And well the youngest can command honey from the frozen land

POSTED: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:07 pm

[303]

"There's not a lot of sheep left, huh."

"Nope,"
Vicira agreed, and reached over to stroke her daughter's large, dark ears. Merari tolerated and enjoyed this for a few moments, but then she gently shook her head and fixed her blue eyes (they hadn't changed from that muddied light puppy blue) on the sheep again. Though still young and often looking to her mother for guidance, the nearly five-month-old coywolf was stubborn about maintaining some sense of independence.

She was developing other skills too, ones that didn't go unnoticed by Vicira. Beyond better coordination when she ran and played with her brother, she no longer wore her heart on her sleeve as a clumsy puppy would -- which made it difficult to figure out what Rari was thinking. Vicira wasn't sure whether to attribute this to normal development or the harshness of the winter, but she was quick to notice that Merari rarely complained of hunger.

She frowned at these thoughts, and Merari glanced at her. She frowned too, but returned her gaze to the sheep. "Are we gonna kill all of them?"

"Not if I can help it."

The girl smiled at that, as if satisfied with the answer. Drumming her tail against the snowy earth, she got up suddenly and barked at the dusty ewes, which immediately began to mill about in their dirty corral.

"Merari, why on earth --"

"C'mon, Momma,"
Merari said, and winked. "If they aren't gonna die they oughta not look so sad and bored." Then she dashed toward the fence and slipped in among the tiny stampede, chasing woolly bodies with sharp yaps.

Vicira rolled her eyes. She stood, dusted snow off her butt, then came to lean against the rickety fencing as she watched her daughter play herder.
Inferni
Aquila
Raze
'Souls Assemblage Luperci Multiple Co-ranks Mate to Redtooth Level III Rex Chaos Star oderint dum metuant
cinder and smoke
ash in your mouth

POSTED: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:20 pm

[WC: 325]

The yapping drew them, Jethro more quickly than his father. By spring he would be a yearling and his size was starting to reflect this, though he was skinnier than Antioch would have liked. They were all a bit thin, but this was the price to be paid for safety. He could endure hunger knowing his family ate, and this they did. Versace stretched food as far as she could, cooking down bones and harder bits into thick stews that filled and warmed bellies even though they were more watery than she liked to make them.

Antioch did the best he could to find them meals, but there was little in these lands worth taking. If they hunted too much, they would starve in the spring. Restraint was the lesson he was teaching his children, and to their credit they absorbed this well.

Living through a fire had instilled a great sense of mortality in Jethro, at least. The boy was mouthy sometimes, but he obeyed.

Seeing his excitement, Antioch nodded. The boy slipped under the lowest part of the line and rushed in to assist his cousin with great delight.

The Bellator stood and watched this, though let his gaze trail up to Vicira's taller form beside him. Thus far, hunger aside, he had agreed that her decision to move across the mountain was correct. Aside from the dogs, and a few odd visitors and encounters, there had been none of the violence they suffered on the mountain's western side.

Aquila, he greeted. We heard the commotion. A sheep bleated as he said this, turning into the small flock as Jethro made a false lunge at its heels.

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood
signature art by Songbird
Inferni
Bellator III
Mel
Luperci Multiple Co-Ranks Level III Immunes Chaos Star
KARMA POLICE
(better keep your head)

POSTED: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:42 am

A lankier puppy -- nearly full grown -- squeezed under the fence and pursued the sheep with Merari. Smiling at this a moment, Vicira then glanced over at the Bellator and acknowledged him with a nod and lazy, contented wag of her tail.

Some of the old routine should help them feel at home, she said of the sheep, even though she was sure they would prefer to mill about the Bass River wild than be chased and corralled by coyotes. At the very least, many of the older sheep they'd killed had trusted them, being led to the slaughter -- though after they'd messily sheared off what excess fleece the animals had, they'd cut their throats.

A skinny lamb tripped in front of Merari. She skidded to a stop and leaned over to lick and nudge it so it would get to its feet again.

We'll probably make a Fera out of her, Vicira mused. Already she was considering where to place her children in the ranks, how they could benefit the clan. Boone showed less of aptitude for any certain kind of work (or work at all), but she hoped they shared her ambition. Will Jethro follow in your footsteps? she wondered, watching the boy chase the sheep.

Inferni
Aquila
Raze
'Souls Assemblage Luperci Multiple Co-ranks Mate to Redtooth Level III Rex Chaos Star oderint dum metuant
cinder and smoke
ash in your mouth

POSTED: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:23 pm

Hmpf, Antioch harrumphed. I'm not sure if they're smart enough to know the difference.

