we can make this leap

[ All Welcome ] <3

POSTED: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:14 pm

All Welcome for one! Come get to know Casa's newest grumpy resident. <: (+4)

Another dawn. Lyris jerked awake with the usual image of bloody claws fading into the back of her mind, and when she opened her dark eyes, was momentarily confused. These surroundings were unfamiliar, strange- she was in a human place. Her body stiffened until she recalled; she lived here, now. This was her room. Cold, empty, and lonely, the dark smoke stain on the ceiling a mark of dejection. Her world came crashing down again, when she remembered. She was no longer curled in New Dawn's communal den, her friend Asgeir breathing peacefully just feet away. Asgeir was six feet under and she was here, laying on the floor with only a couple animal furs to separate herself from the concrete, because she was too unsettled to sleep on the mattress that lay only a meter away. With several moments of heavy silence, Lyris finally stood, shifted into Optime form, and braided her hair back, pulling open the door and striding away to get the fresh air she was so craving.

She headed for the only place she was somewhat comfortable to stand in; the barn. Despite the early hour, the heavy doors were already opened wide, undoubtedly by a regular visitor. Lyris walked straight through to the stall where she knew her friend would be waiting, and swung away the barrier. "Hey, boy." Kenyon immediately cantered up to her, snorting good-naturedly into her hair. Despite her heavy heart, the Prova allowed a faint smile, and with a brush over his neck turned and moved out to the open aisle that ran down the heart of the barn. The stallion followed closely behind until Lyris stopped him with a hand on his nose, and he stood patiently while she flitted to the nearby wall to pick off a horse brush. He didn't need any guide when it came to recognizing the woman's commands. Returning to her friend, the Cavalier circled him once before stopping near his head and beginning her brush near the Vanner's ears, taking long strokes down his neck and gently untangling his mane. The process calmed Lyris' jittery nerves and loosened her tight shoulders. She wasn't friendly with any in Casa yet (not that she was friendly with anybody) and so the only one she cared to talk to or stand in the company in was her horse. Besides, when he had been stabled in Vinátta while she stayed in New Dawn, they hadn't gotten much time together. Now, the only noise between them was the soft rush of a brush over hair and the occasional snort of a nearby steed in his stall.

Lyris Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Ann
Luperci Mate to Luca Stable Master The Brotherhood: Master of Tooth and Claw 2013, 2015 SoSuWriMo Champ! Stryder
princess cut from marble
smoother than a storm
these scars that mark my body?
SILVER & GOLD

POSTED: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:02 pm

Ooc Hey mind if I pop in with Veri? ^^

Cream fingers scratched at Shasta's withers firmly as Veri shifted the weighted rope back and forth over the colt's back. She'd been working the palomino splash for several minutes now to get him used to the shifting and the weight. Slender ears pricked from the sounds of hooves and a canine voice. Shasta snorted and lifted his head up curiously from the noises. The wolfess drew his attention back to the task at hand by wiggling the rope once more. However, the colt had done very well with this new thing and Veri decided to stop while things were on a good note. Shasta had only reacted with some eye rolling and head tossing this time.

As a reward the cream woman removed the rope and gave the colt a piece of carrot for him to munch on while she led him from the stall with the halter. His ears pinned a little at the sight of a white furred Cavalier with a large black on white dappled stallion. Veri smiled in a friendly fashion to the other woman as she secured Shasta's lead rope to retrieve a brush to smooth the colt's hide. "Hello, I'm Veri. Your friend there is very handsome. I don't think I've seen you around before, welcome to Casa." sapphire orbs appreciated the strength that was held in the stallion's build.

