mon sang est de l'eau de mer

[aw][co-rank thread]

POSTED: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:37 pm

AW for 1 - for Corsair I
the weather forecast is a light snow accompanied by angst

Scavenge along the coastline and make observations about the sea.

Breath, should I take a deep? Faith, should I take the leap?

White flakes blew past her face lightly, dancing on the wind that carried them. She exhaled a white cloud to join them before the mist faded into the air. On she walked. The ground beneath her was sandy, having given way from the grass that was characteristic of the lower land beneath the rocky hills.

This place strangely felt more like home than anything in New Caledonia had thus far. There were jagged cliffs overlooking the water and sweeps of rocky, sandy beaches between. It was more like the Shattered Coast. It felt more like home. Part of her wished she had taken her father's grave marker but it belonged where it had been put. Bringing a lost home to a new come was like wishing for bad luck to befall oneself.

The tide was out, mercifully, and the woman navigated through the rocky outcroppings to be closer to the sea. She stood, dangerously close, to where the waves battered the barnacle-encrusted stone and covered everything with a dangerous slick sheen of water. The salt kept the frost at bay, for the moment.

Kalypso's experienced feet kept her safely standing against the sea wind that was stronger the closer she got to the water's edge. There the snow was somewhat sharper and left the taste of salt on her face.

To a stranger, it would look as though she were contemplating ending her life.

KALYPSO SAVOY
If I knew you were a sellout. A thief. Use me up - I would have never let you near me.

Player WikiCharacter Wiki
New Caledonia
Distinguished
Gen
Moderator NC's Top Poster!

† ♥ SANG DE LA MER ♥ †
the power that you crave
◄taste, what a bittersweet►

POSTED: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:40 pm

Optime | Sword Coast (+412)

The Sword Coast was different in a few ways from Whisper Beach or any of the other shorelines that had run up against the Loch of Fundy. The body of water beyond the coast looked larger, or, at least, the distant shoreline was harder to see than Drifter Bay or Salsola had ever been. Supposedly, the far-off shoreline was the island that her great-grandfather had lived out his final days. It was a land she would likely never see unless the rumors were true that the strait froze over completely.

Her contemplation concluded, Teagan continued her lone walk of the pack’s boundary lines. Her husband and son were back in the City Square helping Alistair with work to their would-be home. The ex-Sole had been a face she had never thought she’d seen again, and, judging by his reaction to seeing her, the feeling was mutual. A carpenter, he had agreed to help the family with repairs. In order to give the old Callow some space though, Teagan found convenient reasons to be away when she could.

Her lonely patrol was one such getaway.

The ends of her cloak billowed as the salty wind from the sea played with it. Had her hair not been pulled up in its usual, high ponytail, it would have danced along with the flakes of snow that fell ever so softly. The sand was cold and compacted beneath her feet, and was covered with a small layer of snow that would be gone once the tide came back in.

A familiar scent suddenly reached her nose, and the Stryder spotted a figure standing on a rocking outcropping that jutted out over the white-waved sea. That short, auburn hair; it was none other than Kalypso. The woman stood awfully close to the edge, and her focus on the icy waters beyond made for a troubling assumption.

“You’re not calling it quits already, are you?” Teagan barked when she came close enough to be heard over the ocean spray. She stopped as she came to the edge of the slick rocks, canary eyes glaring at their surface as she analyzed how dangerous it would be if she had to take drastic actions. Teagan was not a sailor, not like her father or Tessa had been. Still, if the Savoy decided to jump, Teagan felt an obligation to at least try and stop her. “Surely this place is not that terrible.”

Teagan Stryder

New Caledonia
Privileged
Songbird

You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:10 pm

417 (655/1000)

Her ears twitched back sharply as the sound of a voice carried over the crescendo of waves crashing against rocks. She furrowed her brows and turned carefully on her experienced feet. Her back started to accumulate the damp of salt spray, but that was not why she was pulling the face of utter confusion.

What? she asked blandly, blinking at Teagan staring back at her from the edge of the slippery rocks. Then, it dawned on her like the sun on a frosty morning after a storm. It had looked like Kalypso was about to kill herself by jumping into the ocean at low tide. Well, that was both a compliment and an insult in her books.

Her expression was one of mixed confusion as she deftly crossed the dampened rocks with practiced ease. It was clear that Kalypso had practice navigating the slick surface from the way her feet managed to find the roughest parts of rock. The moment there was more dry rock than damp she paused. Her toes definitely felt the chill of the icy water at that point, divorced from the constant mist.

I'm sorry, but did you think I wanted to kill myself at low tide? Kalypso's lips shifted from incredulous to bemused. Dying at low tide would have been truly embarrassing. If she had not been killed by drowning, she would have likely died of shame from the thought. There are way better ways to off myself than that. Kalypso shook her head, the roughly cut hair bobbing about as she did so.

