A memory fading

Saga

POSTED: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:40 pm

Optime | Somewhere close to MV’s borders (but not too close); late evening | NPCs: Pan and Muddy (+477)

Probably within a few hours or so of Asura dropping off the sheep?

“Go.” The raven’s gravelly voice sounded over the gentle crackle of the fire. “Fam. Ly?” Pan cocked his head towards her as he shuffled on the rock he had taken up perching on. “Big. Waaater?”

The silver wolfdog offered him a glance before she continued to skin and cut up the second of the two rabbits that she had managed to catch before the sun had slipped beyond the distant horizon. Fam-ily,” she corrected. The corvid was still learning High Speech, though, he seemed to have been doing quite well thus far. He understood more than he could articulate, but, then again, Asura supposed it was an even trade off. After all, learning Low Speech from her father and the raven was no easy task either.

With a soft sigh, Asura answered her feathered companion though. “I don’t know, Pan. It’s a very long journey, father says, and Muddy and Saul couldn’t come with us.” The draft stallion exhaled sharply at his name, but continued let himself doze off.

The topic had been a common one throughout their recent journeys delivering livestock to multiple packs. It was one that Asura had done her best to ignore, however, it was a decision that she knew she would inevitably have to make. Her family had spoken of visiting her father’s homeland across the ocean. The young medic had her reservations though. It would mean abandoning her horse. There was also the very real possibility that they would never make it. It was later in the year, and the boats took some time to cross the great blue. And, even when they got there, then what? Travel some more in the midst of winter? In a foreign land?

Her knife slipped from the rabbit’s skin, nearly slicing into the pad of her thumb. Jolted back into reality from the momentary scare, Asura let out another, long sigh. She needed to focus.

She had dropped off the sheep that Moon Moon had asked of her, handed the small flock of them over to a woman named Valeria. With it being so late in the day though, the Creo had decided to bed down until morning. She had not been this far southwest in a while, and she knew not of what troubles might be lurking about in the night hours. Reason had her chose a location that was relatively close to Mistfell Vale, feeling safer with the knowledge of the pack nearby to keep trouble at bay.

“How long? Food.” Pan decided to change the subject, perhaps reminded of his stomach when his master had nearly cut her finger with her own knife.

“Tch, glutton,” Asura grumbled under her breath. “If you want it cooked like last time, you’ll have to wait.”

Awwwhk awwwhk!

Asura sighed and continued to prep the rabbits.

Asura Creo

Loners
Wolfdog
Songbird
Moderator Luperci
Meant to fly
in that sky

POSTED: Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:12 pm

Word Count → 2+ :: ooc

She'd had very little to do with the former Sapien during the short while she'd been within the Vale. Saga had largely been in the Orchard, managing the various refurbishment jobs that the teenage handyman had thrown himself into headlong. Now she'd managed to persuade Brom to take a rest she found herself with time enough to seek out the woman.

Aside from curiosity, she had no reason to find Asura. The loner had completed her task, delivering the livestock to Valeria as promised, and so her work in Mistfell Vale was complete. Saga was driven simply by the fact that, as Starkhelm, she should really greet this stranger.

And so cursing Brom, she departed from his side at the Orchard and disappeared into the pre-dusk. Her search for Asura took her past the borders, leaving Saga to wonder why she hadn't bothered to stay for a night. Perhaps Felix and Calia had not offered? It didn't matter either way, for the dappled Starkhelm still had time to spare.

She soon came across Asura, guided by the embers of a campfire drifting skywards. A doggish bark signaled her arrival, which was quickly followed by a cool, 'Asura, I assume?'

Saga D'Angelo
Mistfell Vale
Starkhelm
Vida
'Souls Soldier of Love Luperci Lucky Little Leaf
der schein trügt
ursa major

POSTED: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:15 pm

NPCs: Pan and Muddy (+309)

Frustrated with having to wait longer, Pan flew up into a branch somewhere above the Creo. He seemed to decide that if he was going to wait, he might as well preen. The raven puffed up and began to meticulously go over his dark feathers. Occasionally, he’d set one of his dark eyes upon his Luperci companion to observe her progress with dinner, offering his commentary every so often in the form of a squawk or other sound he thought was interesting.

Asura continued to remove the fur from the rabbits, trying her best to keep them relatively preserved. Without Sapient, she and her family would have to reply on their own goods for trade if they wanted for anything more than what they could make or find. Her father and uncle had taught her a little, but, the Creo’s talents had always leaned more on the medical side than it had for making goods out of animal parts. Thankfully, rabbits were relatively easy to skin, and she pulled the heads off of the prey animals before disposing of their entrails into a pile to be dealt with later.

