All the small things, true care truth brings

Grievous

POSTED: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:35 pm

Optime | The Ruins (The Clinic); morning | NPC: Cedar (+465)

Kamari could have cursed at her luck that morning, or, rather, the lack of it. It was rare for her to receive an injury from a hunting accident, as her usual style of catching game was through her bow or through snares to help preserve as much of the pelt as possible. She was not flawless though, and there were times when her arrow did not strike cleanly, or where her snare had not effectively choked its victim to death. Such times where she had to draw in close with a knife were where the risk of injury ran high. And today had just so happened to be one of those days.

A young, mean bobcat had somehow managed to entangle itself in her snare. It had surprised her to find it, and her initial fear had been that she had accidentally caught one of the Kingdom’s lynxes. When she had drawn closer and tried to speak with it though, the creature had not been one she had recognized, nor did it seem to understand her. A sniff at it as the cat rumbled and hissed at her told her that it was as wild and feral as it acted. Lacking ownership or wisdom of the Luperci tongue to protect it, the fate of the bobcat was sealed.

Seeming to realize its inevitable demise, the cat had tried to, understandably, fight off the young huntress when she had descended upon it. While Kamari had been quick and ruthless, the feline had been quicker. It had left its claw marks in the flesh of her forearm, a parting gift in exchange for the life she took. Kamari had taken it home and quickly skinned the dastardly creature before rigor mortis could set in, immediately setting off to the Clinic afterwards.

She had priorities, and she would have been damned if she got injured and lost the pelt of the damn creature too.

The Shadow had crudely wrapped her arm up in some old linens and twine to help staunch the bleeding, but, having owned cats and remembering her teachings from her father, Kamari knew better than to wait any longer than necessary with cat scratches. She pulled Cedar to a stop as the Clinic came into view. She slid off, whispering a command for him to stay put before she moved towards the cabin with her injured arm held to her chest.

“Hello? Is anybody here?” She called out, knocking upon the door with her good hand. “I got scratched by a bobcat.”

It had been a while since she had visited the place. The last had been in her younger days when her father’s previous master, Bane, had still run the clinic. The ex-Cleric and Paladin had since left the Kingdom though.

Kamari Kaiser

Salsola
The Emissary
Songbird
Luperci Sapienza, Vedetta Royalty of a Fallen Kingdom
IF I WEAR A MASK

POSTED: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:21 pm

[WC: 282]

He stood in the empty building and stared at the wall with disdain. In the seasons since his parents had departed, Grievous had watched as others took over the space – moving things where they pleased, taking certain items and replacing others. The stocks never truly dropped, as fewer people came out this way either, choosing to rely on less public methods or less trusted healers.

They had fewer than he liked. In the days to come, this fact would become apparent enough that his already-turning mind would find reason to grow anxious over such things.

Today, though, he was merely annoyed by what he found.

Grievous had found that since his return there was little for him to do. O'Riley didn't need him all the time, others patrolled, and without violence so readily on their borders his own purpose seemed lessened. Daily he needed to care for his horses, and he often tended to the communal animals now that fewer skilled hands were available, but beyond that his main requirement was food and that easily found. Boredom would often sink in when completed most of these tasks. This was why the gray wolf was once again considering tackling the supposed-disarray himself when someone knocked at the door.

He flinched at the sound, very-nearly snarled, and frowned when he realized this. This expression further deepened as the voice explained itself.

Grievous swung the door open and peered down at the figure waiting there. She was familiar, small and earth-toned with dark accents and too-bright eyes. Even if he didn't know Kamari personally, everyone knew who she was now.

I'm here, Grievous announced. His eyes settled on her bandage. Are you still bleeding?

masks beneath masks until suddenly
the bare bloodless skull
Salsola
The Henchman
Mel
Luperci
supernova

POSTED: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:44 pm

(+280)

Feel free to PP her doing whatever Grievous tells her/needs of her!

