an empty wagon full of rattling bones

POSTED: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:00 am

See galleries for credit.

The raven croaked, and Myrika rode deeper into the forest. The big black bird sat on the back of her saddle, riding with her. It was unusual -- she did not normally have a raven accompanying her. The trees were too thick for the bird to be much use, though, and besides -- it looked less strange than when Ithiel had ridden his great beast of a horse with his great beast of a vulture on her saddle.

The unusual nature of her companion owed to that companion's story. When Shoal had told her of someone crossing the borders, though, the tawny-hued coyote needed to investigate. Though she was not especially familiar with individual ravens, even Myrika knew the bird's propensity for stories. It was for this reason she had demanded finding -- or at least searching for -- the trespasser. Perhaps they were still nearby, or planned to cross again. It would not be the first time.

Inferni's border was further and further behind them. The Aquila grew impatient with the bird, swearing she would get no fish for a week. It was only the bird's insistence that drove her forward. The blue roan moved through the forest noisily, however, and Myrika was certain by now whoever the trespasser had been -- if indeed there had been a trespasser -- was long gone. She would turn back soon, and return home.

The fog was thick today, and there were low-hanging clouds that had gone an unsettlingly deep shade of blue-grey far to the south. Myrika had watched these clouds from the Waste earlier in the day, out over the bay. They never seemed to advance north; as noon came and went, they seemed as distant as they'd been. All the same, the distant flashes of lightning she'd seen would keep her from meandering too far. It was strangely cool -- a day better suited for early fall than high summer. There would be storms, sooner or later. They might be lucky and it would be night or the next day before they rolled in, but the Aquila wasn't chancing getting swept in a storm for a raven's ploy to get fish.

Myrika Tears

Sie
Luperci Chaos Star And it always, at the end, came round to the same place again.
the gunslinger's lament
Rota Vitae
the mask & the marrow

POSTED: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:23 am

“You know, you shouldn’t go out today…” The doggish woman said placing a hand on her hip, her pale eyes speaking of disapproval as she watched Juliette get the gypsy mare ready for a stroll. With the daintiness of an expert rider the fiery maiden climbed on top of the horse’s saddle, plainly ignoring her friend’s warnings as she did. “Juliette, seriously, the clouds are too thick and the wind feels weird. There might be a storm soon.”

With a sigh the horseback woman gazed down at Stella, her lips twisting into a diverted smile as she spoke. “There is a nearby pack to the South and I want to explore the area a bit more. Don’t worry; I’ll be back before the storm breaks.” Nudging her companion’s chin as a reassuring gesture she finally took off bringing her large steed to a furious gallop until they were far enough from the camp to slow the pace a bit.

Out in the wilderness, Juliette felt free, a placid smile lingering in her maw as she led the mare through the thick forest. Her ears stood tall for she refused to lower her guard, like the Egyptian god Anubis she held dainty ears as a crown on top of her deep red mane. She was indeed a magnificent thing to see, her fiery coat was adorned with red silks and golden jewelry. She might have appeared as a member of royalty to some, but no pompous princess would have been brave enough to venture so far away from her golden castle, in the end, she was no princess anymore.

Her wandering took her close to the borders of the pack which name she still ignored. Keeping a safe distance she circled around, her crimson and amber eyes scrutinizing the distance in search of any signs of life, although, her focus was misplaced. As lost in the search as she was, she didn’t notice the other rider whose path she had crossed until she was at the meager distance of ten meters away. Too close to be safe…

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OCC: Hello there! Juliette's horse looks like this- http://www.gogypsy.com/wp-content/uploads/horses/79Scarlett-GypsyVannerHorseforSale--3.jpg
Last edited by Juliette Grimm on Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

POSTED: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:07 pm

-- Thanks for joining! 8D

Maybe she'd get lucky and today would be as yesterday -- the threat of rain with no delivery. Myrika did not think she'd be so lucky, however. The deep blue-gray was growing steadily deeper, and today she thought the clouds crept -- however slowly -- north. It would be good for growth, right before they began harvesting fodder for their livestock for the long winter -- but it wouldn't be good to be caught in it, especially in the Dampwoods. There were few places to shelter -- a run-down shack or cabin, usually with one or more walls collapsing and a roof that did nothing to protect from the damp and rain.

