Collecting lots of shinies

AW; Wolfville

POSTED: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:41 am

CdC Co-Ranks: Blacksmith Challenge wrote:“Collect metal scraps to add to the blacksmith shop resources.”

Optime | Fore-dated: April | Wolfville; midday | cNPC: Mako; NPC: Whiskey (+515)

Mako blacksmith co-rank thread.

Come help Mako and Teagan collect metal scraps!

For the sun being out, the day felt rather cold with the bitter wind that blew in from the bay. Though, perhaps, the cooler feeling could also be attributed to the abandoned streets of the once populated human town of Wolfville. Stone and concrete, materials typical of the extinct species. They seemed to have a strange affinity for it, so much so they made even their streets from it. Nature had reclaimed a lot of the ruins now though, something that could be more clearly seen now that spring was on the rise once again. Greenery peeked up where the concrete and stone had cracked, grew along the sides of buildings and walls where moisture collected. Little budding flowers and other long-stemmed plants waved and danced with the breeze as it moved through the mazework of the town.

The Stryder had taken a break from her usual routines, though, it had not been for pleasure. Mako had had an experimental idea in mind, and he had not wanted to waste the blacksmiths’ shop’s available ore and metal stock for it. If he was going to waste metal for an untested idea, he wanted to do it without worry of ruining good materials. It had been a while since Teagan had visited Wolfville, but, with it being a place once inhabited by humans, the Lionheart had faith that they would be able to find scrap pieces somewhere in there.

They had brought Mako’s mare, Whiskey along, fixing her to the cart they’d brought up from Portland with them when the Ridley had first joined the Cavaliers. Utilizing the cart and draft horse would make it so their haul could be larger, as well, easier to take back to the Fort. The roan mare was more than happy for the work, and happily pulled the empty cart to their destination.

Once in town, Mako and Teagan had roughly split up, each one checking a different side of the road as they moved through the town. Whiskey moved along without much direction needed, more keen on sampling what few greens she could find and staying within view of Mako than caring about wandering off. Only occasionally, when the two Luperci would decide to check a building, did they have to give the mare a command to stay.

At one point, the pair had found a promising heap of random pieces of scrap dumped beside a building. They picked through it, Teagan with a rather disinterested eye as she found herself tossing more rusted pieces of metal than anything worthwhile. “How much metal do you need?” She asked, picking up a piece of twisted steel and turning it over in her hands.

“Enough,” he replied, tossing a piece he had found into what must have been a “keep” pile.

Teagan raised a lip at him, irritated, “How much?”

The wolfdog smirked up at her, “I’ll let you know when we have enough.”

She fought the urge to roll her eyes as she tossed her piece of scrap into the same pile as his own.

Teagan Stryder

Casa di Cavalieri
War Lord
Songbird
The Brotherhood: Master of Bladed Weapons
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:43 am

Optime | Mid-Day | Late March | Wolfville
NPCs: Birdflower and Druzy

561 You had me at shiny and I couldn't resist lol. This is going to be a priority for me to reply to reply to and shouldn't take longer than a couple of days (And Teagan&Iorek threads are always fun). Iorek found a Swiss Army Modell 1961 knife that he can give to Mako and help them with scavenging. Druzy is a new crow that Iorek recently acquired! She probably saw the metal and rushed towards it but feel free to have her saying her little catchphrase! Tell me if anything needs to be edited <3

See galleries for credit.

Iorek's massive Optime shape padded along the dilapidated streets of the town close to Casa di Cavalieri. He was scanning the ground as he went as he seemed to be searching for something. On the ground was a crow with lilac eyes, hopping and flapping as she chirpped excitedly. The beast was wearing his normal attire of feathers, bracelets, and necklaces as well as his satchel which clinked as he moved. His outfit consisted of a white shirt, red flannel, and a pair of black pants. There was one small change to his appearance which was the presence of crow feathers in his mane, though it probably blended in amongst the magpie feathers as well. A magpie perched on the wolfdog's shoulder as he walked along the road.

