the vision is always for the appointed time

POSTED: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:26 am

Falconer co-rank challenge I
Introduce your bird to a fellow packmate so that your companion will recognize a familiar face.

300 words

After a blizzard, the earth trembling, and rising waters, Daisy was more cautious about where she traveled these days. She stayed close to New Caledonia, and indeed barely left the territory if at all. Some days she stayed in her home longer than intended. Sometimes she barely left.

The little kitten liked to explore, though, and Daisy tried to facilitate that. She had taken him out earlier in the day and gone on a romp around town, and having properly tired out the tomcat Daisy had sent him home and gone off to find something else to do.

Having first opted to fish, she changed her mind when she thought about needing to haul everything around. Then she thought about patrolling, but found herself less confident about facing an intruder on this particular day. Daisy, instead, picked a random direction and went off in it. She presumed to find adventure one way or another, and she would certainly know if it was not to be – home was not far behind her after all.

Daisy was thinking this would be sooner than later when she caught sight of another Luperci further ahead. Though there were plenty of faces within New Caledonia, it was not hard to remember who was who – especially when so many of her new compatriots had such notable backgrounds. She wondered if that was true for herself and her family. Probably less so, she supposed, now that Percy was rising among the Malcrin. His star was rising quickly.

What really interested her, though, was the small, sharp-beaked bird the former Warlord was holding.

Thinking she might be interrupting, but terribly curious, the wolfdog edged closer. When she thought they might have spotted her, she waved and wagged her tail – hoping her intentions would be obvious.

New Caledonia
Distinguished
Mel
Luperci Corsair II

POSTED: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:25 pm

Optime | Lebennin (River Valley) | NPCs: Kenyon & Treasach (+509)

Falcon co-rank.

Thanks for starting<333

With Naomi growing stronger with each passing day, the couple grew more and more confident that she would survive. The pack lacked a true Medico—there was Thyri, but, with the Dawnbringer being heavily pregnant herself, they hadn’t wanted to bother her or risk stressing the to-be mother out—like Casa di Cavalieri had had, so, they were forced to recall what they could of Genkei’s first few weeks and hope for the best for the rest. Her second litter and having no shame to hide from this time around, Teagan had been more willing to allow herself time apart from her newborn, leaving Mako or Genkei to temporarily take over the duties of keeping the little girl warm and occupied.

Still, she could never leave for long. It was why she’d taken one of her stallions out to the open lowlands of the River Valley. She’d stopped them on the top of a small hill that had a singular tree that marked it. The location provided a good vantage point of the flat, snow-covered plain around them. In the spring and summer months, Teagan was sure that the area would provide a wealth of game to be taken from it.

Even barren with snow as it was though, it still provided a good test for a young falcon’s skills. Hares with their white winter coats provided the best challenge for a sharp-eyed hunter.

Teagan held the younger of the family’s two falcons on her gloved hand, stroking his neck and head feathers with a single finger. She was dressed in her husband’s leather jerkin once again, and had her sword attached to her belt despite lacking the rest of her usual ensemble of armor. With a thick coat meant for such cooler weather, she didn’t require much else, particularly with the sun out and shining.

“You only need one for today,” she told the young falcon. Had she more time to allow the plains to reset themselves of their scattered prey, she might have requested more from the bird. If he could catch just one rabbit though, she would be satisfied.

Behind them, Kenyon rumbled, causing Teagan to turn her gaze to where the big stallion was looking at. It was a young, doggish woman with dusty-grey fur. Her wiry-furred snout reminded Teagan of Krokar’s old Captains. “Hello,” she greeted neutrally. She recognized the look in the yearling’s bi-hued gaze, and her own canary eyes flicked between the monochrome Caledonian and Treasach on her hand. Looking back at the packmate, Teagan gestured the younger female to come closer with a jerk of her snout. “Have you seen a falcon up close before?”

“Greetings, Caledonian,” Treasach chirped with a bob of his head. He shifted his footing on the falconer’s glove, turning his head slightly to get a better look at the familiar-but-unfamiliar young woman who had joined them.

“I’m Teagan Stryder, by the way. And this is Treasach.”

Teagan Stryder

New Caledonia
Aear
Songbird
City Watch II, Falconer I
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:53 pm

210 words

Hello, Daisy returned, wagging her tail with greater ferocity. She was glad for Teagan's invitation, and obviously delighted when the falcon spoke to her. Luckily, she remembered her manners and greeted the bird as well: Hello to you!