She stepped back a bit from the door as she heard heavy footsteps from within the cabin. It sounded like someone large, and, as the wooden obstacle was swung open, she understood why. In the doorway stood one of Bane and Basilaris’ children, the monochrome one that used to hang out around O’Riley a lot, Grievous. His sunburst eyes came down upon her with little friendliness to them. The sight made her ears fall back against her hair, some part of her wondering if she had disturbed him somehow.

He got straight to the point and asked her of her injury. Her gaze shifted down to her bundled arm, and she undid some of the makeshift bandaging to peak beneath it. Red coated everything, but, at the very least, it didn’t look like it was gushing blood as it had been before. “It looks to be slowing down,” she told him, unsure if it would be helpful for what he would need to do with the open wound.

“When the cat originally got me, it was bleeding pretty steadily,” she added. Any bit of information would probably help with his assessment of what needed to be done, or, so she thought. Kamari looked around, “Do you…want me to go wash it off beforehand?” She asked, her brows furrowed and posture hinting at submission. The Emissary had never been treated by Grievous before, and knew not of what his preferences were or how he worked. Either way, she was not about to act superior to him, particularly since he seemed to be the only healer that was in unless she wanted to try to do it all herself.

Kamari Kaiser

Salsola
The Emissary
Songbird
IF I WEAR A MASK

POSTED: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:33 pm

[WC: 302]

It was inevitable for people to get hurt. They were mortals, after all, and of softer matter than the hard stone or sharpened edges of the world. Other threats existed, in forms like antler and hoof, tooth and claw, and it was the latter which was among the most dangerous.

Grievous had been brought up being warned about such things. Both of his parents had suffered, and as he had heard time and time again, this was why he had to be careful. Danger was ever present. To be ignorant was to be dead, or to suffer in ways unimaginable.

He picked up on more than enough from a scarred ghost and a woman long-lived past her grave. Among these, which included bad habits and an ear for the supernatural, the knowledge of healing matters remained. For as often as he was hurt, for as often as he found his cousin in precarious situations, the reality of things had been clear long before he traveled a greater scope of the world.

His duty was to Salsola and its people. Kamari was one such being, no matter the origin of her blood.

Besides, Grievous thought kindly of her father. How could he not, when his brother might have died alone in the night without him?

No, I will prepare water. Cat claws carry sickness with them – we should not take chances. I need to make a fire. You sit, take the bandage off, he ushered her indoors. There, he set about gathering dried and drying plants, and soon hoisted a crude metal cauldron from beneath one of the cabinets. This he dropped near the door before bringing the plants to the table Kamari had settled at. These he deposited without instruction, obviously meaning to return. Did you lose a lot of blood?

the bare bloodless skull
Salsola
The Henchman
Mel
Luperci
supernova

POSTED: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:02 pm

(+376)

The monochrome-colored man denied sending her off to cleanse the wound on her own, and, instead, invited her into the clinic. Kamari offered him a polite and shallow bow of her head, “If there’s anything else I can do to help you, please let me know.” She didn’t want to be a burden to him. The jackal hybrid stepped inside, taking a look around the clinic and trying to piece together what all she remembered from when she had last visited it many moons ago. The brief pause and look around was all that she afforded herself though, not wanting to tarry or waste the Henchman’s time.

She took a seat upon a chair that looked suitable enough for Grievous to work on her injury, and began undoing the makeshift bandaging that she had done to postpone her need to visit someone better skilled in the art of healing than she. A few tugs on a simple knot that she had made, and the twine she had used to keep the linen strapped tightly to her arm was loosened. She gathered the twine off in a pile to the side, and began the process of unpeeling the blood-soaked fabric from itself.

“Not enough that one should be concerned,” she reassured him, “But, enough to make a mother fret unnecessarily.” Kamari grimaced—not out of disgust, but more out of worry for what the Eternity might say at the sight of it—as she managed to pull the material apart. The closer to the claw marks that the linen was, the more saturated in a dark red hue they were.

Three of the cat’s five claws had managed to break her skin. They crossed diagonally across her forearm, and left a raw, crimson mess behind. Her fur being shorter on her forearms, it was quite easy to see the claw marks, and the fur surrounding them was matted with hardening globs of blood. The wounds themselves were shiny and promised to spill more of her life liquid if the fragile film of dried blood was disturbed.

