Flavours of fall

POSTED: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:55 pm

Even sheltered inside, Everett could not escape the chill of autumn. Protected by a full coat of silver and snow, and the combined stone and wood of the Courthouse, this should have been enough of a bulwark against the cold. His pale nose twitched as a ticklish sensation formed, and swiftly covered his muzzle with a handkerchief as he sneezed. The male sighed, the breath ragged from his throat. With the soiled cloth tucked away into a pocket, he focused on the pack's food stores.

Arctic eyes scanned the various containers, as a hand swept across their surfaces. His nose sorted through the aromas of foodstuffs, and he let his senses guide him toward those he knew to have warming properties. Jars of sweet cinnamon sticks, warming ginger, sage, rosemary, mace and nutmeg gathered together on one side. Everett smiled as he lifted a sealed container of sage and surveyed it; he had been taught the leaves could provide many benefits to one's health. From fertility to digestion and the effects of the common cold - the scholar was certain Casa would gain.

Everett returned to the kitchen and placed his supplies down upon the worktop. His tail wagged as he stepped into the warm room, lit by both candle and hearth. The heat was a welcome tonic to the bite of the falling temperature that had settled into his bones. The threat of a seasonal illness had spurred him into action. Labour, and being able to prove himself was the cure for his ails. The male dipped his hands into a bucket of soapy water he had prepared earlier, and dried them upon a rag. Hunks of game meat laid on a wooden chopping board as he straightened them out by hand. When he was satisfied, he started to chop the provisions into smaller cuts.

Everett Moreau

Today is where your book begins; The rest is still unwritten.

Everett Moreau

Art Credit: Skizophrene
Casa di Cavalieri
First Officer
Ketsuki
Luperci Scholar
THAT'S IT! ~

POSTED: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:51 pm

Winter was upon Nova Scotia and Iorek missed the spring and summer. The cold couldn't penetrate his thick coat that had only thickened in preparation for the winter moons. There were no herbs to gather, no flowers to pick, and he hoped his flower crowns and the herb stores would last. He liked the greens that came from the spring and summer; the white of winter reminded him of when he was born, though. But, he also remembered memories of his childhood, memories of his mother. The wolfdog wandered within the castle since he didn't know what else to do.

The massive medic still wasn't familiar with the layout of the Fort. He knew where the residence rooms were, the library, and a few other random rooms but he still had a tendency to get lost if he wandered off course. Though, he knew that he wouldn't be truly lost in here. This was a building, there was always someone he could follow or he would wander back up to a familiar place. He spent a lot of his time outside of the Courthouse and in the Medico Office, but the feral nurse hadn't been down here.

The brown behemoth worried about the upcoming cold times and a certain pack mate. Jace was with child and it was hard carrying children at her age. He feared that sickness would strike at any time, and without the green herbs in the winter, they would be reduced to stores. And with their large pack, the chocolate-saddled brute could only hope the stores would hold.

The crimson-eyed Cavalier smelled food and herbs as he walked in. He was in his Optime form and wore a simple daisy chain on his head. He still had his satchel and bandages around his forearms. He looked around, seeing jars and other things he couldn't name or identify. But, the red-eyed beast's eyes found a familiar figure. The blue and white shape of the pack's scholar, Everett. What was he doing here? What was here? "H-Hi" The beast said before looking around, unsure of what this place was. He knew nothing of working with food and didn't even know such a thing existed. He thought it was a storeroom of some sort, though he was quite unsure of that. "Wh-What i-is th-this p-place?"

Hii! | Silver changed tables because of reasons
Word Count: 300+ Form: Optime Date: Winter Time: Day

Adaptation to Kitty's Template | Image Credit: Joe Lodge, Salvatore D'Oro, Xnienke | Poetry by Daniel

Last edited by Iorek on Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Casa di Cavalieri
First Officer
Silverfrost
Luperci Healer; Groundskeeper CdC Top Poster!

