We have the facts and we're voting yes

POSTED: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:23 pm

Posing as hardcore
Either/Or

Perhaps, Redtooth thought, it hadn't been the best idea to throw away the only article of clothing he had in the middle of a particularly brutal winter. Though he had lived in the northern reaches of Nova Scotia for nearly a third of his life, he was still a southern 'yote both in both heart and body. Needless to say, Redtooth was turning into a walking, talking popsicle. It took Redtooth no time to improvise a solution. He raided the meager stores that Inferni had stocked in the caves and he fashioned a lopsided and baggy buckskin poncho of incredibly poor quality from one of the hides left over.

It looked dumb on him, but at least it was warm. Redtooth's worst gripe, however, was the fact that it had no natural pockets.

He didn't realize how much he took such a simple thing for granted, not until Redtooth returned to his construction work in the village. Having pockets had made things so much more convenient. Now, every time he wanted a smoke, he had to return to his tent instead of pulling a pre-rolled cigarette from a dedicated place. It was a constant back and forth, with him returning to the tent nearly every hour. It was affecting his work. He felt scattered upon returning once again to the unfinished barn. Interrupted.

It was mostly done -- the important parts, that is. What remained were the frills: individual stalls, stands for saddles, ect. He stamped his cigarette into the cool dirt floor before scratching his head and staring at the pile of lumber he planned to somehow turn into a saddle stand.

OOC drivel goes here.
We are what we are. Get in the goddamn car.
Salsola
Indentured Servant
Ryan
Luperci I HAVE A BIG HEAD AND LITTLE ARMS

POSTED: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:43 pm

The barn's main structure rose up amid the makeshift, muddy corrals and the hide tents: a thing of beauty, Vicira thought. She recognized that there was a lot to be done with it yet, but she was pleased to be able to roam under its roof and stare at the support beams and imagine where the walls would divide it. Though the construction was rudimentary, she was impressed with the man she'd decided to call husband.

She wandered through the village with Merari in tow to find him; a freshly-killed rabbit hung from the girl's jaws, meant to be a gift for her father. It had been a tough and slow old thing, but Vici didn't think Redtooth would turn his nose up at the gristle, especially when he learned that Rari had a great role in catching it for him.

They followed the scent of tobacco and found him puzzling over a pile of wood. Merari offered up a muffled yip and ran toward him, winding around his legs and trying to present her catch, while Vicira glanced at the smoke curling from the dirt and smiled.

Workin' hard or hardly workin'? she mocked, and leaned over to give him a kiss on the cheek to apologize for the groan-enducing remark.

their lips the secret kept, if in ashes the fire-seed slept

Raze
Luperci
cinder and smoke
ash in your mouth

POSTED: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:43 am

Posing as hardcore
Either/Or

Redtooth often got visitors as he worked. Some brought snacks and offered to lend a helping hand -- and others simply wandered in, all with that same curious look slapped across their faces. When he heard steps behind him, Redtooth turned to find his favorite two visitors out of the whole lot. His daughter came first, bounding toward him with gleeful abandon. While most parents failed to admit that they had a favorite child, it was no secret that Redtooth had an affinity for the girl.

His attention settled on the rabbit held tight between her teeth. Redtooth squatted down to her level and proudly ruffled the fur on the top of her head with a rough, calloused hand. "Look at you!" He exclaimed. "You catch that there rabbit yourself booger?" 'Course she did. He could read her prideful smirk like an open book; one of them easy ones with lots of pictures.

Then, Vici stepped toward him. Redtooth stood and grinned this stupid, sappy grin as his mate greeted him with a kiss. This project, this village -- he did it all for her -- so Redtooth often found himself overly excited when she came around to check the progress. Something something showing off.

"Well," he started after a beat. "Whad'ya think?"

OOC drivel goes here.
Salsola
Indentured Servant
Ryan

POSTED: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:31 pm

While parents might remain mum on their favored children, it was no secret that children had favorite parents -- or that Merari adored her dad. Whereas she tended to shy from Vicira's attempts at physical affection after a moment, she didn't seem bothered by Redtooth's ruffling of her fur or the pet name he gave her. She only beamed.

Yup, she woofed around the tough bunny, and plopped it at his feet, rasping her tongue over her whiskers and grimacing a little at the taste of dirty fur. She didn't dwell on this, only grimaced again at her parents' PDA then began sniffing around the saddle stand and the corner of the barn.

It's amazing, Vicira said, not at all stingy with her praise. She gave Redtooth a hard time about a lot of things, yes, but others should not be taken for granted. Though others had helped out with the labor, Redtooth had accomplished much of this with his own knowledge, his own hands -- the calloused fingers she took in her own. What are you working on next? Is there anything I can help with?

Raze
Luperci
cinder and smoke
ash in your mouth

POSTED: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:36 pm

Posing as hardcore
Either/Or

With all the gratitude and pride he could express, Redtooth beamed as he scooped the rabbit up into his hand. On his poncho, he had sewn a rather sizable pouch into the buckskin. It was there that he gently placed Merari's gift. The rabbit's head lolled limply over the edge of his pocket in a way that amused Redtooth. It was like a little morbid friend -- a friend he planned to eat later.

