irony was the shackles of youth

POSTED: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:21 pm

Burnt Church Mountains, late afternoon.

Under the gray-sky dawn, O'Riley had traveled north. He did this with some regularity, for he was a creature whose nature bid it return to scenes once notable. Sometimes he looked for the fox, but he never found the creature even if he sometimes thought he sensed eyes upon him. This was just as well, the wolfdog supposed. He was of a world which went on indefinitely, while the fox and the dead man were remnants of a place which would pass into legend if anyone remained to speak of it.

Conscious of this power, he sought traders as they began moving north with the turning season. He could make most of what he needed, but some things eluded his capabilities yet.

It didn't matter. He would figure things out.

Hulking and terribly fast in his Secui form gave O'Riley more than enough freedom when it came to the hunger which crept upon him by mid-morning this became a need. A deer made for an hearty brunch that left him feeling meat-drunk and pleasant. This drove him to continue on despite the unfavorable weather, a decision which threatened to make him look foolish as he caught wind of rain.

He slowed and turned atop the mountain whose slope he had climbed and found the one left behind visible, if just barely, beyond the sprawling forest. O'Riley tested the air with his tongue, trying to best determine what he was closest to – already he had come across traces of others, and knew from Salsola's information which packs lay closest. It was difficult to judge this from the ground, which had led him to climbing the hill in the first place.

It was a long road back to cover he was familiar with. He glanced upwards, hoping the weather would favor him.

if the thunder don't get you
then the lightning will
Salsola
The Erilaz
Mel
'Souls Assemblage Luperci Informatore LET ME IN
a tightening atrocity
ECLIPSE

POSTED: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:45 pm

He had spent the entire evening composing poems that had had his heart aching, his fingers compelled to trace each word as he read and reread – his eyes warm and wide with feeling. He had been so focused on learning and following instructions that he had almost forgotten what it felt like to create something so wonderful.

Some nights he was too tired to even consider songs or poems – but something last night had urged him to creation.

There had been dancing around the campfire as Naji had urged a newcomer to imitate the way her hips had bucked and rolled, and he could still hear the way her laughter had rumbled like thunder at their failure. Their camp had become a melting pot of cultures and beliefs, and Mateo was all too eager to unravel each character’s story, thread by eager thread. It was one of the first times that the camp had truly felt like a tribe and Mateo had felt himself settling beneath the canvas of his tent with a sleepy eager smile.

This was why he had left Onuba behind.

Morning came quickly – and with it came the usual delegation of tasks.

He offered to scout, eager to prove that he no longer needed Naji to watch over him. She was the eldest of the group, and sometimes he found that she invested too much of her time in ensuring that the boy was safe. It was something that he had needed to adjust to – for in Onuba he had been given free run of the city. Salvador had been too busy to oversee much of anything when it came to his first-born son.

Mateo sang to himself as he lead his horse over rocky terrain – and the song was soft and sweetly pastel just like touches of spring. The sky was bereft of color, an unforgiving blindingly white swatch of clouds that stretched for as far as the eye could see. Mateo felt himself wincing, holding a hand to his brow as he peered out toward the next plateau. Everything felt static and silent – the deep breath of the mountain before a spring rain.

<”Come on caballa,”> He smiled gently, <”We are almost there.”>

He had brought Ombra with him, and the dark tipped horse placed each foot with care. She was uncertain of the loose rocks and hollow sounding shale – and every few steps she would pause to pull at the reigns in her master’s hands. Mateo wanted to gaze out across the forest that they had come from, and see if he could spot anything interesting.

He hadn’t expected to find another trail. It smelt strongly of wolf and blood, and Mateo flattened his ears cautiously.

The horse was nervously tossing her head, each stone tumbling as she shifted her weight and pulled.

Mateo climbed higher, soothing her with the sound of his gentle song.

omg so sorry for keeping you waiting <3

Amanda
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:08 pm

The horse-smell caught his attention and had him soon turning towards the source – it was a tawny man whose bearing was strangely familiar, but not enough for O'Riley to warrant recollection. He stepped off the rocks and back to the trail, where his large form moved steadily towards this stranger and his mount. It did not surprised him that the horse was nervous, and for this reason he did not press his position beyond a certain point (which was, he found, when the horse stopped).

