In These Hands

Rumpa

POSTED: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:36 pm

OOC here/ WC - 000

Ruby orbs stared idly at the pelts that'd been sitting around his mother's home for weeks now. Two deer pelts, hunted by himself and...and by his father. By Rurik. It'd been one of their exceedingly few bonding moments, and just thinking of it brought a mist to his vision that he had to rapidly blink away so his mother wouldn't find him bawling like a pup on the floor. But Fenris, did he want to do just that.

Instead, the darkling male wolf sucked in a deep breath and stepped forward, hands outstretched, to pick up the hides and cradle them against his chest, dipping his head to inhale their scent. He'd left them in his parent's home, so they did smell of Veri and Rurik. To forestall another onslaught of sorrow, the male turned on his heel and strode purposefully out of the house, his expression determined.

He caught the scent of his intended target somewhere around the middle of the Town Square, swiveling his path in mid-stride so he then headed toward the tailor shop. Whether it was Darius or Rumpa, or some other wolf that'd taken up an interest in the art of stitchery, he needed their help. He paused outside their doorstep, hesitating, but a whiff of the steadily fading male scent that clung to the hide in his arms made his resolve harden, and he shifted the burden so he could lift one arm and crack his knuckles firmly on the surface of the door.

"It's Damon. Uh...I...have a project I'd like to talk about?" his tone conveyed a slight uncertainty, having not needed to make a commission for anything before, but he tried not to let his expression pass that on, forcing his ears to stay softly erect.
Damon
I'll be here. I'll always be here.
Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet (NPC)
Amoris
Luperci Cook Tier I

POSTED: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:24 pm

(362)

OOC text

Yet another Knock. Yet this Knock was not like all Knocks so far. Usually, the Knocks that Rumpa dreaded were the insistent, rapid fire raps on the door of his and Darius's shop. Sometimes Darius was here, sometimes he wasn't. This time he was!

Darius made eye contact with Rumpa though and jerked his head towards the door. They could hear someone call out, but it was difficult to hear through the wood. Darius had both hands fiddling with some thick cloth and he had pins sticking out of his mouth that made words impossible. Rumpa set down his own work - the green shorts that Day had asked for not so long ago - and stepped over the chest of cloth that was in his way.

The door opened with a slight creak, and Rumpa pointed his gaze submissively downwards. "How may I help you?"

A simple sniff, however, sent his head jerking up. "Oh, Damon! Sorry - um - come on in." While Rumpa and Damon hadn't always lived together, Rumpa and Mercy had been taken in by Damon's mother. Damon had moved out at around the same time they'd moved in and despite Damon's closeness with the Nightshades' arch nemesis, he'd always been kind to them.

Everyone knew that Damon and Arlen shared a relationship of the intimate nature even if they weren't super obvious about it. Apparently, they'd had a thing for each other since Arlen was young. Most of the pack seemed more than happy for the two of them and their label-less relationship, but secretly Rumpa thought that Damon was too good for Arlen. It was only a matter of time until Stryder messed it all up.

Unfortunately, Damon had recently lost his father. It was a loss that Rumpa knew well. He could only hope that Damon had the support that Rum had longed for as a child.

"So," he pushed his thoughts aside and turned towards business. He guided him in towards Rum's work desk and pulled up a spare stool. Darius listened with an ear though he continued with his own work. "What brings you to the shop today? Do you n-need repairs or something?"

Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Kris
Luperci Mate to Nora Tailor Tier I Nightshade Blood: This Tainted Love

POSTED: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:12 am

OOC here/WC - 000

Rumpa's default greeting brought a lump to Damon's throat, and he wanted to reach out and gently tug that muzzle up from its submissive tilt. They might as well have been family, seeing as how his mother took in the Nightshade twins and raised them. He'd moved out shortly after, though not because he distasted their presence; at the time, that house had been full with six or seven canines at any one time, and he'd started to feel cramped. Despite leaving the household, he still considered them family. Perhaps he needed to make that more obvious.

Damon cracked a smile as soon as Rumpa recognized his scent and looked up in surprise before inviting the darkling male inside. He followed dutifully behind the younger man, glancing this way or that at the inside of the workshop. Darius was busy with a project, pins stuck between his teeth, but the Cook could tell he would be listening in.