She began to hop down the shoreline, sticking to the large stones that riddled that particular shore. She did not seem particularly bothered if Teagan followed her or not. I just got a little lost looking at the water. It's so much.. God, I don't know.. murkier than the Caribbean. That's what's always bothered me about the sea out here, she prattled off, her eyes aimed downward to the trapped pools of water.

Then, without warning, she lunged forward, though it looked quite like she had taken a rough tumble in particularly treacherous edges of the stones. She came up a moment later, brushing muck off her knees and holding up a flailing green crab by both of its large claws. Kaly grinned broadly as she turned to show off her prize to Teagan. Ever had crab? she asked slyly, trying desperately to move on from the fact Teagan thought her suicidal.

KALYPSO SAVOY
If I knew you were a sellout. A thief. Use me up - I would have never let you near me.

New Caledonia
Distinguished
Gen

† ♥ SANG DE LA MER ♥ †
the power that you crave

POSTED: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:43 pm

(+462)

Her words seemed to break the ex-Courtier out of her reverie. Confusion was written clearly on her face for a second or two before she seemed to make sense of it all. Thankfully, Kalypso moved away from the rocks’ edge, traversing the slick surface with a grace and confidence that hinted that she had done it many times before. Teagan let out a soft huff, realizing she had likely been worried over nothing.

At her incredulous question, Teagan’s canary eyes glanced behind Kalypso towards the waters and then back to the woman. “Never know,” she replied with a shrug before smirking, “Though, I agree. It’d be a rather pathetic way to go.” To think, the last queen of the Court trying to drown herself in less than seven feet worth of sea water? Times would have certainly had to have been desperate for such measures.

Kalypso began to move down the shoreline then, and Teagan found herself following at a similarly casual pace. It wasn’t like she had anything better to do, and, if she was to become full acclimated to her new home, she needed to make acquaintances amongst her new packmates. Thankfully, Kalypso had an air to her that was likeable enough. It made socializing for the Stryder much easier and tolerable.

She glanced at the rolling tide before shifting her gaze back to the Savoy. “What were the waters like there?” Besides not being murky, obviously. Teagan had never traveled farther than Portland in all of her life, and, even then, her trips had been rather brief. A fighter rather than a trader too, her knowledge of the world beyond the northern region she had grown up in was rather limited. The only sea she knew was the cold one that bordered from the east; it was treacherous, and visibility quickly dropped off the further one went from the land.

The sudden movement from Kalypso made Teagan jerk instinctively, arms raise and hands poised to snatch her temporary companion from falling. She halted her actions though when she realized that the action had been intentional. Teagan paused, a brow raised at the Privileged Caledonian as she rose to her feet once more.

Held up between her hands was a crab.

Its legs moved in a way that might have been its way of an indignant protest. “I prefer fish,” she replied flatly as she watched the crustacean struggle against its captor. It was intriguing how fast and easily Kalypso had managed to snatch the thing up without getting pinched. “The amount of work for the amount of meat those things have isn’t worth the effort.”

The crab flexed its claws, pinching the air in its silent rage.

“Are crabs different in the Caribbean too?”

Teagan Stryder

New Caledonia
Privileged
Songbird

You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:15 pm

454 (1109/1000)

If Kalypso had wanted to kill herself, she certainly would never have done it by drowning. It was a horrible way to go and she had seen enough bloated corpses to know she would never let that happen to her by choice. She pushed that sharp guilt over Shiloh, knowing it was a knee-jerk thought of her cracking mind. Better to think of rats that had drowned than a person who was missed. Kalypso wanted to leave a beautiful corpse in the end, if she left one at all.

With her little prize in hand, the former Queen laughed. It had clearly startled Teagan, but who could blame her? Kaly had moments prior been considered a suicide risk and the next lunged into a tide pool like a lunatic. She supposed she could have drowned herself by keeping her head in it, but being pinched by crabs and other mollusks seemed somehow.. worse than the drowning part.

The Caribbean is very, very different from anything you've seen here, she said, her voice modulating melodically, as though she were telling a fairy tale. The islands are similar, yet different. Some have long, sandy beaches with shallow, blue water for long stretches. There are beaches where you can sit in waist-deep warm water and enjoy the sun. The fish might swim near your hands, little crabs too. Others are rockier, more like this, she said, gesturing around her to the rocks. Still, not the same. But warm. Always, always warm. And the sea always brought terror and death for the unprepared. The water can be blue-grey when it's stormy, blue-green, crystal clear, deep blue. She lowered the crab between her hands somewhat, still wary of its flailing legs.

But this place has better crabs and larger fish, usually. More oily, I think, the fish. But good. There's plenty of small ones in the south, but what's the point of colorful fish for eating if they're tiny? She shrugged, moving toward the shore and Teagan. And there's plenty of good meat on these north crabs. These guys are just the easiest to find. The real meaty ones you gotta trap more out at sea. She glanced toward the deeper water, knowing that it was truly far beyond her reach to even consider attempting it. It was far too dangerous.