She had only just managed to skewer the rabbits and put them over the fire when a rustling—and bark—sound alerted her to another approaching the temporary campsite. Asura sat up, Muddy’s ears pricked, and Pan ceased his preening. A mottled girl—likely hardly more than a year—came into view, her white markings helping her stand out from the growing shadows of the world. Asura stood up to receive the individual, offering a nod to the female’s question. “I am.” She took a testing sniff, recognizing the familiar scent of the Vale upon the other. “You must be from the Vale. What can I do for you? Is there a problem with the sheep?”

Asura Creo

Loners
Wolfdog
Songbird
Moderator Luperci
Meant to fly
in that sky

POSTED: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:02 pm

short soory ;-; <3

The smell of searing rabbit flesh filled the air as she approached, which made her almost eager to return home and tuck into her own meal. She wouldn't rush the encounter for her own sake of course. Stepping forward into the light Saga proclaimed, 'Saga D'Angelo, Starkhelm and Diplomat.' with an eerily commanding tone of voice, one that seemed at odds with her age, but not with the sage expression she wore.

Asura asked two questions, the second of which was answered first. 'No, there's nothing wrong with the sheep.' They'd scarcely been here a day, what could go wrong so fast? It occurred to Saga that there were likely many things that could have gone wrong, but she had no experience in livestock and could make no judgment on it. 'We didn't get a chance to meet while you were making your delivery. I've been supervising some refurbishments.' It was as simple as that. It felt irresponsible to allow someone to enter the territory without making the effort to greet them, both as Starkhelm and as the pack's Diplomat.

Saga D'Angelo
Mistfell Vale
Starkhelm
Vida
der schein trügt
ursa major

POSTED: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:05 pm

NPCs: Pan and Muddy (+448)

Perfectly fine<333 There wasn’t much to respond to in my post Dx

The rank was not one that Asura was familiar with, though, with how the girl said it, it must have held some sort of weight to it. Saga’s surname was one that Asura had heard before though—it had been one of her packmates before the pack had gone their separate ways—and it made the silver wolfdog wonder if perhaps the two were related somehow or if the name was merely coincidence. After all, the girl before her with her mottled coloring looked nothing like Constance’s deep blue hues.

Thankfully, it didn’t seem as if the Starkhelm was there because there had been an issue with the livestock she’d brought over. The last thing Asura would have wanted was to have created a bad image of the disbanded Sapient or of Moon Moon if the sheep had not been to the Vale’s liking. She knew not what agreement Moon Moon had come to with the Redpaw woman, and the sudden appearance of a Mistwalker now could have meant one of many things. With no issues to be remarked though, Asura felt, truly, unburdened by the whole ordeal once more.

She offered a polite dip of her head towards the shorter woman. She was quietly surprised by the girl’s desire to speak with a Loner, though, she supposed as someone who wore the title of “Diplomat,” it would have been her duty to see to the pack’s guests and such. “Thank you for taking the time to speak with me then, Starkhelm.” Asura was not comfortable with addressing someone younger than her as “Miss.” While her rank meant nothing to a Luperci with no allegiance, Asura had been raised to be respectful of titles, and had dealt with diplomacy a time or two before her Sapient had been disbanded.

The Creo beckoned the Mistwalker to join her by the fire. “Come, sit down, I can share some of the rabbits here once they’re done if you’d like?” She didn’t have to, but it was polite.

From above, Pan squawked in protest. “Our food! Our food!”

“I can catch more, Pan,” she reassured the raven.

Turning her attention back to Saga, Asura sat down. “How is Mistfell Vale, if you don’t mind me asking? This is the first I have interacted with your pack since it showed up earlier this year?” She remembered Sabrael going off to investigate things when the rumors had reached Sapient of a new pack within the general area. Shaamah and a few others had been sent by Nivosus, too, during the same time Asura and her assigned group had been sent to Inferni.

Asura Creo

Loners
Wolfdog
Songbird
Moderator Luperci
Meant to fly
in that sky

POSTED: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:14 pm

2+

The D'Angelo shrugged as best she could on four legs. While she couldn't know that Asura had deliberately omitted "miss" from her pleasantries, Saga would have been glad to know it. Starkhelm was a title she had worked hard to gain and the title she would prefer to be known as. "Miss" lacked power, lacked the knowledge that it was earnt. It was a weak title.