Once a brush was found the cream wolfess returned to Shasta's side and began at the top of his neck in small circles to work any dirt or loose hair free. The scent of the female was familiar but Veri had not yet seen her around the stables. "This here is Shasta, young boy that needs a little work for the pack." the colt's tail swished and he snorted, one eye cocked back to look at her innocently. "Don't look at me like that." she scolded, then smiled at the female again. "Does your friend have a name too? I'm a little envious, he's quite a looker."
Veri Secanti

Casa di Cavalieri
Chief Cleric
Amoris
Luperci Healer, Ambassador (CdM) The Brotherhood: Master of Medicines Mate to Rurik

POSTED: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:11 pm

Not at all! Thanks for joining~ (+3)

The long movements of the brush were repetitive and smooth, gliding easily over Kenyon's muscled frame. Both woman and horse found themselves relaxed by the quiet and the grooming, so much so that neither much noticed when another Cavalier came up on them. Lyris' moved her eyes from brushing quickly up to find the cream lady over the dip of Kenyon's back, and the horse, in turn, raised his head to snort and glance towards the newcomer. As with any he was unfamiliar with, he watched with wary eyes, though had the good sense and self-restraint not to move away, even when she led her own horse up nearby and began brushing, as well. Lyris figured he would be fine as was, as long as the lady didn't try to approach him unbidden, or anything other. She paused in her brushing just long enough to offer a half-smile towards the stranger and a nod. "Lyris. And thank you," She greeted, pleased to meet somewhere the subject of conversation could be focused less on herself and more on what she actually enjoyed to speak about- her horse, or any in general. To move from the awkward angle where Kenyon's body was blocking Lyris from the woman, she moved around the feathered stallion until she faced his other side, and could feel his shoulders flick with lessening tension, as now there was her body between himself and the unfamiliar female. "He looks like he'll grow to be a strong one," The Prova offered, nodding toward Shasta, the vague image of a smile still imprinted on her face. "He's called Kenyon. And don't tell him that, his head is already big enough." As if to reiterate her point, Kenyon lifted his white-dappled head a little higher and snorted, and Lyris only rolled her eyes, brushing along his length once more.

Lyris Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Ann
Luperci Mate to Luca Stable Master The Brotherhood: Master of Tooth and Claw 2013, 2015 SoSuWriMo Champ! Stryder
princess cut from marble
smoother than a storm
SILVER & GOLD

POSTED: Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:45 am

Ooc Agh, sorry for the wait, been unpacking boxes for the last few days. x.x

Lyris, what a pretty name for a canine. Veri just might have to mention this to Lyris too. Sapphire orbs observed the white wolfess as she maneuvered around the big stallion so the two canines were a little closer together. It seemed the two were close. This pleased the cream Prova, so few she met truly had a connection with their mount, it was simply a means of transportation. Keen eyes also caught the flick Kenyon gave off once Lyris was at his other side. The only reason she did catch it was from her upbringing around horses, it made her attuned to some body language they could give off. "Kenyon, what a noble name." the white canine's jibe to her own horse was met with soft laughter from Veri.

"Yeah, he still needs to get used to a saddle. He's being a little stubborn with that part unfortunately. But the way I was taught, break in a horse at their own speed, don't force it, or you might end up with a ruined horse." a hand patted down Shasta's neck followed by the brush. The colt snorted and shook himself, one eye peered back to watch all three of them. Veri looked up at Kenyon and studied him abstractly while she brushed. He was a handsome looker alright. Still, Seeker was such a pretty dapple grey that she loved only him.

A smile lighted on her face and Veri tilted her chin in the direction of Seeker's stall. A brief click of her tongue brought his head up with ears pricked attentively toward her, a few stray bits of hay in the corners of his mouth. "Hey Seeker, smile for Lyris and say hello." she told him. On command the stallion's dark grey muzzle lifted to show his upper teeth in a huge horsy smile. His upper lip wiggled back and forth in his own version of a hello before his lips slipped back together with a soft thump. "Good boy. That guy is mine. I had some help training him, but most of it was me. He's almost too smart for his own good." as she spoke to Lyris Seeker huffed and shook his head once before he dropped it back down to continue his meal.
Veri Secanti

Casa di Cavalieri
Chief Cleric
Amoris
Luperci Healer, Ambassador (CdM) The Brotherhood: Master of Medicines Mate to Rurik

POSTED: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:39 pm

No worries~ c8 (+3)

Kenyon and Lyris indeed had a very deep sense of companionship. It was mostly due to Lyris' lack of her own friends, and her tendency to spend time on his back, loving the feel of running nowhere in particular with the wind in her fur. She also had made an effort to learn about horses and their care, and now had the ability to care for him all on her own. The Vanner had been very difficult at first, disrespectful and particularly snappy to unfamiliar faces. But over the few years she'd had him, the young stallion had become attuned to her voice and every command, and he would stop or run with only a word, and not even a nudge. They could ride bareback, and he never wandered off when she told him to stay, allowing him to graze freely but also have the freedom to escape in danger, should a horse-stealer attempt something stupid. He was an arrogant, but formidable steed- very similar to his owner.

