A Cold Shot of Adrenaline

[p] - Raven

POSTED: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:52 pm

Remy’s small form sat just outside his adoptive family’s home. He looked insignificant amidst a clear sky full of stars, sweeping curtains of gossamer green, trailing across the sky. Their beauty was reflected in the small pup’s golden eyes, his gaze fixed upon them. The sight almost made him forget how cold he was…almost. The night was clear, and winter had come to the pack’s lands, a downy coated pup was no match for such a terrible cold, but at least it kept him awake, kept him from another nightmare. He loved Evelyn, and Santiago, and all his adopted siblings, but none had managed to assuage the bone deep fear the small pup felt when it was time to sleep. Of course, many small puppies might resent having to sleep, but Remy had always done as he was told while in the household, grateful to have a place to try to belong, but this was the hardest instruction to obey, and one he never found he could. Of course, the cruelty of it all was, that sleep always when, no matter how hard he struggled against it, it took him, at least out here, he was too cold to drift off.

Inside, snuggled against Calhoun, his blunted nose tucked beneath the larger sibling’s belly, curled and in a contented nest, it was all too easy to succumb, and then the shadow would appear, and always he would wake thrashing and wet, more often than not, disturbing all those around him. What if he kept doing it? What if it wouldn’t stop? What if one day, Evelyn and Santiago decided he was too much of a disturbance and took him back to where Evelyn had found him? Oversized ears drooped and his puppyish features, blunted as they were, looked down at the ground, his body shivering once or twice as he sat there. Remy scooted backwards to the door, which was still open the smallest of cracks and from which came a little stream of warm air.

Why was it that the night was such a scary time? Why did all of his thoughts have to bubble up now? Part of him clamoured for sleep, but fear of it was strong, a wariness that was not in his mind. He was afraid. The shadow had teeth, it had eyes and Remy was too small, not strong enough to fight it, and no matter how fast or how far he ran, the shadow always won.
Del Cenere Gang
Chispa
Draiko

POSTED: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:18 pm

(609)

Sorry for the wait! <3 Remy breaks my hearrrrttttt ! T_T

The night was cold and dark, hardly any light came from the small crescent moon that hung above illuminating the snow around them so it was not overly pitch black. There were few nights that she slept straight through without the nightmares plaguing her mind, these were the nights she found herself wandering the pack territory looking for something to keep her occupied whether it was tending to the animals, or getting a head start on her other chores for the morning. This night was particular bad with the wind whistling through the trees and taunting her every step. Winding her way through the town the Sinclaire woman could not help but cross her arms over her chest and try to suppress a chill that crept up her spine.

A flash of movement sent her into a defensive stance as she shot around to see who it was out of the corner of her eye. The movement came from the doorstep of Miss Escuella who had been the first face they had met when they came to Del Cenere. The porch laid in deep shadow and therefore she could not see much of anything and wondered if she had just imagined it all. Yet, another small movement proved her wrong as something was crouching near the door way which was cracked open a bit. Raven's eyes pinched together in concern, was someone really out to rob their pack mates in the middle of the night like this? Especially such a kind woman who appeared to have children of her own from what she could gather from the small pack meetings she had been apart of.

Ready to go in fists flying, Raven quickly approached but noticed there were not any extra or new sets of footprints in the snow around the porch, but that did not mean anything as they could have crept through from some where else. Once she got close enough with the right wind a familiar scent caught her nose and that's when the small shadow formed into something more tangible that she could see with her eyes. The bright eyes of the youth tipped her off first as they flashed in the darkness catching what little light there was. Relaxing slightly, but still on edge as she did not know what to say to someone sneaking out so young she paused, hesitating.

"Sorry to scare you, but what are you doing up so late?" she asked with a certain effort of making herself appear sweeter than what she normally was. Throwing her hands up she paused, her nose picking up the fear scent that seemed to be emanating from the poor boy. The fear scent was thick making her nose scrunch up at it momentarily, surely she had not scared him that bad and this was clearly coming from a deeper place than just a stranger wandering around in the night.

