Old To New

Dahlia|Tanner Occupation

POSTED: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:55 pm

OOC: "Repurpose an old piece of leather into something new, or give an old outfit some new flair!" Sorry for the crummy start. WC: +2

IC: The soft scraping of the stone tool against the pliable leather could be heard coming from inside the rickety cabin. Inside, Zsorthia worked on smoothing out the inner surface of an old summer weight cloak that was now going to be turned into a fur-lined winter weight cloak. The surface had to be roughed up before she could attach the bear fur pelt to the inside and collar of the garment, and it would take a while to texturize the entire hide.

Working diligently by the light of the filtered sun coming through the busted window, the red coydog hummed quietly to herself as she went. It was an old tune, one she knew from childhood that her mother used to sing to her. It was one of the only surviving comforts of her past. Pausing in her task, the Mercedes woman took a swing of whiskey from the flask sitting at the head of the splayed out cloak upon the floor. Sure there were probably better locations to do her tanning, but today the threat of rain made the woman weary of working outdoors. Her vats of brain mixtures and work space outside was packed away and the wooden frames for her hides were all leaned against the side of the shack. At least the cloak was a small enough piece it didn't require a lot of work space to be dealt with.

Grunting, leaning back on her heels, the red woman sighed, and looked over her handiwork. She'd need to roughen the next two cloaks she had lined up and waiting on the small rickety table nearby, then she could worry about attaching the fur. Glancing out the window a moment at the condition of the sky, she could see the storm clouds gathering. Yep, it was the right decision to work inside today.
Zsorthia

Del Cenere Gang
El Probado
Westy
Luperci Venerate savagery, Die savagely

POSTED: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:50 am

The best part of getting lost
Is finding yourself

The more that Dahlia thought about, the more it made sense. In the past, at least when it came to hunting, she was not one to dwell on what could be done with all the parts of the animal. She just needed to get something so that she could feed her family or feed the others that were part of the group she was living with, be that Inferni, Salsola, or even the members of the two loner bands. There wasn't much of a reason to think more on something like now.

Now that she was in a position to make something of herself, to do what she wanted, the more she started to think smart. And it didn't help that Nazario's word of 'liability' constantly hung in the back of her mind. Perhaps it was that word in turn that helped to motivate her. In order to prove him wrong, she had to work hard to show him she did have some skills that would make her a useful member of the Gang.

Even if he already believed that to be true, it was still something to strive for.

So, in terms of taking care of an animal, she knew how to take care of the meat, the bones could be saved to make some tools, something else that might be looked into. The organs was something she was still in the process of trying to figure out, unless anyone was looking to eat them along with some freshly cooked meat. Well, if she was trying to spice up some of their kills, then maybe it wouldn't hurt to try and do the same with the organs as well.

So all that left was dealing with the fur or hide of the animal. When it came to such a thing, she was at a loss. She was used to handing over that piece to someone else. Now, if she could learn how to care for the hides, that would be something different.

Then she really could tend to a whole animal.

The gray coyote turned her head up towards the sky, darker clouds starting to hang over them. It looked like it was going to rain soon, meaning it would be wise that she get inside before the water started to pour down from the heavens. Her head turned to the side, noticing someone else peeking up at the clouds. The dark pelted woman was someone Dahlia had seen around, but never really knew that much about her. Raising a hand, she gave a wave to the woman, "Looks like we're in store for some crap weather huh?"

It's all good. +400 words.
Dahlia Winthrop

Del Cenere Gang
El Probado
Salena
Luperci Mate to Boone Chaos Star You have to love yourself a fire

POSTED: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:28 pm

WC: +2

She almost missed the approach of the other woman. A double take out the window and then another out the door made sure Zsorthia wasn't seeing things. Sure enough one of her pack mates was coming up to the cabin. The woman gave a friendly wave. Oh what was her name? Dolly? No... Dahlia! That was it! After all, the entire pack had attended her and Boone's wedding not that long ago. The Mercedes woman internally scolded herself for not knowing the names and faces of her fellow Ashen as well as she should.

Giving a deep nod to the woman, Zsorthia waved back, scraping tool in hand. "Looks like we're in store for some crap weather huh?" The other commented and the red coydog snorted with a soft chuckle. "Most definitely. I've had to batten everything down. Why don't you come on in before it hits." She beckoned Dahlia up onto the porch and into the rickety cabin with a friendly smile, sitting back on her heels again from her spot on the floor where she worked on the cloak. "Dahlia, right?"

Setting her tool aside, Zsorthia stood, and offered a paw to shake. "We ain't properly met, I know. But I've seen ya around." She said with a smile. "You and Boone make a great couple." She winked before turning towards a low slung table where a collection of dishware utensils sat, among other items of daily life. "What brings you out here to my place?" She glanced over her shoulder. "Can I offer you a drink?" The woman held up two cups in offering, ticking her head at a jug recognizable as some of Evelyn's moonshine that sat on a shelf on the wall above the fireplace.
Zsorthia

Del Cenere Gang
El Probado
Westy
Luperci Venerate savagery, Die savagely

POSTED: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:45 pm

The best part of getting lost
Is finding yourself

Dahlia was not fond of the rain, though she wasn't sure she knew of anyone that might. Well, maybe Santiago might with how many times he went to the water's edge to go fishing, but that was really the only one that was coming to mind. Any other time, the only good time for having water on the body was when any of them were washing up.

A smile moved along her muzzle as the dark female offered to have the other coyote come inside her home, at least giving both of them a place to stay dry, even before the storm hit. Well... at least she would have already been dry which would have left Dahlia to go sprinting to get back to the Bar.. and then have to clean up whatever mess she dragged inside from the storm.

Moving up to the porch, the gray coyote lowered her head in greeting, carefully stepping inside the cabin. Her green gaze moved up to the meet with the woman's, "Yeah, that's right. You're... Zsorthia right? I don't think we've been able to formally meet. Were you with the Posse?" She might have recalled seeing someone like her with their group, but so many incidents in the loner bands just seemed to blur together at this point.

And it didn't do them much good to think on the past did it?

Taking her hand in to shake with the darker woman, she couldn't help but give a small blush when she heard that comment. She loved being with Boone, obviously, or they wouldn't have been getting married in the first place. It was nice to hear that others approved of their mateship as well.

To the offer of a drink, Dahlia politely declined, but prompted to answer the question that had been asked of her, "Well, I was just coming out to think mainly. I've been working a lot with butchering and hunting, and I figured it would only make sense that I started learning how to take care of the animals' furs and hides. I wasn't entirely sure where to start though." She had no prior knowledge, so this would be something entirely new to her.

+300 words.
Dahlia Winthrop

Del Cenere Gang
El Probado
Salena
Luperci Mate to Boone Chaos Star You have to love yourself a fire

Del Cenere Gang