stuck in the middle with you

POSTED: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:58 am

It's morning, and it's warm. Your character got their tail caught in an old human fence.

open for one! phoenix is always getting himself in trouble it seems [+500]
phoenix whitesage

Maybe it was a sign.

It felt as though — at least as of late, anyway — that anytime the Whitesage man strayed from the Vale's territory, he found himself in some sort of sticky situation. First there was the hellspawn cat, and now this.

This time, surprisingly, it wasn't Tohopka's fault; or, well, not really his fault.

The cowboy and his horse had stumbled upon an old farm, and just beyond a decaying, rickety fence was a field flourishing with vegetation, grass and wheat that was far too enticing for the stallion to just walk away from. Eagerly Toh nudged and snorted to his owner, making his case for why they just had to get in there so he could taste the sweet, delicious, delectable grass.

Only one problem stood in their way; the fence.

"I mean, if yer willin' to hop that thing, then go for it," Phoenix shrugged, not expecting his equine to really consider than an option. He had never really jumped hurdles before, at least not in recent memory. The coymutt was quite surprised, then, when the black horse came barreling past him and launched into the air, just barely clearing the not-so-short fence and emerging victorious on the other side.

He whistled in amazement, watching with wide eyes as Tohopka began chomping away at the grass, quite proud of himself. "Well I'll be damned."

Of course, he'd have to jump back over, and hopefully that wouldn't prove problematic.

Now it was his turn, but he didn't have to work nearly as hard. Dusting off his hands on his jeans, the man propped one leg over the fence with some effort — it wasn't high, but it was high enough to prompt him to get on his tippy toes — and he sat on the fence for a moment, saddling it as he watched Tohopka with a chuckle and a wagging tail. "You sure are somethin', Toh," he said, grinning, as he brought his other leg over the fence and began to slide off. "You see some grass n' you jus' go craz — ah, SHIT."

He was inside the field, but as he moved to walk away, there was a sharp pain at his rear. A quick glance behind him gave way to a less than pleasant sight.

"Oh, fer god's sake." His tail had caught between the wood and wire of the fence, nicely wedged in there and not budging an inch. But of course. It was just his luck.

Phoenix let out a long, exasperated sigh, and he tried tugging on his appendage to free it; no dice. More loose-tongued curses flowed easily from Nick's mouth, but no amount of cussing would break his tail from its trap.

Nearby Toh had looked up to see what the commotion was about, and he snorted again, whispering in Low Speech something-something-stupid-something. "It ain't funny!" Phoenix protested, but the stallion continued to laugh and sneer at him between mouthfuls of long-stalked grass.

template by veldt, image by @simone_dalmeri
avatar by Despi, signature by Nat
Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
veldt
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:08 am

Aenan could recall the cat colony that Krokar had… protected, in order to use the barn the felines had overran. He couldn’t remember the names, but images did float of the four-legged imps crawling all over the place. The man avoided that barn due to its tyrannical overlord, and the pungent odor of the cats’ urine. The fate of those animals was unknown to him, but he wondered if there were other colonies of felines inhabiting the various old farms and barns that dotted the landscape. He had passed a few in the areas around his camp, and never once had he poked his nose in. A cat would be a great addition to his hovel. It could catch mice and other rodents stealing food, and be nice companion for the long walks he took. Then again, Alena would probably snatch it up and baby it, maybe two would be better?

He smiled to himself as he imagined just how happy Alena would be with a tiny, bright-eyed, whiskered, ball of fluff. If he got her one, she’d have someone to watch out for her and keep her company while he was gone. It’d give him peace of mind too, considering how clumsy the girl was. One for her and one for himself seemed like the best idea, though it would mean they would need to feed the cats, during the winter at least, and he doubted they’d want fish bones and bits unwanted by him and Alena. The imagined sounds of their yowling and complaining gave the man pause. Would it be a good idea after all?

No matter the number of cats he’d bring home, the wolfdog would need to locate some first. He found himself far from his rivers and ponds that he fished, feeling it’d be best to hit those on the way back home. He expected the farm to be empty like every time he had passed, but the black horse in the field caught him off guard. Had someone come and claimed the stead, or had a horse wandered in from afar to taste the grains planted decades ago, now propagating themselves and mingling with the natural flora? Though those questions were quickly quashed by the sight of the man, seemingly attached to the fence that still surrounded the field. A quiet laugh escaped through Aenan’s nose, as he changed his course, making a beeline for the ensnared canine and their dark horse.

The wolfdog had found a safer bit of barrier to bound over. It was bent and broken, and once he was over, he began to approach the coyote-looking fellow. As he drew closer he found himself laughing outright at the situation, though he tried stifling it. There was a big grin across his face as he waved. “Hello!” Aenan called. “I don't believe the farmer here needs a scarecrow,” he remarked, chuckling softly. The wolfdog stopped a short distance away, so not to spook him, and smiled wide and crossed his arms. “Need some help getting out of there?” He asked, shaking his head at the stranger's silly predicament.
Loners
Wolfdog
Scott
Luperci Home is wherever there is you. They stole my dirty socks... :(

POSTED: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:49 pm

thanks for joining! [+300]
phoenix whitesage

He could handle Tohopka's ridicule; it wasn't like he didn't put up with the horse daily as it was. But once it appeared he had gained an audience, Phoenix could feel his ears pin back to his skull, if even for a moment.