"Are you okay... darling?" she croaked out, trying to be as least intimidating as possible, but not one-hundred percent sure on how to go about to speak to someone so... young. Rembrandt was much better at these things than she was, but that did not stop her from trying. It was just another welcoming distraction from her own night time haunts that would focus her brain entirely on someone else's problems than dealing with her own. She paused, hesitating and waiting for a response, but decided last minute to come to a seat on the lowest step in hopes he would come closer or explain exactly why he was out here. Maybe she scared him enough that he would just run right back inside.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"Raven speaks." "Rembrandt speaks."

table image credit: stock site, edited by me.
Del Cenere Gang
El Probado
Mads
Luperci Del Cenere's Top Poster

POSTED: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:08 pm

Remy noticed that he’d been spotted, and perhaps the smarter move would have been to go inside, but the cold pup stayed where he was and watched. The stranger was tall, their fur thick, no doubt because winter had arrived. The diffuse light of the moon, which had passed behind thin cloud, made the piercings in the stranger’s ears glitter and glint. Remy had never seen anything like it before, and he couldn’t help wonder if it hurt. As the stranger drew closer, scrunching up their face and squinting, a distinct signature of smells wafted over him. Horses, copper, salt and something else he’d only recently become familiar with, cigarettes.

Remy felt shame as she put her hands to her muzzle, because there was no doubt to the small pup now, that the stranger was a she. The newcomer could obviously smell his fear, but if her actions were anything to go by, she clearly think it was nothing to do with her, which was true. Despite that, there was still a slightly tension in the small pup, he was always pleased to see anyone from the pack, but it was night time, and in the dark, well that was when the imagination ran wild, and thoughts of monsters and vicious predators came to the forefront of a mind, especially the mind of a puppy.

As she sat down, she spoke, and her throaty voice was so unique, Remy almost didn’t realise that she’d posed a question to him, so entranced by the way she spoke was he. For a moment he contemplated staying silent, but the female in front of him was a grown up, and no matter how rebellious, grownups represented authority.

” I can’t sleep.” He offered, his voice quiet and a little bashful. ”Who are you?” he asked. The question wasn’t rude, or at least wasn’t meant to be, but curiosity came before politeness in the world of a pup.
Del Cenere Gang
Chispa
Draiko

POSTED: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:57 am

(537)

-

There was a sadness that she could not help but feel akin to as it was recognizable in herself as well. Something dark haunted this poor thing and she could not help but also see it for what it could potentially be. She tried to stave off the thoughts that were flooding through her mind at the moment, but focusing on the task at hand would be enough to calm her mind from the wild thoughts that ran through it only moments before. He needed some kind of help, and maybe a help only one that had been through so many things before could muster. It would not be an easy task, but the least she could do was sit here and talk to him about it.

She watched as his eyes took her all in, feeling the coldness of her piercings as his eyes passed over them. Normally, she forgot they were even there, but with him looking them over she felt the cold of the metal on her ears and she watched him with a tender look that was rare for the woman. Yet, she could not help but feel a kinship to this small pup. A kindred spirit of sorts, although she would never truly share the horrors that she encountered during her whole five years of being alive on this ghastly world. It would be too much for even him to comprehend, and way too long of a story for her to delve into at least until he was much older and could understand. Maybe his problems were simple and small in comparison, but either way, she felt like she could perhaps help.

As she sat down, it appeared as if he fought with himself in order to give her an answer. She waited patiently as he finally spoke giving a small, empathetic nod. "I can't sleep either," she agreed, letting out a soft sigh as she glanced up at the ghostly light that the moon offered the two on the doorstep of an unfamiliar house.

"I'm Raven. My brother Rembrandt and I only recently moved here," she said quietly, hoping her smoky voice did not carry through into the house and wake those that slept so peacefully within. "It's cold, why don't you come a little closer darling, you can tell me what is keeping you up so late. Maybe I can help?" she asked, patting the spot beside her if he felt like he could trust her enough to get closer. She would not press the issue, but his soft, downy fur was not nearly enough to protect him from the cold of the outdoors at this time of night. Especially when he was sitting so still. There would not be much she could do for him perhaps, but at least a listening, empathetic ear could do wonders for him to help him sleep at least and perhaps Raven could find some calm herself in her resolve that would also allow her to sleep.

