[m] The dreaming forest there, the hazel-sprig

Aliyah!

POSTED: Sun May 06, 2018 8:40 pm

WARNING: This thread contains material exceeding the general board rating of PG-13. It may contain very strong language, drug usage, graphic violence, or graphic sexual content. Reader discretion is advised.

Ichabod Bertram
Who saw fair to bestow
Form | Time | Location
ahahaha sorry for the wait! <3
WORD COUNT
Fledgling ravens begin to practice flying -- and these young birds are prime candidates for partnering up with coyotes thanks to their age and curiosity! Protect a downed fledgling from the dangers of the forest floor, or just entice them to bond with treats.

The mist roiled over the forest like a silken blanket, unfolding smoothly across the damp landscape. Ravenswrest was the only corner of their territory that remained unchanged by the war’s upheaval; though the coyote had never been one to linger for long inside the gray woods he found himself within the fog-shrouded trees today.

Spring made the fledgling birds and creatures alike restless. The spindly branches shook with flurried movement, dipping and turning every which way underneath the dark claws of the ravens. The soldier’s ears fluttered as he walked, every minute cackle and click registering themselves into his perception. While he could not understand low-speech nearly as well as some others in the clan, he understood enough to know he was not entirely wanted; though faint crowing for food sounded throughout the trees (as usual), they were quickly smothered under the hissed warnings and wary glances driven his way.

He did not blame them, no -- though they were only birds, they were mothers too. Under the watchful eye of the elders the young ravens were just beginning to take flight; they were easy to spot, smaller and fluttering about without the grace of a fully grown adult. Occasionally one would dip off course, veering sharply into a clump of vegetation or, for the unlucky few, into the packed earth.

Ichabod watched with mild curiosity as one such fledgling flapped futilely into a tree, a bundle of feathers and harsh angles as it tumbled into the ground. The Sciens paused mid-step, bright orange eyes flickering around the treetops in search of its parent. When none came forward he bit his lip, considering. The forest floor ran wild with predators even in the presence of Luperci, after all, and the stunned bird looked in no condition to resume its flight. Looking around apprehensively, Ichabod stepped closer to the jet-black creature, scooping it up quickly in fear of being labeled a thief by the watchful inhabitants of the wood.

Now that it lay cradled in his hands, however, he had no idea what to do with it.

Template by Andi
Last edited by Ichabod Bertram on Thu May 10, 2018 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inferni
Sciens
Sanba
Luperci

POSTED: Sun May 06, 2018 8:57 pm

Aliyah had never knew that today she would explore as frequently as today. She had never really explored since she had joined Inferni, but now that she was a Sciens, she knew she would have to explore more often. The scent of ravens and Luperci, and coyotes, was heavy, and Aliyah tried to study what she was seeing now, and where she was. She heard the caws and cackles of ravens, and it was all so...scary to her. It seemed like she was being woken up by death itself, bringing her home to where she would never return or wake up. Finding a rock ledge to observe where she was, Aliyah climbed on it and looked down, admiring all the ravens, soon noticing the one fledgling that had tumbled all the way to the ground. Obvious this Infernian over there is a Sciens like me. Aliyah thought, looking over at a Luperci holding the fledgling. Aliyah soon realized she should probably reveal herself if she was going to be making any new friends by now. Even though she was sometimes antisocial, she couldn't be now. By the looks of it, this Luperci was very dedicated to his job, and seemed to be nearly controlling the ravens. He better not think I caused what happened to that poor raven. Aliyah said quietly in her mind before walking down the hills and cliffs, jumping from the cliff she was on carefully so she wouldn't break any bones. Her finch Kinko flew after her, while her 1-year-old bobcat Max followed and jumped after her. Finally making her presence known to the Luperci, Aliyah decided to introduce herself. "Perhaps we haven't met." She said calmly, her finch flying on her tail and taking it as a perch. Max stood by her, trying to act all cool and grown-up. "My name is Aliyah, you can call me Ali for short. These are my pets Kinko the finch and Max the bobcat. I'm a Sciens much like you, and I've been a member of Inferni for a month and a few weeks."

Aliyah looked around at all the ravens and began looking at the fallen fledgling. To her, it looked like potential prey, but ravens were bad in her family culture, and they were considered dangerous where she lived. She trembled at the raven, backing away. All these ravens seemed to be wanting to make a meal out of her. "Seriously, Inferni keeps ravens?" Aliyah asked, slightly terrified. "Where I come from, those birds are considered dangerous, and there's bad omens about them, and they're said to be bad signs!"
Huge thanks to Zoingishly for the avatar!

