in the shadows

athras

POSTED: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:26 pm

Tali had come to tell her that Brocade had asked after her – curious in only the way that an Uncle can be. She did her best to avoid the Barracks for fear of being forced to explain herself to him. The Solstice ritual had ended in terror, for little Eden had burned his hands while Coax had sacrificed a living animal to the flames for reasons that Symre still struggled to understand. The dark girl had been prepared to welcome summer whole heartedly, to pull the remaining cold from the world and to propel it back out toward the sea.

Instead her ritual had been forever changed by burnt skin and blood, and she wasn’t sure if this was what the coven of Salsola was.

After discovering the clan of Coyotes to the west she had spent time wondering what it was about them that intrigued her so – they all had accents that bounced off one another like a cacophony of stones, their flashing eyes in gold and cerulean so different from the sharp glances that Salsola held so dear. The Rask travelled more now, borrowing horses from Margerrd that were easy enough to ride as she was no expert at it. She looked for the ones with soft expressions and greying muzzles, gentle beasts who would eagerly follow regardless of how she sat upon them.

The afternoon had brought her to the Miramichi Valley, and it sprawled all about her in flashes of wild flowers and clutches of thickets. Birds chattered to one another from the trees and Symre felt herself warming beneath the sunlight that trickled out from beneath a smudge of pristinely white clouds. With a grunt she dropped from her horses back and began to inspect the bushes that lay nestled together, her expression focused as she searched for nests to pilfer from.

”You’re too slow.” Tali was curled upon the horses haunch, her expression lazy beneath the sun, ”You’ll never catch anything like that.”

᛫ ᚻᛖᛞᛄ ᛫ ᚹᛁᛏᚳ᛫
Salsola
The Warden
Amanda
Luperci Witch

POSTED: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:56 pm

()

In the shadow of the mountain the Miramachi valley spread in a low-land forest, split by a river teeming with life. The hazy summer sun seeded warmth into the soil and from it an abundance of blooms, thickets, and ferns exploded from their earthen cradle. The half-shadow’s fingers brushed these aside gingerly like a lord greeting his subjects. It prevented them from snagging his dark robe-- the only one he had now. Oh, how many fine things he had possessed in Caledonia! Robes for every season, every color and pattern reflecting the vibrant wood around them. How he missed that forest full of secrets, living, growing, decaying ever hungry. He supposed now was the time to make his own, and he was well on his way.

A hide sack hung from one shoulder, weighed down by the detritus of fallen plant-life, withered stalks and moist wood: bones bleached by sunlight and the soft petals of summer wildflowers. He hunted the thickets, stalking between the trees for other such natural treasures, things to be added to the shrine of his god-- the only true one in his opinion. Save perhaps, Nin but she’d never done anything for him personally.

He kept to the shadows wherever he could, his steps silent from habitual study and training. It wasn’t a question how he’d managed to escape a war unscathed. Athras Eryn was not a man of considerable bulk what muscle he had was lean and taut, tight to his long svelte frame which made him appear taller than he was. Either that or the way he held his head so high, shoulders back in a posture often assumed by nobility. He was well-bred, his features narrow with a feral slant that leant itself well to his luminous cyan eyes. His hair was long and partially bound, it fell down his back like a silk curtain gleaming and free of snags and tangles.

He bent to inspect a pale shape sticking up from the soil and paused, ears twitching towards the sound of a lazy mewling voice. It was clear enough he could understand it, but made no mistake that this was the voice of a cat, not a canine though he had to wonder...He abandoned his prize in the pursuit of another peering out warily from behind a thick linden tree. It wasn’t difficult to spot the horse and the pale-furred feline that rested on her rump, but his eyes were swiftly drawn to the feminine form that plundered the brush.

He stalked towards them, but thought better of spooking the horse- that was no way to endear himself to these strangers so close to camp. “Have you found anything?” He called genially, allowing himself to be seen.

New Caledonia
The Lord-Regent
Stormie
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:49 pm

Symre carefully picked through the thicket as Tali watched her with an amused expression, <”Try more to the left!”>T he cat mewled, gesturing with her short face towards a thicker cross hatching of branches. Symre squinted at the cluster of twigs and branches that whorled together and found herself grinning as she reached as high as she could, pulling the nest gently down towards herself so that she could peer inside.