Leaning against the post beside her, she waited silently, as her thoughts dipped into darker memories as her mind wandered momentarily, until she snapped it back as her golden eyes turned to focus on the small cub.

Del Cenere Gang
El Probado
Mads

POSTED: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:20 pm

Remy’s bright gold eyes watched as his pack mate came and sat on the porch. Grown ups were always so tall, and it often left Remy with a crick in his neck having to look up at them, so he was glad Raven had sat down. His quivered in delight at the sound of her voice, deep and sonorous as it was. For a moment he forgot about his fear, the curiosity posed by this new grown up with the metal in her. He had a hundred question about those alone. Evie said staring was rude, but it was so unusual, out of the ordinary, that Remy couldn’t help himself. For a brief moment he wondered what he would look like with metal in his ears.

Raven had moved slowly and spoken softly, both things that made Remy feel safe, and her reduced height of course, put them both on a similar level, although he never forgot that she was the grown up. When she patted the space beside her, the pup hesitated, not because he was afraid of her, but because he was worried he would relax, and then he’d fall asleep, and that’s what he had to avoid at all costs! His desire not to be cold, drove him towards Raven though, and he snuggled against her, doing his best to press into her, so that he could feel the warmth from her leaching into him. Finally warming, but doing his best to stay sat up straight and alert, he answered her question.

”Not sleepy.” Remy said, almost automatically, just like the excuse he gave to Evie or Santiago when they said it was bed time. Unfortunately, the jaw cracking yawn that followed this statement made him an obvious liar, and though he’d done his best to stifle it, it had been impossible. Remy looked sheepish, concentrating on the furry leg beside him, rather than looking at the other’s expression. ”I have nightmares, monsters try to eat me.” he said, even thinking of the enormous shadowy figure with the gleaming eyes and teeth, chasing him made Remy start to shake. His mind did its best to push the subject away and instead latched onto to Raven’s piercings.

”Does the metal hurt? Can I get them in my ears?” Every question that wasn’t about his sleep or his dreams drew him one step further away from the nasty monsters.
Del Cenere Gang
Chispa
Draiko

POSTED: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:34 pm

(384)

-

The pup appeared to hesitate momentarily as she patted the spot beside her. Her golden eyes fell to his own as she watched, waiting without expectation hoping he would not be taken aback by her behavior. It all felt so odd to her, but she felt like she needed to do something to help the little guy out. Never had the woman had a fondness for pups, but he somehow caught her on a good night, and that recognition of something familiar in his own eyes had pulled at her own heart and caused her to draw back her barriers a bit.

A moment later he gave in, padding over to her tentatively before snuggled up beside her and pressing his small warm body into her thigh and she awkwardly moved her hand to place it around his back to keep him even warmer. The chill in the air was cool and it would only get colder as the night grew darker right before dawn. He claimed he was not sleepy, but the huge yawn he took right after that sentence suggested otherwise giving away his little lie. There was clearly something keeping him up, and her thoughts were confirmed when he said monsters tried to eat him in his dreams. Frowning, she nodded, knowingly.

"That can be really scary, you are not alone. Monster's chase me in my dreams too," she sighed, her voice lowered so she would not wake up anyone inside the house. He attempted to distract her from the conversation and Raven let it happen, hoping she could ease his mind in other ways until he fell asleep once again.

"They do at first, it's like a really sharp pinch. Almost like when you bite your lip or cheek accidentally, but after that the pain slowly goes away over a few days," she explained, not sure how to answer the next question that quickly followed. "When you are a little older you could definitely get them in your ears if you wanted," she shrugged, giving him a small squeeze against her hoping their conversation was enough to distract the boy for a few moments at least. Maybe she would crack through what really was bothering him, but she needed to build some kind of relatinship with the young pup first.