Hello! I'm Aliyah. I'm a crazy wolfaboo and serval addict. I'm quite active and enjoy roleplaying, as it really helps me to train my brain and get more imaginative skills.

"An eye for an eye, wouldn't you say...?"-ALIYAH
Inferni
Sciens
Tess/Tessa
Non-Luperci

POSTED: Mon May 07, 2018 7:45 am

Ichabod Bertram
Who saw fair to bestow
Form | Time | Location
OOC here
WORD COUNT
500+

His little bout of contemplation was brought to an end by a crackle behind him, signaling the arrival of another. Bright ember eyes flickered to catch the movement, watching as the intruder slid from the darkness and into view. He knew who she was — he’d seen everyone in the pack, even the joiners — but always from afar. The stench of cat was hard to miss as well; the birds seem to have caught it as well, the scent sending them into another flurry of movement in the trees above.

Aliyah’s dark pelt blended seamlessly into the dim shroud of the forest, her multicolored eyes standing out like strange beacons in the gloom. Up close she looked even more wolf-like than he’d imagined, her coloration an indicator in and of itself. The sight alone was enough to make his hackles rise; though she had done nothing to him, the possibility had him on edge.

“No,” he replied to her greeting cautiously, not bothering to smother the hard edge in his tone. “Don’t think we have.” The bird shifted in his cupped palms as the darkling introduced herself, its wings twitching minutely as it slowly revived. His dark lips pressed together in a thin line, watching the bobcat that stood guard beside the girl warily.

It was true, he had not met with the hybrid face-to-face; to be honest, he had no desire to. The ‘month and two weeks’ she had spoken of seemed a month and a half too long — he had seen and heard enough of her little cat and bird entourage by now to know to keep clear of the trio. Word spread quickly around the clan, after all, especially about one with such heavy wolf blood in them such as her.

Nonetheless he forced a tight smile, reminding himself that she was pack whether he liked it or not. “Well, nice t’ meetcha,” Ichabod started, tipping his head once in lieu of a wave as his hands were kept full by the black bird currently squirming about within. “How’re ya finding clan life so far? You ‘n your — uh, cat — gettin’ along fine with everybody?”

The coyote frowned as the new Sciens began to tremble, her eyes flashing with something akin to fear as she observed the ravens fluttering around them. His brow furrowed with disbelief as Aliyah started spinning tales of bad omens and danger, her tone growing more agitated as she continued on. To him those were just old wives’ tales; the soldier knew as well as anyone in Inferni did that the birds could be dead useful, given that they were raised properly.

“What, you’ve never seen a raven before?” He shot back, pulling the fledgling cradled in his palms closer to his body protectively. His movements were instinctive — who knew what the wolf-hybrid would do when she set her mind to it? “Yeah, we keep ravens. Some ‘a us choose t’ partner up with ‘em.” The youth gave a mild croak from between claw-tipped fingers before stilling once more. “They can scout ‘n relay information ‘n whatnot. The smarter ones can even spy — or so I’ve heard. I ain’t met one smart enough yet.”

Template by Andi
Inferni
Sciens
Sanba
Luperci

POSTED: Mon May 07, 2018 5:52 pm

Aliyah could oddly sense that the Luperci seemed rather tense and threatened at the sight of her, and she was confused why he would act this way. He had to know she was friendly, and meant no harm. Kinko seemed scared, and Max seemed slightly scared now, especially by the sight of the ravens. Aliyah had always grown up with the tales about ravens in her native homeland, and so whenever she saw one, her, along with other residents of the Concrete Jungle, would panic, and run, or try to kill the ravens. Hopefully, these ones weren't as bad and were friendly instead. She decided to describe herself in-depth when the Luperci said the two have ever met, which she obviously knew. "Anyways, I come from the Concrete Jungle." Aliyah said, trying to keep her tone neutral and calm despite herself being slightly afraid of the flock of ravens watching her with piercing, black eyes. It was like daggers stabbing her heart, making her feel lifeless. Now, she was seeing the scary black birds after a few months, and two years. When the Luperci asked her about her bobcat, Aliyah was quick to answer. "Obviously!" She barked. "Max here, he's actually a very sweet cat. The only kind bobcat I know, because I've treated him right. He's just, well, y'know, scared of strangers." Then, Aliyah remembered about how her pack life was like. "It's fine, I'm good friends with Vicira, best friends with Dalia, good friends with Boone, but about Merari, she doesn't seem to really trust me." Aliyah took time to remember about how she had not come to good terms with the Aquila's daughter, and it made her feel awful and sick inside.