It was a fine looking horse.

O'Riley's tail wagged slowly behind him – once, twice.

Going this way? He called to the rider. There might have been other routes to find, but the most direct one to the high point of this bluff was blocked bodily by O'Riley's mass. He was quite large but had made no hostile moves. If anything, the way in which he was behaving suggested he was trying very hard not to startle the mare.

then the lightning will
Salsola
The Erilaz
Mel
a tightening atrocity
ECLIPSE

POSTED: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:48 pm

The horse was stubborn and despite his song refused to go a step further towards the mountains peek. Mateo was panting, huffing long curls of fur from his face as he gave one last valiant tug on the horses reigns. <"Why do you do this?"> He shrugged, <"There is nothing to be afraid of-"> The scent of a stranger had the horse flaring her nostrils widely, her small ears twitching uncomfortably as the hulking wolf appeared on the steppe.

He was a handsome creature - blackened gold flickering along his cheeks.

Mateo noticed instantly that their eyes matched and found himself brightening at the realization. Naji would have warned him, would have explained that not every stranger that they met along their route was friendly or compassionate - there were some out there that were eager to take advantage. Mateo thrust one hand deeply into his pockets and rocked back and forth, his eyes tracing the thick muzzle of teeth that smiled down at him.

"Hola," He offered despite the step his horse took in the opposite direction, "I am trying to."

The horse tossed her head, the long tendrils of her mane twisting in the breeze. "I didn't want to leave her behind."

Amanda
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:10 pm

His gaze remained cool and fixed – perhaps if the expression he wore was not so false, and perhaps if at his heart O'Riley did not already view this man as somehow lesser.

The longer he lived the more he came to realize just how great the expanse between himself and this world was. He could, therefore, look at this stranger and at once consider the half-dozen possibilities for what might transpire between them. Many of these were hostile thoughts which lingered even as his languid glance drifted between the horse and its rider.

No, I wouldn't, he commented idly. Horses carried value beyond their meat, as any civilized Luperci knew. The path's narrow, but you might be alright. View's nice, his pleasant conversation flowed in a way that his voice, with its odd monotone pattern, did not fully master. It was a measured thing, as if he was practiced in speaking this way.

It was all about restraint. It was all about the measure of things, and finding what people most trusted.

I'm Elhaz, he lied. I'll show you the way I found, if you want to try it.

The wolfdog turned to do this, but did not look back to see if the stranger would follow.

then the lightning will
Salsola
The Erilaz
Mel
a tightening atrocity
ECLIPSE

POSTED: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:55 pm

In Onuba Mateo had never once thought of his family's horses - the strong necked animals belonging to an entirely different world. The Salcedos bred strong hearted, noble men who were prepared for anything. The Onuban wondered sometimes if his father was disappointed that this fire had someone been passed on to his daughters - bypassing his son entirely. Mateo dreamed of wonderful things, they filled him up from the inside and threatened to spill out into the surrounding mountain... but he did not see evil when it crawled by.

O'Riley chuffed, introducing himself as Elhas.

It was a name that had Mateos ears twitching, his smile lifting at the corners - innocent and shy. "I'm Mateo." He scratched the horses chin, convincing her to follow for a few teetering steps as they carried on after the dark man. Even in his four-legged form he was muscular, this cords of hid muscle rolling above his shoulders and each time he turned his thick neck. Mateo made a pleased sound as Ombra made it the rest of the way, her large dark eyes following the stranger warily.

Mateo tripped and caught himself on the animals neck, "What are you doing up here?"

Amanda
Luperci

POSTED: Sat May 05, 2018 12:23 am

He was clumsy and foreign, but he had found his way into the mountains and didn't have the half-starved look of someone living alone. Made wary by this, O'Riley reconsidered the most direct action in regards to seizing the shapely mare and instead settled for the sort of behavior he had performed in the south. It was, perhaps, merely temporary. He was not entirely (and more accurately, hardly at all) phased by the idea of consequences.

