You can beat the world, you can beat the war

[ Sequoia ]

POSTED: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:26 am

Her leg shuddered under her weight, however so light. Lyris couldn’t understand why she was limping on a surface wound; the bear’s claws had only gone so far as flesh and veins. No bones had been displaced or broken, it just burned. Either way, she figured it would be a while before she could walk without a limp. It was slight, the faintest hint of an uneven gait, a slower pace. She was growing accustomed to it, though. It didn’t take her long to get used to wounds.

She couldn’t say the same for Asgeir. The man kept a steady pace beside her, head low, bandana that usually covered the length of his eye swallowing the rest of his emotionless face. He’d asked Lyris more than once to take his carvings and woodworks to the outpost and trade for alcohol; she’d only accepted when he’d begged her of it. The man was falling apart, and Lyris didn’t know how to fix it. She’d gone through a similar stage; depression was not foreign to her. But for the life of her, the Stryder couldn’t figure out what it was that had snapped her out of it. Something had. She just didn’t know what it was. The girl sighed, a brief puff of pale smoke curled from her lips as they moved, following the bend of the river towards the territory border. She’d managed to pull him out of the communal den to go on a border patrol with her; though Asgeir couldn’t say he was enjoying it. The change of scenery was nice, though. And he needed it.

He had no problem slowing to Lyris’s less than quick pace, each step tiring to both of them, however how slight. The girl took care to brush her figure against the marker bushes and barks; spreading her scent where it was needed, and the Ceston followed behind her, half-heartedly doing the same. It wasn’t long until the Subordinates spotted a stream of water ahead, and Lyris led the way, stopping in the warm sunlight and leaning over the flowing water for a drink. The man did the same, both of their heads dipped to the chilled liquid, rings spreading from muzzles. Once she’d drank her fill, Lyris rose to full height, and began to pace, testing out how much and how little weight she could bear on her hind leg. Asgeir stayed lower to the ground, eyeing her tiredly. “Why’d you get that, anyway?” He pried, and the scarred girl stopped, glancing to the dark pattern that curled around her other haunch. She looked to him before studying the water. She shrugged, not really feeling the need to explain herself. She had a reason, but not one for the sharing. She continued to pace, and the man just rolled his eyes to set them back on his from paws, a sigh lifting his shoulders.

((483)) Mid-morning. They're on Pictou River banks, near the border.

Lyris Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Ann
Luperci Mate to Luca Stable Master The Brotherhood: Master of Tooth and Claw 2013, 2015 SoSuWriMo Champ! Stryder
princess cut from marble
smoother than a storm
these scars that mark my body?
SILVER & GOLD

POSTED: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:56 am

Everyone needs something,
everyone wants love

A quiet snarl rent through her teeth as she watched the deer scatter before she had even started her chase. The pain in her wrist was putting her off balance and she had rested her weight too heavily on her other front paw, snapping a fallen branch loud enough to startle the herd. Since the fight she had had no luck hunting on her own but she kept trying, waiting for the day when the pain would not effect her abilities any longer. It was frustrating that she was not able to help the pack more when she knew that if she were well, she could. She was letting down her fellow packmates and letting down her alphas.

Too upset to try again, Sequoia wandered away from the woods - heading toward the center of the pack lands. Still agitated she hurried through the territory, releasing some of the built up frustration. Yet it was not all gone when she reached one of the many rivers that crosses the territory and ran into two wolves she had been avoiding. By the time she noticed them it was too late to pretend that she didn't and so she sucked in a breath, put a smile on her face and greeted them. "Lyris." She nodded to the white female first and then slid her gaze wearily to the older male. "Asgeir." She quickly returned her eyes to Lyris and spoke again. "How are you both?"

