rivers and roads, rivers and roads

POSTED: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:47 pm

000 (Kjell promptly slaps a "Return to Sender" sticker on Seppo's forehead)

His brother had been the first, and worst of all, had made his departure with their parents' reluctance, and from there, the dominos of the Rask children folded - Uncle Brocade had been so kind to take the firstborn under his wing to guide him northward, and his sisters had muttered and mumbled about adventure and a far-settled Kingdom that their heritage hailed from.

Seppo, though, was not so sure of his fledgling wings, for they were wax.

At some point on his journey up, he had turned around somehow, gravitated towards the safety of the nest, before he had to psyche himself up and keep blindly straying to a strange yet familiar (only by name) land, until he found himself past rolling hills and butted up against the Halcyon range, having ventured just a touch far, he realized, if direction were to be trusted by enigmatic Salsolans at the Outpost, and he milled awkwardly south, before pausing at a presumed border, sitting himself onto a boulder and twiddling his toes to wait, spiced eyes glimpsing about through soft-hissing leaves that told him to turn back. The young Rask furrowed his brow, patted palms against the rock he was perched upon, and steeled his nerves. Was he supposed to call for someone? Did Kjell have to call for someone?

Something of half-an-hour and change passed, and the boy still sat, elbow on his knee, and the soft of his round cheek in that palm, before his barrel-chest heaved with a sigh, and he finally caved to let loose a boom of a barking howl.

Salsola
Bambino
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:48 am

Had he not been swept away by the great demand of progress, O'Riley supposed he might have better known the many faces which returned from the south. He had been born on these lands, though, and made his first journey wrapped tight to his mother's breast. O'Riley could not recall much of his youth, but bits and pieces came back to him when he tried.

He did not try often. His world was simpler than that.

On foot, the wolfdog covered many miles at an easy pace. Alone for the moment, he took many stops to reinforce his scent on the border. It was thirsty work and often saw him returning to places where water could be found, but this divergence took more time than he might have liked. It was not very much. His Secui form was terribly fast, as was its design.

So much to his chagrin, a deeply doggish summons found him between these two places. O'Riley gave his head a shake, snorted, and picked up his pace. His wounds were all but healed now – a few had scarred, but in most places his fur was growing back. It was obviously short, like it had been sheared, and exposed his pale undercoat.

There was a thick, earthy-colored boy waiting for him there. O'Riley approached him, ears and tail high – an overtly aggressive friendliness that made his forward approach understandable.

You look a little confused, he called.

if the thunder don't get you
then the lightning will
Salsola
The Erilaz
Mel
'Souls Assemblage Luperci Informatore LET ME IN
a tightening atrocity
ECLIPSE

POSTED: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:11 pm

000 OH HI REELEE, Amanda requested I brought Symre along to make Broc's NPC B)

Oh thank goodness it was another person. That slate-and-silver man approached, in a form Seppo was honestly surprised to see, and despite the deathly wash of his features, the way the man was scarred and beastly, the young Rask went against what could've been better judgement when faced with one of Salsola's own vipers, and beamed a big and gawky smile, his tail twitching nervously.

Oh, yes, I am! he answered, unabashedly truthful as he pushed up off of the rock. Somewhere behind him, a duplicate had emerged, though she was less heavy, her hair long, as she went to elbow him in his thick side. I thought I'd lost you! he enthusiastically relented, if only to himself when neither in his company seemed to echo his sentiment.

"He is always confused," Symre had spoken in that way that spoke of a confidence that spanned farther than her brother's, and he cheekily offered up a grin. She made a gesture like Seppo should be turning over something, and he watched her turn up her palms empty handed.

Oh? Oh! Gifts, yes, as customary for this sort of thing, right, and he went to fish around his person, patting down the slack of his pants, into his tunic to try and find it, find it, find it--

"You lost it," she said flatly, and he hummed a nervous note, skewing his lips as he continued to fish in his clothes. It seems I have.

The duo looked over with their mulled-cider eyes, rich and warm, and Seppo's features were nothing short of apologetic.

We are Rasks, he awkwardly started. Kjell was sent before us, with Uncle Brocade?

"We're here to return to our rightful home."

Salsola
Bambino
Luperci

POSTED: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:31 pm

A boy – a boy and a girl, he realized moments later. They looked so close that he gave this pause. At a distance they might have fooled anyone.

Possibilities began to spin in his mind even as his gaze remained fixed upon the pair, listening but not hearing as the pair began speaking. He had a way of disconnecting from the now at moments which were not worth his time, and judging by the way the chattering sounded to his unfocused ears this was indeed one such period. It was a terrible thing, to be so terribly clever and know the limitations of a mortal coil.

They were both looking at him. He smiled in a way that showed his teeth.

And what about you two Rasks? O'Riley asked. His gaze continued to turn between them, though it shifted to the low space behind the pair on something else for the slightest moment. The forest beyond was not Salsola's own, though he distrusted it less than he might places further still. The pack was strong, and growing stronger with each new face that returned to see the rise of a new rule. Curious to understand their intentions, he fixed his attention towards them once more. Were you sent?

then the lightning will
Salsola
The Erilaz
Mel
a tightening atrocity
ECLIPSE

POSTED: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:31 pm

000 ooc stuff here

"We came of our own accord," Symre said, without missing a beat. Seppo shifted behind her a little, fiddling with his hands while he nodded and exchanged weight between his feet, unsure of where to keep his eyes - his sister, or the secui?

He had no gift, and he felt as though this man of intrigue could smell the nervousness on him.

Yes, he echoed dumbly after Symre. He wouldn't be left out this time, didn't want to be outpaced by the ambitious brood. I am a craftsman, like my father. I would like to continue his trade of smithing, here, in the north.

