Life and death weighed in the shining scales

POSTED: Fri May 01, 2020 9:07 pm

Good haul," Toklo signed lazily, his gesture encompassing the pile of smallmouth bass and various trout as he grinned.

The piscator quirked a smile at him then replied, pointing with a sharp stone knife. "Stop complimenting and start helping." Her expression was severe, but it transformed when her friend chuckled, and she lolled her tongue in giggles too. She wagged her tail as Toklo sat down beside her, reaching for a second knife (which suggested Willow had been wanting a companion) and getting to work.

They talked as they worked, their silent language hampered by hands full with fish and blade – but most communication is in ears and tail, eyes and mouth. The quiet was broken with occasional spoken word and unabashedly loud laughter, barking over the warble of birdsong and slow babble of the river.

"What should I call you now?" Toklo asked with a sly smile, sliding the knife into the vent of the fish and slicing up to the bottom of its mouth. At once a foul smell hit them, and his nostrils wrinkled.

"Too deep," Willow chastised.

Glancing at the mess of bloodied intestines, Toklo grimaced and placed the ruined fish aside. "We can feed it to that bird," he said, hand fluttering then hooking to suggest wings and talons.

Lady.

"What?"

Willow repeated it again. Lady Cormier. She smirked, plucking the entrails from her trout. "What you should call me now," she clarified, blood flicking from her fingers with each word, and laughed.

Toklo whimpered and framed his face delicately, batting his eyelids, to suggest that Willow was very fancy now. Then he laughed when she flicked blood at him, his pink tongue lapping the mess from his snout. He cut into his next fish more delicately, but waved the stone knife around when he continued. "When did you find out?"

"Athras told me this morning."

"How is he?" The male's tongue poked between his fangs. Athraaaaas, he said, in a quiet howl.

Willow narrowed her eyes, unimpressed, then chopped off the trout's head – which got Toklo laughing again, holding his sides as he abandoned the work. Oh I'll tell ya all about how he is, she threatened, and Toklo whimpered and wiped tears from his eyes and pleaded with her to spare him the nasty details, all but rolling in the grass.

Scoffing, the Aear tossed the trout head among the rest of the refuse: scales, entrails, fins. None would be wasted, of course, whether fed to raptors (or less picky Luperci), chummed, or returned to nature.

Piscator III Prompt - Fish don't come out of the water prepared! Work on your catch by gutting the fish and/or doing something to preserve them.

I took the time to breathe
among the rootbuds and the weeds
but the peat moss and the leaves took turns with both my feet
New Caledonia
Aear
Raze
Luperci Piscator II, Priest II, Heartward I druid the wilds where the caribou call
feather, fur, & fin

POSTED: Sun May 03, 2020 1:40 pm

High Lady. It was a title that Fennore was certain she could get used to very quickly.

As soon as the word came to her, she lit up with a pleased, proud smile; one could even say she seemed happy, and perhaps she was. It was certainly a sign that the wolfess was well on her way to rising the ranks; the King saw her potential and knew he would be foolish not to reward her steady progress.

Wither Rose, on the other hand, scoffed when the news broke, and the coymutt gave her housemate a cheeky grin. <"Yeah, cool, just make sure you don't get a big head, High Lady,"> she taunted, her white-gloved hands working to restring her bow. Fennore bristled at this dismissal, her beam quickly turning into a scowl -- but, she reminded herself, the opinion of one lowly peasant had little bearing on, well, anything at all.

A walk would do her well. The house was especially stifling as of late with the addition of the girl.

Macha, naturally, nipped at her heels as the Moonwraith strode through the Square, the red cloak draped across slender shoulders and a surprisingly low-key, half-updo braid keeping her hair from her face. As the pair passed different houses, the cat took to speaking their owners' names aloud one by one, demonstrating with pride how awfully proficient she was at remembering the Caledonians. <"Is Tora, 'n Inara, 'n -- 'n Arran!">

She smiled thinly, though her eyes remained staunchly ahead. "Yes, yes, I know you are quite fond of Arran," she responded, and Macha mewled with excitement at the mere mention.