A noise ahead made her perk up. Perhaps Shoal was not so full of it. The hybrid sat up in her saddle, turquoise eyes narrowing as the hoofbeats drew ever-closer. A black and white horse and a canine appeared before long. The horse was big and thick-limbed. Myrika identified him as having something in common with a few of their Infernian horses. Big, draft-bodied -- yet with nimble quickness to their hooves, for all the thickness of their limbs and musculature. The rider was just the opposite -- small, willowy, with a graceful air distinctly opposite of Myrika's big limbs and structure. The tawny-hued woman eased Eira to a slow walk. Hey, she called, frowning. You didn't cross our border, did you? The raven who'd been sitting on the back of her saddle rudely hopped up so it clutched her shoulder with its sharp claws. Myrika winced under the pain of it, her muzzle set into a grimace.

Ya, ya, Shoal said. That one! That one.

Myrika Tears

Sie
Luperci Chaos Star And it always, at the end, came round to the same place again.
the gunslinger's lament
Rota Vitae
the mask & the marrow

POSTED: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:02 am

The graceful canine was used to being underestimated. With the skills of a chameleon she appeared as nothing but a pretty, somewhat extravagant girl. She tricked the world into thinking her as defenseless, with nothing but her charms to pull her out of trouble or even at times, just her body and beauty. Poor were the fools that fell for that façade. Countless had died believing themselves to be the winners of a battle she had manipulated since the mere beginning. How many times had she danced in front of her victims as they slowly started to choke on a poisoned drink? Her looks might be that of a fragile princess but underneath her pretty skin dwelled a poisonous viper, cunning and deadly, ready to bite if need be.

A thunder in the distance caught Juliette’s attention, making her turn around just in time to see coy-wolf rider approaching with a frown in her face and a question for her. The Grimm maiden blinked in confusion, the scent of the stranger being the same as the pack she wished to investigate explained little to nothing about the current situation. Only when the Raven started screaming accusations at Juliette did the alarm started echoing inside her head.

They thought she had trespassed into their lands. The raven was telling her Mistress that SHE was responsible for a transgression to her pack. Swallowing down her sudden fear she quickly adopted a properly neutral stance, slightly wary from the canine that could or could not react aggressively at any moment. “I am afraid I am not the one you are looking for.” She spoke softly, hiding her nervousness behind a polite mask. “I just arrived to these parts and have been hoping to know more about the area. If my presence is unwanted I’ll take my leave.” Steadily she gripped Scarlett’s reins to turn around and face the stranger openly and at the same time ready herself to make a quick escape in case the other didn’t believe her honest words.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OCC: Boy this is going to be interesting.
Last edited by Juliette Grimm on Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

POSTED: Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:24 am

-- Sorry for the delay! D8 When the speech is written, too, it's high speech. ^^ Low speech can't be written out, and Shoal knows a bit high speech. JSYK, no edits or anything needed!

Unable to stand being the raven's perch more than a moment, Myrika brushed the bird off of her. The creature landed on the ground after a few lazy flaps and stood looking up at Myrika rather than the stranger. The tawny-hued woman's attention was primarily on the stranger, though she did not altogether discount Shoal, either. The raven croaked, the sound low and long. Fish? Fish? Now? it asked. The Aquila's attention diverted from the stranger to the bird. Her look was stern.

It's alright, you're fine where you are. the redhead called, and loudly. She spoke to the coyote rather than the bird, though she looked squarely at the raven. I think my bird's got her story mixed up. Don't know if there even was a trespasser. In the midst of her speech, she looked up at the coyote and her horse again. Sorry, she said. She's a storyteller. I'm Myrika Tears.

Shoal croaked in dismay, flapping her wings and hopping up and down. That one! That one! Cross-border! she cried, the words interspersed with raven caws and croaks. The bird gave her a sour look, but settled and stopped her flapping and hopping. She glared at the strange coyote as if blaming her for failing to trespass, but the Aquila regarded the stranger with a smile.

Myrika Tears

Sie
the gunslinger's lament
Rota Vitae
the mask & the marrow

POSTED: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:09 pm

There was a reason why Juliette had never taken a like in feathered companions and that was their lack of reliability. She could tell by just looking at the rider that it wasn’t the first time the raven spoke of danger where there was none, she even confirmed this by calling the bird a story teller. Juliette’s posture relaxed slightly when there were no more accusations thrown her way, she feared not for her life as she felt safe on top of her loyal steed, but conflict was something she would rather avoid for now.