Druzy seemed to bounce back to life after the massive medic had found her soggy and shivering in the rain. He only knew her name because she repeated it to him several times. She was an eager and energetic bird that seemed to share the hybrid's interest in scavenging, especially for shiny items. She was over the moon about being in this new place and she hopped around like an excited puppy. The feral nurse followed her since she seemed to have an eye for anything that reflected the light and had already lead him to a few metal pieces during their few scavenging trips.

"Shiny! Shiny!" The crow landed and began pecking at a small scrap of rusty metal. The brown behemoth picked up his pace slightly and then he bent down to examine the metal. Rusty metal wasn't very pretty and it wasn't his favorite thing to collect. By then, the eager corvid had already went on to find more pieces of metal. The giant turned away from the metal piece and then heard Druzy again squawking, "Shiny!" He found her perched in the inside of one of the big metal object that he remembered Riley referring to as a "car". The beast padded warily towards the thing and then he bent down to see what she was looking at. She was in the middle of the car between two of the soft things. She was pecking at a piece of metal that was a bit rusted and tarnished though it shined in some places. He reached in and picked it up, examining it. The chocolate-saddled brute turned away from the car and looked at the object.

The scarlet-eyed Sworn didn't understand the purpose of this object. It was a small object with a weird texture and a red and silver design on one side. He was about to put it away when he realized that the lilac-eyed bird had wandered off. He scanned the area, looking for the bird when he heard her call of, "Shiny! Shiny!" and saw her body disappear behind a building. The beast picked up his pace and then turned the corner to see the eager creature perched on top of a small pile of scrap metal. But then he saw Teagan and Mako there as well. She had interrupted whatever they were doing and she turned to see him, holding a piece of metal in her beak. D-Druzy! the crimson-eyed Cavalier hissed and then addressed the other two awkwardly, S-Sorry a-about h-her. Sh-She r-really l-likes sh-shiny o-objects.

"Bit too much," Birdflower croaked from his perch.

Edit: Added wiki links for Birdflower and Druzy

Edit: Added a new kind of dropdown menu
Last edited by Iorek on Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Silverfrost
Luperci Healer, Scavenger The Brotherhood: Master of Tooth and Claw
You've spent a life time stuck in silence
What I wanna save I will try

POSTED: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:06 am

I hope you guys don't mind me getting in on this! Let me know if anything needs to be changed.

Human towns made Lake uncomfortable, therefore he preferred to stay away from them. The mishmash of wood metal and concrete usually over-stimulated him when he looked upon them even from a distance, and the same was true for Wolfville, the town nestled in the midst of Casa di Cavalieri. But his mother, feral though she was, had once taught him to push the boundaries of comfort; saying that doing so was essential for personal growth. This was why the mottled Wolfdog now found himself loping down the road into the town, his posture conveying his obvious discomfort with ears plastered low and shoulders slightly hunched. The deep depression he had recently experienced was waning, but its greedy claws lingered, still lashing for him, and it was as if he were constantly running away from their persistent grasp.

He expected to be alone here, free to roam as he pleased, without any of his more confident packmates possibly casting judgement upon his tentative attitude. However, as he made his way down the road he spied a small group huddled around a pile of unknown and strange objects. He paused mid-step, ears lifting curiously, and examined the group. His discomfort eased when he recognized Iorek standing amongst them, apparently participating. The cocoa-hued man was likely the only canine among the dwellers of Casa who could understand Lake's state of mind; therefore Iorek's presence never failed to soothe him.

This established, Lake began towards them again, compelled by his own curiosity and by his need to make himself useful after so many weeks of uselessness and inactivity. He drew up to them with a forced smile, his long fluffy tail waving behind him.

"Need any help?" he spoke, clearing his throat softly afterwards.
Casa di Cavalieri
Second Cadet (NPC)
killi
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:33 pm

cNPC: Mako; NPC: Whiskey (+828)

Thanks for joining, y’all! I’m going to try to keep this one moving since it was intended for a co-rank thread ^___^

Made the assumption that Teagan would know Lake at least by name due to how long he’s been with the pack!

