Waiting for a light that never comes

AW | Gaspesia

POSTED: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:26 pm

Thread Setting & Prompt Generator wrote:It's early morning in Gaspesia, and the clouds look amazing. Your character has found some unusual bones buried in the ground.

She rose early, long before the night had grown weary and was ready to concede the sky to the day, and slipped from Merlin's solid comfort to embrace the biting cold of winter. He would miss the warmth of her body, she knew, but only for a brief moment of sleepy half-realization. After all, she was doing her mate no favors by continuing to toss and turn against him, so elusive was her ability to find rest. thus she had chosen to join the countless other sleepless creatures in their inky, star-pocked world.

A cloud of breath billowed from between her lips and curled around the top of her nose. Giving her pale pelt a healthy shake, the pale Dawnbringer adjusted the poorly-made satchel against her shoulder and twisted her neck to gaze across the territory towards where Rhovanian lay. For several moments, she argued with herself over Baldr. Should she wake him to trek with her through snow and ice and cold to places unknown? Or let him be where he was among the other hoofstock and within this new home he was still becoming familiar with?

Breathing out again, Thyri turned her head away from the direction of Rhovanian again and began to run.

There was no need to drag Baldr – old, sweet, gentle Baldr – out on this impromptu journey of hers, not when she had no destination in mind and little direction to speak of. All she knew was the she needed something occupy her roiling mind and that there were no official healers within New Caledonia. And while Thyri had brought some physical supplies with her, her collection of medicinals was sorely laking.

And so she ran, allowing her legs to carry her past the borders of New Caledonia and south towards Gaspesia, where she hoped she would find something useful. But with winter only an arm's reach away, the cranberries had all passed their time of harvest and there were no longer any tender leaves or flowers to collect. Thus, without these things, there was little else to seek out but willow bark and pine resin and mountain maple piths and that was what Thyri sought now – willow bark for its ability to help reduce fever and lessen pains; pine resin to treat infections and worms; mountain maple piths to address irritation.

She ran until the horizon split open against the rising sun, turning the sky into brilliant shades of pastels. And then the thick forest of Gaspesia swallowed her whole and finally she slowed, turning her head to sniff out the unique aromas of these three important trees. She stopped at the first maple she found, considering it momentarily before stepping forward. But as she neared, something obtrusive poked up between her toes from the ground beneath and gave her pause.

Crouching, Thyri brushed the snow away from her feet and began to dig at the half-frozen earth and attempted to pry the off-white, greying bone poking out from the ground beneath.

OOC: Open for one! I'd also like to use this thread towards Thyri's Apothecary I co-rank with the following prompt: "Scout for and harvest herbs with applications for healing, seasonings, and/or poisons."

[WC — 505]

New Caledonia
Privileged
Mandi
Mate to Merlin Apothecary I Ægishjálmr: Helm of Awe
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

POSTED: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:20 am

Optime | Gaspesia | NPC: Xanthos (+453)

Argive’s scent is disguised; smelling mostly of mint and pine.

Stealing~ >:D Used this for reference for winter herbs/goodies to find!

The journey beyond the Kingdom’s borders was one of a small few that the Associate had allowed himself. He had finally settled in, had finally found a home suitable enough for his needs and work. His belongings were still little, and his supplies in medicine were less than he would have liked. Though the pack had a good handful of dried herbs in stock, Argive wanted more variety to choose from, options. Such was limited currently. Unfortunate, it was, that he hadn’t stumbled across the rumors of the Kingdom sooner.

He had ridden out on his dark steed a few days before, scouring the foreign, snow-touched land for anything that might have been promising. He had found only a few items to bring back, though, it was still much more than he could have been hopeful for given the time of year. The first snow had killed off whatever hardy cold-weather herbs that might have remained.

Of all that he had found thus far though, his most exciting find had been a hawthorn tree that had yet to be ravaged by waxwings. Its branches were still abundant with bright red berries, and Argive had been allowed to take as much as he wanted. The plant was a dual purpose one; the berries and leaves could be used for a variety of things, though, were most commonly used for aiding digestion and intestinal worms. The seeds, however, were poisonous if consumed, and caused a slew of interesting side-effects.

It suited his profession perfectly.