“A pleasure to make your acquaintance Myrika.” The fiery hybrid spoke with her manners showing in full-bloom. She didn’t desire or seek to impress the coy woman, she just hoped to make the best out of their current situation and being respectful and charming now seemed the best way to go. “My name is Juliette Grimm.” With a slight annoyance reflected in the twitching of her tail she gazed at the cawing bird, the racket and senseless accusations fairly too loud for her to stay calm.

“I must admit I was headed over here in hopes of meeting someone from your pack. I am a traveler as you can see, and I am unfamiliar with the area.” She explained mimicking Myrika’s smile, her attention now completely removed from the dark bird whom behavior she found so distasteful. “How does your Clan call itself? If you don’t mind me asking.”

POSTED: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:05 pm

--

The Aquila decided it was best not to acknowledge Shoal. She was a storyteller -- and regardless of whether there had been a trespasser, she didn't think it was this one. Even if it had been, the hybrid thought it was accidental anyway. Shoal might get her fish yet, when they returned -- but until they did, Myri was content to let the bird think she was being stiffed.

Inferni, the hybrid responded. We're a coyote clan. The woman had some of the blood in her, Myrika suspected, but there was more wolf in her yet. And ravens, apparently. The bird croaked at that, glaring up at Myrika now instead of Juliette. She fluffed her feathers, seeming to double in size. It was an expression of annoyance, apparently. What are you lookin' for? Trade? Somewhere to sleep? Somewhere to stay? She paid no mind to Shoal, content to ignore her.

Myrika Tears

Sie
the gunslinger's lament
Rota Vitae
the mask & the marrow

POSTED: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:07 pm

Inferni. Juliette would make sure not to forget the name. She tilted her head to the side like a curious bird as Myrika introduced her family as a ‘coyote clan’. She had heard of groups made up of mostly yotes before, but none as big or seemingly fruitful as this one. Fiery eyes darted toward the dark bird once again when her species was addressed. So they kept several of those filthy scavengers for protection? Interesting…

When the older female spoke once more, Juliette’s ears twitched, her tail sweeping behind her like that of a focused cat. “I currently bring no goods for trade and I have already set camp for the night… but to be honest I would like to settle down somewhere safe once I get to know these parts well-enough.” She was careful not to mention her companion Stella as she, being a dog, would probably not be even considered a possible recruit and Juliette wouldn’t risk being separated from her dear friend. She only wanted to get as much information as she could from Myrika and pretending to be a potential future joiner seemed to be working marvelously.

POSTED: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:47 pm

--

You got coyote in you, the hybrid observed. But how much? The woman pointed to herself. I got half a coyote in me. You gotta have a third coyote, or better. You know what your parents were? Your grandparents? the woman asked. She'd met enough canines in the world that she understood well enough not everyone could speak their heritage easily. Some did not know at all, after all -- and some were sadly mistaken. She, for instance, hadn't know the truth behind her parents and their relationship until she was already well into adulthood and pregnant with her own children.

But there's other packs, too, if you ain't coyote enough for Inferni. Run into any of them yet? the hybrid asked. Coming from the east, Salsola, Vinátta, or New Dawn might already be known to the woman. She seemed strong and spry enough; with a horse beneath her and trade goods, there was no doubt in Myrika's mind she'd find a place, even if it was not Inferni. The other packs would snap her up, surely. The redhead had tradition to uphold, though. Inferni was a coyote clan, and a third coyote was the least they could take, save some other relation to a canine already within their borders -- as with her half-brother and half-sister.

Shoal, still ruffled, croaked quietly. Coyote, she said, chirping the word in a high, sing-song voice. Coyote, coyote. Myrika had heard the same chorus often enough from Ravenswrest -- though the first crow to throw in with the coyotes was long dead, though the ravens were occasionally stubborn and unreliable, there was deep truth to their bond, too. Coyote wasn't just a word to them -- as raven wasn't just a word to the coyotes.

Myrika Tears

Sie
the gunslinger's lament
Rota Vitae
the mask & the marrow

Dead Topics