His faux confidence crumpled when Symre rolled spice eyes over to him and he licked his lips. If you'll have me, of course.

He was no master, and he had the feeling that shoddy-built knives and cheap blades would not fare well in these waters - he would have to improve, and quick, but he lacked his siblings' guile and wits.

"May we come in?" Symre spoke again, insistent with her tone, but all smiles and excitement, as children could often muster.

Salsola
Bambino
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:07 pm

Welcome to Salsola

Welcome to Salsola! As a current member of the pack, you're ranked as a Bambino. We strongly encourage you to read over the Ranks area of our website for further information about your rank, promotions, and other relevant things.

As a new member, why not:

• Start plotting with your fellow members -- start or join an Open Thread on Salsola territory.
  • Figure out if your character wants the Cotona ritual to take place, and where on their body they'd like the scar.
  • Figure out which of the Jobs you'd like and let the leadership know which you're considering.
  • Check out our pack game and start earning points! You can claim a residence in the the Ruins after 50 points in the pack game (note: residences outside this area is free).
  • Add yourself to our Directory, and please remember to add your character's animal companions to our Stables! See Salsola Maintenance for further information.
  • Familiarize yourself with the pack's leaders and make sure you contact one of us if you encounter any sort of difficulty or require any assistance. You can send us a Private Messages or post to the Salsola Maintenance thread.
Salsola
OOC Account
Mel & Alaine

POSTED: Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:08 pm

O'Riley laughed.

It was full of mockery, but a strong sound and pleasant enough to hear. He laughed briefly, loudly, and his toothy smile remained though the vague hostility within it seemed to fade.

Well, there's nothing wrong with wanting to come to where you belong, O'Riley flicked an ear and sighed, like he was clearing the air from his throat. He looked as if the earlier humor had lightened the mood, though why he had found their proper accords so amusing was unclear. Perhaps he thought it too much, or the way that the adolescents looked so eager and uncertain all at once.

You were born here, so you're Bambino yet – unless you'd rather go through the trial of being an Associate, O'Riley scoffed, like this idea was ridiculous. Besides, he was all too acquainted with what it meant to gain someone's loyalty. But if you speak with the Boss, I'm sure she'll provide you a way to avoid this.

His expression hardly changed when he announced: I'm O'Riley, the Erilaz. I can show you the way, if you follow me.

then the lightning will
Salsola
The Erilaz
Mel
a tightening atrocity
ECLIPSE

POSTED: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:18 pm

000 We can probably close up here? <:

A wash of relief came over the boy, as his lips quirked upward into an uneasy smile and he let loose quiet, and bubbly pips of laughter in an echo to the Erilaz's own; it only strengthened as he felt more at ease, but a perplexed skew, and a momentary lack of laughter from Symre told him perhaps that he had missed out on a joke at their expense - something that he frequently overlooked, or perhaps didn't even notice. Her smile recovered soon enough, and with that, Seppo's tail started in an uncertain tick, before breaking into a full-out wag that looked downright comical.

Nice to meet you, O'Riley, he boomed, practically eclipsing his sister's voice that shared the very same sentiment, and she cast him a sideways glimpse.

He bridged the space between himself and the Second-In-Command with long-loping strides, but made sure to keep respectable space between himself. Symre came by tight on his heels, overshadowed both physically and metaphorically by her rotund brother as he enthusiastically beamed. Lead on, lead on! I am quite excited to see everything and meet everyone!

Symre rolled her eyes.

Salsola
Bambino
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:21 pm

Everything was going so well except for one simple, stupid mistake.

O'Riley's expression did not change much (he had practiced this) but any hint of friendliness or warmth evaporated from this facade. His eyes fixed upon the boy's face, and ever-so-slightly his stance shifted to put him directly in their way.

You know, he began in a cold, loud voice. I can imagine your ignorance is quite is expansive. In fact, I would bet on it, the false-smile fell, leaving behind only teeth. So let me be extremely clear about things. You don't get to use my name – you don't get to use anyone's name that you bow your head to unless they allow it. But not with me, and especially not with her. Do you understand that, Seppo?

The way things were supposed to be done was very important. Part of his duty was to ensure this was not forgotten by this Outsider-spawn yet to prove their worth.

It seemed to him that the pair understood well enough. The big wolfdog turned when he was satisfied, and led them as far as the central road. Then with succinct, brief instructions, he left them there and returned to the forest.

then the lightning will
Salsola
The Erilaz
Mel
a tightening atrocity
ECLIPSE

POSTED: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:05 pm

000 ---

The warm welcoming and comraderie did not last long, after Seppo mis-spoke, and his step faltered while the Erilaz, not O'Riley, boomed out his warning, sharp, thick and heavy-tongued with pointed teeth and dangerous, ghostly eyes. The boy's heart lept in his throat, and Symre cast him a look as he went stiff, and those little triangle ears pulled back a little into the short crop of his hair. He had made quite the blunder - the guilt of that alone would've been sufficient, but the weight, the sudden cool spoken words pressed to the anxious beat of his heart was enough to drive the lesson home.

He licked his lips, and Symre gave his arm a tug, as he resumed his pace, slow and bumbling, after her.

Y-yes, sir, Erilaz, Seppo said, voice far smaller than he. Apologies.

The rest of that brief trip, the relay of those instructions, he spent in silence, his sister being the only one to prompt a few quiet-spoken questions as far as directions, before O'Riley vanished, melted away into the brush to abandon the twins there. Cider-eyes looked to one another. Seppo felt like he could breath again, but scarcely, in case he were still lurking, and the two made their way deeper into Salsola's heart.

Salsola
Bambino
Luperci

Dead Topics