Aliyah looked warily at the fledgling. "'Course I've seen ravens." She said casually. "But where I live, many had said to run once you saw a raven. That's what I did. They became infamous because for some reason, whenever they came, someone died mysteriously, and youngsters ended up getting snatched." Aliyah knew she probably sounded crazy, but she didn't care. However, when she heard about these ravens, she felt a sense of relief. "Hey, at least these seem friendly, and cool. Kinko hasn't had a fellow bird friend in a long time." She looked down at the fledgling, and felt a sense of regret for being rude. "Maybe if I can't handle ravens, I may as not be suitable for the rank Vicira placed me in, might as well head back." Aliyah knew she had better things than being antagonistic to innocent ravens, and she turned and began leaving.

Hello! I'm Aliyah. I'm a crazy wolfaboo and serval addict. I'm quite active and enjoy roleplaying, as it really helps me to train my brain and get more imaginative skills.

Inferni
Sciens
Tess/Tessa
Non-Luperci

POSTED: Tue May 08, 2018 4:44 pm

Ichabod Bertram
Who saw fair to bestow
Form | Time | Location
OOC here
WORD COUNT
200+

The wolf hybrid seemed as flighty as the birds surrounding them, her dark ears flickering at the symphony of sounds. She mentioned her home -- the Concrete Jungle -- before leaping to the defense of the little hellbeast that accompanied her. Ichabod raised an eyebrow at her description of the animal, not knowing how anyone could look at a bobcat and call it sweet.

He listened as Aliyah continued on, rattling off a list of names that she had befriended. He doubted the legitimacy of some of her claims — how anyone could be casual friends with the Aquila stumped him — but he held his tongue.

“I think the reason those pups were gettin’ snatched is ‘cause y’all are more worried ‘bout ravens than the actual criminals,” he replied drily, shifting his feet. Aliyah’s tone turned downtrodden, with her mumbling something about leaving before turning. The Scintillan only sighed, wishing his hands were empty so he could bury his face into them. “Hey, wait — that ain’t what I meant.”

Not stopping to see how the girl would react he plowed on, adamant in righting whatever misconceptions the hybrid has collected. “You don’t need t’ partner up with a raven just ‘cause you’re in the Sciens rank — there’s not a rulebook or nothin’ that we hafta follow,” he called after her, the mist swallowing the volume of his voice. “Things ain't that strict ‘round here.”

Template by Andi
Inferni
Sciens
Sanba
Luperci

POSTED: Tue May 08, 2018 6:25 pm

Aliyah had to admit she was getting irritated by Ichabod, her heart beating with anger. Did he ever live where she did? No! He was just too attached to the stupid ravens, and Aliyah let out a low growl. She could sense how Ichabod viewed Max as, a danger, and enemy, and then she whipped her head around, her different-colored eyes glowing with rage. "You never lived where I lived!" Aliyah snapped, her hackles raising. Max jumped back in terror, and Kinko flew away in shock. Max seemed horrified, and was then angry at what Ichabod had done, making Aliyah mad. Max bared his teeth and let out a hiss, jumping in front of Aliyah in defense. Aliyah continued on her rant. "If you were born and raised in the Concrete Jungle near where I lived, then maybe you would know!" She looked up at the ravens, who seemed to look at her in anger. She let out a growl at Ichabod, prepared to launch her suddenly sassy mouth. "I've seen it with my own eyes." She growled with honesty, and she was telling the truth. She had seen the pups being snatched, by ravens! "Those ravens! Then they dropped the dead bodies of the poor puppies, Raven King. You've trusted them, therefore they don't seem so bad to you." Max looked at Aliyah and tried to comfort her, feeling bad for what had happened. He gave her a few licks, shooting a glare at Ichabod, which obviously meant "leave her alone". Kinko also glared at Ichabod, and Aliyah growled and kicked up some dust, her scar on her leg caused by her mental father opening up and bleeding out again. Ain't dealing with his comments about my scar, I'm gonna make him shut up either way! Aliyah thought, and covered her scar with her tail, keeping blood away from sight. She wanted Ichabod to leave her alone about Max, and to leave her alone about the ravens. Just then, Max hissed and lunged at Ichabod, digging his claws into him.