Del Cenere Gang
El Probado
Mads

POSTED: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:05 am

Raven’s hand was rough, steady and warm. It made Remy shiver as he realised how cold it’d been without the grownup’s heat. Now that the golden eyed pup was beside her, Raven’s low, rich tone, made his chest vibrate, and Remy found the experience extremely comforting, plus it tickled a little bit, and that made him giggle softly. As she spoke of monsters in her dreams as well, Remy’s expression became one of curiosity and surprise, his would have doubtless formed an O shape, if it’d been able to. He didn’t make any comment though, just listened as the older Luperci went on to explain about the metal in her ears, and winced at the thought of a pinch, he didn’t like those at all.

”If it hurts. Why do you do it?” he asked, wondering what would be so important that Raven would hurt herself for it.

Unfortunately, her answer to the real reason why he was still awake, kept nudging at him. Evie had mentioned that she had bad dreams as well. He didn’t understand it, how could there be a monster as big as a grown-up? Surely they had nothing to be frightened of?

”Raven…” Remy began ”You’re a grownup, can’t you fight the monsters? Will I always have monsters in my dreams?” That last question, it was the one he was most afraid of, the idea that when he grew up the monsters would still be there. ”How do you sleep knowing they’re there?”

As he asked the question he lowered his head, so he was hunkered down, protected by Raven’s thigh, so that no monsters could possibly see him, making himself as small as he possibly could to avoid notice from all except her.
Del Cenere Gang
Chispa
Draiko

POSTED: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:01 pm

(572)

-

Raven could feel the pup relax beside her as the soft rise and falls of his quick breath eased a bit with her touch. She felt a little guilty for not turning him into his parents, but that would not help with the demons that seemed to plague his mind. There was something familiar about the shadows that appeared to dance in his eyes and perhaps it was something akin to the own darkness that plagued her. Either way, at least he would not be alone in the darkness, and perhaps she could get him to go back into bed without worrying anyone.

He remained silent as she spoke of her own monsters, a look of sincere surprise that she too faced monsters, but he made no comment on it yet as he mulled it over in his young mind. His attention quickly shifted back to the piercings in her ears though and she could not help but laugh and shrug.

"Y'know kid, I don't know. Some people do it for traditional means - like something their parents did, and others just like the way they look. For some, it is a rite of passage, and each piercing could mean something different to everyone. Although, it doesn't need to mean anything and you just want one because it looks nice," she explained awkwardly. Each piercing she had represented a time of great change or upheaval in her life, although those thoughts of her past were quickly expelled from her mind as they sat in silence for a moment as the pup seemed to be chewing on some bigger thoughts in his small mind. Unable to comprehend the intricacies of hardship that they could endure in their life with what little experience he had. Maybe he experienced more than even she could imagine.

"Some monsters can't be fought with tooth and nail," she began slowly, trying to make this tough lesson a little more comprehendible to the youth. "Some of those monsters are within us and they..." she paused for just a moment before continuing with her analogy, "Well, it's almost like they haunt us like a ghost of sorts. Although its not really there, it's in our minds," she said, her eyes turning up towards the twinkling stars in the sky as she attempted to sort through how she could explain this without completely scaring the small child. "It's like our memories of our scariest moments get twisted and turned in our minds, and that feeling that we experienced grows bigger and bigger and eats at our dreams because that's how it feeds. Off of our sadness and our fear," she paused, her eyes dropping back down to his golden orbs that stared up at her.

"Well, some nights I don't sleep that well, but I find that if I am having the same nightmare over and over, if I concentrate during the day of different outcomes to that nightmare, better outcomes, I try and picture it really hard throughout the day, and sometimes it helps to change my dreams at night. It might not always work, but I find it does help a bit," she stated, although really, she had found it hard to cope with the nightmares still despite her many attempts of trying to get rid of it. "I'm no pro or anything though, but even just talking to someone about your dreams and nightmares can make them less scary."