omg its a reply [wc — +1] template by hilli
Sequoia Exultare

Aadi
Luperci
Family Above All Else

POSTED: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:16 pm

Lyris’s pointless pacing began to slow, not entirely because of the limp in her gait. Her restless nature was curbed as she rolled her gaze from frosty winter grass to the rusty-furred back of her friend. The silver accents he was born with gracing his face now appeared to be growing out, spreading out to dull his coat’s colors and weaken his figure. The man had aged more in the past several months than he had in the whole ten years of his life. His posture was no longer purposeful, he didn’t even carry the confidence of a wise elder; his strong muscle had been eaten away by the alcohol, the upward tilt of his muzzle and chin dropped somewhere lower than his tail, implying that his dignity had been broken somewhere in between and he’d lost track of it. He’d been so capable, with so many more good months in his body. But X’yrin’s abandonment had shattered his heart beyond repair, and this was one lovesick bird she wouldn’t be able to fix.

She settled down next to him, mimicking his low and tired posture, pressing her warm side to his in a sign of care and empathy. The youth pressed her nose behind the elder’s ear in a tender touch before laying her own head in her paws, a sigh picking up and dropping the arch of her back. For once, the Ceston didn’t mind the physical show of companionship. He was tired, and felt his age; Lyris was the only somewhat sprightly thing he could look forward to, her youth and willingness to help him through his never ending depression one thing he felt he could accept. “I jus’ don’ understand it.”He murmured quietly, amber gaze clouded as he glanced over the icy reflection of the river. The Stryder just closed her eyes, breathing deeply the sharp pine of the forest. “I don’t think we ever will.” Lyris responded softly, the words barely a whisper, and definitely a soft one. Her throat grew parched again, so she stood from her rest to step toward the river again, and just as she dipped her head, she heard a voice speaking her name.

She was slow to raise her head, instantly recognizing the source, but Asgeir was on his feet in a heartbeat- it was probably the fastest she’d seen him move since home. The movement was quick as the Subord took a careful and purposeful stride in front of the male, dipping her head low to watch the woman carefully. Asgeir glared at her over the arc of her back. “Sequoia.” Lyris responded, expression unreadable. The agouti male’s, however, was more evident- the result of exhaustion, pain, sadness, and anger. “Wha' kind of a ques'ion is that?” The Ceston snapped, and for once, Lyris didn’t silence him with a warning look. She would prevent him from physically falling on the woman, though he doubt he would attempt such a thing- but he could still put her confused and hurt thoughts into words, something Lyris herself didn’t have the guts or glory to do. She’d always been a bit soft to past friends or family- even if she didn’t identify them as such anymore.

((541)) Eeeeee

Lyris Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Ann
Luperci Mate to Luca Stable Master The Brotherhood: Master of Tooth and Claw 2013, 2015 SoSuWriMo Champ! Stryder
princess cut from marble
smoother than a storm
SILVER & GOLD

POSTED: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:31 pm

everyone wants love

Though she knew that she was not ready to face Asgeir after everyone else see had already seen, there was no way she could have prepared for the shell of a wolf that turned abruptly to face her. Tan ears immediately fell back and she took a reflexive step backwards, even as Lyris put herself between Sequoia and the older male. Dumbstruck, the ashen wolf opened her mouth but no words were forthcoming. What could she say? She had taken everything from Asgeir - his mate, his pack, his family. There was nothing she could say, or do, that would change that.

Her eyes darted frantically, first looking at Lyris, but then looking away. The white wolf was not going to intervene and Sequoia understood that she wanted Asgeir to say all the things that she would not. There was no way to escape the confrontation. After a deep breath Sequoia squared her shoulders, licked her lips and spoke. "Asgeir..I..." She shook her head and started again. "You have every right to be angry at me." Her voice was soft and unsure but she kept going. "I'm sorry." Her voice caught on the words and she closed her eyes, waiting for the outpouring of rage she had seen behind Asgeir's dull, yellow eyes.