When she finally managed to unwrap all of it, she held out the soiled material awkwardly. “Where do you want me to put this, Henchman?”

Kamari Kaiser

Salsola
The Emissary
Songbird
IF I WEAR A MASK

POSTED: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:19 am

[WC: 415]

Grievous grunted at her statement. His mother had been a healer and afforded little when it came to worry – citing injury and unseen forces that might later affect them as serious things to consider.

Medicine was not an exact science, nor did he entirely rationalize it as such. Grievous was logical in his thinking but deeply rooted mysticism within his family and social structure had created pockets where superstition and otherworldly forces might be at work. The disease in a cat's claws were no different to him than a curse or spell cast for ill-intent. He could not see either until they were already at work, and had to believe that this was already happening.

In this case, it was too soon to really see if an infection had struck. She was probably lucky that the bleeding had gone on for so long – it may have washed some of the potential illness away.

There, he pointed at the table. I will dispose of it.

He squatted at her side to better look at the wound, which was not as terrible as it could have been. Please by this, he gave a little nod as his gaze lingered just long enough to assess.

There was dried wood stacked next to the building that Grievous soon after gathered, as well as a basin of water from the nearby stream. The Clinic had a fireplace within and here he set about preparing a small, hot fire. He did all of this without properly engaging in conversation. He had never been an overly talkative boy, and as an adult liked silence still, regardless of whether or not others were comfortable with it.

When the heat became of measurable notice, he poked the logs and rolled them this way and that to expose bright coals. Here he shoved the metal pot, leaving it to heat as he returned to the table. He had long fingers and these made quick work in shredding his gathered plants into a mass – plucking the stems away from those which still had them, eyeballing the general size until it seemed right.

He noticed Kamari was watching him and supposed the spy wanted to understand what he was doing. It would be difficult not to wonder.

I am going to clean your wound, he finally explained, continuing with his plants. These will go into the water, to help make it work better. They will probably heal on their own – you may have scars.

the bare bloodless skull
Salsola
The Henchman
Mel
Luperci
supernova

POSTED: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:07 am

(+513)

She placed the soiled material onto the table as directed, though she was quietly curious as to how he would get rid of it. Would he wash it and reuse the linens for another patient? Or would he burn it in case there were some kind of infection that might linger in its fibers? Kamari didn’t ask, as it wasn’t important to what they were doing there, and the information would serve her little other than to satiate her curiosity. Grievous didn’t seem to be the sort that was very social either. It would have probably been to her favor to simply let the monochrome male do his work in peace.

When she sat down on the chair once more, Grievous came over to inspect her arm. She held it out for him, letting him make heads or tails of the injury that her unskilled eyes could not. After a moment, he left to gather what he needed to get the fire going. Whatever his assessment had been, it didn’t appear as if the cat’s scratches were too bad, either that, or the Eternity was good at hiding grim news. She watched him in silence, at his mercy if she wished to have her open wounds seen to.

Grievous tended to the fire until the room warmed up a bit from its presence, where he then placed the water-filled pot atop of it to, presumably, warm it up. Plants that were familiar by sight, but not by name, were torn up, and he must have seen the curious look in her gaze, for he spoke, explaining what it was he intended with them. She was thankful for his explanation, having been of the thought that he had wanted to make tea for whatever reason.

Kamari looked down at her forearm turning it back and forth as she accepted his prognosis. She eyed the caked globs of blood around the wound site, how they matted to her short fur. The injury itself was still angry-looking, bright crimson and ever threatening to spill more of her life liquid if its thin layer of dried blood was disturbed.

Four marks.

“If it means that I won’t die or lose my arm, I can deal with a few scars.” She supposed she could hide the identifiable markings with a convenient bracer. Not ideal, but, better than pushing up daisies or losing her ability to ever shoot a bow again.

The Emissary let out a soft sigh. “I take it that the cleansing with the herbs will keep away infection?” She guessed. It made the most sense in her mind as to why he had added the plants to the water instead of having her just wash off her arm in a nearby stream.