When asked why he'd come to the shop today he looked slightly lost for a moment before glancing down at the burden of pelts he held to his chest like a lifeline. "I um....I had an order, in mind. Um...an important order." Hesitantly he extended the pelts out, as though almost loathe to part with them. "I wanted...I needed...oh Fenris." He coughed, flustered, and feeling Darius's eyes on him now as well. "I want to order an outfit for Arlen, for a very special occasion."

Damon's ears turned back and he blushed beneath his fur, looking down at the floor as he nervously shuffled his feet. "I um...I intend to ask Arlen to be my mate." There was a splutter and a clatter of pins, a curse that caused his ruby gaze to flick toward Darius in concern before returning to Rumpa. "And I want this outfit to be what he wears at our ceremony. If...if he'll have me."

"Oh course he'll have you darling, God knows you've been head over heels for each other long enough. And you two boys deserve some happiness." Chimed in Darius, who'd bent to pick up the pins he'd dropped in surprise at Damon's announcement.
Damon
Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet (NPC)
Amoris
Luperci Cook Tier I

POSTED: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:17 pm

(423)

OOC text

Usually Rumpa was the stutterer in all of his interactions. His eyebrows threatened to ascend into his hairline. "Damon, are you okay?" Damon was usually more confident and smooth just in general. Rum remembered distinctively being jealous of his ability to just glide through a conversation.

Damon's tragic loss of words drew the attention of even Darius, who squinted across the room at them and paused in his work. When Damon finally let the name Arlen slip, the two tailors shared A Look.

Arlen was the sworn enemy of the Nightshades by his own confession. Nothing the twins ever did was good enough to pay for the sins of their father. Eventually it got to the point where the twins purposefully antagonized the prince to give him a taste of his own medicine. As of late, Rumpa had decided to take the high roads. He remembered the look of dismay on Arlen's face when Rum handed him a simple cup of tea and some kind words.

Rum would be lying if he said that his heart didn't sink when Damon announced his intentions. There was a small amount of hurt that flashed in his eyes before he quelled his own feelings in favor of being happy for the man he called his brother. Was it cruel karma that Arlen react so violently to a Nightshade living so closely with his sister only to marry the man the Nightshades called brother?

Darius on the other hand sputtered out his pins out of surprise and (probably) happiness. The older tailor gave his two cents while Rumpa remained silent. It wasn't until Darius gave a rather loud ahem that Rumpa realized that he was going to have to be the one to take this particular commission and swallow his own pride.

Rumpa smiled, if a little fakely, at Damon and quietly wished him a congratulations while he found a charcoal pencil and some paper to scratch down Damon's ideas.

Familiar with Arlen's particular sense of fashion, Rumpa started out, "So are you wanting to go with his normal style? A long-sleeved undershirt and a loose tunic over top of it?"

Darius shook his head at the boys, a little ashamed of his apprentice's tactlessness. He understood that Rumpa held no fondness for Arlen, but he was unaware of just how deep the anger and hurt ran. Later, he would have to pull the boy aside and make sure that Rumpa could do this commission with the honesty and quality that his position demanded of him.

Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Kris

POSTED: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:43 pm

OOC here/WC - 000

When asked whether he was okay, he knew he was butchering this. He blanched at himself and managed to forge onward with his request, still stumbling through his words but finally getting out everything he meant to say. Darius drew his attention first, the older tailor reassuring the male as his ears and tail flicked to and fro self-consciously.

"Th-thanks Darius, that means a lot." he murmured quietly. By the time he turned his focus onto Rumpa once again, the look of hurt and betrayal had already come and gone across his expression and been missed by the darkling male. However, when it took Darius to hint at his coworker that he would have to take this commission on, Damon took a slightly closer look at the smile his brother offered.

He frowned ever so slightly as he studied the young Nightshade's face, accepted the congratulations but continuing to look on, even when Rumpa had grabbed the charcoal in preparation to take down his ideas for the outfit, asking if it would be similar to Arlen's current style. "Yeesss..." he said slowly, eying the other male before he looked over at the paper that'd been grabbed. It took him slightly aback that Rumpa knew of Arlen's typical dress style, and made him wonder when he'd gotten the chance to pay so much attention to it.

