soft place to land

POSTED: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:35 pm

It wasn’t often that Mateo shifted down onto four legs, but something in the way Ruckus had challenged him had brought him down into his secui form. Like this he was a scruffy awkward creature, with long willowy legs and a chest that remained thin despite the mane of fur about his neck. Ruckus was even thinner, with a thin tail that curled over his back like a whippet. Mateo trotted lazily, weaving his way through the long cattails that grew wild along the burbling creek that he had discovered.

The heat of summer made him feel lazy, and when Ruckus called for him in a throaty, high-pitched hunting call he could only roll his eyes.

It was too warm to run so fast.

When Ruckus emerged, his chest was covered in spatters of blood, and a fluffy bird hung from one corner of his mouth. In this form the dogs mixed breed heritage was more evident – his muzzle was thicker, and the dottings of his tattoos sprawled in dark whorls down and over his shoulders. Like this they were exposed, and not for the first time Mateo found himself wondering what the story was that lay behind them. With the weather warming Ruckus was more lively, unburdened by vests or layers of fur to keep him warm.

”Look what I caught.” He mumbled around the bird, spitting it roughly onto the ground that lay between them.

”Good work.” Mateo wagged his tail, before dropping his head to snuffle at a trail that laid between the grass. ”Come on! There’s more this way!”

Come hunt with some good dog bois!

Amanda
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:59 pm

HELLO

Their boredom lengthened as long as the passing days. Calrian couldn't recall one moment from the last, as if his memories had been melded together by the heat of the summer sun. How long had they been wandering, and how much longer could they last? The men of his troupe had grown listless, and they spent their days chasing food and shelter like common loners.

They weren't common, though. Someday the world would see that - he would make them see that.

Whether by nature or otherwise, Calrian was unable to abide the rising temperatures nor the indolence it imposed. He left for lengths of time with just his bow, rolls of parchment, and charcoal, determined to some yet unseen end. When he found the group again, they were often just as he had left them.

He had only a moment to dump his most recent acquisitions off at camp when he heard Ruckus' voice calling through the tall grass. He looked to the only Troupian there, who lounged in the shade of a tree with a stick of smoke hanging off his lip. Without moving the cigarette, Griffin said, They're hunting.

Calrian looked next at the abandoned garments strewn around the extinguished fire, and the question in his eyes made Griffin laugh. The old way. Or maybe they're fucking, I don't know.

Together, their ears bounced forward to catch Mateo's voice drifting through with a warm breeze.

Sounds like fun, he replied blithely. He noticed how Griffin's brows jumped up and his lips twisted with a smirk, though he didn't care. He stripped off his jerkin and trousers, belt and bracelets and earrings until he was fully unequipped. After this, he gave his fur a loose shake and began the process of shifting.

Hey. If you find a river or a lake or something, let me know, alright? Griffin scratched at the place behind his ear. We're out of water and could refill some of our stores. That, and our bud Mondo here smells like shit.

Water and a washing, duly noted, Calrian wagged his tail, You might consider a dip yourself, Captain.

If Griffin quipped a retort, Calrian didn't wait around to hear it. He was off into the cattails with just his tail waving through the top like a sail catching a swift breeze.

Back in the riverlands, they would often shift down and hunt through the shallows of the water. Although his father, the best hunter he knew and the man he admired most, used weapons of the new world, Calrian secretly relished the simplicity of their natural forms. His nose to the ground, he found his way to Mateo and Ruckus quickly. He let out a low woof of greeting as he came upon them. They were already setting off, and Calrian loped along to catch up.

What have we got, my friends? It had been some time since Calrian had seen either of them. He had much to share of his latest venture, but for now, he wanted to bask in their company. Deer? Hare? Fowl?

San
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:26 pm

The bird twitched as if it wasn’t dead and Mateo couldn’t help but make a face at the layer of spit covered feathers that lay before him. Ruckus appeared proud of himself, the thin whip of his tail wagging happily behind his back as he gathered the bird up in his mouth and prepared to head back to camp. Mateo had his mouth half open as if he was going to ask the boy something, but instead he was distracted by the doggish form of Calrian bounding enthusiastically toward them through the long grass.

”Cal!” Mateo greeted, allowing the thin plume of his tail to give a friendly wag, ”We’re hot on the trail, can’t you tell?”

Ruckus was rolling his eyes, stamping his too-large feet against the damp stones that lay hidden in the shade. Mateo was sniffing Calrian, circling him with a curious cant of his head as he continued to speak. ”Where have you been? Seems like forever since I’ve seen you-“ He straightened suddenly and glared, ”Is Griff forcing you to follow him around?”

Ruckus grunted, ”C’mon this way you foul lot.”

Together they trailed after the mongrel, and Mateo bounced in a happy trot alongside his friend.

”You know I’ve been doing a lot of scouting. Came across a group down south that may want us to play for them. They’re called the Coeur de… something.” He pricked an ear, ”And another Pack called Casa, they seem interested too. I’ve been talking us up!”

