seep deep into my lungs

calia

POSTED: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:55 am

A strange scent tickled his nostrils and drew the curious canine away from the frozen reaches of the watershed. To begin with, Tristan had picked up a smattering here and there, a teasing dash against the trunk of a tree or the bent stems of previously-frozen plants. As a tracker, his dark emerald eyes had picked out these subtle changes in the forestry around him with ease. His skills were in the earthen realms, a tracker and scout who felt at home with the scent of a mystery on the wind or an unusual set of animal prints that promised to lead to something extraordinary. He wasn't one to boast, but his gut instinct was normally accurate and he followed his nose now in the hopes of finding something strange. While he excelled at tracking prey and scouting areas, he knew perfectly well that his hunting skills were only as good as the luck that was afforded to him. He wasn't the most skilled and solo hunting was always doomed to failure the majority of the time.

Covered over by layers of pelts that hid most of his body, it would have been difficult for anyone to pick out any discernible features, aside from the vivid green of his eyes and the wild mane of hair (white-streaked brown locks that reached far past his shoulders). The contrasting 'V' of darker brown upon his forehead alluded to the stripe that started thus and covered the majority of his back and sides, streaked with white around his shoulder blades and nape. Nobody would have been able to tell these little nuances of his appearance through the coverings that obscured him. The midday sun, a weak imitation of what he knew it could be, had resulted in the removal of the scarf that normally protected his face. It made tracking the scent easier when it wasn't sucked through the cloth. He estimated that the scent was several hours old and he was sure it wasn't canine in origin. Which meant it could belong to anything.

The valley stretched out before him, sparse on trees but beautiful none the less for being covered in ice. Soon enough, spring would wash across these lands and the single stem of river would swell with overflow from the melting mountain ice. No doubt this area would suffer from the excess; Tristan could see the lands being prone to flooding with its shallow and flat ground. He was good at reading the lands around him. The male dipped his body down, dark-backed fingers brushing against the outer edges of unusual prints that gave off the faintest wiff of the scent he'd been tracking. As he always did when he was coming to the end of a trail, Tristan felt his stomach muscles coil with latent excitement and emerald eyes lifted to scan the horizon, eager to find his quarry.

northerly aspect of the miramichi valley

Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)

POSTED: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:39 pm

ooc - Thank you for the starter :D

Calia

Though stubborn patches of snow still clung to the land, the day’s mild temperature was a promising indication that spring was on the horizon. Within the Vale, as the food stockpiles were replenished and hungry bellies filled, spirits were lifted. And the Nightstag was no exception from this infectious joyousness. During the worst of the winter season, the albino kept closer to home to oversee the production of the Vale in Winterwynd, aiding her packmates in settling into their new territory and patching up houses and dens.

But with the worst of the snow and ice in the past, the white furred woman choose to take advantage of these mild conditions and bring her goats beyond the borders, seeking suitable grazing grounds to return to once the rest of the ice crystals gave way to the earth. The scarlet eyed woman’s crook dug into the mixture of snow and dirt as she plowed along, her goats fanning out all around her. Stubborn beasts, they were, with thick coats able to withstand the worst of the Vale’s temperamental weather.

The animals also had a knack for rooting up vegetation from beneath the snow’s surface. Long since browned, these plants stored sugars within their stores for the whole season, which made them a delicacy to the goats. Eventually the shepherd and her herd came across a lovely valley, its gentle rolling slopes still slick with a crust of ice. Nonetheless, hooves and crook alike cracked through the weakening shell, revealing rich dirt beneath. Once spring graced these land, they would be a sight to see, indeed.

Little did the albino know was that she and her goats were not alone. Had it not been for the bleating of her goats, the woman would not have recognized the presence of the stranger in their midst. Being downwind of the Nightstag, Calia had to turn to face the male to catch his scent. Visually, her poor eyes did little to discern little more than a dark brown blob dancing on the horizon. And from what scents she could catch, the man did not affiliate himself with any known pack. A loner he was, then.

”Hello, there!” Calia called out cheerfully, making her way over towards the Stormbringer ”Fine weather today, is it not?” The albino’s eyes crinkled upwards in a friendly manner as she indulged in idle chit chat. Well, as of now, one sided chit chat.

”T’is my first time in this valley. What about you?”

wc 413
Mistfell Vale
Nightstag
El
Luperci Drakehund Tier I
Baa Baa Black Sheep

POSTED: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:12 pm

The crackle and crunch of ice, broken by the staff of one shepherdess and the excitable hooves of her goats, reached the males ears and he paused. It took a long time for him to place the sounds, given that he couldn't yet see the source and thought originally that perhaps there was some strange-legged creature was breaking through the ice. It would certainly set the scene for finding a strange creature out in the valley. But Tristan didn't have the wild imagination of his youth any more and by the time the pale female caught his attention on the horizon, he'd deduced that something must be coming his way. Emerald eyes assessed the girl from a little ways off, noting her very pale appearance and pink eyes that marked her as an albino. Tristan had once found an albino whale washed up on the shore; it had been ghostly and grotesque. This canine was neither of those and Tristan found himself keeping his gaze on her as she approached.