Aliyah, horrified, turned around and let out a desperate yelp. "Max! No!" She barked, trying to run, but she tripped over a rock and fell, blood slightly appearing on the rock. Let it happen! Let me die! I deserve no right to be a member of Inferni, and my bobcat is only trying to help me! Aliyah thought, and she tried to succumb to her wound, but she shuddered as she realized what would happen.

Inferni
Sciens
Tess/Tessa
Non-Luperci

POSTED: Wed May 09, 2018 5:49 pm

Ichabod Bertram
Who saw fair to bestow
Form | Time | Location
OOC here
WORD COUNT
400+

The birds seemed to be a touchy topic but he hadn’t expected Aliyah to go berserk, ranting and raving about a so-called raven king and the trail of dead pups it left behind it. Ichabod only watched on, unimpressed by the growing volume of her voice. The scent of blood suddenly burst into the open air, fresh and heavy. Catching wind of its owner’s distress the animal beside her sprang forward, brandishing its claws at the Scintillan’s forearm.

Ichabod only had a second to prepare before the cat descended, clutching onto his arm whilst spitting all along the way. “Ah, shit! the coyote hissed, the sharp claws digging themselves into the soft of his forearm. In its panic the fledgling dislodged itself from his cupped palms, frantically fluttering back up to the safety of the treetops.

He barely spared it a glance -- adrenaline surged as he grasped the beast by the scruff and pulled, the animal hissing and squirming all the way. Gritting his teeth, the tawny male reeled his hand back and flung Aliyah’s pet as far as he could manage, sending the cat crashing past the sharp undergrowth and against the pale trunk of a birch tree with a pained yowl before growing silent.

At this point he didn’t care if he killed the little hellbeast, Aliyah’s feelings be damned.

Ember eyes sought out hers for an explanation, a barrage of curses still spilling from his mouth. “What the hell was that?” He demanded, clasping a palm over the sluggishly bleeding cuts. “Thought you said your bobcat was sweet.” Red-hot welts of pain erupted where Max had left his mark, the scratches thin but jagged. Ravens screeched down at the two luperci below from all directions, frenzied by the scent of bobcat and blood.

“That thing’s gotta go,” Ichabod spat, his anger resurfacing as he took a step back from the girl laying crumpled on the ground. “You obviously can’t control it. What, didja think shoutin’ at the damn thing would stop it from maulin’ me?” He stared down unsympathetically at the snivelling woman, not bothering to offer her a hand up. “Lucky it was jus’ me it tore up,” he muttered, lifting his hand gingerly to examine the stinging wounds. “You’d both be outta here by daybreak if it was any a’ the kids.”

The thought alone was enough to bring another simmering wave of heat crashing over his body. Ichabod’s dark lips thinned, the coyote considering the possibility for a tense moment before nodding thoughtfully. “Don’t suppose anyone would blame me if I killed it now.” The soldier spun around abruptly, starting to pad in the direction of where he had thrown Max.

He had every intention to snap it’s neck if he ever got his hands on him, having seen firsthand what the animal was capable of.

Template by Andi
Inferni
Sciens
Sanba
Luperci

POSTED: Wed May 09, 2018 6:08 pm

Aliyah slightly shivered as she realized what Ichabod had done, Max looked at her weakly, and then Aliyah tried to fight back unconsciousness, crawling over to Ichabod. "He was trying to protect me!" Aliyah growled. "He's only aggressive when I'm upset or hurt." She crept over to Max, who had began slipping into unconsciousness, bleeding profusely. Aliyah had never known she would get into a fight with an Infernian more powerful than her, over ravens. Ichabod was obviously going to be called Raven King by her from now on, but Aliyah probably wouldn't be around for that to happen. She looked at Max, who nearly seemed like he was actually dying. Kinko was frantic, and began squawking in alarm, afraid her friend would die. Aliyah began feeling stupid. What if she was actually wrong, and that she was just...scared? Or maybe she was just a stupid creature. As she looked at Max, she wished Dalia was here to help fix Max, and the poor bobcat would maybe be dead by the time Aliyah found her. Max's eyes were full of pain, and then Aliyah was relieved, but still scared when she found a few leaves and cobwebs scattered about, obviously scarce. Trying to use up all her strength she had, she began fixing Max's wounds, wrapping them up and soaking the blood. Ichabod's blood only made Aliyah know how powerful her bobcat was, but that would make her an enemy. I better shut up now. Maybe Ichabod's right after all... She thought, realizing how stupid she was. Now that she remembered, what she had heard was false, and she would give the ravens a chance, but this turned out to be the chance to pick off of her. Tears slowly dripping from her eyes in fear, pain, and denial, Aliyah tried to succumb to her wounds, and let out a snarl, laying down protectively over Max, her bobcat that would be gone soon.