Argive knew better than to be greedy, and had turned Xanthos to make their journey home. The morning was still young when he had come across the sight of a crouching figure in the distance. Her—going by the scent—presence in the area had nearly gone unnoticed thanks to the thick coverage of trees and snow, and, by the time he had seen her, it was too late to steer Xanthos onto a different path. To do so now would look likely make him look suspicious, especially if she had heard the stallion’s approaching footfalls beforehand.

So, Argive decided to maintain his heading, and had even veered his horse’s path to intersect the woman’s. Who knew? Perhaps she might have known a good place nearby to scavenge if the satchel that hung from her shoulders was anything to go by.

“Good morning!” He hailed, wanting to give the appearance of someone non-threatening to avoid unnecessary trouble. Argive gently pulled Xanthos to a stop within a few feet of the golden-furred wolf. “Something particularly interesting there?” He asked, nodding to the ground that she had been digging at just moments before.

Argive Hemlock

Signature Mini by Despi
Salsola
The Family
Songbird
Luperci Veleno

POSTED: Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:14 am

Bones.

Lifting the prize that she had dug up from the near-frozen earth, Thyri considered it with guarded scrutiny. It gave her a vague sense of something familiar, like the way dreams often mimic real life, and she shifted her weight subtly as she turned it gently between her fingers. It reminded her of the mandible of a deer, except it was much too short, much too blunt, much too different. She didn't like it, she decided uneasily, but it had already wormed its way into her life and commanded her curiosity.

She was lost under its spell, until the familiar pounding of hoof falls interrupted her reverie and allowed her to break free. Twisting her stunted ears towards the sound, Thyri noted the steady approach impassively before turning her head towards the horse and rider.

When the rider spoke, the pale Dawnbringer rose. "Good morning," she replied flatly, forgetting for a moment the U-shaped item she had discovered until the man asked after the disturbed earth beneath her feet. Thyri's eyes drifted to the bone, clasped now between her place fingers. "Interesting, sure," she began agreeably, glancing back at the stranger. "But nothing particularly useful." Stretching out her fingers, she allowed the item to slide from her grasp back down to the earth below.

She had not left her mate's warm side and the safety of her new pack for a few useless bones, after all. There were more important things to seek out.

"My interests lie with medicinal plants," she continued. "Not old bones." Turning fully to the rider, Thyri considered him silently while the birth of a new day ignited the sky in hues of violet and tangerine and downy gold. But she missed it, her attention fully captured by the strange rider. "I'm not trespassing, I hope?"

OOC: YAAAAAAAASSSS.

[WC — 307]

New Caledonia
Privileged
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

POSTED: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:00 am

NPC: Xanthos (+320)

She turned to him, and he couldn’t help but to notice the scars that boldly marked an otherwise pretty face. Four parallel lines that ran from her left eye to her right cheek. Even broken as they were, they had a consistency to them that made him surmise that they were the work of another’s claws. How lucky the woman had been that she had not lost either eye to whatever incident had caused the old wound.

The woman’s greeting was not warm or overly friendly. It certainly beat the alternative though, which would have been for the woman to attack him, be it verbally or physically. He could handle a neutral reception, would gladly accept it over a confrontational one.

She dismissed whatever it had been that she had been looking at, abandoning it and letting the small item drop from her grasp before she continued. His ears pricked at her words, and his eyes narrowed a fraction. Medicines? “Is that so?” He had yet to meet another Luperci outside of the Kingdom to delve in a similar field as he. Traded in herbs, swindled in mysterious powders and vials of supposed remedies, yes, he had met and heard of plenty of those.

Where did she fall? Was she merely someone looking for an easy barter or someone who actually knew what she was dealing with?

“Not at all,” he reassured her with a curling, fox-like smile. “I’m in search of healing herbs as well. One can never be too careful out here.” She was strong looking, he noted as she turned to fully face him. Feminine, but, muscular. With any luck, their encounter would remain a peaceful one. “Are you searching for anything in particular? I believe I passed some mint back there—” He jerked his head to indicate where he and his steed had come from. “—but, I have plenty already collected.”

Argive Hemlock

Signature Mini by Despi
Salsola
The Family
Songbird
Luperci Veleno

POSTED: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:23 pm

High atop his horse, looking down at her with eyes that reminded her distinctly of tender young grass reborn after a long and terrible winter, Thyri could feel herself stiffen. The act of it was subtle – a gentle setting of her jaw here, a near-imperceptible clenching of her abdominal muscles there – and done instinctively. There was nothing in the way he behaved or smelled or addressed her that suggested a threat, but still she felt vulnerable. Unhelpfully, she wished desperately that she had her Dane ax with her. Then she would feel better.