This will be fun :o [wc — +1] template by hilli
Sequoia Exultare

Aadi
Luperci
Family Above All Else

POSTED: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:50 pm

After the first words fell from her mouth, the only thing that could be heard was a rush of wind through the canopy, before the man rose his tired face. “You think tha’ sorry is goin’ to fix this? I though’ you were brighter then tha’, Sequoia.” Asgeir responded half-heartedly. The man stepped around Lyris, and she didn’t stop him. His body was too tired to find rage over something that was inevitable. It was likely- almost comical- over and over again, both of them had been duped. Friends and family killed, betrayed, and abandoned. Why not more loss? They were strong enough to take it. At least, Mother Nature thought they were. But she had broken the man. He was no longer Asgeir the strong and steady, he was a whisper of what he used to be. Everybody had a breaking point. He knew his would come, just maybe not as jarring and humiliating as it had.

Yet, something was wrong here. Lyris was never soft. She may have shown brief bursts of laughter or a fleeting presentation of compassion, but she doubted she could ever open herself up enough to truly love again. Be it friends, family, or something more. The bear had taken every last scrap of her faith in the world; she knew everything only got worse from birth. Sequoia and X’yrin had been perfect examples of it all. She wished she hadn’t ever shared a laugh with the earth and autumn-dipped woman. Nothing deserved laughter anymore. “It’s not even your fault.” The Stryder sneered, and suddenly her limp was gone. She was taller, her walls firmer, and her trust was all closer to impossible to gain. “I was the fool, here.” She was on the verge of a snarl, but she didn’t show it. Her voice was passive and cold. Even Asgeir watched her with mild shock. “I should have known how temporary family is. All of mine were slaughtered by that damned bear, and when I found refuge again, I was abandoned. The world is a cold and cruel place, I don’t know why I would ever trust it, even for a day.” She was not trying to gain pity or sympathy. If she saw even a glitter of the latter in either of the former Sangi’lak members’ eyes, she doubted she could stand in their presence for another second. She was trying to prove a point, however blunt or cutting it was. “You were just doing what everyone does at one time or another. I thank you for teaching me a valuable lesson.” Her green eyes glittered, not with tears, but with something deeper and unreadable. She’d told nobody her life or the story of her scar, and it was in the open now. She didn’t care. She relished in it. The last tribute she could give to either of them is where she came from, because the doors were closed now. Asgeir stood silent, his head low and ears flagged, and he knew he wasn’t the only broken one here. Love was just a joke, neither of them understood how they could offer themselves as slaves to such a temporary feeling.

((534)) Yesss, Ly is 102% done oops

Lyris Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Ann
princess cut from marble
smoother than a storm
SILVER & GOLD

POSTED: Wed May 07, 2014 12:09 am

everyone wants love

She knew that a simple sorry could not repair the damage she had done - but sorry was all she had. Nothing she could do would repair the broken wolf. If only she had the power to change the past. She never would have confessed her feelings to X'yrin - or gone as far with the golden wolf as she had. Then Sangi'lak would still exist and there wouldn't be this pain shining clear in the eyes of her former packmates and friends. She had let them down, let herself down. Some leader she had turned out to be.

With nothing to offer, the words the male threw at her stung. Her eyes remained closed and her body shrunk toward the ground. For once she was defeated and in a way that she hadn't known she could be. Those few words hurt more than any wound could have. 'I though’ you were brighter then tha’, Sequoia.' Stupid, she was stupid. Stupid for leaving, stupid for coming back, stupid for not knowing what to say. Did she really think that they would be happy to see her? She was a damn fool.

Golden eyes slowly opened as he stepped around the snow white wolf to face Sequoia. She tensed, almost flinching as she prepared for either more words or violence from him. Either way, she would not rebut. But nothing more came from the older wolf. Instead it was Lyris who spoke next. At first, Sequoia thought that the white wolf might be defending her and she lifted her ears and body slightly, hopefully. But as Lyris went on, her ears slowly pressed backward and her tail crept up between her legs.

