See the light that shines in me

For Vesper

POSTED: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:37 pm

Yet now I'm standing here, my heart so full, I can't explain
Seeking faith and speaking words I never thought I'd say.

Faith stirred inside her family's section of the cave. Blue green gaze moved over to the resting figures of her sisters and mother. She could see the weight that was missing from their bodies. She had been doing her best to provide for all of them, even missing meals to make sure they were as well fed as they could be. Her head turned up to the ceiling of the cave system, closing her eyes as she offered God a silent prayer. She begged him to watch over her family and to bring winter to an end sooner than before. Inferni needed his mercy, to pull them through this tough time.

Once her eyes opened, the dark sibling got to her feet, making her way towards the entrance to the caverns. There was some light snowfall.. but nothing that would cause he any problems. Her eyes closed once again, feeling the bones in her body shift. Hands moved forward, placing them against the rocky surface, feeling them change back into her natural paws. Her body shook, legs stretched out forward before she took off into the field of white. Better to try and get something before the rest of them woke up. As much as she hated to think it, she wanted to eat something before them. She hadn't eaten in a while.

The dark girl stalked through the snow covered land, doing her best to stay hidden as she tried to find something to hunt. Her nose caught something, turning her body in that direction. She could feel her stomach lurching forward, doing best to ignore the feeling. Blue green eyes settled on the pair of rabbits in front of her. Ears pulled back as Faith observed them. There was no way she was going to be able to catch both of them. A soft breath passed over her lips before she sprung on her feet, trailing after one of the rabbits. It took some time, but her teeth finally came down on the prey's neck. Once it had gone limp, the animal dropped from her mouth, the coyote girl taking a moment to catch her breath from the chase. As her eyes rested on her kill, she couldn't help but feel her stomach lurching again. No, she couldn't. There were others that needed it more than her.

Someone else had actually come to mind since the move. Sure her family needed food in their stomachs, but what about their former leader? What about Vesper?

It was clear some kind of injury had been made to her during the battle at the bay. Her head lowered, picking the rabbit back into her mouth. Trotting back across the snow, she made her way back towards the cave, fur picking up the falling snow as she made the trip. There was a bit of distance into the territory she had to go in order to hunt.

As she paced back onto the rocky surface, she gave her body a shake, removing the loose snow from her fur before stepping down the tunnel. Blue green eyes peered around the space. She stepped over to one alcove, dropping the prey at her feet as she spoke out, "Vesper? Are you there? I brought a rabbit for you."

+500 words.

Faith de le Poer

Loners
Coywolf
Salena
Luperci Chaos Star

POSTED: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:46 pm

[330]

It would have been simple thing, to waste away in grief and hunger, but the clan did not let her.

Clover was the most consistent about bringing her food other than Fang, even to her own detriment, but Vicira stopped by every time she fell to butchering one of their livestock. When they did not hunt, others picked up the slack. Sometimes they lingered to chat, voices awkward with pity or easygoing and optimistic, and other times food was deposited outside her little den without so much as a sniff in her direction.

Sometimes she did not eat, pushing the carcasses away until guilt made her nibble at the otherwise wasted thing. Sometimes she resented the company. More often lately, she accepted the talk because the loneliness of an Evocati had begun to creep up on her — a hint that she was not content with dying as the ruined beast she was.

But there was always that little flicker of irritation when food was dropped in front of her, knowing that she could no longer hunt for herself as she once had.

Faith called for her, and the tantalizing aroma of a freshly-killed rabbit made Vesper salivate. She slowly uncurled herself from her nest of dried foliage and tufts of wool, pushing herself onto her three good paws and limping toward the entrance. The little alcove she’d chosen reminded her of her den in Grimwell, the perfect size for a small coyote — and company. Most often that company was Fang, but with the healer out, Vesper invited Faith with a flick of her tail.

“Thanks.” The gratitude rang hollow, but Vesper picked up the rabbit nonetheless and crept back into her den, flopping down with it. After a bite, she frowned. “Share this with me, I’m not going to finish it all. Stomach’s shrinking,” she added before Faith could protest.

Then, more softly, distracted by the taste of rabbit fur on her tongue: “How are you?”

Raze
Luperci SoSuWriMo 2012 - 2018 Champion!
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

POSTED: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:47 pm

Faith couldn't help but have her ears fall down to the sight of the former leader as she made her way from the alcove into the main section of the caves. The woman limped, nowing only able to use three of her legs from what she could tell. There had been the notice to Vesper's injury when all of them made the journey across the mountains to make it to their new home.. and she couldn't help but feel sorry for her. She had been usurped by her daughter.. and from the manner in which she held herself, depression had been settling in to her own condition. But.. it had been for the best right.. she had been the one to start the war in the first place..

The coyote girl followed the Evocati into her small den, resting the rabbit in front of her. Once one bite had been taken out of it, Vesper had been quick to invite her guest to have some of the kill with her. As much as she wanted to protest, the hunger brewing inside her stomach was getting too much to ignore. So long as she left most of it for the former leader, there was sure not to be any issue. Her head slowly moved forward, pulling away at the outside fur to get a bite of the meat within the inside.