Kalypso paused, staring down at the flailing crab, then up at Teagan. So, I take it you don't want to have a crab cookout or anything like that? It would require more crabs, but it could have been fun. Or was Teagan the sort that preferred her meat to walk the land and not swim the seas?

KALYPSO SAVOY

New Caledonia
Distinguished
Gen

† ♥ SANG DE LA MER ♥ †
the power that you crave

POSTED: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:55 pm

(+330)

She listened as Kalypso described the waters of the Caribbean. It was a little difficult to picture it when it was so different from anything Teagan had ever seen before. The only natural, warm waters she knew of had been the hot springs of the Steam Baths back in Casa di Cavalieri. They were small in comparison to a never-ending sea though. She had heard that the weather in the far south was hotter, hotter than any summer she could experience in the north. Perhaps, such things effected their waters too. The fish were flighty things up in their part of the world. And clear waters? Teagan had only ever known of small streams or creeks to possess such clarity to them.

“It almost sounds unbelievable,” Teagan commented. In truth, the only reason she allowed herself to believe the description at all was because of the sincerity in Kalypso’s retelling, spoken like someone recalling an old memory rather than someone describing a longing fantasy. That, and, of what few, similar tales she had been told during the random visits to her sister in Portland.

Teagan let out an amused scoff at the size comparison of the sea creatures. “I’d rather catch one ugly fish than twenty colorful small fry.” Meat was meat, what did it matter what it looked like? She wasn’t a fisherman though, so, she supposed she wasn’t the best to make such judgement calls.

The Stryder’s canary eyes followed Kalypso’s out to sea. Though she had never participated herself, she’d heard of off-shore fishing from Tessa. How the first Luperci had ever discovered such worthwhile sea food hiding beneath the turbulent waves was beyond Teagan though.

Her gaze shifted back to Kalypso at her question. Teagan offered a considering glance down at the unhappy crab. “I suppose we could.” It might help break the ice with a few of the other Caledonians if one happened to pass by.

Teagan Stryder

New Caledonia
Privileged
Songbird

You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:51 pm

It did sound unbelievable. Kalypso had lived in the frigid north long enough to have started questioning if she was even remembering the islands correctly or merely starting to glorify them in comparison. The north was cold, the winter far too long and cold, and the summers were brief, humid, and then gone again. What was the damn point? Sure, there was plenty of game in the fall, winter, and spring months, but fish were always available on the islands. And it was always warm. Always pretty. Always smelled nice. It was never-ending summer.

Honestly, a big deer is the easiest meal I've ever had. No tiny bones to pick through, the guts are easier to clean out. She waved the crab around, a little unkindly to the poor creature. Once a deer is dead, it's so easy. Kill a crab and you gotta break it open. But at least it's tasty when you get it. She eyed the crab, then Teagan. No, no eating that day. As much as she wanted it, she knew it was not going anywhere.

Maybe we'll have an opportunity later, some big communal thing. I'm sure I can win you over. She smiled broadly as she chucked the crab over her shoulder, not watching it sail past the nearest tide pools to crash in a further one. Kaly was sure glad that it could not make a noise or else it'd likely be clattering at her in anger.

She was hardly equipped to have an impromptu crab roast. She slipped off the rocks with deft ease and joined Teagan on the more solid ground. Even that was slightly damp from the faint mist that came from crashing waves. Perhaps you know something about a land animal that I don't. Not that it would be hard to accomplish.

KALYPSO SAVOY

New Caledonia
Distinguished
Gen

† ♥ SANG DE LA MER ♥ †
the power that you crave

POSTED: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:40 pm

(+225)

Thanks for the thread<333

“Isn’t that a fact,” Teagan agreed with a scoff. Land animals in general were easier to eat, and were tastier according to the Stryder at least. She didn’t have to cook a rabbit or deer if she didn’t want to. With most seafood, it was often easier to just throw the thing in a pot or skewer it over a fire to make removing the scales or shell easier. It only went to prove that the water-dwelling food choices were more work than they were worth for the meager amount of meat they offered.

Teagan idly watched as the unfortunate captive was tossed casually from over the ex-Reine’s shoulder. “I don’t know.” It landed in the water with a tiny plop that was easily drowned out by the roaring crash of the waves. “I’ve had a few crawfish broils in Casa di Cavalieri.” Her canary eyes flicked back to the smiling Kalypso. “Still think they’re more trouble than they’re worth the energy for.” She smirked challengingly at the Savoy.

They might get along yet.

She made room for Kalypso to join her on the solid shoreline, her smirk remaining on her lips in her amusement with their conversation. “Perhaps. Have you ever tried…” Teagan began to lead them away from the sea and further inland.

Teagan Stryder

New Caledonia
Privileged
Songbird

You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

Dead Topics