fifteen flares inside your ocean eyes

[AW; Burnt Church Mountains]

POSTED: Sun May 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Just after dark, along the southern edge of Burnt Church Mountains. Anyone welcome c: (+500)

She had stopped only because she could not feel her toes.

Ocèane wondered if it was because she was cold; but she was only chilled in the early night, and not enough for any of her extremities to become numb. She wanted to think it was because her feet had become tired of their place on Evadne's stirrups, but that was wishful. Should this be due to her illness, it was a symptom she was unfamiliar with. Shifting the poncho-like garment draped across her shoulders, the dancer only continued a few minutes more until she located a rocky dent in the shadow of one of the last mountains of the range. It had taken the majority of the day, but they had cleared the Burnt Church Mountains. Ocèane dismounted from Evadne, and after giving the mare a drink and removing her horse tack, she roped her to a scraggly tree to graze and then began to set up camp. It was a measly little thing, but it had done her well the past weeks of her journey. A fire, a small teapot, a rabbit, and a sleeping bag stitched from furs were the possessions she laid out. She sat on the sleeping bag, as close to the fire as her figure would allow. It took a long time for her to regain the feeling of her toes.

As the last rays of the setting sun were swallowed by the velvet sky of nighttime, Ocèane prepared the kettle with her soothing tea and then set about skinning and gutting her rabbit. She removed her garment and stuffed it at the top of her sleeping bag to be a pillow and then began to pick at her food, staring at the dancing fire and trying her very hardest to chain her mind far away from dark things. She did not have to try for long, because eventually a weight appeared very suddenly on her shoulders. Aedus slithered down the arm of his companion to curl up in white coils atop a hot stone near the fire, cobra fan wide to be warmed. "I do not understand why it is you love the warmth so much. Are you not a spirit guide? You don't require food or shelter or anything a mortal serpent would." She had asked him this many times before, but it was a conversation that humored the pair. Aedus simply flicked his tongue and wiggled his long neck. "Silence, love." He said affectionately, uncoiling lightly to glance into her pot of tea. "I do not want to be silent." Ocèane said, and the cobra returned his attention from his wanderings, meeting her gaze with eyes far too deep and intelligent for any snake. "I know." Despite it all, they fell into the silence they both were loathing, as they had exhausted every thing there was to speak about. Every topic seemed to turn to something dark and unwelcome, so all that Aedus could do to remedy Ocèane was relay her the emotion of warmth he felt so close to her flames. She smiled at him briefly, wrapping her fingers tighter around her waterskin that was filled with tea, gaze wandering from the fire to the stars. At least the flames could lend them crackling to break the quiet.

Océane Aston

Ann
Luperci the rules of paradise are never nice
I want your fears, your hopes
the whole kaleidoscope

POSTED: Mon May 16, 2016 3:23 am

LITHIA NAPIER
all we do is think about the feelings that we hide

Tamed fires seemed to dot the lands of the north every night with loners wandering in from all kinds of places. It was both harboring and exciting to be able to be so close to the country’s edge. She both loved meeting the newcomers and the canines and creatures that once lived here only to return; but she also hated the nagging feeling she got in her gut every time she thought of the lands beyond the Burnt Church Mountains. Most of all, she thought of her father. It had taken her so long to convince herself that he was dead, but Lithia couldn’t lie to herself when faced with the truth she found in these forests. There was evidence that proved her father wandered this way and did not drown in the swamps like her mother and few of her former pack mates believed. She had seen it with her own eyes.

Wandering in the darkness towards the nearest shining campfire, Lithia thought of a time when pack life was good and carefree. Lately, it had just become drama and stress. Anathema attracted too much hate, too much danger. Anathema blocked her from many friendly encounters, and that threatened the very nature of her work. How was a spy supposed to collect information when she was recognized all over as an enemy?

Tonight, Totem was not with her, and the former Oriax hoped that she would not need to defend herself in a physical way. She had fighting skills, but she had doubt in them. She wouldn’t be able to save herself from a skilled fighter. Still, she approached the glowing fire and the brown-coated woman that had been watching the sky.

”I don’t think we’re in to see anything like the red star for a while,” she commented with a faint smile. ”Well, let’s hope not.” She could only assume the woman felt something from its fall. Everyone had to. It was massive. It did damage as far as the Eastern Realms. She was sure the States must have felt it, too.