POSTED: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:37 pm

As the male continued his work, he was mindful of the dryness in his throat. A lump had settled there, and Everett turned his face away from the counter and coughed. Ragged breath escaped parted jaws as he attempted to clear his throat several times. Instinctively, a hand rose to wipe at his cold nose, and pulled away. He curled his lip at the sensation of something cold and sticky across his palm and sighed. Gods' damned cold. Leaving the food to one side, the scholar dipped his hands in the water once more and patted them dry. I must keep going. I can't let little things hold me back now.

An ear perked forward as the water began to boil in the pot. At that moment, a strong floral scent mixed with wolf and dog drifted into the room at Iorek's appearance. Everett smiled at the youngster, which faltered as his eyes settled upon bandaged arms. He turned to search the crimson-eyed pack-mate's face, an eyebrow raised. Could it have been an injury from the pack's recent battles or something else? The male bobbed his head and rubbed his palms together as he greeted the other. "Hello Iorek. What brings you down here, other than hopefully the smell of a good meal in progress?"

He gestured for the medic to come further into the room and placed a hand on his hip. With his other hand he massaged at his throat, aware of the dustiness that had arranged itself there. His shoulders heaved as he coughed into his hand, and waited for the sensation to pass. "Sorry about that," Everett croaked as he explained, "I think I may be coming down with an illness. I am fine however." Iorek inquired after the nature of the room they occupied, and the scholar was only too happy to oblige. "Welcome to the kitchens, my friend. A rather popular place for most I would imagine. Can you see the shelves over there?" He pointed a corner of the room, laden with containers of various shapes and sizes. "Those are the herbs and spices the pack has either collected or traded for. We can use them to make the prey we caught taste better." It was good to be back in a well-stocked kitchen; the silvery male could have waxed lyrical about his enthusiasm for the culinary arts. Instead, he smiled and there was a glimmer of brightness in his icy orbs.

Everett Moreau

Everett Moreau

Casa di Cavalieri
First Officer
Ketsuki
Luperci Scholar
THAT'S IT! ~

POSTED: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:20 pm

Iorek smelled food, but something else in the air. It wasn't a good smell, though he hadn't been taught to recognize it yet. He looked st Everett, the man seemed difference from the last time they had met. That was worrying to the hybrid since it seemed that his friend wasn't okay right now. The scholar asked him why he was here, but mentioned that there was a meal in progress. But the male wasn't hunting? To the wolfdog, a meal in progress meant someone was hunting food. Was someone else hunting? But, the flower boy answered the man's question. "I-I g-got l-lost."

The blue dog beckoned the massive medic to come closer. He padded closer and the beast did as he was directed. He came closer, seeing jars of stuff. And then the man massaged hos throat and coughed. That wasn't a good sign at all. A worried look crossed his features as the man apologized for the action. And then the Cavalier said something that set off alarm bells in his head. He said that he was ill and the beast knew that that wasn't good. The blue Cadet tried to downplay the illness but the feral nurse already gave him the disapproving look of a doctor.

The brown behemoth was worried about Jace, she was fragile with her health and she was pregnant and was an older female. He was now worried about his friend. Colds could be deadly if not treated and the man shouldn't be out here, he should be resting. There was also the chance that the scholar could get others sick as well and the chocolate-saddled brute did not want to deal with that.

But, the man launched into an explanation of what this place was. It was a kitchen, a place where they made better food. The carmine-eyed Cadet didn't know that herbs were used for things other than healing. Sniffing around, he recognized a few herbs such as rosemary. He didn't know what "spices" were, but didn't ask about it. He was more worried about the obviously sick pack mate in front of him. He fixed the male with a red gaze and crossed his arms in front of his chest. "Y-You m-must b-be r-resting." The crimson-eyed Cavalier said.