Her ears had gone even further down to Vesper's hollow thanks, easier to see how everything was affecting her.. but it softened once there was some food on their bellies. She was still concerned with those in the clan.. or at least she cared enough to ask how Faith was doing. A soft sigh passed through her lips, head lowering, "I've been doing what I can. I've been starting to give Dahlia some hunting lessons, but it's been proving difficult. I've been giving most of what I can catch to the rest of my family. I don't mind though. I am happy to provide for them in these tough times." She recalled back to a conversation the two of them had shared in their old home.. not too long after Dahlia had been born. She had been prompted with something similar, and Vesper had been supportive of her then. Would she still be now?

After taking another small bite of the kill, her gaze moved up to the woman across from her, "What about you? Has the Aquila and others been making sure you are alright..?"

+400 words.

Faith de le Poer

Loners
Coywolf
Salena
Luperci Chaos Star

POSTED: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:07 pm

[376]

Faith's pale ears all but withered down into her brown hair at the sight of the crippled coywolf, but Vesper focused her gaze down on the rabbit and tried to ignore the looks. The pity made her gut roil in anger, and the small flashes of judgment behind those glances made her feel something more muddled. Not all her clanmates were quick to forget whose wrath led to the war, who drove them across the battlefield, and of those not all forgave.

Not that Vesper wanted to be forgiven, most days. She deserved her suffering. Stark and Cartier, Molca and Omar, they had died because of Salsola's retaliation and their blood was on Vesper's paws too.

(And yet sometimes, deep beneath her guilt, that old sinful pride growled and snapped. She'd been right about Salsola after all, hadn't she?)

She mused over these thoughts in a distant way as she chewed, her remaining dulled incisors slicing through red meat before she swallowed and pushed the rabbit closer to Faith so she could eat, too. She sighed softly at the de le Poer daughter's words, watching her take a small bite.

"Remember that hunters need to eat, too. If you all starve, there will be no one left to take care of the rest of us." It was a fine balance, providing for one's clan and for oneself, but in the end Vesper did not see Inferni falling to this trial of starvation.

Her mangled ear twitched irritably when Faith said "the Aquila" rather than "Vicira" or "your daughter," but her expression -- perpetually grumpy these days -- did not grow any more severe. She ripped a bone from a socket and chewed on this a little bit, though some of her molars ached.

"Yeah. No one's forgotten me, if that's what you mean to ask. You aren't the only one to have come by even today."

Vesper licked her lips, the taste of marrow heavy and pleasurable. "Ignoring the lack of food, how are you finding the territory? I... haven't had the opportunity to go exploring much, and I only hear bits and pieces." She spoke somewhat sardonically, and stretched out her bad leg with a twinge.

Raze
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

POSTED: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:12 pm

Faith was acutely aware of the balanced line she was walking along. While she wanted to do nothign more than provide for the rest of her family, there wasn't much she would able to do on an empty stomach. She needed just as much food as the rest of them. It was because of this line she wished her sister would at least take up the idea of hunting, or Dahlia taking it much more seriously than she had. Youthful minds had a way of blocking out the terrible things going on in life in favor of making sure their life was a great one.

She gave a small nod before her head reached out, taking another bite of her kill before the gaze drifted back up to the former leader. She could hear the frustration and.. some guilt.. in her voice. All of them had lost so much in their old home, and being the one to recognize the leadership of her clan, now refered to the elder's daughter as her proper title. No doubt it struck a cord being in the presence of the woman who had lost such a title. Ears couldn't help but fall back down to the woman's harsh words.. at least harsh in her mind, "I didn't mean any offense.. just with the food shortage I wanted to make sure you were getting your fair share.. that's all.."

Teeth tore away at her piece of the rabbit's flesh, taking a swallow before she spoke again, "I haven't explored every piece of our new home, and with all my hunting I sometimes lose track of where I am. Something I have seen was out in the woods to the north. It was Arsinoe who found him.. a small pup living near one of the dead trees. But.. the pup was not solid like us.. I could barely see him. Dahlia couldn't at all."

Ghosts had been a concept, but nothing the robed girl had really yet to put a name to. It was all just a strange sensation, something she had begun to develop in this regrowing territory. Many spirits wandered here, and it was her who drew them in.. someone who could finally tell they were there without having to see them.

+300 words.

Faith de le Poer

Loners
Coywolf
Salena
Luperci Chaos Star

POSTED: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:08 pm

lol grumpy old lady :I

To hear tell of it, Inferni's new territory was once home to packs of old. Their names lingered on only in the clan's history books, otherwise lost to time. Jaded Shadows whose caverns they now invaded; Clouded Tears whose name carried on to the newest Aquila. Chimera and Storm beyond the river -- and others, many of whom the coyotes had battled.

All gone. Only Inferni survived, to go over the mountain, to come back.

In this land were merely ghosts.

But when Faith mentioned a puppy who "wasn't solid," the former Aquila wrinkled her muzzle and spat a shard of bone out on the cavern floor. Don't tell me you're seeing things too, she grumbled. She remembered how peculiarly Arsinoe had acted when Vesper intruded in her imaginary friend's space. Clover tried to speak of ghosts to Vesper, too, but she couldn't believe it. She had a rule about not believing in things she couldn't see, couldn't prove. This shitheap is spooky, is all, she said. If you're going to believe in something imaginary, pray more to that god of yours.

Raze
tatter-winged phoenix
cunning linguist

Dead Topics