”Mind if I sit with you to warm my hands? It’s pretty chilly out tonight.”

(300+) Hi! :)

Image: Me | Table by Sammiie

Salsola
The Family
Sammiie
Luperci Your poison taints my blood
hardest of hearts
and from it she fled

POSTED: Wed May 25, 2016 11:39 pm

THANK (+500)

Océane was not the only traveler among these woods. Loners or traveling pairs or trios were common-sight along the entrance to Nova Scotia, and even the nearest plume of smoke was within an hour's walking distance. But she would mind herself; they all had a silent agreement, the travelers, to stick to their business and keep their heads down. Beings came to the peninsula for a multitude of reasons; trade, curiosity, wandering - or family, such as hers. The dancer came to the recognition that she had crossed into these lands from the unknown one too many times. And she felt that she was not going to go back. The woman was born here, and here she would desire her bones to rest. Océane was not even terribly old yet; by no means was she young, but she was too young to die of illness so cruel. A lilt of a sight left her chest, encompassing her tired body and tired mind. Then she heard footsteps.

Her ocean eyes left their fixation on the sky to instead witness a shadow embodied part herself from the darkness of surrounding forest. Océane watched her with wariness, but no particular aggression. If she were to be mugged, all she had to give such a woman was rabbit meat and pouches of green tea. It wouldn't be a terrible loss- and maybe she would just die here and now, before ever completed her self-assigned mission. Perhaps that wasn't such a bad thing. But this shadow with burning violet eyes seemed to be friendly, noting where her attention had previously been held. After pausing and watching the woman for a moment longer, the dark-toned mother glanced back up to the ceiling of stars. "I heard that there was devastation, here. I hope as well." Océane had felt the impact of the red star, but it had been almost miniscule. All that had happened as far as Lac Sakami- where she had been residing in the west of Canada- was a very brief, very minor shiver of the earth. But when the red star had streaked towards the horizon, it was not lost on Océane that it was in the direction of her home.

The shadow asked if she could warm her fingers, and the dancer nodded, seeing no reason why. Undoubtedly, she would then notice the white snake coiled practically within the flames. Aedus rose his serpentine neck and displayed his cobra fan, more curious than hostile, though the spirit guide still seemed to be more wary than Océane was. "I am not hungry enough to eat a full rabbit." The woman nodded to the hot stone that had cooked strips of meat, a trio left. "You are welcome to some." Aedus glared at Océane, undoubtedly finding the action stupid because she "needed all the strength she could get", but the mother just glared right back. The snake vanished in a coil of white smoke, perhaps to go pout. "My spirit guide. He is rather... flighty." That was a lie, but she decided to run with it, watching the stranger all the while, with both curiosity and caution.

Océane Aston

Ann
the whole kaleidoscope

POSTED: Thu May 26, 2016 1:09 am

LITHIA NAPIER

She was welcomed openly, or at least as openly as a cautious wanderer would welcome her. Instead of being met with teeth or weapons, she was invited to sit by the fire. Lithia settled as close to the flames as she could handle, fixing her leather skirt and the weapons, bags, and canteens attached to it. She was offered rabbit meat, and looking up at the stone she noticed the white snake coiled up on the rock nearest to the flames. She questioned how it wasn’t burned, but pushed the thought to the side. Snakes were not creatures she understood.

Lithia’s gaze settled on the brown female, ”Thank you.”

When she looked back to the stone, the snake was gone. Completely gone. Yet, the woman’s words rang in her ears and something familiar popped into Lithia’s mind. Galilani.

”Spirit guide? You’re from AniWaya?” she asked, though she didn’t understand why the woman’s pack scent was absent. She also didn’t understand how they acquired and kept their spirit guides, and seeing a woman out in the wilderness with no pack and a spirit guide at her side confused her a bit.

