omens above thought

POSTED: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:50 pm

Crimson letters scrawled across the stone face of the hovel, bold but shaky letters whose syllables Willow mouthed with the tedious effort of one fallen out of practice with reading: You're next.

She shut her jaw with a click and swiveled her ears back, almost nervous about speaking this ill omen into existence. She didn't think anyone lived in this building, but if they did, was this a sign that they would be stolen away like Vodeva presumably was? The writer's scent was too faint to make out detail, or perhaps it had been masked – because it had to be someone flesh-and-blood writing the message, right?

Perhaps less blood, now.

The Cormier woman swallowed and glanced down, trying to see if she could follow the drips of blood along the cracked asphalt. They lessened in frequency with each pace, until the trail altogether ceased to be. It seemed that no clues would be found, though Willow couldn't imagine this specter would remain hidden forever. They had city watchmen who could find the culprit and end their –

Their what? Was it a prank? A warning, earnest or threatening? Or were these the ravings of someone mad and frightened?

She wandered, until her foot slipped in something newly-cooled, and her lake blue eyes lowered to find more words shakily rubbed across the pavement. Her hand jumped to the spiral cone shell at her collarbone, and her head tilted.

WATER RUNS DEEP

The Mists prompt – Someone has also taken it upon themselves to write messages in a scrawling creepy hand throughout The City Square in blood.

[WC: 246]

Image
I took the time to breathe
among the rootbuds and the weeds
but the peat moss and the leaves took turns with both my feet

User avatar
Raze
Luperci druid the wilds where the caribou call
feather, fur, & fin

POSTED: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:34 am

Word Count → +300 :: OOC Here

Nkechi and Sigríður had been doing their best to make themselves not feel like strangers, especially with what seemed to be going on now. Not but a short time since their coming here, and already there were strange omens among them. Even questioned if there was ever such a thing in the desert or the frozen lands to the north, both of them could agree they had never seen anything like this.

What was more worrisome was how any of this was even happening. If it was getting so close to where all of those in New Caledonia were living, then that would mean it would have to be someone on the inside that was causing all of this to happen.. but then how had the one doing this not been caught yet.

Too many things didn't seem to be adding up.

The jackal and hound had made their way back to the square, finding that a walk helped ease some of the tension. It didn't help that it took them a bit longer to find their way back since much of the territory was still new to them. She missed the desert, knowing the paths along the sand that took her through her tribe, to get to Cairo, and even to other tribes in Bedaya.

Sigríður spotted her first, the dark female with a spotted muzzle and neck. She was standing in the square, looking down at something. Padding over, she called out, "'ey! What are you looking at?" Before she even seemed to get an answer, green eyes caught the bloody message, "What the hell?"

"What is it?"

The jackal's ears pulled back as the message was clear to all three of them. Its meaning was cryptic. They gave a glance at one another before turning to the darker female. Maybe she knew more than they did.

NKechi Ndaiye

New Caledonia
Distinguished (NPC)
User avatar
Salena
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:41 am

A voice called out to her, and Willow jumped before she swung around to look at the two females that approached – both tending toward red tones, one doggish and the other, to Willow's inexpert eyes, perhaps a small and boldly-striped coyote. They were unfamiliar to her, but their bearing and their pack scent suggested that they were new members rather than trespassers or mere guests. They stumbled across her asking questions she didn't know how to answer.

En't... en't sure, Willow confessed. Seen other messages like it, but en't got a clue what they mean. She glanced back down at the scrawled letters, musing back over her various wild theories, knowing they meant nothing without further evidence. She wanted desperately to talk them over with someone.

But not with strangers. A small, apologetic smile grazed her lips as her lake-blue eyes lifted to the newcomers'. Heck of a time t' join, huh? I'm Will'a Cormier. She offered her hand to shake, her bushy tail waving low against the backs of her thighs. Her other hand continued to fiddle with the cone shell, as if her friend's gift was a talisman that might protect them from these omens.

[WC: 206]

Image
I took the time to breathe
among the rootbuds and the weeds
but the peat moss and the leaves took turns with both my feet

User avatar
Raze
Luperci druid the wilds where the caribou call
feather, fur, & fin

POSTED: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:14 pm

Word Count → +300 :: OOC Here

Both females couldn't help but jump a bit when the darker one had swung around at the pace she had. Neither one of them was expecting her to get spooked, but considering what was going on around this place as of late, guess it wasn't completely impossible that there were many put more on edge than they would usually be. The blood red note sure wasn't helping their case any in that regard.

Once all of them were in a much more calm state of being, the darker one's gaze had moved back over the message. She admitted she wasn't sure what it was or even what it might have meant, only that she had seen others around like it. Nkechi studied the one before them again, "What have the other ones said?"

Sigríður had interjected, having wanted to put her own opinion out for them, "There has to be someone writing this. It's not like they're just being written here out of thin air. It's not possible." That was a skeptical and logical mind at work. Those like her with not much of a culture background would not think to factor in something from above.

It couldn't have been some kind of ill omen from the jackal's home, not unless it had been following her long before now. Too much was unknown.

Both female's eyes shifted to the hand that was offered out to them. The jackal had been the first to take it, lowering her head in respect, "A pleasure. I am Nkechi Ndaiye. This here is my friend."

"Sigríður Huxley. And I can introduce myself you know." The hound gave a small pout along with a huff, but it quickly faded to be replaced with a small smile.

NKechi Ndaiye

New Caledonia
Distinguished (NPC)
User avatar
Salena
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:34 pm

Saw one that said you're next, Willow said, gesturing with her muzzle in the direction of the stone hovel where she'd seen the first message. Y'heard of the queen gone missin'? Could be somethin' t' do with that.

The doggish stranger mentioned that the messages had to be written by someone, and Willow nodded. En't under the impression a spirit has done this, she said patiently. She believed in spirits and souls, but benign ones that lived in the breath of beasts and stones and rivers and birches. But can't think of why someone would write this – unless t' spook us, or maybe if they believe in all this themselves. Someone pious. Deep waters made her think of Nín, though Willow did not believe the goddess malevolent, no more than she might think that the vengeful Nanin was.

Did someone think they were appeasing the gods or protecting their friends by scrawling messages of warning on the homes? Or was this a cruel trick?

She kept her thoughts to herself, because they involved concepts that two newcomers wouldn't understand; neither seemed to be of Caledonian blood. Instead, she smiled and shook Nkechi's hand, then nodded at Sigríður – both very foreign names to the Cormier. Her blue eyes squinted in mirth as Sigríður insisted she could introduce herself, reminded of Toklo.

Where'd ya come from? What brought ya here? Willow asked, but her posture was relaxed and her tail waving. She didn't want her curious, polite questions to sound like an interrogation.

Image
I took the time to breathe
among the rootbuds and the weeds
but the peat moss and the leaves took turns with both my feet

User avatar
Raze
Luperci druid the wilds where the caribou call
feather, fur, & fin

Dead Topics