She regarded him more closely. "It is," she confirmed firmly, proudly, her pale eyes on his dark face. He had a strip of rusty ochre that brought to mind Merlin's terracotta markings and, with haste, she resisted the urge to relax. But when he spoke again, his voice smooth and calm, Thyri found herself fighting that urge with more difficulty.

Because it seemed that they had more in common than facial scars.

"No," she agreed carefully. "They can't." And then, pausing a beat to glance at the horse and back into his verdant eyes, she asked: "Mint?" Unblinking, she regarded him. "But I'm sure their leaves have been gone for a long while now. Do you know of a use for their stems?" She was partly curious, but mostly interested in ensuring that this stranger wasn't a fraud.

Thyri dipped her nose in a nod. "Willow bark, mountain maple, and pine resin," she answered. "Winter is a lean time for everyone, including apothecaries."

It did not go unnoticed how he had chosen to admit that he had been successful in his forage – either an indication of confidence or of trust – and Thyri tucked that piece of information away as she tipped her head out and gestured vaguely to his person. "What have you found?"

[WC — 312]

New Caledonia
Privileged
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

POSTED: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:02 am

NPC: Xanthos (+369)

She sounded doubtful, and, rightfully so. For the most part, plants did not survive in the bitter cold of the winter season. Perhaps she was suspicious of him being a snake oil salesman. “Their stems are just as good as the leaves themselves normally,” he nodded a smile. “In their died back state, they might not be as potent, but, if you’re still in need of their healing properties, a little is better than none.” He would never use the sad-looking stems in such a state normally, but, sometimes dire times called for desperate measures.

The woman offered him a group of names, and he gave a considering nod. The items she listed were not hard to find if one merely knew the region and where to look. They were certainly more plentiful than other medicinal plants and the like. Unfortunately for the pair of them, Argive was not familiar with the area, and had yet to see a willow or maple tree amidst his scavenging. Not that he’d been looking too hard for either though.

“It is,” he agreed to her comment regarding the lean season for those whose work relied on plants that had not shriveled up and died or lost the medicinal part of them. When she inquired about his findings, he turned slightly in his saddle, patting one of the bags that hung from it. He would indulge her, if only to allow the woman to maybe feel a little more at ease or trusting that they shared a similar field of interest. “Burdock root, birch bark, hawthorn berries. It’s not a heavy haul, but, I don’t want to be greedy.”

His sharp eyes shifted back to her. “Perhaps I could help you find what you’re looking for though?” Argive looked around them casually, as if considering a direction that might be more promising than the rest. “Two eyes and noses are better than one.” It would benefit him too to help her. It would be more to add to his spoils, and, who knew? Maybe she could impart some interesting information to him that he might not know of either about medicinal plants or the area in general.

Argive Hemlock

Signature Mini by Despi
Salsola
The Family
Songbird
Luperci Veleno

POSTED: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:25 pm

He had a fair point, she decided after a moment of thoughtful silence. If there was even a little benefit to glean from an otherwise deficient plant, surely that meager amount would be better than nothing at all. She nodded. "I agree," she replied, allowing herself to relax just enough to welcome alternative thoughts on the man. Perhaps he could be an ally in her pursuit of expanding her knowledge of herblore and her procurement of plants. Perhaps they could work together. "And I appreciate your sharing that knowledge with me."

Watching as he twisted in his saddle, the soft sound of his fingers against the soft surface of the saddlebag drew her eyes away from his dark figure. "No," she agreed, thinking of his choice of plants and their useful properties. "It doesn't do to be greedy." And, shifting her eyes back on the stranger, Thyri decided to take a chance.

"I think," she began, a small smile lifting her cheeks after another moment of careful of contemplation. "That I would appreciate the help, thank you." After all, there was much to benefit from, both for themselves and for the people that they helped to heal, when apothecaries set aside their fears and worked together as a single unified force. "My name is Thyri Dawnbringer," she offered. "A Commoner of New Caledonia."

She waited expectantly for his introduction.

[WC — 230]

New Caledonia
Privileged
Mandi
S K J A L D M Æ R
trouble is a friend
holy branches

Northern Tides