She was much shorter than the tawny wolf, and had to look up to her face. Daisy could almost imagine the strength and confidence radiating off the older, worldly woman. Everyone here was so cool she could hardly stand it!

Daisy Parhelion, she returned pleasantly. But a lotta people call me Z. It's nice ta meet both'ya! And yeah – I mean, not exactly, like this, but kinda. Me ma, she worked with a eagle. My sister, Cora, she's workin' with him now. Real big fella, ya can't miss him. Anyhow! She laughed a little, aware she had been babbling. Her attempts to be outgoing and friendly sometimes made her nervous, but like Willow had said, what did she have to worry about?

What'chya up to? Anythin' I could help with? If you want help, that is, she added, thinking it might be polite to give Teagan the option to deny her. Just because she had offered Daisy a look at her falcon didn't mean she was interested in more long-term company.

New Caledonia
Distinguished
Mel
Luperci Corsair II

POSTED: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:07 pm

NPCs: Kenyon & Treasach (+570)

The scruffy young woman seemed delighted by their acknowledgement. Treasach even puffed up his chest to the friendly return to his greeting. Of the two falcons owned by the family, he had always been the one that was more needy for attention. He stared openly at the other, as there had been none in Casa di Cavalieri that looked quite like her. Many had been wolfish in ancestry and blood, had been smooth in the face and with straight coats. This one’s coat was thick, wavy, and her undertones were littered with curious, faint flecks of darker grey. It was her face that made all the difference though. Her snout was…furry, bearded, much like the High King.

It was a curious thing, how obviously doggish some of the Caledonians were. It was a blessing, Teagan supposed. Their distinct traits would make identifying them at a glance easier, faster. As well, they would be easily rememberable for the falcon.

Teagan’s brows furrowed a fraction as the young woman gave her name before quickly diving off into a ramble. The name sounded…familiar. It was as the monochrome Caledonian’s babbling came to an end that the surname finally clicked. “Parhelion?” Teagan asked, seizing the moment of pause by Daisy. “You wouldn’t be related to Krokar’s old Quartermaster, Milos, would you?” Teagan had heard that few members of Krokar—ones that managed to survive the fires and destruction of their home to make up the Shoal—had found refuge in and amongst New Caledonia. Of those she had seen amongst the pack though, none had been familiar to the ones she’d known when she had been the pack’s ambassador.

Patiently and politely, Treasach waited for the two Luperci to finish before he spoke up. Their new companion’s mention of a large bird had peaked the falcon’s interest. “Eagle?” He asked before prodding forward for clarification, “Have white head?” A bald eagle, he meant. Casa di Cavalieri had never had an eagle amongst their flock of raptors or livestock birds, and the only wild ones the young falcon had ever seen had been the white-and-brown raptors that had often patrolled the coastline.

Treasach shifted his feet then as another thought came to him. Cocking his head ever so slightly, he chirped, “Friendly? Or stay away?” It was a relevant question, Teagan agreed. The wild eagles of the Loch’s coastline were not above hunting or attacking other birds, after all. Though the falcons were able to outmaneuver the larger bald eagles, knowing whether the falcon could trust a larger bird in the territory would certainly decide how he reacted to a particular one later on.

The conversation shifted quickly with the Parhelion inquiring about what it was that they were doing. “Treasach is working on his hunting skills,” Teagan explained, turning her canary eyes out towards the blanketed field of white. “The hares are white during this time of year, making them harder to spot out in a field like this one. If he can spot a winter hare even with its good camouflage, the chances of him spotting a Luperci trying to be sneaky will be child’s play.”

Teagan looked back to Daisy. “If you’re up to it, perhaps the test could be a team effort? It’ll be good for Treasach to watch his Luperci companion for cues.”

Teagan Stryder

New Caledonia
Aear
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:21 pm

236 words

Daisy let out a bark of laughter and smiled. Oh yah, he's me da'! Y'might 'ave met the rest of my family around 'ere too, most of us are livin' here in New Caledonia. She did not think to tally off her many siblings. The resemblance was obvious in their wiry pelts and shaggy beards. Daisy's was not quite as long as her brother's or as stylish as Willow's, but she thought it telling.

The bird – Treasach, a long name Daisy would try to remember – asked about the eagle. Daisy considered his question and made a face. She sucked on her teeth and smiled apologetically.

I honestly dunno what'd he think of ya, but I'll tell Cora t'tell him, she offered. This would mean explaining the whole situation to Cora as well, but Daisy thought that would be easy enough. Given that this was the only other bird of prey she had thus far been introduced to, Daisy was hopeful they would be able to get themselves sorted out.