He wiggled his bushy brows as Ruckus gave a lowing call and gave chase after some wanton shadow.

”I even met a lady.”

Amanda
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:56 pm

these doofs!! 2cute4me

Calrian so loved happy greetings - especially when people were happy to see him. He paced around Mateo with his own nose twitching and his tail thrashing behind him. There were all sorts of smells on the Minstrel's coat, places and people whose image he could not bring to mind, which all the more intrigued him. Certainly Mateo felt the same, as his query indicated.

What? Cal laughed. No, I've been sco--- He whipped his head toward Ruckus, who was urging them along. Foul? I resent that, sir! he said with a springing step and a grin that suggested the contrary.

Tail whipping excitedly behind him, he let his mouth fall open in a doggish smile, panting off the heat of a summer's day. One of his ears flicked in Mateo's direction as he spoke, and the other folded back, catching the whir of cicadas in distant trees. It was easy to think in the moment that they had all the time in the world.

That's amazing news, Mat! I knew you were good for something, he teased, bumping shoulders with him. In truth, Mateo had been more than helpful when it came to drawing crowds. The boy liked to roam, and his nonjudgmental receptiveness was a winning point for many. Calrian knew he had neglected his duties in the pursuit of his latest scheme, and he felt terribly guilty for it. Without even asking, the Minstrel had stepped up to take on the burden of networking, letting Calrian focus on projects beyond their immediate survival. Truly, Mat, I'm grateful. Your help will be the reason we succeed, The Broker said.

It didn't surprise him either, what he said next. A lady? Calrian gasped, practically prancing beside him. Tell me more, Mateo! What is her name? What does she look like? When are you bringing home this lucky lady?

San
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:18 pm

Ruckus mostly ignored the pair of mutts as he zig zagged in front of them, his thick pit-bull muzzle parted each time he huffed a breath after an empty trail.

Mateo was happily soak up the attention that Calrian offered, allowing the feather of his tail to wag as the man explained his absence and the work that he was up to. ”You think so?” Mateo felt sometimes that his contributions to the troupe went less noticed – he was no valiant hunter or shy rogue. Mateo spent as much of his time wandering as he did within the camp, and he tried his best to buck the title of nobleman.

”Oh yes, the lady.” He allowed his brows to wiggle again, fluffing up his chest as Ruckus released a lowing bark – he had found something up ahead to chase after.

”Her name is Theodora. She is from a pack called Casa di Cavalieri.” He couldn’t help the little spark that illuminated in his eyes at the mention of her, ”She is beautiful!” Ruckus glanced over his shoulder at them, ”Hurry up! I found some rabbits to chase down.”

Mateo allowed his eyes a roll before glancing back at Calrian, ”I’m hoping to visit her soon, maybe bring her to meet the Troupe.”

Amanda
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:09 pm

Of course! Calrian grinned. Everyone had a role to play in Calrian's schemes, whether they knew it or not.

The Broker did not seem to heed Ruckus' attempts to reign in their attention, busy as he was pursuing his own leads. It wasn't surprising that a handsome fellow like Mateo had met a lady, but it did surprise him that it was a lady worth mentioning. In their male-centric universe, talk of the fairer sex (other than their beautiful courtesans) was rare. She must have been something special, he mused.

Then the name came, and it hit him like a landslide. Calrian peddled to a stop, his ears flopped fully forward. Theodora? he exclaimed, dumbfounded. I know her!

Memories of the wildling girl visited him like a torrent; her leg and the pouch of herbs (he still kept the gift she had given him), and the mountain where they once met to enjoy the view. If they were thinking of the same person, Calrian had to agree - she was beautiful. He could understand why Mateo might mention her.

How did you two meet? He laughed, And did I hear you say she's with the Knights? This was news to the Broker. He supposed he hadn't seen her in some time; she must have found her place in civilization. Thinking more on these connections, Calrian couldn't help but bump shoulders with the Minstrel again. Mateo, you sly dog!

San
Luperci

POSTED: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:46 pm

Mateo couldn’t help the look on his face at Calrians words. ”What? You do?” He barked a laugh, What are the chances?” He thought of the way that Calrian and Malik always talked about Lady Luck – how she influenced them all in ways that were beyond their understanding. Mateo was beginning to see the pieces of her that lingered in the Troupes work, though sometimes he wondered if she was similar to the muses that he so often sought out.

The Troupe made for a place that was rife with inspiration for the Minstrel.

”I met her at the Tavern! She actually helped Ruckus and I escape from a bar fight.” He laughed softly and glanced at the Amaranthe, ”You should have been there Cal, it was a riot. I almost got a black eye! Actually…” He was forced to scrunch his face as he thought back to the evening in question, ”I am pretty sure that Ruckus did get a black eye.”

He coughed, bounding slightly ahead as Calrian bumped his shoulder.

”I’d like to see her again! Its refreshing after hanging out with all you dogs.”

Amanda
Luperci

Dead Topics