wasn’t really all that sore about missing any sleep. He missed a lot of sleep most nights, especially since moving to the new territory.

Faith was being helpful in placing the skulls, though she erected them quicker whereas Virue had more of an artistic approach. Sometimes he would stand back away from the area that seemed to be bare of wolf remains, and the odd boy would tilt his head, crouch and even move about trying to change the angle. He was taking in the scene now as Faith positioned a fire-adorned skull onto a spike. She looked to him for advice, and he squatted lower toward the ground. Blue eyes squinted, and he brought his hands up to frame the skull that sat there on the protrusion. He saw the glinting silver stretch of snow behind the red and orange, even in the dark, and a small smile grew on his face. A nod came from him soon after, and he had made his way back to the toboggan so he could take hold of its string when Faith asked him a question. Virue began pulling, but he turned to her, walking backwards whilst guiding the sleigh of skulls along. “Y-yeah, i-it’s Virue,” he confirmed. “A-and ohh, I’ve h-had problems sl-sleeping for as l-long as I c-could remember,” he said, trying to think back. He decided to turn toward where it was he was going or risk tripping and falling. He knew it to be a possibility because he did it very often. Walking forward was a threat, walking backwards was something else entirely. He saw Faith’s indefinite shape there in the dark, most likely watching and following him. The question she posed to Virue reminded him of her mother. She had helped him through a tough time late one night, and although it was much colder, and not nearly as dramatic as that night, Virue could tell Faith possessed the same heart her mother had. It made him feel a sudden tenderness that made his head swim, but it soon passed with the rush of life like so many things before it.

“N-nightmares mostly,” he told the girl, “I r-remember a lot of th-things I don’t want t-to remember n-necessarily. I-it follows you a-around, y’know? I-it’s like...tree sap.” He was trying to explain his predicament as best he could, and one of the things that suddenly jumped out into his forethought was the notion of tree sap. Sticky, dubious, and completely overpowering. It just refused to let go of flesh and fur. His dreams were his, but what clung to them and plagued his sleep refused to let him rest.

Virue came to a halt quickly, ears tipping this way and that, trying to listen to the night as if it might speak to him. He held up a hand to Faith. It wasn’t a command as much as it was an ask for her to cease her footsteps so he could hear. One of Virue’s ears twitched, and his back shuddered as the chills rode his bones down to the tip of his tail. “D-d-did you hear that?” He asked, his voice alert and a tad frightened. He wondered if something was out there. He recalled assisting Prodigal in fighting off a large cat one night on patrol, but this wasn’t like that. It almost sounded to him like laughter, or snickering, though it was hard to tell with the soft comings and goings of the icy wind and the delicate thump of his heartbeat. He turned to Faith and shot her an uneasy smile. “F-false alarm,” he said dismissively, “I’m going c-crazy.” Then he pulled the sled along its way, stopping to place more skulls. He held one aloft and put his eye to the words he’d written there between the sutures, turning it slightly as he read aloud. “Heed me all with unrest, and fear the flames that they possess,” the boy recited. The words seemed to flicker off into silence as the dark seemed to take over once more. He grabbed a spike from the sled, and began pacing near where he believed the borders were based on nearby skulls. “Wh-where to put you, where to p-put you…” he repeated to himself, his eyes searching for the perfect place for his poetry to stand. Where it could stay and face the world, where he might fail to out there in the cold, dark.
Quintus (NPC)
Daniel
light and match

POSTED: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:21 pm

It was a slight one, but Virue had agreed with her in regards to returning to the caves. No sleep or not, in the middle of winter's chill, both of them should have been doing everything they could to keep themselves warm; and yet, she could understand the need for distracting ones mind. At times, she felt herself doing the same thing in order to forget about the hunger that had been plaguing her. Her family had to come first in this regard, so as long as she was offering her meals up to them, she would have to mind a means of dealing with the pains. This wasn't to say that she wasn't at least getting some kind of meal, but it was significantly less than her mother and Dahlia's portions.

The robed girl had done her best with placing the skull she had chosen along the body, but as she had turned her head up to the tan man, he had something else in mind. Of course, he had first taken the time to adjust the one within his hands before moving onto her's. It was no secret that she was not the.. artistic type. Even when it came to collaborating on the map with Ichabod and Antioch, she gave a much more practical suggestion in helping to label things rather than trying to make the markings herself. That would have been silly. Ichabod claimed he was not good at drawing, and she too would fall in line of this.

There was a brief pause before they continued, both of them making their way back up onto their feet to place the rest of the skulls resting on the sled. Virue not only confirmed who he was to Faith, but also claimed that he had been having trouble sleeping for a long time. It seemed.. sad and unhealthy for him to have such a lack of sleep. Then it became more clear. He was having nightmares. Now she understood it.. why he seemed like he was avoiding sleep by doing this rather than just trying again in the caves to sleep.. he didn't want to have to face his nightmares. She offered him a small nod, unsure what she could even say to him to try and make him feel better about what was haunting him.

The Civilis stopped short as he did, seeming to hear something in the distance. She had not heard or smelled anything.. but being in the middle of the night with nothing but her hands to use as defense.. it put her on edge. Bod tensed up.. but soon relaxed when the tan man called it as a false alarm. She couldn't blame him for making such a call, as the nightmares had probably put him more on edge than he already was out here. She gave a small shake of her head, "No it's fine.. I'm glad it was nothing instead of something.."

They soon stopped once more, Virue stepping over to the sled as he picked up another one of the skulls. She followed suit with his moves, taking one into her own hands. She padded over to him, blue green gaze moving over to the male at her side as he contemplated when to place the one within his grasp. Taking a step forward, her body lowered down towards the ground, finding a space between two skulls before them, "How about we put these two here..?"

+500 words.

Faith de le Poer

Inferni
Civilis
Salena

Dead Topics