Damon's ears flicked back as he stepped up beside his brother, gently resting the hides he'd been carrying between his hip and the tabletop. "Yeah, it'll be in that similar kind of style. Um...the undershirt should be a dark blue for this one. Full sleeves, no design, just plain tailored fabric. The...overshirt....make it a deep blue, or a blue/green, with golden embellishments around the collar, and maybe down the front around the clasps?" he rubbed the back of his head with a hand, scratching at his scruff uncertainly as he thought of more.

"As for the bottom part, uh...Dark brown? Full length. And...maybe a leather belt for around the overshirt?" ruby orbs looked over from the paper up to his brother, brows quirked in question. "Am I forgetting anything? I'm kind of bad at this, but I want it to be perfect for him." his heart shone in his eyes, how nervous he felt about taking this leap and letting himself be so vulnerable for another.

"Oh, and the pelts! I um...I brought these pelts from...from my house...from Ma's house." he lifted them up to his chest once again. "Got these from, uh...from hunting with Rurik. Just a couple moons ago. He gave them to me. I wanted to pass them on to some who....will actually use them. I don't specialize in leathercraft or tailoring, so I figured I could use them as payment for the order, or maybe a contribution to the materials needed? Whatever you want to deem it."
Damon
Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet (NPC)
Amoris
Luperci Cook Tier I

POSTED: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:55 pm

(204)

OOC text

Rum quickly worked on the specifications that Damon asked for. It would be a relatively simple piece. The hardest part would be acquiring the colors that Damon desired. Rumpa knew that Len wouldn't be so satisfied with duller colors that the cavaliers could easily make. Len prefered the richer, more vibrant hues. Rum set his feelings aside for the Stryder and instead worked for the love that he had for Damon.

"Embellishments," he murmured while he drew out a few designs that he knew Darius could embroider. Some were boxy and others were flowy. There was even one that was a mixture of both. "Alright," he turned the paper over towards the dark male. "So here are some of the standard ones we've used before. It'll be unique but do you have any preference on style?"

Darius watched it all unfold with a quizzical look. He knew that the younger tailor had been raised as the sibling of this new customer so it was strange seeing him so formal with him. Rumpa was actually acting quite normal for himself. He'd always been uncertain around Damon despite their familial relationship. He was just as awkward with Alaric and Veri and Rurik, when he'd been alive.

Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Kris

POSTED: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:17 am

OOC here/WC - 000

Ruby irises watched Rumpa's hand as it sketched across the parchment with each detail he described for the outfit he wanted, curious as he observed it come to life on the smooth surface. Though the charcoal left the design as just an outline with no color, he could appreciate the art as what it was.

When handed the parchment he took it carefully, setting the hides down fully on the table so he could study each design thoroughly. He hummed softly over each one, his lower lip snagged under one white canine. Eventually, the darkling male tilted the paper so Rumpa could see as he used a clawed finger to point at the mixed boxy and flowy design. "This one. He'd like something like that," he murmured, glancing between his younger brother and Darius as he did so.

When Rumpa took the parchment back from him and made a few more adjustments to the sketch design, Damon shuffled on his feet a little. "Um...th-there's no rush on this...but..any idea how long it might take to complete? So I can...ya know...actually ask him...this time around..and I didn't want to ask before it was done..." he smiled sheepishly, scratching at the back of his scruff.

Another thought came to him and he cursed quietly, glancing between the two tailors in a slight panic. A-and please don't tell him. About me...and...and the outfit. I don't want him suspecting."

Darius's eyes lit up at the thought, a smiling cracking across his lips. "And spoil the lovely surprise for your soon-to-be? We wouldn't dream of it." the older tailor assured him, giving Damon a huge sigh of relief.
Damon
Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet (NPC)
Amoris
Luperci Cook Tier I

POSTED: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:39 pm

(356)

OOC text

Unlike the commissioning experience with Day, the one with Rumpa seemed streamlined. It was such an easy task. It was almost like Rumpa had prepared his whole life for this and in a way he had.

All his youth, Rum had had to analyze and watch his foe with a keen eye. The Nightshade had always watched Arlen's every move in his presence and the tailor's gaze couldn't help but be drawn to the fabrics that Arlen chose to drape on his flesh vessel. The demon inside was far less pretty to look at. Rumpa studied the folds of the cloth instead. He watched the way the light scattered across the textures and the way the colors still stood out in the dark.