Soon they had wandered from the city's heart, skirting outside of the town when a peculiar scent caught her nose. Where she would have just ignored it, the cat gasped in shock, eyes wide. <"I think -- is Willa?"> She blinked at her owner. <"Go see?">

Fennore sighed inwardly, changing directions for the kitten's sake. "We can," she relented, and before too long, they happened upon the pair in the middle of their... business. It was not a pleasant smell from afar, but at this proximity, it was worse tenfold.

Macha, however, seemed unfazed. <"Willa, Tokla!"> she yipped, moving to greet them in her typical affectionate way. Fennore, meanwhile, graced them both with a polite smile and nod.

thanks for starting! <3 [+300]
New Caledonia
High Lady of Dawn
veldt
'Souls Soldier of Love Luperci Diplomat III, Magister II, Stylist I
• moonwraith •
twilight princess

POSTED: Mon May 11, 2020 10:43 pm

[279 words]
A mewling yip interrupted their work, and Willow glanced up with a bright smile, inviting the grey cat over with a gesture of her muzzle. Toklo emmitted a somewhat-loud “boof” of excitement, ears pricked and almond eyes fixed to the smaller furry creature, but he quickly lolled his tongue and dipped his ears, lower whimpers assuring the cat that he was safe. He even extended a hand for Macha to rub her cheeks and forehead against, if she wished.

“Hey Macha,” the Cormier woman said, and lifted her gaze to Fennore. Compared to her outgoing feline charge, the red-haired wolf was aloof and proper— though Willow had never mistaken this for coldness. She flashed the other woman the same bright grin that she offered everyone.

“Y’ want some o’ this?” she asked Macha, gesturing to the pile of tasty fishheads. “Don’t worry, we’ll let ya have some o’ the fillets when we’re done, too.” She resumed her work with her knife as she talked, slicing through to remove the flank meat of the trout, then removing the ribcage. “We’ll have plenty. En’t t’ everyone’s taste,” she said, half talking to Fennore now. “But fish is easy enough t’ put in brine an’ let it keep for a while. Had a lot o’ rivers where I grew up, so there were plenty o' fish,” she explained— the type of person to carry on both sides of a conversation when her partner was more reticent.

Toklo was being quiet, chopping through his fish to make steaks rather than working on more intricate cuts, but his eyes watched the pretty wolf with shy interest.
I took the time to breathe
among the rootbuds and the weeds
but the peat moss and the leaves took turns with both my feet
New Caledonia
Aear
Raze
Luperci Piscator II, Priest II, Heartward I druid the wilds where the caribou call
feather, fur, & fin

POSTED: Thu May 21, 2020 11:43 am

Of course the cat wouldn't shy away from any form of affection, even from those she was less acquainted with. Macha easily melted into Toklo's touch, pressing her face right into his open palm with an infectious purr.

Though Macha seemed leagues more excited about this meeting than her luperci companion, that didn't stop Willow from extending the same pleasantries to her. The Lady certainly didn't want to interrupt their... work, but the feline was absolutely enthralled by the prospect of fetching a meal for herself in addition to pets and scratches. <"Fish, yes! We like! Mmhmm?"> Green eyes glanced up to the wolfess for approval, and Fennore chuckled lightly.

"We do," she agreed, looking back to the other woman, "But neither of us are the best at fishing, I'm afraid." They certainly paled in comparison to Willow, if nothing else; Macha even more so, given she tended to playfully paw at the water rather than actually try to catch anything. She hummed thoughtfully, "It seems to have more of a learning curve than hunting, though I suppose I haven't enough experience to know for sure."

She blinked, curious. "Brine?" It was a word she wasn't entirely familiar with; perhaps it had been in a book somewhere, but there were plenty of phrases she never knew the meanings of. "Is that a sort of preservation method, then?"

Gods, just imagining the smell of fish being stored away for later consumption -- it seemed quite the pungent concoction.

[+200]
New Caledonia
High Lady of Dawn
veldt
'Souls Soldier of Love Luperci Diplomat III, Magister II, Stylist I
• moonwraith •
twilight princess

New Caledonia