What had she done? Bile rose up in the ashen warrior's throat as she listened to the wolf she had once considered her good friend. She did not think that she could call her friend any longer, though. Not now that she had disappointed the younger wolf so thoroughly. When she had left, she did not think that those left behind would be so devastated. She should have, though. Sangi'lak had been a pack for those who no longer had a family and were looking for a new place that they could call home. They had had a family within Sangi'lak and Sequoia was personally responsible for destroying that for all of them.

"No.. Lyris.." She whispered, barely loud enough for the others to hear. She didn't go on, though, still not sure what she could say. She didn't want Lyris to give up, not on love, not on friendship, not on anything. But she couldn't change a frozen heart with words. Only actions and time could unfreeze it now. Eventually she might learn to accept love and friendship again. Sequoia could help but not yet. Lyris needed time to heal from the wounds that the former leader had caused. What Sequoia could do now was leave them be.

She bowed her head and took a step back. There was no pity for either of them in her eyes - only shame for the part she had played to get them to where they were. For that, she would never forgive herself. Another step back and she turned her head away. "I'm sorry.." She whispered again and then turned back the way she had come.

;-;[wc — +5] template by hilli
Sequoia Exultare

Aadi
Luperci
Family Above All Else

POSTED: Sat May 24, 2014 8:32 pm

It had begun to rain. Not heavily, it was more of a light sheeting, barely worthy of the title rain. Light and miniscule drops fell from the dark clouds above their heads, releasing their own burdens as the words poured from Lyris’s mouth. When she finally finished, the first drops fell, turning her pale white fur damp, where it clung lightly to her slender frame. She didn’t stand so tall and menacing now. Her leg had weakened, and she held it from the quickly moistening grasses tiredly, curls of white flitting from her scarred muzzle as she heaved a breath, vanishing into the air. Her eyes had turned dark, their green pine color morphed into what looked like a pale gray, which was really just a reflection of the storm, inside and out. Asgeir seemed to have slumped, as well, his head low, eyes fixed listlessly on Sequoia, like a professor who had given up on finding the answer. He searched for it, one more time in the earthly woman, he searched her bright eyes and her slender figure, even her quickly falling posture. But he couldn’t find it; the answers he wanted weren’t there.

The broken girl limped forward, slowly, languidly, and she paused beside Sequoia’s retreating form. Tenderly she reached her nose to brush it along her former leader’s cheek, searching for her eyes. “I am, too.” She murmured, before lifting her head, feeling as though it weighed a thousand pounds. Her gaze became fixed on the tree line ahead, and as she moved away, her heart slowly closed. It wasn’t open for betrayal and destruction anymore. She wouldn’t give it away again. It was hers, and hers alone. Nobody would see how it beat, how each pump was painful and difficult, how each valve was carved with loss and a past that had shattered her. She retreated behind her walls, just as she retreated into the trees, silently as the rain plunging through the thick air.

Asgeir watched her go, before he, too, moved up to Sequoia. With the rain causing his fur to stick to his frame, it was clear that all of his muscle had gone, how emaciated his body was, how the alcohol had eaten away his physique and his soul. “Don’t worry abou’ her, she’s a tough one.” He said softly, and nuzzled the female against her shoulder. “I shoul’ thank you, for givin’ X’yrin somebody to love. I wasn’t doin’ her good enough. I only hope she’s happy, now.” Asgeir’s eyes were able to fill with some spark, their dull color brightened for a fleeting moment as he found the woman’s gaze. “Goodbye, Sequoia.” The parting was more than just the time it would take for them to see each other again, it was a final murmured word against the barrier that was quickly being built between them. He’d only just managed the words before it was completed, and he could see her no more. The broken man turned, then, and followed the broken girl into the trees, his figure vanishing in the shadows of clouds that drifted over the dreary landscape.

>>fin

((527)) I made myself sad. ;n; Thank you for the wonderful thread~

Lyris Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Ann
princess cut from marble
smoother than a storm
SILVER & GOLD

Dead Topics