[M]Helping himself to a free meal

[p]Nuki

POSTED: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:23 am

WARNING: This thread contains material exceeding the general board rating of PG-13. It may contain very strong language, drug usage, graphic violence, or graphic sexual content. Reader discretion is advised.

The wind bit into Inca while he crept through the forest, blue eyes looking for the source of the smoky scent that he'd been trying to find. It wasn't just the smell of a fire that had drawn him, but the smell of cooking meat, a campsite the hybrid guessed, ripe for the picking if thing panned out as they had in Inca's head.

Inca could have spent his time hunting to quiet his hunger, but the chance at free food for little effort was far too enticing for the man. It was getting late too, late enough that the warmth of the sun was nearly gone, one of the best times to hunt already fading away. He'd survive another day if he had to go to sleep hungry, if he'd found it too risky upon finding the source of those scents, but luck instead brought him to a seemingly empty campsite.

There was a cursory look around, from the safety of his hiding place within a few strides of the fire, but Inca didn't delay for long, didn't risk the opportunity in front of him. He'd learned from past mistakes at least, the hybrid's steps as quiet as he could make them, the well worn deer hide cloak making precious little noise as it shifted now and then against Inca's tan fur. Inca knelt at the fire, and tried to liberate the spitted meat, a rabbit he guessed, but wasn't sure.

The soft crackle of the fire was joined by Inca chewing at the meat, tearing off bits in the process, but also split his attention on surveying the campsite, blue eyes seeking out anything that looked as though it might be valuable. He considered himself lucky, but guessed that the owner of both food, and camp would return soon. An item, maybe two, side from the meat was all he planned to snatch before fleeing, but first he had to choose what to take, which took precious time.
Last edited by Inca on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loners
Hybrid
Vale
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:37 pm

Optime ⚓ NPCs: Shale Smythe ⚓ (273)

OOC

A metallic hiss split the air like an aluminum snake had slithered up behind the interloper. Well, what 'ave we here? said a hard but feminine voice as something poked into the fur on the back of the youngster's neck. Though the voice came from behind, a rather trashy woman stepped out of the shadows in front of him, the fire light glinting off of her russet fur and leather clothing. She bent over to peer at the kid's face, her ornamented dreadlocks clicking together as they slid over her shoulders to frame her face.

“Looks like ye caught a snake, boss,” this one's voice was gravelly, and her gray-green eyes took on a sickly hue in the orange light. She unsheathed a dagger from her belt and poked it towards his chin, though she was not actually close enough to prod him. “Good timin', I really needed a new cloak,” something in the way she looked at him gave the impression that she wasn't just planning to steal his. “But I'll 'ave ta turn it inside out, don't much like the color o' 'is fur.”

Now Shale, came the first voice from behind him again. No need to be so inhospitable, she said. I be certain there be a good explanation for this intrusion. The tip of the sword no longer touched him, but was so close he could likely feel its presence as the fairer woman circled 'round the young man to stand next to her friend. Mismatched blue and green eyes peered at him piercingly as she cocked her head, sword tip still pointed at his chest. Well, is there?

⚓ Nukiira ⚓
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:20 pm

Despite guessing that someone would be back soon, hybrid found it far too easy to become lost in his greed, so occupied with deciding on what to steal, that he failed to notice he was no longer alone. A metallic noise drew the male's attention first, his ears going alert, but not in time to avoid the unpleasant sensation of something being pressed against his back, realization settling in quick enough after that.

A sense of dread replaced his earlier glee, the woman's hard voice doing little to dispel the belief that he was in a great deal of trouble. For a moment or two, he entertained the idea that he could maybe somehow fight the woman off, at least enough to slink away somewhere, but then a second woman appeared in front of him. Inca was reckless, but he knew hopeless when he saw it, a knife in his chest even if he somehow avoided the weapon pressed against his back.

His ears pinned again his head, not out of some willing effort to look less aggressive, but a genuine fear that built within him at the unnerving way the second woman talked of needing a new cloak. Inca's mouth went agape when he made the connection that she was thinking of making him into a cloak, that she would kill him. He'd been afraid for his life before, but she was the first to be so blunt about thinking about taking his life.

