Re: Holy light

P. Elva | Fiskebyn

POSTED: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:54 am

But I am fine with where I am now
This home is home, and all that I need

Milos watched as Elva shifted her weight from her knees to her toes and cocked her head at his question. As she thought, the Quartermaster waited patiently but carried on pulling at weeds so as not to pressure her into an answer. When she replied, he glanced up at her again and grinned. “Reckon ya could — seem t’ be doin’ all right so far,” he replied, and repositioned his own body to a crouch. “But d’ya want t’ be doin’ this?”

His voice kind but firm — a challenge for Elva to think of herself and her wants, her needs. Sen had had a difficult time with that, when they had first left the Barnes Estate. She was a quiet and complacent girl, not one to go looking for trouble like himself or her brother, Chaska. If she was given an order, she followed it dutifully. Once away from such expectations, Sen seemed almost wayward for some time, as though she didn’t know what purpose she now held in the world. It took joining Ayrin’s pack in Trillium Hollow for the girl to finally find value in herself and realize what freedom truly was.

Milos glanced out at the neat rows of plants — herbs, most of them, with others grown for their medicinal properties as instructed by Pepper. Last autumn, when he and Iroquois had helped to clear this patch of land from overgrown brush and saplings, Milos had put in a special request for the Farmer to plant herbs for his mate, Eliza. It seemed she followed through.

“See these?” he asked Elva, carefully touching one of the plants. He narrowed his eyes down at it and paused, realizing he had no idea what he was gesturing to. “Well, en’t sure what they are but that don’t matter. What matters is that all’a these plants’re useful t’ Krokar — whether for feasts’r medicines’r feed. Takes special dedication’n care t’ keep ‘em growin’.” Milos glanced back at Elva, smiling. “Reckon all of us could help out’n keep ‘em alive, but th’ way I see it, as a freewoman, ya outta do th’ things ya wanna do.”

Brushing his hands together, Milos dislodged some dirt and rested his elbows on his knees. “Its okay if ya en’t sure what ya wanna do. Keep followin’ us lot around, get a feel for what feels good t’ ya. Reckon shadowin’ Ilse’d be a good place t’ start.” He offered Elva a friendly wink.

[WC — 421]

HERE COMES THE SUN

Krokar
Quartermaster
Mandi
Moderator Luperci Mate to Eliza Drover, Leatherworker, Tailor Little Bandit
can you pull down the dawn?

POSTED: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:23 am

She's way too suspicious of this niceness | [433]

She did not move. She did not make sound. She barely even breathed, yet something in her shifted at his challenge. The set of her jaw or the light in her eyes that still didn't quite meet his, whatever it was made her seem like a deer caught in a predator's sights rather than the peaceful woman just heartbeats ago.

Wants, wants, wants - they weren't necessary so why bother? It didn't matter what she wanted, he knew that. Surely he knew that right? He was a Quartermaster, a figure that loomed over her despite the even height she had on him. Didn't he know that his will was all it took? If he so much as nodded, she'd do as he asked, what did he need from her that he felt fulfilling her 'wants' was important.

Swallowing down the great restraint she'd been taught all of her life, she mumbled, "I do not understand." And so he answered her, albeit in a roundabout manner. A soft exhalation of air - the closest she ever got to a laugh - and a softening around the eyes was the only sign she gave of listening. Her red eye caught the dirt that fell from his palms and for a split second she saw his golden eyes with her own. "And what if I do not know, even after following?"

Elva's mind was constantly questioning, wheels always spinning. What if she never settled down, what if she never found a place to fit, what if she never stuck with anything, what if, what if, what it? Ilse remained silent throughout it all and when the golden hybrid glanced her way, she saw the wolfdog pointedly looking away with a soft smile. Elva's own eyes narrowed at it. Did they know something that she didn't?

"Why?" It was a loaded question with no clarification, because clarification would be meaningless. She wanted to know the answers to all of her questions, but by leaving it open, she left it up to him to interpret. What did he think it most important to tell her? If she narrowed the question, she narrowed the answer. It was an easy trick, but one she used sparingly lest she be caught in the act.

Finally, she looked back up at Ilse, head cocked to the side. Elva stared openly, always sure to look away when the woman turned her way. "I will follow, if she will have me." Because this was all a game right? The Quartermaster became the Chess Master and it was better to be a servile pawn than an unruly knight.

[/quote]

Krokar
Greenhorn
Kris
Luperci Distracted from relevance

POSTED: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:38 pm

Something in her shifted and dislodged itself from the tranquility of just moments ago. Her eyes, red as a dying fire, did not meet his and she was quiet for a long time. Milos waited, comfortable with the silence. He would not easily give up his efforts to encourage the former slave to live — to embrace freedom for what it was and live a life made of her own interests, needs, and desires.

