Out of place in your own home.

p: Kadar | D'Neville Mansion

POSTED: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:53 am

Wraith is in her optime form practicing stick fighting. It's just past noon. Set in the garden behind the mansion.

Ever since returning to Inferni, Wraith had realized that if she wanted to actually be good at her rank, she would have to get better at defending herself. She could fight well on four legs and when she had her bow and arrows, she was a pretty decent shot. But now, she worried that without her weapon of choice, she would be defenseless. So, she had found a quarterstaff in the storage room in the mansion. She headed out in the garden to try and test out this weapon.

Holding it in her hand, it certainly felt different from her usual bow and arrow. It was about the same length of her bow, but was straight and heavier. It felt as though it could deal quite a bit of damage. She had a spear leaning against the house, too, but she didn't want to practice with something with a blade until she was more comfortable with it.

She tried a few preliminary strikes, but found it was difficult without much of an idea on how to use it. She remembered she'd asked Valkyrie about staff fighting and although her sister had a bit of basic knowledge, she needed more. If she shifted her feet, she'd get all tangled up. How could she stop that? And why was the staff so heavy? She felt like she was either going to drop it or hit herself in the face with it. This wasn't as easy as she thought it would be.
Wraith Creed
I thought I felt a spark; thought I felt a flame
when something changed in you, who took the blame?

Tammi
Luperci Crown Contest Winner!

POSTED: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:47 pm

'Cause I know my weakness, know my voice, and I'll believe in grace and choice

Though the language barrier between them was quite the hassle, Kadar was making steady progress by using the simplest words he knew. His offer of special herbal tea to Harosheth was going over about as well as one could imagine. The healer regarded him, and his Brother, with a skeptical eye. Nadir hovered near the door; well out of reach to be of any use, but close enough to observe with a smile. Kadar sighed and rubbed the space between his brows with an index finger. "It helps head pains. Trust Kadar?" Harosheth looked to the bag of tea, to Kadar, and back again. She took the bag from him and busied herself with sorting it into her system, waving the males off with a dismissive hand. Kadar turned on his heel and exited the hospital, with Nadir silently following at his heels. It was unlike him to be back before noon, but he would be branded a liar if he said he didn't appreciate the company.

As they strode across the grounds, a flash of movement caught his attention and he moved his gaze across the yard to the garden. In the middle was a female resident balancing a staff rather awkwardly in her hands. Kadar noted the lack of technique in her movement, and the frustration painted across the lines of her face. Even from this distance it was obvious to him that she had no previous experience with the weapon. He didn't claim much knowledge of staff combat, but many beginner's mistakes could normally be corrected with a few basic lessons in proper stance. Nadir sensed Kadar's intentions and scowled, lowering his head so that his eyes were hidden by shadow. "Again? How many more novices are you going to take under your wing, son of Night?" Kadar lent him a withering glare, finding Nadir's hawkish gaze despite the his attempt to hide it. "What does it matter to you? The stronger the clan, the less we need concern ourselves with basic duties." Nadir didn't reply as he strode off towards the back door of the mansion.

That said and done, Kadar approached the younger coyote with a smile on his lips. He spread his arms in an active gesture of good will. "First time?" He questioned. The Syrian didn't often find it in himself to mock the inexperienced, unlike Nadir, because they often harbored a great deal of potential in many things. And he wasn't an arrogant moron. She was around his age, with a slight, but healthy, build. There was muscle in her arms though originating from what, Kadar could not say. There were many women who chose to be warriors in Tehran, so this sight came as no surprise to him. She was quite pretty, though, in a foreign way. The autumnal hues of her coat were extremely rare in his part of the world. "I am Kadar. Want helping?" He asked kindly.

They were arguing in Arabic, but he's speaking English from here on out. :) +400 words

POSTED: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:51 pm

Wraith swung around, stick in hand, at the sound of a voice. Slightly startled by the arrival, she fumbled the stick, almost losing control of it and throwing it right into the stranger’s face. She didn’t want to injure any of her fellow clanmates, so she tried to recover her stick, but just ended up dropping it. She jumped back and it clattered to the ground.

“Uh, yeah, first time. Some help would be great. I’ve never used one of these,” she said, as she bent down to pick it back up. “Normally I use a bow and arrow,” she added, jerking her hand to where her weapons were sitting against the house, “or just fight on four legs,” she explained.

She felt like she should say something more, but his voice sounded different, sort of like how Rémy had sounded. But his words came out differently than Rémy’s had, so she wondered if they were both from the same place. Maybe not.
Wraith Creed

Tammi

POSTED: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:11 pm

The staff she was using slipped out of her hands after an, admittedly, valiant attempt to recover and clattered to the ground. He took a step forward to pick it up, but stopped when she beat him to the punch. His smile grew to a grin when she admitted to never actually wielding this particular weapon before; it was obvious to him, but he appreciated her effort in smoothing over the conversation. Kadar followed her motion to where the bow and arrow set leaned against the mansion, only to return his gaze to her own and nod. "I understanding."