Lyris glanced back to Veri and the young horse, curious at what she said. "Kenyon was already broken when I got him, and I'm glad. That sounds like a lot of work." Lyris moved her brush from Kenyon's shoulders to the dip of his back, continuing to move the brush smoothly, while the stallion lazily skimmed his nose over the ground, investigating anything the dusty floor may bring his way. At the sound of Veri's click, Lyris rose her head and glanced toward the gray dappled horse that seemed to have made his appearance at the sound. She witnessed the animal raise his lip at his master's voice, and Lyris simply couldn't help the grin that matched it. "That's quite the trick! I've never seen one taught that well before. He's definitely smart."The Stryder complimented, admiring Seeker for a moment more to wonder what could have gone into such training.

Lyris Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Ann
princess cut from marble
smoother than a storm
SILVER & GOLD

POSTED: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:09 pm

Ooc here

Veri bent as she brushed Shasta's shoulder with one handle to fiddle and poke at his hoof gently so he'd eventually become used to it until she could pick up his foot with little fuss from him. Although Lyris was right in that it was hard, and it also took tons of patience, but the rewards that were reaped were totally worth it in the end. As she straightened the cream wolfess smiled at Lyris and patted Shasta's shoulder in reward for only flicking his tail at the thing she'd just done. "It can be, but it's more like....doing things that will make a horse used to being handled. Messing with their feet, playing with their mouth, piling a few blankets on the back, a rope tied around their barrel. If it's done right, almost any horse can be broken in that way. It establishes trust more than forcing them to accept a saddle, bit, or horse shoes by giving them no other choice."

Veri was all for the more trust establishing route. A loyal horse was more valuable than a well trained one. A horse could be trained in all things, but if it wasn't loyal to you then it wasn't serving you because it wanted to please you, all it was doing was going through the motions to obey it's lord and master's commands. This she believed firmly. With Shasta, the young colt was skittish with some things, but as he warmed up toward her, he misbehaved less, although he still retained a stubbornness. He trusted in her that whatever she did or approached him with would not hurt him. Delicate ears tipped toward Lyris and Veri nodded in agreement.

"He is smart. I didn't actually try to teach him that. It was something he already did to me when I came to his old stable to greet him, I just applied a command to it whenever he performed it on his own. Now he responds to the command just as if I'd actively taught it to him." she smiled at Seeker for a moment, the motion filled with a tenderness for her hooved friend.
Veri Secanti

Casa di Cavalieri
Chief Cleric
Amoris

POSTED: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:34 pm

(+3)

Lyris understood horses, to an extent. She knew everything about basic care and was an expert at riding- she knew exactly how to pull the reins and how to twist her body for maximum speed or usability. She knew when a horse needed to stop, and the best ways to keep them healthy. But many of the finer aspects she had yet to fully comprehend- for example, she knew the basics of how to break a horse in, but would hesitate to take the task on herself. She would not want to treat a young colt improperly, or break them in wrong so that it could affect them for the entirety of their lives. The Prova didn't know everything about the horse's anatomy, or exactly when the best timing to begin certain techniques or teaching. But in Casa, she was certain she could better hone her skills, and hoped to be able to help out in the stables more often, even give advice where it was needed or help to train some of the communal steed. She knew that the pack was lacking a stablehand.