The chuckling was deep, relatively lighthearted; he couldn't outright hear malice, and honestly, he couldn't blame this guy for laughing at him. Should the situation be reversed, the cowboy would be having a field day seeing such a sorry sight.

Right now, though, it really wasn't all that funny.

He planted his legs into the dirt then and one hand snaked to the back of his neck, embarrassed, while his other planted on his hip. Returning a little laugh of his own — it was admittedly with much less vigor than the stranger's — he racked his brain for some sort of recovery, escape plan, anything.

"Yeah, uh, you could say that," he answered good-naturedly, trying to wear an amicable smile, but it probably came across as more desperate than he would've liked. Toh lifted his head to get a better look at the stranger, but when he deemed the man not as interesting as the grass at his feet, he turned away again.

"This ain't my ideal way of meetin' someone, but, well. Here we are, stranger." He laughed again, this time genuinely, as the ridiculousness of his folly overshadowed his humiliation; it was just plain silly, after all. A little painful, too, but mostly just stupid. Besides, he was offering to help, and that was a good start.

"If you can help wedge this lil' piece here open, I think I can squeeze outta there," he told the man, green eyes meeting orange. "'M Phoenix, by the way. Thanks fer stoppin' by."

Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
veldt
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:47 pm

OOC: Apologies, took a while for me to notice that you had replied and I've been too busy to get a reply out.

IC:

The fence was older than all present, though Aenan doubted Pheonix was the first to be in this situation with the barrier. The age of the wood would mean it’d be easy to break and pull from the wire that held it in place. The one caveat was the man’s tail, he didn’t want to hurt the fellow canine. Hopefully he wouldn’t pinch Pheonix’s tail any further. “I’m Aenan,” he introduced himself as he approached, his smile becoming a bit more gentle and sympathetic. “No need to be too embarrassed, we all get into these sort of situations,” the tall wolfdog explained, speaking from a lifetime of experience.

Aenan placed his hands on the top of the fence, trying to get an idea of how coyote fella was stuck. He noticed the wire, something he could only push and pull. Perhaps if he was smith he’d have the tools to break the metal strands, but sadly he was only a fisherman. “Should look for easier ways around, instead of hopping over fences.” he advised. “You’re lucky the wire isn’t barbed.” Carefully he applied pressure to the old pickets. Some wiggled, others were jostled free. The ones trapping the man’s tail, however, were a bit more stubborn. “I’ll do my best, hopefully, we don’t need to cut anything off,” he said lightheartedly, though the joke was a little morbid.

Aenan tugged on the wire a bit, trying to loosen it to move the board. He knelt, his knees popping in protest, but he was determined to help this stranger. Tugging on the wire, Aenan tried to loosen the wrap around the picket so he could move it. Wedging sticks under the wire, he aimed to remove the constricting coil from the picket. One by one the sticks slowly tugged away at the wires, pulling them from the piece of wood that kept the coyote man's tail pinned. “Here goes,” he muttered, slipping his fingers between the boards. He pushed it away and looked up at Pheonix. “Try getting out now.”
Loners
Wolfdog
Scott
Luperci Home is wherever there is you. They stole my dirty socks... :(

POSTED: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:32 pm

no worries, i've been caught up myself, ha ha. [+300]
phoenix whitesage

The older man was gracious, perhaps a bit amused by the situation as made evident with his chuckle, but a kind enough fellow nonetheless. Aenan, he said his name was. "Nice t'meet ya, Mister Aenan." Phoenix had never put much thought into the sort of man that would one day save his life, but the wolf that stood before him now was the embodiment of heroism as far as the coymutt was concerned.

He did some preliminary feeling around to get a better idea of how to proceed, and from there he tried pushing on different parts of the fence, giving the younger man some lighthearted advice. "Yeah, was Toh's idea," he answered weakly. "'M glad I'm the one t'get stuck rather than him, though." That would have been an entirely different ordeal if the stallion had gotten trapped instead; Phoenix liked to think he was handling this rather well, but the horse would have freaked, surely, and probably hurt himself further.

His stomach dropped a little at the joke, but he did his best to force out a laugh anyway. He tried picturing himself tail-less and it only served to further his growing anxiety.

Aenan got to work, and he worked his fingers into the groove, providing a bit of wiggle room — just enough for Phoenix to rock his tail back and forth, slowly making progress. He prayed that he wouldn't get some godforsaken splinter in his tail, and finally after a bit of prodding and patience, the appendage popped free from its prison, garnered a huge sigh of relief from Phoenix. "Thank god," he breathed, letting his tail hang limply. "Ho boy, that would've been bad if that didn't work."

It was sore, but otherwise fine. He glanced back at his savior with a grateful grin, and he chuckled again. "Thanks. I owe you one, Mister Aenan," he gushed, reaching around to massage his tail where it had been trapped. "You really did me a solid there."

Mistfell Vale
Hawkesond
veldt
Luperci

Northern Tides