He knew that animals could be taught things, certainly. The horse his wife had insisted getting for their son was one such beast, though Antioch had not enjoyed the few times he had been coaxed into riding. It was too high off the ground, too out of his control. Four legs did him just fine. Of course, he thought that there was surely some part of these animals which learned. The sheep did not flee from familiar coyotes until pressed. Even now, they milled about while Jethro and Merari circled and chatted, and when they grew bored with this (as Jethro often did) the would-be tag resumed.

It was good for their children more than the sheep, he thought, but felt this went without saying.

I'd expect so, the Bellator offered, watching as the tawny coyote dropped to his belly to let the sheep settle from his last “attack”. He knows the basics. When the weather turns I'll work with him further – Lord knows we could use more fighters – and see what he's good at. He might need some help with the horse, Antioch added. Unable to stop his expression from souring as his thoughts touched the places where memories of Omar lingered, the more telling sign came as he finally settled to sit, as if overcome by the weight of these.

What about your boy?

Inferni
Bellator III
Mel
KARMA POLICE
(better keep your head)

POSTED: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:26 am

--

Vicira laughed at Antioch's disdainful response and swished her tail in silent agreement with the silent implication. She had done what she could to keep things the same, whether that meant giving up her own food for her children, or putting the rest of the clan to work. It was a thin facade, but it was all she could manage, and most coyotes seemed to go along with the illusion.

The alternative was despair, and perhaps dissent.

She leaned away from the fence to glance at Antioch, nodding. I'll teach him what I can. Boone and Merari might shift soon; I imagine I'll have all of them together for lessons. She enjoyed teaching, though what she taught was not a matter of life-and-death like Antioch worked with. Or at least the expectation of pain was not there; certainly her students would need to learn not to get kicked in the head. Horses were dangerous, too, and those who did not work with them forgot sometimes that they were big, flighty prey with terrible hooves and teeth.

She hummed lowly when Antioch asked after her son, a noise of uncertainty and displeasure. In the paddock, Merari had sidled up to her crouched cousin and was making to nip at his ear. I don't know what Boone wants to do, or if he wants to do anything. She shook her head. He'll have to find his place soon. They're almost adults. We can't afford not to work.

She smirked at her Bellator. Maybe I'll send him to you.

Inferni
Aquila
Raze
cinder and smoke
ash in your mouth

POSTED: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:56 pm

I suppose so, he agreed. Having little desire to leave his four legs behind, and doing now only reluctantly when construction required it, Antioch did not ever see himself leaping onto a horse's back the way all his peers seemed so keen to do. They needed this sort of advantage, he thought – the man from Salsola had told him as much, though Antioch had not thought it was their horses or their weapons which had won out in the end.

No, it was dishonorable what had been done, but what could they expect? There was no honor to be found in wolves. The whole lot were capable of seeing combat to be determined by setting themselves upon the wounded, the young, the civilians. It was cowardly, that's what it was, and he did not grant the Thistle Kingdom a proper victory.

But Inferni had lost, in the end, and Antioch did not forget this.

I'll train him, Antioch agreed pleasantly (as pleasantly as his unchanging expression allowed). Pups should learn to fight. Jethro will scrap with him, I'm sure – he gets frustrated working with me sometimes.

Inferni
Bellator III
Mel
KARMA POLICE
(better keep your head)

POSTED: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:16 pm

We can wrap dis up <3

Good, Vicira replied, grinning at her Bellator. They should channel that energy into something. She sometimes sensed aggravation in Boone, in some place she could not touch, though she did not rightly know if this was common for all young boys or just a flaw of her own child. Despite all that she had taken on, she was still a new mother.

You should teach me sometime, too, she added, lifting her hand to thumb the scar above her eye. If you want, she amended; it was no order, but she wanted to better herself. Her longstaff and horseback tactics afforded her reach and advantage over the average wolf, but very few of their true enemies were "average." One could only do so much falling back on instincts. Her people were killers, but Vicira had never been -- only by proxy.

She thought of hooves and breaking bone, of a feral man's snarl and a throat torn out.

Laughter rose from the corral, and the tone made Vicira swing her head and bark out Stop harrassing your cousin! before she properly looked to see what Merari was doing.

Inferni
Aquila
Raze
cinder and smoke
ash in your mouth

Dead Topics