Then, Vicira took his hand and gave her answer. Redtooth nodded and excitedly said, "I've got big plans babe." Redtooth supposed he was an easily excitable man -- however, this project had not only given him a creative outlet, it was a way for him to prove his worth to both his family and the woman he loved. "Antioch and I, we're hittin' phase one hard. Barrin' any setbacks, we should be done in a month or two." He'd shown her the initial plans too many times to count: the kitchens, storage, a watchtower, and the centerpiece -- this barn, which Redtooth had poured his heart and soul into.

More would come, and Redtooth was already planning the next steps.

"But -- there actually is something I'd like to ask of you," Redtooth continued. "Once we're done here, I want to start housing. Actual, permanant, housing for everyone." It would be a massive undertaking, especially considering the level of detail Redtooth planned to take. It was obvious that Redtooth was as giddy as a schoolgirl when he talked about it. "It's gonna be huge Vici -- an' I'm gonna build us the biggest house you've ever done seen."

It was easy to make these lofty promises, but with only he and Antioch tackling construction it was a check his butt couldn't cash. "I'm gonna need hands," he explained. "Lots of 'em. Will you rally the troops for me? You do that an' I'll lead 'em." Then, he looked down to Merari and smiled. "You can help me with that too Booger."

OOC drivel goes here.
Salsola
Indentured Servant
Ryan

POSTED: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:52 am

OOC: I think we can wrap this one up :o

IC:

Big plans -- Vicira could not be prouder or more delighted that her husband had such a vision for his work. She wanted Inferni to do more than crawl from the ashes; she wanted it to soar, for this new chapter to be like the glory days...

Perhaps they were setting themselves up for failure with high expectations.

She pricked her ears as he explained a new plan: housing. While content with the hide tents and the caverns, she knew that some might prefer the comfort of huts and cabins, and his dreamy mention of "the biggest house you've ever done seen" made her grin at him. She could imagine it now: a front porch where she could watch her horses, a woodstove, a desk in her own room, something like the schoolhouse used to be. She missed it.

"Yeah," she agreed. "Laurel, Conrad, and Sinech will help without question -- they just don't know what they're doing." She glanced thoughtfully at the hide tents beyond the barn, a small collection, and thought again of the caves and the many who preferred to dwell in their dens, like her mother. "Not everyone will want or need a permanent house, but anyone who does want one will need to chip in. Even if it's just mundane tasks."

Merari glanced up when mentioned, and her tail wagged. "I want you to show me when I shift," she said, and reared up to put her forepaws on his legs. "I'll chop wood good."

Raze
Luperci
cinder and smoke
ash in your mouth

POSTED: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:02 pm

Posing as hardcore
Either/Or

Laurel, Conrad, Sinech -- to Redtooth, that sounded like a small army, and if Antioch helped too with the construction, he was sure he could knock out the project with relative ease. Nevertheless, it was easy to think that now with plans undrafted because Redtooth, being the man he was, was likely to bite off more than he could chew with the explicit purpose of blowing everybody away with the scope and scale of the next phase of Inferni's village. It had to be exemplary, for Redtooth saw it as not only a reflection of his worth, but as a physical measure of how much he loved his family and this community in which they belonged.

"I'll scrounge up whatever paper I have left tonight," he told his mate. "I don't wanna miss anythin' you want, so what do you think about drawin' up the plans together?" His tone lifted with a questioning lilt. He couldn't help but smile at the thought of sprawling out in the tent with charcoal in hand, drawing every detail to Vicira's exact specifications, and if the kids got the message and left to go do kid things-- well, who knows where the night would go? Cue Redtooth eyebrow wiggle.

Speaking of those wonderful children, Redtooth bent down to regard Merari once more with some good ol' fashioned neck scratches. "Shoot," Redtooth told her. "'Course you are! You're gonna be the best woodcutter we got." There was nothing that delighted Redtooth more than to know his daughter shared his interests; that she wanted to follow in his footsteps. "Come on 'Rari, lemme show you how to build a saddle stand for Ma. Whatchu think about that?" Redtooth grinned and looked back up at Vicira, "Mind if I keep her for a while?" he asked, smiling.

Sounds good to me! We can have a fresh one!
Salsola
Indentured Servant
Ryan

POSTED: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:27 pm

Vicira smiled, too. “I’d love that.”

She imagined it with the same anticipation as he did: drawing out plans, shoulders brushing as they leaned over grainy paper, enjoying each other’s company as they sought to make something. She loved Redtooth for enabling her dreams – for being devoted and enthusiastic in a way so few men could.

She grinned broader as Redtooth scratched at their daughter’s scruff – another pretty okay thing they made together – and Merari responded with an eager wag of her tail and a prance in place. “Yeah!” she yapped, and reared on her hind legs to better look at how the wood already slotted together. It would be some weeks before she would have the hands to build, but Vici reasoned she would waste no time once she had digits. They would have so much to teach her.

“Of course,” Vicira said with a laugh. “I’ll see you tonight.” She pressed her nose to his cheek again then glanced at the pup. “You listen to Daddy.”

“I always listen to Daddy,”
Merari replied.

“Glad you respect one of us.”

Raze
Luperci
cinder and smoke
ash in your mouth

Dead Topics