They continued to sort through the mess of metal that they had come across. Most of it was “junk” or, at least, not “good enough” in the blacksmith’s eyes. The Lionheart resorted to simply finding pieces that were more silver than brittle, rusted red in color and letting Mako sort from there. From the looks of things thus far, scavengers—be it human or Luperci—had already picked over a lot of what there was to be gleaned from the waste that had been left behind after the fall of the humankind. The majority of the pieces Teagan ended up tossing into the pile looked like little more than trash to her untrained eye.

To the Ridley though, there was plenty of life left to be used out of them. Melted down and remade into something new, he could imagine all sorts of new purposes for the abandoned pieces. Those of lesser quality could be forged into more mundane and everyday things, such as wood nails or new chicken wire, maybe even into hinges or screws if he had an original piece to model after. They could also be used for practice pieces too, to try something new—like a possibly new forging technique—or give to a new-learner to use without wasting good materials. The higher quality pieces would be saved for, obviously, serious pieces, such as weaponry or armor parts.

It was how they worked for a time, Teagan mostly digging and collecting before the pieces were passed onto Mako for quality checking and final sorting either back into the abandoned streets or into the cart to be brought back to the Fort with them. Whiskey was patient as ever, and seemed rather content to simply stand and look around or nibble on whatever random shoots of grass or greenery had managed to grow up through the broken pieces of road or sidewalk.

“What about this thing?” Teagan asked, tugging harshly on a stubborn piece of thick wire from its resting place.

Mako’s icy gaze flicked to where she stood. “That’s rebar,” he explained. The name of the metal meant little to Teagan. “If it doesn’t break apart if you smack it against the concrete, toss it into the cart. I can see how well it works out this time.” He had tried to melt down the sturdy pieces of metal in the past, however, most times, they did not yield good product.

Their attention waned at the sound of wingbeats and a decidedly bird-like voice exclaiming something. Next thing they knew, a black bird—a crow—flew down and landed upon the growing pile of metal in Whiskey’s cart. Their brows furrowed, and the pair shared a look at the oddity as the bird picked up a piece from their pile. Mako had moved to try to retrieve the pilfered scrap and try to shoo the bird when a familiar, earthen figure rounded the corner looking like he had been running.

“Iorek?” Teagan said with a frown. What was he doing out here? The answer quickly became clear when he addressed the bird, calling it “Druzy,” a name that made about as much sense as “Birdflower” in the Stryder’s opinion. Her canary gaze flicked from Iorek and his magpie friend to what appeared to be a new companion of his. “I can see,” she acknowledged flatly.

“Please don’t let her take any of it,” Mako requested, his tone much friendlier than the warrior princess’, “We’re trying to collect metal for the forge.”

Teagan’s gaze shifted as another arrived onto the scene. It was one of the more doggish individuals amongst a pack comprised mostly of wolves or high-content hybrids. His coloration made him recognizable almost immediately. “First Cadet Lake,” Teagan greeted, though, her tone being as neutral as it was might have made it seem more like an announcement to the others of the male’s presence than anything else.

Mako turned to view the newcomer, a friendly smile on his lips at the mottled wolfdog’s question. “The more the merrier,” he replied. His icy blue gaze shifted between Iorek and Lake then, “As I was explaining to Iorek, we’re collecting metal scraps for the forge. We’d definitely cover more ground and probably collect more metal in this trip if we had some help.”

“As long as it’s not rusted to the point of being brittle, it should be okay,” the Lionheart added.

The Ridley stepped towards Lake, his tail wagging. “I don’t think we’ve formally met. I’m Ridley Makoto, but you can call me ‘Mako.’”

In the meantime, Teagan moved to the cart and placed the piece of rebar inside after giving it a sound whack on the pavement. “Do you think you can tell your new friend to search for ‘shinies’ that aren’t from this pile?” She asked Iorek while eyeing the crow.

Teagan Stryder

Casa di Cavalieri
War Lord
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:29 pm

Optime | Mid-Day | April | Wolfville
NPCs: Birdflower and Druzy

643 Iorek is basically doing this to Druzy (the example is the third bird in his arm on the left).

Didn't know what form Lake was in so made it ambiguous. Assumed that the events that happened in the old Iorek/Lake thread took place but will edit if needed!

See galleries for credit.