<”Someone’s coming.”>

Tali’s voice was barely a whisper and Symre twitched her ears toward the horse as she blew air lowly through her nose in warning. The Salsolan was an expert in nothing – a woman who pursued no true path save for the one blazed by her own quiddity. She refused to become a soldier and did not care for the wordsmithing that came with merchantry. Symre did not believe in the notion of their coven – where real life sacrifice and blood ritual seemed to run rampant.

She tugged the leather satchel slung over her shoulder and turned slowly – allowing a twitch of surprise to ripple over her shoulders as the man picked his way toward her. She was no actress and so did not attempt to hide the widening of her eyes as he smiled – the bright aquamarine of his eyes glittering brightly against the forest din. She clicked her teeth and straightened, releasing the bough gently so that the brush swayed to and fro behind her.

His cheeks were stained auburn, the dark cloak wrapped about his shoulder almost hiding the satchel which lay slung over one of his shoulders.

Her tongue flicked against her teeth, ”Nothing yet.”

Symre narrowed her eyes slightly and she found herself crossing her arms, ”Looks like you found your own spoils.”

᛫ ᚻᛖᛞᛄ ᛫ ᚹᛁᛏᚳ᛫
Salsola
The Warden
Amanda
Luperci Witch

POSTED: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:09 pm

()

At once her earthen hues and deep crimson gaze called forth the countenance of the queen of thistles. His eyes zeroed on her features, brows furrowing and lids narrowing just slightly as they roved over her form. In contemplation his head tilted ever-so-slightly, centering once he’d reached a conclusion. This woman’s features were broader, her breeding and stature too dissimilar to claim a close relation. Hmm. He was none-the-less struck by her wild beauty, the dark hair that tumbled down her shoulders, her feminine form unclad save for the satchel that hung from a shoulder. But was less impressed when she spoke, her words direct and without inflection, her arms folded immediately to her chest as if to shield herself from his company.

“Nothing at all?” Athras teased, his cyan gaze passing from the swaying branch to her stoic visage. His smirk was not unkind and his eyes were twinkling with a knowing mirth. “You must think me a thief.” He purred, allaying her suspicions with a gesture. “Never fear. I’ve better things to do than steal from strangers who wander so close to camp.”

The lord shifted his own satchel, “and yes, I’ve a few trifles of my own.” Offerings to Nanin were not hard to come by, and while many might overlook them as filth or detritus with little use save for compost Athras found a hidden beauty in their decay: the life that sprang from death, bolstering the bounty of future seasons of growth before breaking down into their simplest parts. The rot of death fed the grass from which their great stag fed. How could one not be in awe?

“I am Lord Athras Eryn of Caledonia. Perhaps we could hunt together?”

New Caledonia
The Lord-Regent
Stormie
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:37 pm

There was something about him that seemed almost familiar. He had the same pompous allure that so many in the Kingdom were eager to propagate. Symre blinked at him curiously, using one free hand to gently smooth her shoulder fur. ”I wandered close to camp?” She sniffed, twitching her nose as she continued, ”… Is your camp close by?” She smelt others on his pelt, and when he moved the edge of his cloak swished elegantly about his legs.

He must have come from somewhere noble. His eyes were so bright that each time she glanced at them she had to force herself to look away. The teal in them was sharp edged like a gemstone, and the breeze kept tugging at the long locks of his hair. ”I’m Symre.”

When he introduced himself as a Lord she couldn’t help the snort of laughter that escaped her.

”Oo, a Lord. I’ve never been graced by ones presence before.” She rolled her eyes and made to move off further into the wood, ”Are you sure you don’t have servants to hunt for you?”

᛫ ᚻᛖᛞᛄ ᛫ ᚹᛁᛏᚳ᛫
Salsola
The Warden
Amanda
Luperci Witch

POSTED: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:25 pm

()

Those vivid cyan eyes assessed her, his head tilting curiously. His smile remained, flashing sharp wolfish teeth bright as pearls. “No.” He said contrarily in response to her repetition and oddly posed questions. His eyes twinkled, it was a lie in jest and he clarified. “Yes, that is what I said, Symre.” He wondered if that would get a rise out of her, subverting her expectations like that if only for a moment. Their gazes held for a time, but he didn’t flinch. He met the dull red of her own unfazed by her demeanor.

