plowboy

POSTED: Tue May 26, 2015 11:15 am

At the ranch with all the horsies~ Hope that is okay. xD I forgot I was the one to start this, heh.

It was the sowing season -- the Planting Moon, Anisguti, according to the elder Aranck. Cody didn't feel comfortable with trying to plant, but because the animal caretakers' profession was so tied to the crops, he felt like he should contribute somehow. With some guidance from some of the older members of the Tribe, the choice handful that remembered what to do, he decided that he would learn how to work with the horses for farming.

The Elan Soquili found old, rusted equipment and newer, wooden-carved plows among the things stored in the big barn, and brought these things out in the daylight. It was a humid morning, the grass still wet with dew, and Cody panted softly as he fetched some of the more experienced working animals.

Cody struggled with the harness, but he managed to hook Jack up to the plow and, making sure that the equipment didn't actually leave a rift in the ground, stood behind it. The pinto pulled, obedient and easygoing, and Cody made sure he understood the process before he began to untie the gelding. The farmers would be able to use him, Belle, and Gda to plow -- though Cody knew it was his responsibility to make sure new horses were trained, too.

Letting the working animals lose, Cody trotted into the fields to seek out the yearlings and foals he would train, still panting in the heat.

Tie my bones to the saddle and turn our faces to the west

Elan Soquili (NPC)
Raze
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:14 am

I'm a slow butt :c (+400)

The noonday sun burned the brightest yet, and Ocèane found it difficult to avoid panting under the heat. Her thick, dark fur was certainly more suited for providing advantages during the winter months, and while it was shedding a light layer to provide some relief, it was certainly still more a burden then an asset. So she did the only thing she knew to be successful at cooling herself off- bathing in the lake. Slowly she entered the cool water, practically sighing as the chill crept into her warm bones and her faint panting ceased. Drawing her fingers through her hair to untangle it and cleaning it best as was possible in the water, Ocèane did not dally in the lake, though she may have liked to. Ascending the bank to stand on dry land again, she glanced at the flat boulder nestled near the shore, considering the warm rock to once be her favorite place to sit after washing. But since her encounter with Domovoi there, she steered clear of the area, finding even just standing near the rock brought confused emotions to rise in her breast. It was easiest to simply find some other place to recline and braid back her hair, even if it wasn't as comfortable or suiting as the little sun-kissed boulder.

It hadn't taken her a long time to style her hair and slip accentuating bluejay feathers into the dark curls, but already her fur was drying in the heat. She supposed she would need to take several baths a day to even stay cool, and that certainly wasn't an option. Ocèane instead decided to head toward the barn and take stock of Evadne and any of the other horses or animals within. It was better to stand under the shady roof than in the middle of the pounding sunlight. However, just meters from her destination the dancer glimpsed a familiar face, and changed course to meet up with the newest Elan Soquili, a faint smile on her features. "Osiyo, Cody." She nodded, glancing back to the plow horses she had glimpsed him untying from afar. "Preparing for the Anisguti? I'm glad of it, since there don't seem to be many that even keep track of the seasons or their tasks in AniWaya anymore." As much was true; the culture of the tribe was appearing to become increasingly more distant, which brought her great grief. There were scarce few within her birth home that could name every season or speak even a handful of Cherokee words, though she supposed such was to be expected with the newer generations coming in.

Océane Aston

Ann
Luperci the rules of paradise are never nice
I want your fears, your hopes
the whole kaleidoscope

POSTED: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:34 pm

Don't you worry. <3 LOOK HOW SLOW I AM ERRYDAY

A voice greeted him, and Cody suppressed an irrational feeling of frustration. He was going to be interrupted while he worked, and he recognized, at least, that it was his own issues with company rather than the fault of any of his Tribesmates. Dealing with horses was peaceful, in a sense, even when they were fighting him. Luperci were different.

But his usual scowl lightened into something bashful and awkward as he spotted the pretty, chocolate-colored Ocèane approaching. Howdy, he replied, stopping in the field and peering at her. He was glad to see a face that he recognized from before he joined the Tribe -- especially when it was Ocèane's description of AniWaya's lifestyle that had appealed to the boy. He didn't know her any better than he did the rest of the Tribe, but already she seemed like more of a friend than the others he'd met thus far.

He nodded at her question, but her remark made him feel... sad. He'd known since joining AniWaya that the Tribe was small compared to many other packs in the lands, but Aranck (his teacher thus far for anything AniWayan) had mentioned that their culture wasn't as revered by its members as it was in the Great Tribe. Many AniWayans had been born there, back then, but Aranck explained that it was different now.

Even if it wasn't his culture, Cody didn't want to see that way of life die. He nodded again, uncomfortable, and made an awkward gesture for Ocèane to join him (if she even wanted to) as he walked further into the field with rope and halter in hand. Gonna see if I can train any of the young'uns in plowing, he explained. There are other animal caretakers here, but I dunno how their trainin's going so far.

He glanced sidelong at her again, frowning his deep frown. So it's true? No one really... follows the ways no more? He wasn't sure if that was even the proper way to put it, or if the woman would get offended. He was, after all, only an outsider himself.

Tie my bones to the saddle and turn our faces to the west

Elan Soquili (NPC)
Raze
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:42 am

PSHH IM SLOWEST EST (+400)

Ocèane couldn't help how her smile crawled a little wider at Cody's greeting; his accent was simply so intriguing to her. It was so different from the quick, birdlike, almost elegant syllables of her Cherokee language or even the exotic sound of the French tongue- and what surprised her most of all was that it wasn't even due to a different native language. It was simply how words roll of his tongue. Slow and easy- it almost relaxed her. And being around youth as upbeat and innocent as the brown-eyed boy was always uplifted the woman. Sometimes she felt much too old, and even just speaking with someone younger proved to make her feel not as ancient or useless.

At his nod her heart warmed. She was glad he had recognized the thick name of the Cherokee season, and even more so he was taking initiative to help it along. Ocèane often felt like she couldn't help out all that much, besides when festivals were thrown and she could offer her dance or fire keeping duties. She was simply tasked with keeping the Great Fire alive and well and lighting the way for others; not so much making the way. However, she helped how she could, and was saddened to see many of the new tribesmembers only half-heartedly doing so, or having no knowledge of the reason they were doing such labor or what it was worth. "That's very good. I don't know many AniWayans that would be as skilled with horses as you are. And it doesn't help that we have so many of them." She commented, easily falling into pace with him. His question only drew a sad sigh from her, and she lifted a shoulder in a shrug, drawing a hand to pull back a strand of hair that was brushing her beige-tinged muzzle. "It's not necessarily that nobody follows the ways anymore." She tried to explain, pausing to gather what she should say next before continuing. "It's only that some of the newer tribesmembers just do their tasks without knowing how important they are, or why they're doing them. They don't know much about our culture, because there's so much to learn, and only so many older AniWayans to teach them." Ocèane was one of the older ones; born and raised in the tribe. To a point, at least. Until she left for adventure. "But you're off to a good start. I hope you can teach the younger ones some day."

Océane Aston

Ann
Luperci the rules of paradise are never nice
I want your fears, your hopes
the whole kaleidoscope

Dead Topics