With a short-lived air of hesitation, Saga made her way over to the fireside, falling back on to her haunches. Bright eyes turned up towards the raven that was perched up high, narrowing slightly in mild distaste. Loud things grated her nerves and she had little patience for them over an extended amount of time, but largely kept her opinions to herself.

'We're well. Thanks.' The D'Angelo replied. 'We've had a peaceful beginning and, with luck, our fortunes will continue so.' In fact, the first few months of the Vale had been, well, boring. While some would find such peace incredibly taxing, Saga was thankful for it. 'What about you? I heard Sapient disbanded. What have you been doing with yourself?' It was only polite to ask.

And probably heavy-handed too.
Saga D'Angelo
Mistfell Vale
Starkhelm
Vida
der schein trügt
ursa major

POSTED: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:37 am

NPCs: Pan and Muddy (+320)

Sorry for the delay @___@ Haven’t felt like writing much lately. Also, wasn’t sure where we wanted this to go? :O

Asura is not aware of the Bay of Fundy having begun to close up.

Asura nodded, offering the dappled woman a confident smile, “I hope fortune stays with the Vale. Your people seem kind, and the area looks to be as good as any for a pack to thrive in.” They sat on the edge of the bay, and had many major rivers flowing into the area to survive off of for fresh water and fishing exploits. There was an abandoned human town to the north, and plenty of forest surrounding the area. From just having walked around the perimeter itself, the area where the Vale had taken root appeared to be a sound decision.

It was Asura’s turn to shrug when Saga turned the conversation back to her. “I’ve been a busy; lots of traveling. I had to help move the last of our communal animals to Krokar, and then took a few others to Casa di Cavalieri and, well, here.” Her turquoise gaze shifted to the cooking food, prodding the skewers the meat was struck to distractedly. Melancholy briefly flickered across her eyes, but it was quickly exchanged for a feeling that would not bring the mood down.

“I’ve had practice, I guess,” she chuckled, “When my birth pack, Midnight Shores, disbanded, I helped drive our animals to Sapient too. I just…didn’t except to have to reuse that experience so soon.”

There was a pause as Asura gathered her thoughts once more, not wanting the conversation to be only about herself and the reminder that her pack was no more. Returning her eyes to Saga, she asked, her tone curious, “So, what is the Vale about? I was only able to briefly glance over the reports made by our diplomats when they visited you all. I think I saw something about…houses?” Her brows furrowed at this, indicating that she didn’t understand the significance of the term as anything other than a synonym for a “home.”

Asura Creo

Loners
Wolfdog
Songbird
Moderator Luperci
Meant to fly
in that sky

POSTED: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 am

Word Count → 4+ :: my plan was just for Saga to be vaguely diplomatty lmao

Saga nodded in agreement, the Mistwalkers had pretty much everything they could want in this patch of land they claimed as home. In the gardens and the orchard, their animals grazed happily, safe from predators and sheltered from the elements. In the village, the Mistwalkers themselves were kept in a similar, comfortable fashion. Even those who did not seek to live in close quarters were well catered for, with more rural dwellings dotting that iconically foggy scenery. Saga had always considered moving into one of the red brick Italianate buildings that adorned the Tuscany Gardens, though she'd always relented that it was more prudent as Starkhelm to be where the people were, where she could be found easily. And so she remained in her overgrown one-story home, more fitting for a hermit that a councilmember.

'What do you suppose you'll do once you're finished carting animals around?' It was probably an invasive question, like most of Saga's questions were, but there was a hint of sincerity in her voice. A genuine wonder of what Asura would set herself to afterward. Would she remain a loner, or would she find some other pack to reside in? A thought crossed the D'Angelo's mind about what she herself would do in that situation. It left a bitter taste in her mouth and encased her heart in heavy lead to even think about it. Where else would she have to go? She had only known the confines on Salsola before and while she was sure that she would have been able to succeed there, it was not a place she wanted to be. Besides, would they even have her back after she's abandoned them? She doubted it...

The conversation moved back towards the Starkhelm's area of expertise and she was glad of it. It had done her no good to dwell on things that were not, and hopefully would never, happen. 'Houses.' Saga began, 'Elkenfrey, Hawkesond, and Wolverthorne, the latter of which I lead under Calia and Felix. They serve to surround our members with likeminded people as the houses are divided by personality traits, mentalities, and so on. Elkenfrey are our openminded members, flexible, creative. Hawkesond is passionate and motivated. Wolverthornes are the loyal, the just, and the resilient.' The speckled woman waited silently, to see what new questions or comments would arise. It was a strange ranking system, but an interesting one, unique among the other packs in the area. It was simply too, Saga had always found Salsola to be over complicated and fickle. Here in the Vale, ascension was easy and straightforward. And there was never any need for secrecy and treachery.