His expression wavered however at the ugly sound of a snort, sharpening. His nose wrinkled if only for a split second. “No, I can’t imagine you have.” Athras sneered. “I’d happily educate you as far as the proper etiquette, but I’m afraid I don’t have that kind of time.”

“Oh, of course I do!” He laughed, “but it’s not food I’m looking for.” When she began to walk deeper into the wood he followed, his long-legged strides catching up quickly until he was at her side. His sighthound and collie ancestry ensured he was swift, his steps soundless, robe whispering against the earth. “It’s treasures, though not of the sort you might think. If you’re nice, I might even show you what I’ve found.”

"Though I imagine that might be difficult." He flashed another grin, though this one was not quite so pleasant.

New Caledonia
The Lord-Regent
Stormie
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:17 am

”Treasures?” Symre wanted to roll her eyes at the fact he’d managed to pull another question from her. Her ears twitched toward him as he retorted and she snorted through her nostrils, amused despite the attitude that lingered in his words. He reminded her of someone that she couldn’t quite put her finger on and so it was that curiosity bade her pause, one hand slung through the strap of her satchel. ”Ah yes, good.” She lifted her lips to expose her teeth, ”That is most excellent, for I did not bring my note taking tools for such a lesson.”

She rolled her eyes but allowed a laugh to escape her.

”I am nice.” She glanced at him from the corner of her eyes, ”You just don’t see it yet.”

She shook her bag so the contents shuffled together.

"I'll show you mine if you show me yours."

᛫ ᚻᛖᛞᛄ ᛫ ᚹᛁᛏᚳ᛫
Salsola
The Warden
Amanda
Luperci Witch

POSTED: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:29 pm

()

Another snort, most unbecoming he decided, but this one was at least bemused. He’d take his victories where he could find them and remained only for her wild beauty and to sate his own curiosity. “What an awful shame.” Athras tutted, though his eyes glimmered with mischief, lips lifting at their corners with good humor.

“Am I to perceive it then? Alter my view of reality? Or perhaps you’ve something yet to show me.” His eyes slid carefully down her silhouette as he admired her rich earth and clay hues, the wild dark hair. Blunt she may be, inelegant, but she looked lovely all the same. Shame she hadn’t the attitude to match, but he did ever so love a challenge. “A fair offer, how can I refuse?” He chuckled good-naturedly, ears tilting towards the sound of objects shuffling together in her own satchel. He reached down into his, taking great care, and pulled out...a human skull.

The bone was brown and in near-perfect condition, preserved by the frozen bogs of the peninsula it was nonetheless a remarkable find. He held it aloft for her inspection, pulling it away should she try to reach for it herself in an effort to maintain its structure. “I believe it’s your turn.” He glanced toward her satchel as if he might get a peek of what lies inside.

New Caledonia
The Lord-Regent
Stormie
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:08 pm

If she narrowed her eyes slightly he was decidedly more handsome. The long waves of his inky black hair framed those auburn cheeks just-so – but everytime he spoke the illusion was lifted, and Symre instead found herself grinning at him with a sharp toothed smile. There was something self-righteous about him, a lingering flavor that hung like a veil over each of his actions.

She began to rifle through her satchel as he reached into his, his long-clawed fingers slighting upon a large object that he pulled gracefully from the shadows. He held it aloft in the light, allowing her a moment to take in the skull that he presented her with. She couldn’t help but be taken aback, her sanguine eyes wide with surprise as he spun it against the palm of his hand.

Symre made to reach for it, but of course the Lord pulled it just out of reach.

The hedge-witch rolled her eyes, ”Fair is fair.”

From within her bag she pulled a multitude of birds, all beautifully posed and folded as if they were asleep. There were two red breasted robins, and a tiny starling who’s feathers shone with the colors of an oil slick as she twisted them in the light. Tali had caught a sparrow but damaged one of the wings in her exuberance.

᛫ ᚻᛖᛞᛄ ᛫ ᚹᛁᛏᚳ᛫
Salsola
The Warden
Amanda
Luperci Witch

Northern Tides