After a moment, she found herself asking more, “Will I have to wrap it or anything? Come see you every few days?” Kamari was trying to make plans in her mind, sort out what the complications of this new injury would alter of her daily routines.

Kamari Kaiser

Salsola
The Emissary
Songbird
IF I WEAR A MASK

POSTED: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:33 pm

[WC: 365] this will be my last post! thank you for the thread :>

Yes, they should help. You will need to keep it clean – that is the most important thing. If the sickness lingers, it will come back. He explained this simplistic idea as best he could. There was more to it that he could not properly put into words, or truly recognize. Healing was something of a strange and magical thing itself, and he often wondered how much was reliant on the work and how much came from powers beyond or within.

It was hard to comprehend things when one didn't feel like they had yet found their place in the world.

I would cover it while you are outside of your home, Grievous advised. But you should let the wound breathe. If you get it wet, let it dry. He eyed the water, and when it had reached a boil, used a thick piece of leather to hoist the handle of the pot and remove it from within. This he moved to a piece of flat stone, and when his hands were free, took the plants and tossed the lot of them into the steaming water.

You shouldn't have to see anyone unless it begins to look bad. If it becomes red, or if it smells – but if you want me to clean it for you again, I will, he added. Keeping those who served the Kingdom healthy and well was as much a part of defending it as fighting.

As the water began to change color, Grievous rubbed the scars on his own shoulder absentmindedly. He stopped only to gather a fresh piece of linen, which he dunked in the steaming water.

When he had satisfied to his vision that few of the plant pieces remained on the cloth, Grievous returned and had Kamari hold out her arm. Being as she was not a child, he did not coddle her when he took to cleaning the wound – it was a brisk, efficient method of soaking and gently easing the worst of what remained away. When it was finally cleared completely, he looked it over again.

I'll wrap it before you leave. I'll give you another one too, in case one gets wet.

the bare bloodless skull
Salsola
The Henchman
Mel
Luperci
supernova

POSTED: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:04 am

(+447)

No problem! Thank you!<333

She listened carefully as Grievous spoke, making mental notes for her own knowledge should she ever be in need of it. Who knew what she would run into outside of the Kingdom? What seemingly useless information she might need to complete a mission, be it for her own survival or in the fabricated life that was Birch Kaid’s. At the very least, what the Eternity told her here, it might allow her—or a fellow Salsolan—to reach safety where a more advanced healer could take over things.

Contingency plans were something that were always running through the Sapienza’s head.

Cornflower blue eyes watched the Henchman as he moved about the clinic and tended to his fire and heating liquid, as he added the herbs to the boiling brew and let them steep and discolor the liquid as it cooled to safer levels, as he seemed almost reminiscent of his own injuries once upon a time. She wondered how he had gotten them—from the war with Boreas, perhaps? From fighting off vagrants at the Kingdom’s borders? If he was the fighter that he seemed to be, how had he been drawn to plants and healing? They were thoughts and musings for a different time though.

Grievous cleaned her injured arm with his herb-infused, water-soaked rag. It was not soft, though Kamari had not expected it to be. The caked blood was rubbed away, and the injury itself was cleansed of the old blood and grime that might have seeped into it. Fresh blood began to bubble up slowly as the skin and flesh were shifted with the cleaning, but it was slow coming, and did not spew as it once had. The warm, soaked linen felt soothing against the wound, and Kamari swore that she could almost feel the pinpricks of the herbs working their magic as her flesh soaked up the linen’s excess liquid.

When he had finished, Grievous made another inspection before deeming her ready to return to duty. She offered the Henchman a grateful nod and smile. “Thank you for helping me, Henchman.” Kamari said at his back as he went to fetch the materials he’d need to bandage the injury.

Her gaze cast down to her arm, eyes roaming over the contours of the scratch marks. Four diagonal cuts. It would take a little bit for them to heal fully, though, when they had, there was the hope that they would somehow recede below her fur line, where they would remain unnoticed unless someone was actually looking for them.

At the very least, she could make some use out of the bobcat’s pelt yet.

Kamari Kaiser

Salsola
The Emissary
Songbird
IF I WEAR A MASK

Dead Topics