A glimmer of hope appeared in the form of the first voice speaking again, and eventually walking in front of him to put a face to her. Throughout the ordeal, the man barely moved, worried that even standing from his crouch would give an excuse to use the weapons brandished at him. ”I... I was hungry. I'm sorry, I'll find something to replace it, you can have my things until I come back?” Inca rattled off in a hurried voice, his voice still steady considering, but his eyes darted from the pair to either side as though looking for some direction to go, a way out of the mess he'd gotten himself into.
Loners
Hybrid
Vale
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:47 pm

Optime ⚓ NPCs: Shale Smythe ⚓ (295)

OOC

The boy had surely stepped in it this time. Not only was he outnumbered in body, but he was also outnumbered in life experience and possibly in wit, too, even though Kythera made up most of the brains of their operation while Shale normally sat around drinking herself to death.

Shale sauntered around the crackling fire to crouch down next to the kid. She leaned in close, dropping all pretense of personal space, and sniffed at him. Reaching out a rust colored hand she reached for the stolen food in his hand, but was not violent or forceful about it, just nonchalant. If he released the meat she would take a bite, if not she would give up the attempt for they had a better game afoot.

What things? Kythera questioned, glancing around. Your cloak, perhaps? Wouldn't let a lady go cold now, would ye? The Captain held out a gloved hand, awaiting her gift.

“What be yer name, boy?” Shale asked in a note not unlike a serpent's, tracing a finger along his jaw. “Mebbe if my cap'n likes it she let ye live.”

Aye, that and replace the food, twice as much as ye stole, she held up two fingers for emphasis. And find us somethin' to warsh it down wit', as well. Shale can tend ye, make sure ye be a man o' 'is word and not a yellow bellied coward fixin' to run off and not make good on 'is promises.

Shale didn't seem to like that much, shooting Kyt a glance for a moment. Yet still, even though their ship Poseidon's Queen had been lost to them for weeks, Shale still accepted Kythera as her leader and would do as she said – if a bit grumbling and begrudgingly.

⚓ Nukiira ⚓
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:25 am

It was an uncomfortable position that he'd found himself in, the pair free to circle him, to crouch right next to him without the option to dissuade them. Silently he scolded himself for not having left sooner, maybe left everything but the food, maybe even slipping away with nothing would have been better than where he was right then.

Inca remained still as Shale ended up next to him, only daring to give a sideways look at her, rather than a direct gaze. When she went for the food, there was no effort to keep it from her, only the realization that aside from what he'd managed to eat, there wouldn't be any gain, only loss for him.

That loss started with his cloak, a roughly made thing, really just a large deer pelt that he used as a cloak. Inca's hands went for where it was tied in front of his neck, loosening it, and then slipping it off, a reluctant pause hanging in the air before he handed it over to the woman's outstretched hand. It was hard not to reach for the bone knife strapped to his thigh, but he worried how they might react to that, especially the one whose finger traced under his jaw. A brisk gust of wind reminding the male that only his fur kept winter's chill at bay from then on.

”Inca...” he answered back, after a short pause, the result of her words sinking in. He'd hoped to slip away, even if it meant leaving with nothing, rather than the threat of having to stay with them long enough to pay off his debt. The thought of running at the soonest opportunity remained appealing, but was kept in check by the fear that they might actually turn him into a pelt if he tried, and failed.

”You... you want me to get you water?” Inca tried to clarify, dancing around the more daunting task of replacing double what he'd taken, when he'd failed to get enough to feed himself. ”How long do I have, to catch two rabbits, a while right?” he added, a nervous tone creeping into his voice as he brushed against the fear that they might expect payment in a short amount of time.
Loners
Hybrid
Vale
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:57 pm

Optime ⚓ NPCs: Shale Smythe ⚓ (300+)

OOC

Good boy, Kythera said as she accepted the cloak and draped it over one arm so she did not lose her readiness with her sword.