When at last her voice broke through the silence surrounding them, augmented only by the soft sounds of fragile roots being pulled from earth and tossed aside, the Quartermaster was only too glad to offer an explanation. The sound of breath slipping between lips urged his sunny eyes to fall upon her face and he watched as the muscles softened around her own ruby eyes. He brushed dirt from his palms and crouched, watching her with a small, knowing smile.

"Then ya make your own path," he replied simply, the corners of his eyes wrinkling gently, kindly. He allowed his cheerful gaze to drop before it shifted to the Farmer nearby. Ilse worked deftly and without evidence of having heard them, though Milos thought that she was only being courteous. He was doing nothing to keep their conversation secret.

This was proven true when the auburn woman herself answered Elva's open-ended question. "Because," she began, glancing sidelong at the pale ex-slave. "You are more than the lies that have been fed to you by your master. You are a woman worthy of many things — you deserve to discover those things for yourself." Milos watched Ilse as she spoke, slowly turning his attention back upon Elva as her voice faded away.

"Ilse was a slave once, too," he said after a time, the small smile still on his face belying the sudden sadness in his eye. "Think th' two'a ya would make good company." And when the Kai woman addressed Ilse, the Farmer nodded. "I will have you," she replied for herself. "I will show you all there is to farming, if this is what you desire. But first, there are still many weeds yet to be pulled." And she looked pointedly at Milos, who grinned a sheepish grin and dug his knees back into the earth before bending to continue pulling up weeds.

OOC: Milos has all the patience in the world. ;D

[WC — 390]

HERE COMES THE SUN

Krokar
Quartermaster
Mandi

POSTED: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:12 am

Can we close this up within the next post or two? | [440]

No matter from which angle she looked at it, Elva couldn't decipher the black Quartermaster. Time and time again he had proven himself to be one who didn't abide by the rules of her past. He accepted her into his pack without knowledge of any quantifiable skills on her part and then proceeded to let her pick an entire house to call her own. He hadn't seen to it that she was made to work to fulfill any duties he had believed her capable of. This was the first time she'd been called upon to help and even then he'd asked her before he took her.

His 'simple' answer was far from that. Her eyes narrowed in an effort to understand. An effort made in vain. So, she would test his limits. "And if that path was worthless?" There were two parts to this. One was to question just how far Milos would take this charade - or what she believed to be a charade. The second was to probe a genuine interest she'd had for as long as she could remember.

It had begun upon the captain showing her her first compass rose. It was such a needlessly beautiful addition to the simple map he'd shown her that she found it difficult to look away. Later, on a night she was granted allowance to read from his collection, she opened her first book on botany to figure out just what this 'rose' was and if it was anything like what she'd seen. And so began the obsession.

"What if I wanted to plant roses? Not for any real reason. Just to plant roses." Would you allow such frivolousness? Would you allow me to create beauty for beauty's sake? Elva wasn't certain whether she more longed or feared a positive answer. One dirty hand brushed against the pocket that held the garnet lump.

For the first time since her instructions, Ilse spoke up. It left her more bewildered than before, even after Milos's attempt at an explanation. "I have done nothing to be worthy..." She had never accomplished anything in her life. She hadn't mastered sailing, she read her free hours away. She couldn't consider herself a distinguished maid by any means. Instead, she found herself bewilderingly a novice in so many skills, but a master of none.

Maybe I can fix that though. At Ilse's urging, Elva nodded an affirmation. She would learn this skill from her at least. With a silence that was only marginally less peaceful than before, the newest Krokaran dove back into her work, heedless of the new sores her hands would bear in the morning.

Krokar
Greenhorn
Kris
Luperci Distracted from relevance

POSTED: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:59 am

Milos laughed, a soft and kind sound, and smiled more brightly at the pale Greenhorn. "En't no worthless paths in Krokar," he said with a wink. "Reckon you'll find that out th' more ya shadow folk 'round th' pack." His suggestion to do so was based on two hopeful outcomes: one, that Elva would be get an idea what kinds of duties and paths were offered in the pack and two, that the Krokarans she met would help to build her confidence and self-esteem. He had faith both in his packmates and in Elva. She would succeed here.

The Quartermaster considered her request before glancing up at Ilse, who merely shrugged. "Can't see why not," he replied, looking back at Elva. His eyes lit up brilliantly an instant later and his mouth cracked open in a broad grin. "In fact, I'll bet ya Ilse'd help ya plant some outside your cabin'f ya want. Ya could have some out here an' closer t' home that way." Ilse nodded silently. "But you will need to find seeds," she said. "We do not have any in our storage."

Ilse watched Elva for a long time after she spoke of worth and self-discovery before responding to the woman's sad words. She pointed down at the weed-free space around her, then at the pile of weeds she had pulled. "Yes you have," she argued. "That is worthy. Now, come -- let us keep it up. These plants will not get far with all these weeds still in the ground."

Milos bent his head and ripped up weeds, glancing sidelong at Elva with a smile.

OOC: Sure! Feel free to request archival after you read this post. <3

[WC — 278]

HERE COMES THE SUN

Krokar
Quartermaster
Mandi

Dead Topics