Trying to figure out where to go, the wolfdog answered honestly enough. O'Riley had been debating over this, especially with the smell of rain on the wind. It was clear enough now, but he could see clouds brewing in the distance.

He frowned. He would become either wet or delayed, and both of these were irritating options.

O'Riley looked back towards Mateo as the dog took in the view. Where are you from?

then the lightning will
Salsola
The Erilaz
Mel
a tightening atrocity
ECLIPSE

POSTED: Tue May 15, 2018 1:52 am

Mateo forgot sometimes that he struck a strange figure in the lands of Nova Scotia. In Onuba he had been prepared to abandon his Salcedo name in favor of becoming a bard or a poet - the lines of prose creating a noble path that lead him away from the court but towards creative splendor. Tiamat had become his new pathway, a beacon of righteousness that had rallied him to her cause with ease. Mateo had allowed pieces of him to carry through - his notebooks, the tiny pieces of charcoal that smudged his fingers black - but there were new pieces too. His tunics were tighter than he remembered, and despite Naji's teasing he knew that he had grown from the lanky boy who had first boarded Mara's ship.

He had experienced bravery and fear, been drunk and seen beautiful things.

He was growing.

But at times like this... he was little more than a naive boy who believed that there was still good in everything. Elhas lead him easily toward the plateau, the mare trotting past him to pull herself up onto the flat edged area. Mateo pulled himself up after her, shaking out the dust from his pelt as he whistled at the view.

"I've been doing a bit of that myself with my group," He rested his hands on his hips - watching the horse wander careful circles around them, "I'm from Onuba, a noble house." He didn't know why he told the man that, but his ears twitched as he said it. "I'm Mateo Salcedo."

Amanda
Luperci

POSTED: Fri May 25, 2018 5:19 pm

He didn't belong out here, this soft-looking man and his pretty horse, and the absurdity of it, of him, it all felt so very out of place that O'Riley's mind wandered to dark places the longer he looked the pair over.

On the outside all he did was stare, openly, unabashedly, as if it was his right to do so. These days there were very few people he could not look in the eye, and this list was shrinking by the hour. Things beyond his control and measure were already in place, shuffling and positioning themselves for action.

If he had not be roaming lonely mountains and looking for reasons to be scarce, O'Riley might have noticed these things. He was too aware sometimes, the product of a childhood where expectation was an impossible precipice and failure a hard, brutal lesson. What could a person like this, he wondered, know of war and violence? What might have drawn him here, so clearly a foreigner as he was, to a place that wanted for no company but those capable enough to survive?

His expression barely changed despite this growing shadow within his thoughts, and at its call his ears twitched – but they did so again after the first words which had mattered soon became many.

Group. Onuba. Salcedo.

O'Riley made a noise in his throat like a word unformed. He shook his neck, freeing loose hair to the wind.

Yeah? What is it you are doing here, then?

There was a new tone to his voice: a demand.

then the lightning will
Salsola
The Erilaz
Mel
a tightening atrocity
ECLIPSE

POSTED: Sun May 27, 2018 2:51 am

Salcedo was a name that meant something to Salsolans - something that Mateo did not know. His Uncle had disappeared years prior while Salvador always skirted the questions around his disappearance. It was not something to be explained to the children, though he thought sometimes that perhaps Lilia knew or understood - what with the long talks her and her father had tended to have. She too had left, her ambitions far reaching and larger than what Onuba could offer her.

Mateo understood that feeling - though he had never been taken with the sword.

O'Riley padded nonchalantly around them as Mateo took in the view. Everything from up here was so small and insignificant - though he could see the way the mountain range peeked and created a horizon of dragon-like teeth. He grinned, turning to the man with his hands buried in his pockets, "It wasn't enough." He shrugged, "Too much expectation, not enough adventure." He scratched his chin idly, "I thought I could come to this place and make a name for myself. Gather stories and find my sister."

He carried on, naive and dumb against the darkness that brewed within Elhaz.

"We've got a camp up in Timber Cove." He clicked his teeth together and peered out at the clouds. "Where are you from?" He raised a brow, "You look like you've been around."

Amanda
Luperci

Dead Topics