Iorek can carry Eve to the Medico office lol
Edited because so much stuff happened ;-;
Word Count: 400+ Form: Optime Date: Winter Time: Day

Table by Kitty | Image Credits: Andrew Malone

Last edited by Iorek on Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casa di Cavalieri
First Officer
Silverfrost

POSTED: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:13 pm

It seemed as though Iorek was not familiar with the idea of cooked food, which was something the scholar hoped to remedy. The concept had largely been adopted by those Luperci who embraced the human’s ways. Everett had met those who showed a preference to devour their meals the natural way, or else lacked the ability or interest to learn. In this instance, he could conclude that the same was true of his packmate. The male canted his head to one side as the wolfdog explained that he was lost.

He scrutinised the room, his gaze settled on the ingredients set aside. The scholar stepped over to them, plucked a handful and held them up to examine them. The leaves looked healthy, but he was having difficulty smelling them properly. Something was off; the scents were weak. Everett rubbed his thumb and fore-finger across the herbs and inhaled. The essence was there, but it was faint. He blinked and met the crimson eyes of the medic, “I require your assistance. These herbs, do they look and smell correct to you?”

The gentleman was keenly aware of the look that had arranged itself upon the medic’s features. An ear dipped back in response to the downward curve of Iorek’s muzzle. Oh dear, Everett was certain he had not seen that expression on his student before. It was not becoming, and with his gigantic proportions it was also rather terrifying. A splayed hand rose to cover Everett’s mouth as he coughed, and turned his head to the side.

Iorek scolded him, his booming voice emanated the room and mixed with Everett’s dry, shaky breaths. A thin, decorated arm waved the suggestion away. “I insist, I am fine.” An attempt was made to gather the remains of the man’s dignity as he submerged his hands into the warm water. “Besides, there are others whose needs are more urgent than mine.” His voice dipped, “I saw Jace this morning. I believe she is with child… she was sick and has taken to using her feral form.”

The silver male sighed and rubbed his hands together as he continued, "She needs my help, our help. Iorek, you must be aware of her spirited nature. Jace will not admit she needs support, so it is our responsibility to provide that kindness."

Everett Moreau

Everett Moreau

Casa di Cavalieri
First Officer
Ketsuki
Luperci Scholar
THAT'S IT! ~

POSTED: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:28 am

I sing for love, I sing for me I'll shout it out like a bird set free

Iorek only took a whiff of the herbs presented, only worried about Everett. The beast didn't know what kind of herbs were used to cooking, but they weren't poisonous so then they were okay? He didn't know much about herbs yet but he could recognize a couple of them by scent and looks. They were edible, too but he didn't know why someone would need herbs in their food unless they were sick. If the man was trying to make himself better, then he was using the wrong herbs. The wolfdog shrugged and nodded, not exactly knowing what they were for.

The massive medic scolded the scholar with a voice that seemed to be too soft to come from him. He didn't want the man walking around sick and possibly getting himself sicker or other sick. A frown settled on his face as he heard the blue dog insisting he was fine. He knew the man was lying and he wasn't the biggest fan of liars. He looked down at the man, his protective instincts in full force. "Th-That c-cough d-doesn't s-seem...s-seem f-fine t-to m-me." The feral nurse said as sarcastically as he could manage.

The brown behemoth's frown deepened as the man brought Jace into the conversation. He knew she was pregnant, he was one of the pack's medics! He didn't know what was wrong with taking a feral form, but he knew that she was sick. Morty had been worried since the arctic queen was at an advanced age and was carrying pups. He had heard the chatter from the healers, he had seen how emaciated the woman looked. And then the man said that she needed both of their help. The chocolate-saddled brute agreed, but disagreed on one part.

"A-And what will happen if...i-if you make h-her sick? Wh-What will you d-do if you get t-too sick to help her?" The carmine-eyed Cadet asked in a rather clear sentenced. He wasn't happy with this entire situation and didn't know if the blue-eyed man would bend to his wishes. He did have other plans if the man still chose not to go to the Medico office or his room without a fight. It would be a rather rude for the beast to try and carry the man to his room, though desperate times called for desperate measures. And the man didn't seem like too much for the crimson-eyed Cavalier to carry.