(000) a shitty post. I was distracted :|

Salsola
The Family
Sammiie
hardest of hearts
and from it she fled

POSTED: Thu May 26, 2016 2:39 am

-- (+300)

The other was clasped with clothing far from overbearing, but it was hung with supplies. Océane could only be glad she had a horse and saddle bags to assist her in her travel, otherwise she would be in a much worse state. Even navigating through the forest on horseback was exhausting to her- how much worse would it be to walk the full way with all of your necessities either in your hand, around your waist, or on your back? Océane of old would have relished in the challenge. But that woman was very far away, fading away as the sickness ate at her. Her fatigue was far from an effect of age. It was of health, but she would tell such a thing to no one.

The shadow expressed her gratitude and perched herself as near to the flames as her mortal body would allow, clearly cold as she had earlier promised. Océane decided that any threat here was minimal. This woman could have probably managed to mug her quick and easy should she so wish, but she seemed inclined to accept hospitality first, and there was no tell-tale glint of instability to be found in her violet gaze. The knots in her shoulders loosed, and the mother allowed herself to return to a state of recuperation rather than winding up. The other female appeared to have a slightly confused expression when looking upon and then quickly beholding the vanishing of the snake, pieces clicking into place when she mentioned spirit guides but still apparently not satisfied with an answer that made sense. "I was. - Am." She thought she had earned the right to say that was her home, no matter how many times she disappeared or for how many months. She had always come back, and that promise had been kept even until now. "I have spent as many years out there as I have at home." The dancer then nodded to the low, sloping peaks of the Burnt Church Mountains in reference to 'out there'.

Océane Aston

Ann
the whole kaleidoscope

POSTED: Sat May 28, 2016 3:31 am

LITHIA NAPIER

”How is it out there? My mother had told me stories but… not enough to quench my curiosity,” Lithia asked, looking away after a moment and smiling. ”My mother said it was rough living outside of this country, and very different. Was it tough and different for you too?” she asked. Maybe it was a rudimentary set of questions, but they were questions that would give answers to store in the filing cabinets of her mind.

Lithia sometimes exercised her desires to see the rest of the world – if not a little bit of it. But then she thought of her life in this country and wondered what there would be out there that there wasn’t already here. She’d be so far away from all her family and friends. Sure, she might make new friends – but she’d have to leave all her old ones behind.

”It’s nice to hear that your pack understands your free soul,” Lithia said, turning her pink gaze back onto the woman. She smiled before she continued, ”With that kind of understanding, they’ll always accept and understand you.”

(000) ooc text here

Salsola
The Family
Sammiie
hardest of hearts
and from it she fled

POSTED: Sun May 29, 2016 12:49 am

-- (+400)

This stranger was curious. Océane had not met many travelers- or simple strangers, for that matter- that spoke with genuine interest of her adventures. The woman supposed that she must have been one of the pinned. Pinned by family, pinned by location, pinned by fear- or some combination of the above. The pinned had spent their entire lives within the realm of packs along this peninsula, and this proved to be the majority of the population here. Océane was sad for them, but she also envied them. Her step outside of the bubble had been a drastic turning point for the remainder of her life; she had met beings of alluring and repelling stature, and done things she never could have fathomed back home. There were sights so new and odd and strange that she could never explain them, and shadows of the world she never knew could be so absent of light. Her adventures had brought her maturity, but also heartache. She had been given children that she endlessly loved due to her wanderlust, but also a broken heart when the one she opened herself to spiraled into a dark, depreciating depression. She did not know what to tell this woman, because there were no words. Only feelings, and even those were muddled. So she gave her a short answer, that was not fully accurate. But it was all she could do. "Yes, endlessly." Océane took a slow, careful drink of her tea, her seafoam gaze cutting from the shadow of the mountains back to the violet eyes of her guest. "I cannot explain it and do justice. It is beautiful and wonderful, but also heartbreaking and terrifying." Why was it that strangers were easier to speak your heart to than those you had known for the longest time?

The other spoke again, this time a musing. The dancer listened carefully, and was silent many moments after the fellow lady's comment. She seemed so confident, but in fact she was very wrong. Her family was far from understanding her, even should they accept her. She lied anyways. "Yes, I suppose so." Océane capped her waterskin full of healing tea and rested it against her sleeping bag of furs, raising her arms to her hair to begin to twist out the adorning feathers of bluejay and dismantle the braids that styled it with elegance. As her fingers worked through the lank length of chocolate cascades, she spoke her name. "I am Océane. Who are you?"