“An' it quite nice ta meet ye, Inca,” said the one at his side. “Me be Shale Smythe, and that there is Cap'n Kythera Darque. We just be campin' 'ere for the night, didn't expec' no intruders. Don't mind that we 'ave ta be so rude, it's prince-ables and all. Otherwise, we be doin' something quite dif'rent by now.” Her tone became more lecherous as she went on.

Kythera rolled her mismatched eyes and returned to his question. One hour. Ye have one hour to catch double the meat ye taked. I'll even be nice and say ye don't have to get the same kind o' meat. I'll accept... oh.. a deer in exchange? Just as long as it's twice this sorry two-pound rabbit ye stole. She laughed when he asked if it was water that she meant. Boy, as a captain o' a ship I had more water in me first year than I ever need in my whole life. No, we ain't be meanin' water. Get some wits about ye and go get our dinner. Ye've already lost a minute just flappin' yer jaw. She made a dismissive wave, and Shale stood up beside him ready to follow him into the woods while Kythera dropped her guard and knelt down by the fire, soon making herself comfortable.

Shae's eyes never left Inca's, looking as though she could swallow him whole in more ways than one. “A'ight,” she grunted. “I be wit' ye. Let's make it quick so we can turn this business into pleasure. Get us a big 'nuff catch an' Cap'll ferget ye ever crossed we, then we can be friends.” She poked at his collar with a bony finger in a way that might have been sexy had she not been swaying like a drunk, and stabbed her claw into his bone instead of teased his muscle.

⚓ Nukiira ⚓
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:33 am

The tone that Kythera took with him was frustrating, the hybrid sensitive to the suggestion that he was still a pup, the way she'd said the phrase only adding to the insult. Her sword still readied against him was enough to make sure that Inca bit his tongue though, rather than try to contest whether he was a boy or not.

More concerning to Inca, was the way that the second woman looked at him, her lecherous voice hint enough for him to guess her thoughts. Aside from the drunken encounter that he'd only vaguely remembered, Inca had gotten very used to being the one doing the chasing. There was something unnerving about having those roles switched, but still preferable to dying for a rabbit of all things.

His heart sank at the time limit that Kythera set, a mere hour to find twice as much meat as he'd taken, and that she wouldn't settle for just water. Inca's jaw went slack, the hybrid blinking a time or two, before her dismissive wave brought him back to the reality that his time was already drifting away. Shale's painful jab at him was a reminder that he wouldn't be alone, and chased away any thoughts that he could just run. Inca didn't offer any words before he'd started to hurry away from the camp, to frantically look for food and drink to satisfy the pair.

Inca was an average hunter at best, and was even worse with the dangerous looking woman keeping a close eye on him. The short amount of time he'd been allotted flying by far faster than seemed fair to the male. Each trail that he'd crossed was always a cold one, the single rabbit den an abandoned one. As time started to run out, it was harder to focus on trying to find what he was looking for, and easier to dread what the pair might do to him upon being led back by Shale. It was only a chance find that kept him from risking just making a run for it.

Near the end of the hour was when he found one last path, cut by a horse, or perhaps a mule, he never found out which for sure. He had followed it in the distant hope that it might lead to someone willing to help him, but whoever had made the trail had done so in the distant past. The only memento of the stranger's passage, a partly rotted leather bag that had fallen to the wayside, an opaque ceramic bottle it's only contents. It was far too late to find any food at that point, the hybrid hesitant to pull the stopper from the thing, even when something sloshed around within it. When the stopper was pulled out, a twisted sense of relief came with the reek of alcohol.

A firm reminder from Shale saw the pair heading back to where they'd left Kythera, Inca's expression more than a little nervous looking, even if he'd found something to present to the woman. ”I, I need more time to find food for you... But I found this, that's, that's better than nothing right?” Inca offered in a voice that sounded just like he looked. There was still that distant hope lurking just beyond his nervous expression, the hope that the stranger would just accept half payback, instead of full. A more sensible voice guessed that wouldn't be the case.
Loners
Hybrid
Vale
Luperci

Dead Topics