Arlen desired to be seen. Regardless of where he was or who he was with, he needed to be looked at. While his fur was already a flashy color and his body motions drew they eye, Arlen had to be pompous as well. He had to be bright. He had to be the life of the party. And Rumpa would make sure that at his wedding, all eyes would be drawn to the red-haired beauty.

Time. Everything always came back to time.

Rum blew air out his lips and did a little bit of mental math. A shared look with Darius, a cursory glance. The older tailor only had the one big project lately, he could definitely help with Rum's other projects again. "Um, I'd say about two weeks as long as I can get the fabric for it when I go trading tomorrow."

Rum had already discussed the trip with Star, who would be his guide. They would head up to Amherst first thing tomorrow. It would take a few days, certainly, but as soon as he was back he would start on this project. Darius would have to do the embroidery, but Rumpa could certainly tackle the pants and the undershirt mostly by himself.

"Of course," Rum couldn't help but smile at Damon's nerves. Despite it all, Damon deserved happiness. He just deserved someone better. "What made you decide now?"

Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Kris

POSTED: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:37 pm

OOC here/WC - 000

Following his query of how long this might take to complete, Rumpa blew out a breath and shared a look with Darius. Damon could see the mental wheels turning between the two tailors as they came to a nonverbal conclusion. The darkling male brightened up with a smile at the news that this project would take two weeks to finish.

He hummed softly to himself now, happy and also nervously looking forward to the day that he would ask Arlen to be his mate, and also extremely fearful of whether his red-furred partner would say yes. Within seconds his thoughts were thrown into a spiral of thinking ahead, how he'd ask, where, any details that came to mind in the moment, and for a short while he forgot where he was.

It was Rumpa's voice that brought him back, and he looked over at his brother with a slightly wide-eyed startled look and a sheepish smile. When asked why he'd decided to do all this, Damon's smile faltered and his ears fell slack. "Well...I..." he cleared his throat and rubbed his white hand across the back of his black one.

"Time doesn't go on forever, and I've taken too long already. Ma and..and dad, they...they were close for a really long time but both afraid of that next risky step as partners...and, now...they were only able to enjoy a few years together, before..." Damon trailed off and looked at the floor, blinking rapidly a few times to forestall the moisture that'd abruptly collected in his eyes. He cleared his throat again and glanced back up at Rumpa, his smile much sadder.

"Rurik asked when I was going to make an honest man out of Arlen. And I had plans to, during the Ball, to ask, but...I lost my nerve and I put it off. Losing him....I...I love Arlen. I have for a long time. And I need to act on it before...before I lose the chance entirely." he rubbed the back of his neck, equal parts embarrassed and sorrowful as he opened up to the other two men.
Damon
Casa di Cavalieri
First Cadet (NPC)
Amoris
Luperci Cook Tier I

POSTED: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:21 am

(328)

OOC text

After Damon's speech, Darius had to clear his throat and focus on his work. Rum noticed the extra shiny sheen of his eyes and smiled at his mentor's kind heart.

Rumpa himself took his own time to think about those words. Yes, time was very short. There was no way to know how much time one had before God called them home. How much more time did Rumpa have with his craft, with his sister, with his very best friend?

His best friend was beautiful and smart and kind and wonderful. She deserved the world and chose to share her time and home with him when she could have been out pursuing the world. It was only a matter of time before a strong man drew her gaze. It was only a matter of time before she asked Rumpa to move out to move her new man in. It was only a matter of time before she had a family and he was left a lonesome spinster wondering why he hadn't taken his shot.

Rumpa smiled softly to himself at the thought of it. He could shoot his shot and get turned out of the house to become a lonesome spinster wondering why he'd been a fool. No, it was probably better to enjoy what time he had until Nora continued her life. He would devote his to God.

Damon had a chance, though. In all his observing, Rumpa had seen the way that Arlen looked at Damon. Damon was the only one that could cool that green envy and rage. Arlen could be doubled in size with anger and hackles but the instant that Damon walked into the room, the Stryder shrank down and quelled his fire.

"I think you'll do just fine, brother." It felt right to call him that given the circumstances. It was the first time he'd done so but this was a family matter. It was time to call it what it was.

Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Kris

Dead Topics