Druzy gave no indication that she even registered Iorek's presence or even heard him call to her. She was busy pecking at the metal items in the big wooden thing behind the horse, the beast vaguely remembered Riley referring to it as a "cart". At least Birdflower had matured a little when compared to the crow and wasn't going crazy at the sight of something shiny. He did like shiny items though was more picky when it came to that. The magpie preferred more valuable-looking items like gemstones and not the slightly shiny items that the other corvid went after. The wolfdog had his hands full with her.

The massive medic looked to Mako as he asked the beast to keep the bird from taking anything. She wasn't the type to take things, more of announce that she found something and wait for him to pick it up for her. He didn't know what a forge was but figured that it was of importance to the man. The male padded forwards, stealing a look at the horse s he didn't trust the creature not to push the cart backwards or something, and gently picked up the lilac-eyed crow and tucked her between the crook of his elbow and his body. Sh-She f-finds th-things b-but h-has m-me p-pick th-them u-up. It had been the reason that he was able to come up to her, since the bird thought that the feral nurse was coming to pick up the objects she had found.

The brown behemoth turned when he heard a new voice, a familiar one. He smiled as he saw the familiar wolfdog, Lake and greeted him with a H-Hi L-Lake, after Teagan had announced the male's presence- or greeted him- the beast couldn't tell.. The male had been a newly-turned shifter and the beast had helped the man shift back to his original feral form. While the beast had taken leaps into more civilized ways, he was still in the grey area between being highly humanized and being feral. The other male had been a Luperci for less than six moons and still was feral. The beast offered him a welcoming smile but let the other two do the talking. Then the crow weaseled out of the chocolate-saddled brute's hold and flew back to the cart with the shinies.

Then the warrior princess asked if the scarlet-eyed Sworn could tell the crow to look for shiny objects outside of the pile. Well, the bird didn't understand that many commands- or any past "good" and "no" -but the gears turned in his head. Remembering the metal object that he still had in his other hand. he walked forward and tapped it against the cart to get the bird's attention, and it did. Her eyes were fixed on the metal object and then the beast made the movement of tossing the object away and the bird flew off. But then the hulking hybrid turned back to Mako. W-We f-found th-this, th-though y-you m-might kn-know wh-what t-to d-do w-with th-this. The crimson-eyed Cavalier held a metal object out to the wolfdog, the same object he used to get the bird's attention.

"Shiny! Shiny!" Druzy called out from somewhere else.

"Guuuuuuuuurl," Birdflower said, though it was unsure as to who he was referring to.

Silverfrost

POSTED: Tue May 01, 2018 4:26 pm

Lake smiled in return greeting to the grizzly-furred male and then to Teagan, but was otherwise quiet as the group exchanged words regarding the birds and their behaviors, the man named Mako requesting that Iorek forbid the magpie from taking anything out of the rubble pile. It did seem like a bad force of irony that of everyone who could have approached Teagan and Mako, it was Iorek, who had brought along his feathered friends including none other than a magpie. The matter was quickly settled when Iorek assured that his birds would comply.

It was then that Mako approached him and greeted him specifically,holding out a hand. The Merle hybrid stared at the outstretched hand-paw for a few seconds before it registered that he was supposed to grab it in his own. Lake lifted his arm from his side and grasped the creme colored hand, held firmly for a brief moment and let go. He cleared his throat nervously. "Good to meet you, Mako . " It would take time for him to grow accustomed to humanized methods of greeting. He was still used to sniffing, or licking faces and wagging tails as means of hello, or goodbye. He worried that Mako and Teagan thought that he was stupid, as he usually did when he was around any Casa wolf apart from Night and Iorek. The First Cadet was therefore exceptionally grateful that the once feral canine had joined them today.