She nodded when Veri spoke of how she broke in a horse, watching curiously as she urged Shasta's foot up so that she could hold it without protest. She understood exactly the difference between loyalty and simple training- and was certain that every moment she spent with Kenyon was not forcing him to do something he didn't particularly want to. Lyris continued to brush along the stallion's girth, his shoulder twitching under her touch. The Prova admired Veri's ability to train her horse to do something insignificant, such as smiling, but didn't see the point in having her horse move his lips on command. Instead, she decided to devote her time showing Kenyon abilities that would be beneficial. "You certainly know a lot about them. How did you learn all this?" Lyris questioned, curious if she had extensive instruction.

Lyris Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Ann
princess cut from marble
smoother than a storm
SILVER & GOLD

POSTED: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:24 pm

Ooc Sorry I took so long with this one. x.x

Slow hands kept the brush moving along Shasta's shoulder as a reward for being so nice with his hoof. Each stroke made his coat smooth and soft beneath her fingertips, with a bit of shine in the light allowed into the building. Shasta's ears pricked and the colt reached his neck toward the other stallion curiously. The rope attached to his halter kept him from being too close, but Veri could understand why the young horse was curious. Veri's ears tipped toward Lyris and mixed blue eyes lifted again, with a slight smile.

"My father passed what knowledge he had on to me. We had two horses at his home, Seeker there, and another war horse named Ebony. He trained Ebony, but Seeker was mostly untrained when I first shifted. So he helped me a bit, but...his methods weren't quite the same. For some horses, perhaps, like Ebony who was trained for battle, some roughness is required to make sure they can handle the commotion, the smell of blood and such. Seeker has some training in those ways, but I can't see him being a serious war horse like Merlin, Alistair's horse. He doesn't spook easily at least."

Seeker lifted his head again while he munched on his hay, one of his soft brown eyes hidden behind the black forelock of mane that fell across it. Veri smiled at him. "Most of what I taught him I learned on my own. Trial and error, mostly. It allowed us to have a special bond that Ebony and my father don't really have. When I left I was sad I couldn't take Seeker with me, circumstances kept me from doing so. Just recently he was gifted to me from my father, so maybe I can teach him a few more things yet."
Veri Secanti

Casa di Cavalieri
Chief Cleric
Amoris

POSTED: Sun May 03, 2015 10:20 pm

sorry for slowness. Wanna wrap up in a post or two? (+3)

As Shasta stretched his neck towards Kenyon, the stallion rose his head, snorting at the younger colt haughtily, legs stiff and ears tall with dominance. The Vanner was strong and handsome, but he was vain and arrogant. Lyris lifted her hand and placed it behind the horse's ears, forcing his head down a good foot. Kenyon got the message, but he whinnied angrily and went to nudging his nose against the ground, obviously unhappy with his scolding. The pale female allowed him to be himself, but displaying vanity and superiority to nothing but a young colt didn't sit well with her. Horses didn't have the same social structure a group of wolves did, and she didn't want the stallion to get into a bad situation with his confidence. There were horses older and more experienced then him, and she knew aggression was easily sparked towards any naive male who felt he was better than any other.

As Lyris moved from brushing her companion's dappled coat to his dark mane, she listened intently to Veri's story. Speak of war horses and the hinted training they had to endure sent a prickle down her spine. While the huntress considered herself familiar with blood and death, she didn't believe in forcing any other creature into such a mindset. It was cruel, to her. War horses could give an edge in battle and were a good commodity, but it didn't mean she had to like what they went through. Kenyon would have made a brilliant war horse, he had the perfect build for it- but his naivety and overconfidence paired with Lyris' fear of losing her friend prevented her from every donning him in armor. "Sounds like you found the proper way to learn about them." The Prova mused, as she believed the only way to learn anything was by being self-taught. "I used to live in Sangi'lak. A pack up north- when they disbanded, I'd made friends with Kenyon. So I took him with me. He might look like one, but he probably isn't war horse material. Too self-absorbed. He'd get himself- and me- killed. Won't you, now?" Lyris patted the steed's neck, and he only flicked an ear, obviously still giving her the cold shoulder form her earlier chastising.

Lyris Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Ann
princess cut from marble
smoother than a storm
SILVER & GOLD

Dead Topics