A cheerful reception, the chatty woman threw all she had in terms of small talk at him. He had to admire her enthusiasm. "The day is fine, miss." He agreed with an incline of his head. "My first time in these lands at all." He admitted, glancing around as if to suggest that he might have just popped into existence here. But it was the truth; he didn't have any experience with these lands. "Are you from around here?" He asked, attempting to return the friendly sentiment. His face might look consistently grumpy but inside he wasn't. His gaze was naturally drawn towards the goats that accompanied their mistress and he cocked his head in question.

northerly aspect of the miramichi valley

Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)

POSTED: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:11 pm

Calia

There the male stood, standing tall and stoic as the shepherd made her way across the frozen valley that separated them. The albino did not miss the man’s stare, though she made no comment on it. Unsurprisingly, the traits of an albino were just as rare in these lands as they were back in her mountainous homelands. Being an oddity was something that Calia could handle, embraced even. The shepherd soaked up whatever spotlight she could, and being revered as a rarity was something she prided herself in. Her boisterous attitude did nothing to offset her pale coat and crimson eyes.

At the Stormbringer’s proper etique, the curly haired woman released a deep belly laugh. ”Who ya callin’ Miss? I’m not the queen of the Court, honey!” The Nightstag teased, leaning casually on the handle of her crook ”Jus’ Calia will do fine.” A broad smile gracing her features, the albino took the time to study the man at this closer range. Such pretty eyes, Calia noted to herself. They were a rich emerald in color, greener than the pastures during the peak of spring.

”I come from jus’ over yonder!” Calia replied with a wild gesture towards the direction where she and her goats came from ”From my pack, called Mistfell Vale. The scent borders are fairly new, but ya’ can’t miss em if you walk this way for a bit.” At the other man’s poor attempt to return her smile, the Nightstag couldn’t stifle a chuckle that escaped her chest. T’is a shame that such a pretty face is so serious.

His gaze flickered towards her goats, a question in his eyes. ”All of these are mine, they are! Reared most of em myself.” Calia noted, pride evident in her voice ”Figured it was time to let em stretch their legs beyond the Vale, with winter comin’ to an end and all.”

”Oh! What shall I call you?” The Nightstag questioned, her ear flicking ”And where’d you come from, if your not from these parts?”

wc 337
Mistfell Vale
Nightstag
El
Luperci Drakehund Tier I
Baa Baa Black Sheep

POSTED: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:23 pm

A raucous reply caused dark ears to flicker briefly atop his crown, absorbing the jovial nature of the one before him; Calia. It was difficult for the male to understand such an overtly friendly nature towards strangers; even he who was friendly enough was wary of those he did not know. But her nature was infectious and after a moment he found a more genuine smile (albeit small) curving against his lips. "Calia is it." He agreed, an easy going shrug of his shoulders given. His interest lifted once more when she described her pack not too far from where they were. "Mistfell Vale? What are you about?" He asked, referring to the pack as a whole rather than her personally. He was interested, there was no denying. Perhaps the pretty white female would be able to tell him a bit more about her pack not so far away.

His questioning look towards the goats was answered in due time and the tiniest of frowns pushed his lips out. What were they for? Eating, eventually? His questions died on his lips when her questions came. "You can call me Tristan, or Tris, I don't really mind." He offered, body stretching slightly under the weight of his travelling cloak and the stresses of the journey. "I'm not from around here but my parents were. They were born into a pack called Vinatta." He wasn't certain how long Calia had been in the valley, whether Vinatta still existed or not. Perhaps it would be worth seeking out their borders, but it wasn't at the forefront of his mind.

<3

Mistfell Vale
Whalstray (NPC)

POSTED: Mon May 07, 2018 1:57 pm

Calia

”Ah! There we go!” Calia commented on Tristan’s slow, but ever growing smile in response to her jovial nature. Smiling in amusement, the albino chuckled and shook her head. Much better now! A smile fitted the stoic male far more appropriately than that neutral expression of his. The Nightstag took this as a small victory in letting the stranger open up.

At the Stormbringer’s inquiry, the white woman had to pause for a moment in thought. ”Well...the Vale is a place for someone to find their family, while also exploring what makes them different.” If that made any sense? ”Individuality and the freedom to learn is highly valued there.” At this, the Nighstag noticeably straightened up with pride. Calia was proud of her pack’s enigmatic behavior - for while such flexibility didn’t suit some who desired more rigid structure, it provided others the perfect opportunity to contribute to their Pack in the best way possible. And that was through their own passions.

”Ah, Tris it is!” The albino responded jovially, taking delight in the nickname that Tristan offered. Calia listened as the Stormbringer talked of a pack named Vinatta. ”I’m rather new to these parts myself,” the Nightstag admitted, shifting her crook to her other hand ”Can’t say I’ve heard of a Vinatta! Is it near here?” The albino was eager to know of her neighbors and where their borders lay.

wc 231
Mistfell Vale
Nightstag
El
Luperci Drakehund Tier I
Baa Baa Black Sheep

Dead Topics