Lake listened carefully to the instructions given. He wished to do exactly as asked, not to impress his pack mates as much as to show them that he was not, in fact, stupid. That he was capable. That they had not made a mistake in letting him join them. Chewing his lip, he moved to the pile and began to look, moving aside a piece that was entirely covered in rust, like a rock covered in moss, to reveal another piece that only had a few tiny speckles of red-brown. The metal chunk was small, about the size of his hand, but it was something. He held it out to show Mako and Teagan. "Er, is this good?"
Casa di Cavalieri
Second Cadet (NPC)
killi
Luperci

POSTED: Sun May 06, 2018 5:58 pm

cNPC: Mako; NPC: Whiskey (+426)

When Lake didn’t immediately take his offered hand, Mako was initially worried that he might have done something wrong. He—like Teagan—had grown up in a relatively humanized environment, so, the show of good faith was typically recognized when offered. The mottled wolfdog though seemed almost confused by the gesture, and the Japanese male had nearly taken his hand back when it seemed to click within Lake on what Mako had intended with his outstretched hand. A quick but firm handshake, and it was obvious that the fellow Cadet was nervous even still.

Mako merely continued to offer Lake a friendly, reassuring smile. The guy was probably just shy.

With Teagan, meanwhile, she and the fellow Brotherhood member were trying to work out a way to get Druzy to leave the growing metal pile alone. The Sworn came up with an idea easily enough, tricking the crow into chasing after…nothing. Teagan smirked, amused by the stroke of genius within the normally simple-minded male. Mako, on the other hand, let out a laugh as he shook his head, turning and beginning the search for more metal scraps.

Iorek turned back to her and Mako then, and Teagan snatched the Ridley by his arm to get his attention once more. He paused, stretching out his hand to receive whatever it was that Iorek had found. Mako’s brows furrowed at the small thing that was placed in his grasp, turning it over and over in his hand as he tried to make sense of what it might have been used for. Obviously, it wasn’t just a random piece of scrap metal.

Mako occupied, Teagan moved to search with Lake, sifting through another pile near him.

The Cadet picked at the item, his claws trying to make sense of the strange contours and lines of it. From the looks of it, he had a feeling that the thing was made to come apart…but…how? He was distracted from his fussing when Lake spoke up. His glacier gaze flicked to the mottle male, inspecting the piece of metal in his hand. “Perfect,” he told him with a nod. “Just toss it in with the rest. So long as it’s not super tiny, I can make wood nails or something out the smaller pieces of metal.”

Teagan added a piece she had found, her canary eyes shifting to where she heard Druzy calling out like a tiny beacon about—presumably—some “shiny” that she had found. “What did she find, Iorek?” She asked aloud.

Teagan Stryder

Casa di Cavalieri
War Lord
Songbird
You shoot me down
but I won't fall
I am titanium

POSTED: Mon May 21, 2018 12:18 pm

I am not a stranger to the dark.
"Hide away," they say,
"We don't want your broken parts"

Iorek watched the exchange between Mako and Lake. He didn't understand the action either, but he knew what it was for. It was some kind of weird meeting gesture, something that was more prevalent in more humanized Luperci. He remembered the time when someone did the same thing that the humanized male had. Unlike the blue-eyed hybrid, the beast had just stared at the hand for a couple of moments. So, the Cadet was doing well in this humanized world, probably adjusting quicker than the wolfdog had.

The massive medic went back to help Teagan get Druzy away from the cart. He got her attention with the weird piece of metal she helped him find and then pretended to throw the object and having the bird fly after it. Then, he handed it to the blacksmith since the man could make more sense of it than the beast could. Though, it seemed like the male was not accustomed to the object either. The beast was not very knowledgeable about human artifacts, well not as knowledgeable as some. He was familiar with the typical objects and was particularly well-versed with jewelry, but things like weapons and other objects were foreign to him. Then, the feral nurse was pulled out of his thoughts when the warrior princess got his attention.

The scarlet-eyed Sworn followed the bird's trail. He didn't check to see if anyone followed him as he scanned the street for a familiar ebony shape. The beast found her soon enough, pecking at something that glinted in the sun. She was on the ground and he got to her soon enough. The crow found some weird circular objects. They were tarnished and worn, silver and familiar to the scavenger. He picked up Druzy, earning a cry of surprise, and then he picked up the objects. With the bird tucked under his arm, the crimson-eyed Cavalier walked back to the others. Sh-She f-found th-this, The beast showed the objects to the others.

Sorry for the wait! 330

Silverfrost

Dead Topics