Del Cenere Gang
El Probado
Mads

POSTED: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:27 pm

Remy decided that he could listen to Raven talking forever. What she said was confusing, and a little scary, but he bet she told the best bedtime stories. Perhaps it was just him being tired, or perhaps it was because it was night time, but Raven seemed a little bit sad so Remy put his head on her leg, licking her hand gently. As he did, he tasted her, another grownup, that was now part of his family within this pack.

”My mama died.” Remy said at last ”Don’t remember her being got, but Evie says she found me under mama.”

Of course, they day his mama died was a said day, and Remy wished it hadn’t happened, but he couldn’t remember the day, so how could he be scared of it? Yet, he couldn’t think of any other events in his life that were sad. He loved his family here, and loved DCG, everyone he’d spoken to had taken care of him, or looked out for him.

”Think about in daytime?” Remy shuddered at the thought, he did his best to push those thoughts all the way down, and only when his mind relax did things bubble back up. Remy’s face scrunched up in an unusual sad face, and for a moment it looked as though he was about to cry, instead his voice was soft, sleepy, but tinged with petulance.

”Don’t want to have bad dreams. Cal doesn’t have bad dreams.” he turned his face away from Raven, his ears drooping slightly, shame written in every inch of his body language ”When I wake up, I wet the bed. I want be like Cal! He doesn’t mind anything!”

What Remy really wanted, but couldn’t express, was to be normal, to not make a mess whenever he woke, to not suffer the nightmares.

Without asking, Remy used Raven as a climbing frame, moving onto her lap and snuggling into her. Raven was a grownup, better equipped to deal with bad dreams, and she was strong, he had no doubt that she would scare them away, and so here, in this place, on this Luperci, he was safe, and if he did fall asleep, not that he was planning to, but if he did, then he could relax.
Del Cenere Gang
Chispa
Draiko

POSTED: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:28 pm

(503)

We could wrap this up and have a new up-to-date thread? c:

The boy attempted to take in every little bit of her words, trying to figure out and piece it together to make sense of the whole mess. Raven was not sure if she was expressing herself in the simplest of terms, but he seemed to grab the majority of it. Her ears perked up, awaiting any questions or concerns she may be able to clear up for the young boy. Everyone dealt with trauma in their lives differently, and what worked for one person may not work for them all.

Her eyes slid back down his tiny frame as he opened his mouth to speak and her heart dropped as he explained that his mother had died, she suspected as much because the young boy did not look much like her or anyone else in the pack to be frank, his dark features and bright eyes were unlike anyone else she knew in the pack. He also did not appear to be the same age, but she never truly knew the story behind it all. With a frown, she considered her words for a moment, "I'm sorry that happened darlin'," she whispered, giving the boy a little squeeze to reassure him.

He went on to explain he did not want to think about it in the daytime and his scrunched up face attested to that fact. He would need to deal with it eventually, but he was still so young so how could she force that choice on him. She could not; she could only lead him down a road if he was willing to go. "Myself, I find it easier to deal with things during the daylight hours, they don't really seem so scary when I think about them then. But, if that's not what you want to do, then don't, just know you can always talk to me if you feeling like you need to," she offered, running her fingers through the soft, puppy fur along his side.

"Cal might not be bothered by anything because he has never had to deal with anything like you or I. You are braver than you think, just for that alone," she reassured him. Their conversation drifted, and so too did the pup as he wavered beside her. There was a moment of silence before he stood up, moving closer to her and unexpectedly hopped into her lap. Startled for a moment, the woman remained absolutely still at the touch as he got comfortable on her soft thighs and curled up. Relaxing for a moment, she lifted one of her hands and rested it on him and took a deep steadying breath herself. She leaned back against the post and relaxed herself, remaining quiet and careful not to disturb the young boy.

The pale yellow eyes of the woman lifted up to the skies above as she looked up at the bright moon hanging over them and for the first time in a very long time she murmured a little prayer for the boy.

Del Cenere Gang
El Probado
Mads

Del Cenere Gang