Océane Aston

Ann
the whole kaleidoscope

POSTED: Sun May 29, 2016 7:33 am

LITHIA NAPIER

The outlands sounded as magical as they sounded dangerous. It both drew Lithia to want to leave Nova Scotia, and made her thankful that she had a safe, familiar home here. Benefits and contradictions. That was what the world was, and it seemed it would always be that way. These lands were that way too, as were the people in them, but just easier. There were friendly faces here – some familiar, some not – and everyone was nearby because the lands were smaller. With the gaping terrain of Canada or North America, Lithia didn’t know where she would start, travel to, or wind up. Would she ever stop traveling? Or would she remain on the move forever, never quite settling down?

”Sounds like an interesting place,” she commented, but the woman had fallen silent. Lithia watched her loosely as she found the bladder and drank from it. There was an impression of thought in her eyes, but her lips said nothing. It was not until a few minutes passed that she spoke again; this time more solemn than the last.

”Lithia Napier,” she offered to the woman. It wasn't often that Lithia gave her full name. For some reason, she found this woman to be very trusting – as if she could tell her anything and it would not come back to haunt her. Had she known Oceane was Amorette’s mother, Lithia would have felt entirely different. Skeptical even, maybe. ”What are you drinking?”

(000) ooc text here

Salsola
The Family
Sammiie
hardest of hearts
and from it she fled

POSTED: Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:22 pm

-- (+400)

It seemed as though they were both hiding things of note from one another, if unintentionally. Océane was very aware of the wars ravaging Nova Scotia before and during her absence. Anathema had needlessly attacked New Dawn, a peaceful pack who had done no wrong, as far as the mother was aware. Her feelings drew her to be angry, and perhaps even proclaim the dark pack as something of her enemy; but her familial ties would not allow it. Even at the current moment, her journey was leading her to Anathema and their murderous ways. She could not stop herself; she could not cease to love Amorette because of her affiliation. The dancer had not shared a word with her offspring for some time now, and perhaps the younger woman had no love for her matriarch, but Océane would not leave her without a word. Lithia's scent was well hidden, and the once-Aniwayan had no knowledge that she came from Anathema. Should she, however, questions after the wellbeing of her daughter would have undoubtedly followed. And should Océane reveal that she was the mother of Amorette, Lithia's packmate and apparent source of many contentions, the conversation would have been very, very different. But hide these things without intent they would, and so they were just strangers met in the wind, unimaginably close in ties but perhaps never knowing it. How ironic it was.

Océane simply nodded at the violet-eyed shadow's comment concerning the other world. It was an understatement, but true enough. Her name was then revealed- Lithia Napier- and despite Océane's age and native origin to such a place, it did not ring a bell as many did. A nod was what she offered in acknowledgement of the other, followed by the running of pavlova fingers through lank brown hair. The braids fell unceremoniously out of place, and as she worked, content with the silence broken by the crackle of the fire, the guest spoke again. Océane glanced down to her waterskin and paused, removing her hands from her hair. "Green tea." She lifted a shoulder, picking up the warm container. "I do not like it much. Have you ever taken of it?" The dancer asked, seafoam eyes curious. Not many seemed to have ever partaken of the substance before, and she was always eager to find the opinion of the few others that may have tried its bitter taste.

Océane Aston

Ann
the whole kaleidoscope

POSTED: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:41 am

LITHIA NAPIER

Even if Lithia did not realize it, Oceane’s fur was much like Amorette’s. Same colors, same hues, but not the same markings. If Amorette had been fresh on Lithia’s mind, she may have been able to make the connection; however, the woman had been far from her mind lately. She, Kentaro, and all their children seemed to keep their distance, and for Lithia, it was for good reason.

”Green tea? Heard of it, but never tried it,” she said, noting that she had heard of such things at the Outpost once or twice. But Lithia rarely drank anything other than water and occasionally wine. ”Why do you drink it if you don’t like it?” she asked, completely unaware of its healing properties and potential use to the woman.

Lithia was a trader and a spy, but not at all a herbalist. She knew little about plants, and even less about their properties. Even though she had heard of green tea at the traders’ depot, she knew nothing about its aid or uses.

(000) sorry for the shortish post!

Salsola
The Family
Sammiie
hardest of hearts
and from it she fled

Dead Topics