The dark Syrian slid into a particularly balanced stance. It wasn't his usual fighting pose; his feet where firmly planted, and one knee angled. He imagined a phantom staff in his hands. "Staff combat is like dance." He said, "Two thing become one thing. Each move flowing to another." He moved, mimicking the staff in his hands as he brought it down in a swift motion, his other foot moving ahead of the first and his shoulder twisting to execute the motion. His ears twitched forward and then back as he straightened and gestured to Wraith with a smile. "Staff is like companion, not tool." He said.

Sorry for the wait. Won't happen again. :) +400 words

POSTED: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:42 pm

Woot woot :D (WC: 450)
There was a bit of an awkward moment when both Wraith and the dark-furred coy-guy tried to snag the staff, but Wraith recovered it too quickly for him to be of assistance. She frowned when he spoke again, wondering why he was pronouncing his words wrong. He didn’t sound like Rémy at all now that she thought about it. Rémy seemed to be able to speak properly, but chose not to, whereas this fellow sounded so… odd. No, that wasn’t right, either; Rémy had said he spoke a different language. Maybe this fellow did too.

Wraith banished her thoughts and instead focused on the other coyotes’ stance, which he fell in to easily and quickly. She wasn’t sure how it was a dance, but she could understand the idea of it being a connection. When she used her bow and arrow, the less she thought about it, the easier it was.

Even without a weapon, he made it look perfect. His step forward and the smooth swish of his hands showed how she ought to step. Whereas with her bow and arrow, she was solitary and strong, here, she had to be dynamic and strong. She could trace the tension in his arms, the focus in his eyes, and the power behind his step. Whereas she planted her feet with finality when she used her bow and arrow, he drew power from his first step. It was different, but she thought she could see the similarities.

“Okay,” she murmured as she glanced over her shoulder and took a few steps back. She angled her body first as if she was going to use a bow and arrow, but then twisted her torso back to the front to square her shoulders. Now, her stance was too narrow, so she stepped to the right with her back foot. With her left leg in front and her right leg in the back, she repositioned her grasp on the staff and tried to hold it so that her hands were closer to the middle of the wood. It felt too heavy holding it on the end, so she could see now why she had dropped it.

She drew the staff over her head, stepped forward, and then slashed down. Each movement was done very slowly and separately of one another, so she hadn’t expected to literally fling the staff into the ground. The force of her strike caused her to overextend her arm and strike the ground with the top of the staff. The vibrations and the shock of hitting the ground so hard made her drop it again. Embarrassed, she laughed awkwardly and stooped to pick it up again, her hands still tingling.
Wraith Creed

Tammi

POSTED: Thu May 09, 2013 11:15 pm

Kadar caught on to her slight pause and ascertained that it was likely due to his accent. He still struggled with it, and knew that he'd never be able to temper it completely; the Syrian would always speak with a jilted, awkward pace, but so long as she understood him he had little to worry about. She'd watched him intensely as he went through the motions to absorb the visual information he was gifting her with. The dark Tiro quite enjoyed teaching others what he knew; it was part of his upbringing to share all that he owned. Knowledge was of special importance to his former clan. Fighting, books, or otherwise.

He took a few steps back to give her enough space to try out the movements. Kadar let his hands rest idly at his side; crossing them implied impatience, of which he felt little. But the smile still lingered on his lip as she demonstrated what she'd learned from the brief lesson. Her first try was a bit too tight, but he was pleased when she adjusted the placement of her feet to loosen it. She also spaced out her hands like he had done with his own mimickry of the staff, and let the weight sink into her palms. Kadar's smile grew to a toothy grin when she slowly, but meticulously, followed through the steps. The loud thunk of the staff against the ground was akin to the sound of success in Kadar's ears.

She did, however, drop the staff again and he laughed along with her. "You get familiar with pain." He explained, "Good! You having strength. Soon you crack skulls, hah!" The Syrian moved closer and slid into the stance again. "You can also use to, eh, trip? Make falling." He remarked, using the invisible staff to slowly show her the step-by-step motions of bringing the wooden weapon behind ankles, and sweeping it forward. "Or," He jabbed towards the back of her knee, and jerked his gaze up with a grin. "Weak spot. Most forgetting it during fight."

+300 words

POSTED: Sat May 18, 2013 7:52 pm

Wraith hoped that he was laughing out of experience or familiarity and not at her per say. She was a bit self-conscious of her fighting abilities since she was both the daughter of a longtime Inferni warrior and a spy. She didn’t need to fight, but she had always assumed that it would be stupid not to learn how. Besides, as a spy, she needed to be able to turn any situation around and fight no matter what the circumstances should something go awry.

Though, when Kadar suggested she could crack skulls with the weapon, her smile broadened and she laughed out loud. She hadn’t known that this stick could do that much damage. She wondered how much she would have to practice to learn how to do that.

Kadar then suggested that she could use it to trip someone and Wraith nodded, not having realized this. She straightened up, staff in her hands, and mimicked the low swooping motion that Kadar demonstrated. She tried it out a few more times before Kadar suggested something else: striking at the back of the knees.

“Like this?” she asked, motioning to the back of his knees with her staff, hoping to get his permission to gently tap his legs to see what the effect would be.
Wraith Creed

Tammi

Dead Topics