Stepping back to look at where Teagan and her companion were hunting, Daisy at once saw that the hunting would be tricky. A sharp-eyed falcon would have better luck than either Luperci.

Yeah, a'course! You want me to try an' spook stuff? I could shift if y'don't mind waitin' – y'know, get my nose to the ground an' all that, she offered, wagging her tail.

New Caledonia
Distinguished
Mel
Luperci Corsair II

POSTED: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:55 pm

NPCs: Kenyon & Treasach (+344)

Sorry if this post is terrible Dx My muse for this month has fluttered off and I have yet to find it @___@

Daisy confirmed her relationship to the previous Quartermaster, and, though she mentioned more of her family to be residing within the new pack, Teagan couldn’t place having seen the familiar black-and-white pelt of Milos amongst the rest of the community. At the very least, Daisy’s words were reassuring that he still amongst the living, though, where remained unmentioned. It was something that could be brought up in later conversation though.

Daisy's unsureness about the larger bird might have been more worrisome to the falcon had Daisy not offered to talk to the eagle’s Luperci handler. Treasach bobbed his head and shuffled his feet on the falconer’s glove. “Yes. Tell not hunt bird look like me,” he chirped animatedly, standing a little taller and spreading his wings a bit in emphasis of what he looked like. “Two, us. Sister, Agrona. No kill, no hunt. Won’t pester, harass, if promise not hurt.” So long as the eagle minded his own business, so would the two falcons.

The Parhelion was quick to agree to Teagan’s suggestion, and her offer to shift down was met with a nod of approval from the Stryder. “If you feel comfortable doing so,” Teagan answered neutrally, leaving the decision up to Daisy. Some Luperci were particular about shifting, especially with an audience. Being closer to the ground would certainly help the doggish woman though with chasing the camouflaged rabbits out from their hiding.

“If see first, will circle. You chase out open, stop, no chase further. Leave kill to me,” the falcon chattered, letting his would-be partner for the lesson know how he usually worked with his Luperci handlers. Canine jaws could do horrendous damage onto a bird, and Treasach wanted to ensure he wouldn’t accidentally put himself into danger if Daisy did more than just spook the prey.

Teagan’s canary eyes flicked to her young falcon. “And, you, be sure you don’t scratch our comrade by mistake either.” She didn’t want Daisy to suffer any unnecessary injuries either.

Teagan Stryder

New Caledonia
Aear
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:46 pm

We can probably wrap up with your post if you want!

422 words

How delightful it was to be talking to a falcon. Daisy, observing the canine rules of respect, looked at all the parts of the bird which were not its eyes. She had never considered those small feathers around the bird's yellow beak, or how the scales on its talons looked. Sure, she had been around birds before – but the eagle was never really something she felt drawn too. Cora was suited for the bird, especially with her exploration out in the wilderness.

I'll tell her, don't you worry, Treasach! Daisy quickly confirmed, wagging her tail. She waved her hand to dismiss any thought of discomfort about shifting. Besides, Teagan seemed polite enough not to stare – and Daisy closed her eyes as she set about the task anyway, focusing on driving her body through the change.

As her muscles strained, secret currents inside of her body set about forcing her bones to shrink and turn. Slowly, her greater form collapsed into itself – a process which left her exposed and in strange shapes as she abandoned two legs for four.

When Daisy was finally in her native form, she gave herself a great shake and flexed each and every one of her toes.

Alright! She barked. I'm ready! Y'don't need t'be concerned 'bout nothin', I'll stop once I get it out there for ya. Those bunnies won't know what's comin' fer 'em, she woofed, pleased with the arraignment.

Daisy headed towards where Teagan indicated they intended to hunt and set to work. She was good at tracking though, truthfully, inexperienced when it came to proper hunting. Her unique and terrible childhood had stunted much of her learning, restricted as it had become to things like obedience, silence, and survival. Finding food was a part of this. Relying upon others another.

The wolfdog nosed her way through the snowy underbrush, sucking in the cold air and judging where the most likely source of prey was. She did not know what was involved between Teagan and the falcon now, and focused instead on her own duty.

She almost missed the rabbit. When she spotted it, all balled up under the bush, Daisy stiffened.

A breath, another, and then it happened – she charged towards the rabbit in a flurry of motion and gray fur. They scampered into the open field where the chase took on a new element. Not willing to risk getting in the way, Daisy pulled back and barked furiously to spook the brown-gray creature as it fled towards presumable doom.

New Caledonia
Distinguished
Mel
Luperci Corsair II

New Caledonia