How do I language

Oceane

POSTED: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:11 pm

ooc:

Other languages has never been his forte, heck he struggled to speak English properly with his heavy accent. Learning basic AniWayan would help him associate better with the tribe, especially some of the older members that were from the original Great Tribe. Between Gemma and her friend here he would surely be fluent within a few months.

He was trying, no one could accuse him of not. The words were foreign to him, hard to wrap his tongue around and given his accent it was understandable that he was mangling most of these words that were being taught to him. To her credit the woman didn't laugh or mock him. Instead she carefully enunciated each word for him, 'Uli-hel-is-di', he was focusing hard, brows drawn together over one blind and one sharp eye.

"Uli..hel..us..di.' He cursed to himself as he again screwed up the word, "Uli..hel..is..di." This time a bark of laughter as triumph flowed through him. It was such a small thing but for Lorenzo, anything good was smiled upon, especially considering the tension back home. In truth he had come here for a few days to escape it, he could breathe easier without her disapproving stare on him.

Lorenzo Knight

POSTED: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:37 pm

Word Count → 300+ :: Out of Character text

Uli-hel-is-di. The crackling of the fire could not dampen the clarity of her voice or her careful pronunciation. Speaking the Cherokee tongue so slowly was odd for her, as the natural speed of the language was much quicker than English and even French. But the word fell from her tongue as slow as she could manage, and luckily she'd taught others before Lorenzo the basics of the language. The hulking man- perhaps the only Luperci she could claim made her feel small- had been in AniWaya the past while, apparently working towards getting to know their culture and understand the basics of the tribe. She was so very pleased to have an outsider interested in them, even if it was only for the sake of becoming an ambassador to her home. Teaching newcomers what AniWaya was all about was one of her favorite things to claim to do, and she'd long ago known she would have chosen Teaching as her rank path had the fire not been so close to her heart. Good. She smiled brightly as the Cavalier correctly pronounced the word for welcome, holding back a laugh at the triumph that bloomed on his face.

This one is harder, She started, picking a word she knew would be useful to him but difficult to pronounce. Unalihelitseti. Un-ali-hel-its-eti. It means greetings. Ocèane explained, pulling her legs from where they were resting on the dusty ground to sit cross-legged on the edge of the wall that surrounded the Great Fire, facing Lorenzo while leaning forward on her elbows. Did you meet Olivia? My daughter? She figured she could make small talk in between teaching different words; she knew it was best for a brain to rest every once in a while instead of being focused for so long.

Océane Aston

Ann
Luperci the rules of paradise are never nice
I want your fears, your hopes
the whole kaleidoscope

POSTED: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:04 pm

ooc:

Although the word was hard mentally Lorenzo could say that he was honestly enjoying himself, AniWaya had a rich culture and so many stories and tales to tell and that he guessed could only be expressed fully and utterly in its native language. He had listened to his friend Gemma speak of some of those stories and as she had told them by the light of this ever burning fire they had almost come alive before his eyes. As well as the Spirit guides that he often saw appearing and disappearing as they wanted. Lorenzo was not arrogant enough about his own religion to assume it was part of Fenris' design, the sun God watched over the Knights, this was something all on its own.

"Yer tryna kill me aye?" He laughed easily before attempting the word, "Unilahe.. damnit." He rubbed his temples, "Un...ali....hel...its....eti." Maybe because it was similar to the word they had just used, this one came easier despite being longer and more convoluted. A short break would be good he thought, they had been at this for a few hours now. He was nodding to her question, and the spark came back behind his one good eye, "Yv! A ya ugineli." He sniggered, unable to go any more with the simple sentance, "We've met behfore, ah brought gifts, fer AniWhaya, she was ah guide, and greeted me."

Lorenzo Knight

POSTED: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:19 pm

Word Count → 300+ :: Out of Character text

Ocèane was glad for the distraction. Recently all she'd been looking for was distractions; exhausting each and every one of her fire tending duties until she wandered to the stables, and then to her hut, and back again, cleaning every inch and practicing her ceremonial dances over and over. Her wanderlust was tugging at her, the boredom ascending to a point of unbearable. But she wouldn't leave AniWaya again. Her last adventure had been much more than expected, and she figured she'd had enough excitement for a while. Besides, nobody said she couldn't take smaller trips around Nova Scotia. That could always be interesting. That's the plan. She agreed, smiling again at the comment of her killing him. It was a terribly difficult language to learn, but it was beautiful to hear it be spoken, so all of the frustration and mess-ups were all worth it in the end in her eyes.

You're doing very well. She praised, honest of her words. Lorenzo started out even English with a heavy accent, so he was doing excellent for someone so burdened already with language. He spoke again, but this time in Cherokee. A short, quick sentence, but one all the same. Good! Her eyes sparked happily, and she sat up straighter, glad that he had met Olivia. Well, I'm pleased to hear it. If you ever want to learn more, I would go to her. Despite being a leader she is also in the teaching ranks, and I think it would be a good experience for her to teach some. She knew she was volunteering her daughter without consent, but what else were mothers for? It would only help her improve her teaching skills outside of the leader setting. I am glad I got to meet you. You must come again,vv? Ocèane inquired, still smiling in a friendly way. Perhaps this was AniWaya's opportunity to get to know other packs more personally, and for their culture to cease seeming so strange and foreign to those not among them.

Océane Aston

Ann
Luperci the rules of paradise are never nice
I want your fears, your hopes
the whole kaleidoscope

POSTED: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:56 pm

ooc:

He rubbed his temples again, there was a headache forming and he wasn't surprised, it had been a lot of work today. He even had a stack of papers and a pencil in his lap that he had been writing the phonetic sayings of the words and their meanings so that he could practice them when he was away from AniWaya. His fingers were cramping from holding the pencil for so long and his knees were protecting being crossed for so long. He tucked away the sheets of paper and pencils and stretched out his legs before him. Lorenzo was a big man and took up a lot of space. His head tilted curiously as she spoke of her daughter teaching him,

"Oh aye? Well meybbe I'll 'ave tah visit 'er afore I leave." He was planning on staying in AniWaya for a few more days at least so he was sure that he'd get to meet with Olivia again. He was pretty well known around AniWaya by now even if just for his unusual tallness and size.

"It's good tah meet you too, ahn thanks fer teaching me some more, Ah'm hoping ah can speak at least enough tah be understood. Ah'm certain I'll be back, Yv." He smiled back at her, "Yer welcome tah come an visit us in Casa and stay fer a while."

Lorenzo Knight

Dead Topics