OOC400+
Template by hilli | Art by Nat | Edits by Silverfrost
Casa di Cavalieri
First Officer
Silverfrost

POSTED: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:08 pm

Everett waited on his pack-mate's response as the herbs were checked; he trusted Iorek's judgement as one of Casa's medics. It was arguable that he even needed an individual familiar with herbs, when in reality any canine whose sinuses were clear would have done. Iorek furrowed his brows and appeared lost in thought for quite some time. For a fleeting moment he pondered if he were being too cautious, and quickly rejected the idea when he considered the meal was for an expectant mother. One could never be too careful in such instances. The scholar glanced over the fireplace, alerted by the sizzling of oil in the pan. A soft breath escaped his lips as the medic eventually shrugged and confirmed that the herbs were still edible.

The silver male brushed his hands down the length of his shirt as he felt crimson sights upon him. He seemed particularly concerned about his dishevelled appearance as he avoided meeting the medic's eye. Everett squeezed his eyes shut as a sudden urge to sneeze assaulted his muzzle, and swiftly brought the soggy handkerchief to his mouth. Bleary eyes, he lifted his head to catch Iorek's eye and looked guiltily away. The fawn and chocolate pelted male was right, and it was irksome. Was it so difficult to be of use to others?

Everett sighed at the thought, and slipped the rag into a pocket as he straightened himself. "My, my. Is that irony I can hear in your tone, Iorek?" He chuckled and smiled at the teasing remark of the medic. "Am I being a little too optimistic about this cold?" The scholar left the other male to his own thoughts for a few moments as he padded to the worktop counter, palms spread across the surface as he considered what to do. What he set out to do today might have been overly ambitious.

He froze as Iorek presented the idea of passing on his sickness to Jace. Everett tilted his head to one side as the medic outlined another outcome of him being too unwell to help anyone. Absently, he thumbed a ring as terrible scenarios played across his mind; if he were to cause suffering to another by not accepting his own condition, he might not ever be of help. On the other hand, if he faced the reality of his fragility and invested time and effort into his own well-being? Only positive change come could of that, certainly. "You are indeed correct. Iorek, I apologise for my stubbornness - I only wanted to help, but it seem as though first I must learn to help myself first."

Everett Moreau

Everett Moreau

Casa di Cavalieri
First Officer
Ketsuki
Luperci Scholar
THAT'S IT! ~

POSTED: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:31 pm

Iorek had no idea what irony meant. He didn't exactly know what optimism was either. But he knew that if Everett thought that the cold would just go away, he was wrong. The beast knew that everyone needed at least some treatment for illnesses and he could tell that the dog probably needed more. If he knew what optmism was, he knew that he probably lost some of that since he came. He had seen war, he had been through a lot of trauma, and he hadn't had the best childhood. The wolfdog knew that he could be optimstic about some things, but some things couldn't be handled with optimism.

The massive medic saw that the man froze when presented with the possibility that he could infect others or not be able to help as well. He didn't like being harsh, but there were just some things that needed the brutal truth. He saw the scholar starting to fidget and then finally give in. The beast flicked his ear at the man's response. He didn't need to apologize for being stubborn. The beast tilted his head in the general direction of the Medico office. The blue male needed at least some herbs for his sickness and some rest. The feral nurse would take him to the Medico Office and treat him.

The scarlet-eyed Officer waited for the smaller Luperci to start walking. And then the man padded behind him, choosing now to shift down to his Secui shape. He would probably shift back when they got there. His shift was relatively quick, taking around three minutes to complete the change. When the shift completed, he stood in his Secui form, his head almost level with the scholar's. If the male needed help getting there, he could lean against the crimson-eyed Cavalier. If not, the bear dog would herd him to the Medico Office for treatment.

Minor pp!300+

Template by Kitty

Casa di Cavalieri
First Officer
Silverfrost

Dead Topics