Saga D'Angelo
Mistfell Vale
Starkhelm
Vida
der schein trügt
ursa major

POSTED: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:55 pm

NPCs: Pan and Muddy (+493)

We could probably wrap this up soon if you want?

Asura’s answer came with a shrug of her shoulders. “I don’t know.” In truth, she didn’t. It was something that she had yet to figure out what she wanted to do afterwards. She only ever known of a life within a pack, never had she lived one without allegiance to one. Her mother and uncle had not spoken well of the life as a Loner, particularly, truly, when one was alone. Her father had been more indifferent about the matter, so, the young Creo wasn’t sure which she would be more inclined to share the same thought as. “Maybe I’ll wander around for a while, maybe I’ll go with my family across the sea.”

“Explore! Explore!” Pan chimed in, bobbing his head as if it would sway the silver wolfdog to consider his suggestion with a bit more weight.

She flicked an ear at him. “I know what you think, Pan,” she chuckled lightly, rolling her eyes. Young as he was, Pan didn’t really have any ties that made him partial to sticking to any one place, and his constant presence accompanying Asura made him less attached to the rest of her family. So, of course, he’d be more inclined to want the option that allowed them to see new things that would sate his ever-flowing curiosity.

The mottled yearling clarified what these “houses” were in the Vale, and Asura found herself quite interested to hear about them. It was so different than any other cultural thing she’d heard of. Three houses, all based off of one’s nature, not their interests, not their talents. It was fascinating to consider, as it was unlike Midnight Shores or Sapient. Based off of Saga’s description of each, it was fun to think of what Asura’s house might have been if she had joined the Vale.

Feeling that the meet was done sizzling, the Creo took them off of the fire and blew on them. Above them, Pan shuffled along his perch, antsy at the knowledge that food would soon be served. “You’re pretty young to be a leader of a house,” she complimented, “You must be pretty skilled.” Asura liked the idea, though, perhaps her thoughts were biased because of their closer age to each other. There were likely many older Luperci that might have seen flaws with adhering to the commands of someone they deemed less experienced than them.

Asura reached a hand up to one of the skewers in her grasp, testing the cooked meat between two fingers for how hot it still was. It was still plenty warm—much warmer than even a fresh kill—but, it was not so hot that she felt it’d burn the tongue. Nodding with approval, she held one out for Saga to take in her mouth if she so chose. “These should be cool enough now.” She said with a pleasant smile.

Asura Creo

Loners
Wolfdog
Songbird
Moderator Luperci
Meant to fly
in that sky

POSTED: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:06 am

feel free to do so if you want to post again, if not we can just fade off from here? ^^ 3+

She wouldn't know either, and therefore the indecisiveness she usually had little tolerance for was politely excused. What does one do when almost everything you've know slips from your grasp? Especially when there's nowhere left to seek refuge. If the Vale collapsed, what would she do? Salsola had never been an option, even when she'd resided at the Outpost. They'd certainly never take her back even still. Who else did that leave? Nowhere Saga would obviously gravitate too at least. It seemed that she'd either have to strike it out as a loner, or found her own family with the other so called "suvivors".

It would not come to that. She wouldn't let it.

'My father's father came from across the sea.' The Starkhelm said softly. 'It was someplace warm. Apparently he had no more of a pelt than a horse does.' Saga wouldn't have known, she'd never met the man. He'd died some good few years before her birth and Ankh had always been reluctant to talk about him. Though she's scarcely needed to hear it, seeing her own father's soft, whispy coat that held little heat in.

The compliment was spoken in a way that caught the D'Angelo off guard. A genuine one, not an offhanded statement. Under mottled fur, the Mistwalker blushed, looking away for a second and then returning to regard Asura with bright eyes. 'Thank you.' was all she was able to utter. It came with an almost childish aura, a hesitant wag of her tail and the thrill of praise she'd not yet grown numb to. 'I like to think so.' Saga continued after a moment. She was not sure how skilled she was in reality, but she was certainly hardworking.

Gingerly, she took the game from Asura's hands, taking a few moments to chew it carefully and savour the taste of warm food, a delicacy that Saga rarely had time for. After she'd finished, she waited a moment or two before excusing herself, 'I should be off now,' her gaze lifting to the now dark sky, 'I'll finish my patrol and head home. Thanks for the food, it was lovely meeting you.'
Saga D'Angelo
Mistfell Vale
Starkhelm
Vida
der schein trügt
ursa major

Dead Topics