mother told us not to go

POSTED: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:02 pm

Word Count → ??? :: exploring the land bridge connecting the mainland to the peninsula, late morning! would like someone who I don't currently have a thread with to join (preferably not SL characters either), no other restrictions! :>

Salt air stung his eyes.

The young bard walked the coastfront with measured steps, his watery gaze trained on the waves. The harsh shrieking cry of a gull punctuated each crashing reverberation. It wheeled overhead, a spot of dazzling white in a sky so fantastically blue that it might shatter down on him at any moment. Everything here smelled of the sea.

Malik Amaranthe was delighted by it.

All his young life he had lived near some large body of water. The briny blue was in his blood. Even in the rife stench of Portlands docks the sea had brought relief, bringing gusts of wind to scrub away the stink of heavy labor. The brothers had been only boys, just barely pretending at manhood, when they had first set out on their own.

But with the ocean nearby, Mal had never felt lonely.

It was the same here. Everything else was different - they had come looking for Krokar and found burnt, scarred ground beneath a layer of frost. The Troupe was everchanging, dynamic from one day to the next in spite of the routine of travel. The world itself seemed far less predictable, far less dependable, than it had been the last time Mal had stood on this shore.

But the sea was always the same. Or - Or, he thought it was.

The land bridge caught at the corner of his eye, loud and out of place. With nowhere else to be, the bard reshuffled the weight of the lute on his shoulder and headed toward it, gingerly favoring one side of his ribs.

The Troupe
Bard
Alaine
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:12 pm

Deep and clear, Pim lowed and Percy started against the side of a linden, its rough bark scratching at his back. Next to him, inquisitive, rather than cautious, a calico queen lifted her round head and stared at the approaching figure with a slow curling and unfurling of her ebony tail tip. Percival, too, saw the figure and, with a quickening of his heart, allowed his mind to race.

Keabetswe's flat voice chimed in his head: "It is important always to watch your surroundings."

Percy swallowed and straightened against the linden's unforgiving skin, trying to decide which was the most sensible decision in the split seconds that had followed Pim's moo: rise to his feet and face the strange head-on or sidle around the linden and hope its trunk could hide him. Almost as soon as he allowed himself to consider his options, though, the young Parhelion criticized himself.

With Pim out there in the open, what good would hiding do?

"Hello," he called out, rising to his feet. Though he tried to exude friendliness and neutrality, there was a cautious and mistrustful edge to his posture and to his eyes. Percival lifted an arm and smoothed his short beard between his fingers and thumb. "Sorry for my ox's interruption." He nodded to the landbridge and the ocean beyond. "Haven't you ever seen it before?" he asked, mistaking the man's interest in the landbridge for an interest the sea.

On her feet as well, Luath bounded toward the ocean-eyed man with reckless abandon but slowed when she neared, her long tail curled up into a question mark. Pausing to sniff in his direction, the young queen gave him a small meow before turning, her back arched as though in invitation of a scratch, then leaped atop the broad back of the brindled ox. Quiet now, Pim swung his whip-like tail lazily behind him and watched the man with dark eyes.

OOC: Descendants of Kokar? Check. Owners of castrated cattle? Check. These two definitely need to meet! :D

[WC — 329]

New Caledonia
Privileged
Mandi
Luperci we were infinite; there was no time in those days They stole my dirty socks... :(
timshel

POSTED: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:51 pm

Word Count → ??? :: YES HELLO!!! A NEW FRIEND APPROACHES

Malik turned on his heel crossly. "Mondo?" The beach was empty; No place for a big steer round and white as the moon to hide. Still, that lowing could only have been his bovine companion - the big lovable lumbering idiot must have followed him from camp somehow...

Sound had a way of echoing mischievously around the crashing of waves. As his bluegreen eyes scanned the crest of trees that bordered the shallow drop down toward the bay, he found after a moment the true source of the sound; A lone ox with big curling horns and a brindled flank. Lone but not a-lone. There was a bearded man there, too, almost hidden by the linden's sturdy trunk.

Mal froze on instinct, hovering indecisively. He was out in the open, less than a few meters from where salty waves rolled in to leave dark stains on the beach. He was too sore from an earlier beating to make a good run for it; Even the exertion of walking all this way had almost winded him, and the bard clutched at his aching side as nervous thoughts dribbled through his mind.

In the end the stranger decided it for him.

"Hello!" He raised one hand palm-out in an old traveler's greeting, a universal sign of friendliness, "Have I seen - Oh! No, I don't remember it being so raised when-" When I was a child, he almost said, but paused to watch the little cat as it investigated his presence.

There had been plenty of cats in Portland, most of them feral and half-starved. This one was pretty, glossy, and more than a little over-confident. In spite of himself, Malik smiled.

"Good company you've got there," It was hard to speak over the sounds of the water and the distance between them. The bard took a few careful steps closer, admiring the stranger's curious companions as he approached. "Does he pull your wagon?" He gestured toward the steer with interest. There was no sign of a cart or vardo nearby; Nor any hint of a group or a camp or a settlement that might further threaten him.

The Troupe
Bard
Alaine
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:37 pm

The round, warm presence of the other bovine – pale as aging snow – felt familiar and safe to Percival, whose nutmeg eyes drifted towards it curiously while he waited for a response. Thick as Pim, and of a similar size, the man's companion was a beautiful creature.

He looked back at the stranger quickly, his bushy brows knitted subtly as he rushed to work out the meaning of his response. Raised? "Yeah..." he replied uncertainly, nodding slowly despite his lack of confidence. "There was... uh... Well, something fell from the sky, I heard. A while ago." Before I was born. There had been many changes and some of Krokar's waterways had swelled, he remembered being told, but he thought that it had all gone down.

Glancing across the bay again, where the broken landbridge cut its jagged path across the salty waters, it dawned on him what the man was possibly referring to. "It's somethin' else, isn't it?" he mused, more confidence in his voice now. The mild consternation on his face had vanished. "But no good crossin' with these two in tow, I hear." That had been the word from his pa, anyway.

Safe atop the broad width of Pim's back, the calico queen watched the stranger and his steer with her ebony tail curled up around her toes, her pale jade eyes narrowed as though with silent judgement. Percival glanced at his ox admirably, patting his thin neck before turning back to the stranger with a small smile. "You too," he said lightly, giving his tail a small, slow dance.

But when the matter of a wagon surfaced, Percy had to shake his head. "He could," the young Parhelion began, remembering how Ilse had once used him. "But I don't got a wagon. I can ride him, though." It wasn't always the most comfortable, or terribly fast, but it was doable.

Considering the man a moment, Percival said, "I'm Percival Parhelion, by the way. And this is Pim." He patted the ox's brindled shoulder and the calico gave a croaking chirp. "Pff," he breathed humorously. "And that's Luath." And then, gesturing to the man's own beast, the younger man asked, "What about him?"

OOC: o deer sweet bby jeezus i am worst sorry i will be quicker now though <3 Also shit i just realized that Malik might actually recognize Pim? He belonged to a pNPC in Krokar before Percy got him. :O

[WC — 375]

New Caledonia
Privileged
Mandi
Luperci we were infinite; there was no time in those days They stole my dirty socks... :(
timshel

Dead Topics