She looked at Ichabod, and her eyes were filled with rage and pain combined. "You better realize, you better fuckin' realize, what you just fuckin' did." Aliyah growled, blood appearing out of her mouth. Kinko glared at Ichabod and at the ravens, who seemed to be wanting to kill her.

Inferni
Sciens
Tess/Tessa
Non-Luperci

POSTED: Thu May 10, 2018 2:45 am

Ichabod Bertram
Who saw fair to bestow
Form | Time | Location
OOC here
WORD COUNT
200+

He watched impassively as the dark-toned woman limped over to shield the ball of fur from his sight, grasping at nearby scraps to press at the cuts that littered its body. Aliyah crouched over the ragged thing miserably, tears pooling in her eyes as she growled defensively.

Ichabod only flicked an ear at her dramatics, peering down at the bobcat to make sure it was down for the count.“What, defend myself from a feral cat? Prevent any future attacks from happenin’?” Max hissed at him weakly, flashing its eyes dangerously. He snorted, holding up his injured hand to display it. "Yeah, poor kitty." Though he scoffed at their actions a small part of him inwardly marveled at the beast’s loyalty. Perhaps the wolf hybrid had raised it to behave well after all — just only towards its owner.

A trickle of blood dripped from her mouth, startling the soldier. He couldn’t recall ever touching the woman, much less hurting her. Ichabod turned his crimson eyes on the other Sciens, pursing his lips. “Are you hurt?” Though the wellbeing of the cat was of little importance to him, this was different; the good Lord had chosen the coyotes as his children, after all, no matter how diluted the woman’s blood was.

He sighed, running a hand through his waxen locks exasperatedly. “Look, let’s jus’ get outta the woods. Get you patched up.” The stench of predator and blood mingled in the air, heavy and thick. “Bring the cat, too -- the ravens’ll pick at it if you leave it.” His tone turned razor-sharp, matching the intensity of his eyes. “Don’t think you’re gettin’ off scot free. Vicira will hear a’ this.”

Template by Andi
Inferni
Sciens
Sanba
Luperci

POSTED: Thu May 10, 2018 3:02 pm

Aliyah felt horrible, and she knew how Max looked. She knew that she was just making that stuff up, and that she was just scared of ravens apparently. Her outburst made her tremble, and she knew what would happen. Ichabod was also obviously trying to protect himself, and maybe he wasn't so terrifying. Aliyah just knew she had to put her trust in him and give him a chance for once, and learn to know that he was just a normal Infernian like everyone else. Perhaps she just had a hard time getting along with others, or she just didn't trust the way how he acted. Aliyah was just protective of Max, and now she knew she needed to get help, or she and Max would both end up dying. Surely Ichabod knew what he was doing. "Yea, just my head. Nothing serious." Aliyah replied, feeling the wet blood on her head. "No need to worry about me. I'll be okay, but I think Max needs more help than I do." She looked over to the injured and bandaged bobcat, who apparently looked like his leg was really broken, and injured. Aliyah used all the strength she could to get up, and succeeded, only able to fight the urge to fall over and pass out. "Also, I'm sorry for how I acted." She apologized sadly, looking down. "I was just...scared. Apparently I don't know how to get along with anyone." Aliyah looked down at poor Max, who was trying to cling on to life. Her heart began beating very fast, shocked at what had happened. "Perhaps I should tell you my backstory when we make amends, I guess. You'll understand why I acted that way." And then, when Aliyah heard about Vicira going to be notified of what had happened, she felt lightheaded. It was obvious, Ichabod was a Sciens, and he had to report, and Aliyah knew Vicira would be on Ichabod's side, maybe because he was more experienced and was a member for a longer period of time than her. Aliyah knew she wouldn't be trusted.

And then she looked at Max, knowing what would happen. Much to Merari's suggestion, Vicira would force him to leave, and then Aliyah would maybe leave too, and find a better and kinder family. Maybe join a better pack that would have more pity on her? Well, she wasn't suitable for any pack besides Inferni, as far as she knew. "And if Vicira hears about this, I don't want to go through any sadness and misery." Aliyah said sadly.
"Have her kill me."

Inferni
Sciens
Tess/Tessa
Non-Luperci

Dead Topics