the curse of the fold

POSTED: Fri May 31, 2019 2:09 am

Brocade wasn’t sure how any of this was supposed to work.

He had abandoned the Last Supper and his betrothed to immediately fall into the arms of the woman who had spurned him. Somehow he had managed to stumble back to his watch tower unnoticed, collapsing into his bed of furs exhausted and filled with wine. As he slept he had twisted and turned, murmuring soft nothings into the wide softness of his pillow.

Adelia as always had watched quietly from her new vantage point on the window sill, her small paws curled in towards her chest as she watched him sleep.

Finally, when he was silent, she disappeared to hunt – ignoring the scent of wine that rolled off of him in waves. When he awoke it was to too much sunlight, for it streamed through the narrow windows to collect in pretty golden pools across his floorboards – too bright to stare at directly. His hair stood in all directions, the greying near his temples more evident as he tugged it into a loose, low hanging pony-tail.

The knock at his door surprised him, and when he opened it he bawked – instantly tucking the front of his tunic into his loose fitting trousers and smoothing the muss of curls around his forehead.

”Morgana,” He greeted, smiling at her a moment before stepping to gather the russet woman in his arms, ”To what do I-“ He glanced over her shoulder to the pile of belongings that lay across the back of a grazing horse.

”What’s this?”

>:)

Salsola
The Inquisitor
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite
you forget I have a gypsy heart
listen to the wild

POSTED: Fri May 31, 2019 7:42 pm

It was good, in a way, that he should enter their union so torn by doubt. Morgana did not know what had gone on that night – she had noticed his absence at the end, when she found herself walking home alone.

She had been alone for many seasons now, though.

That morning, as cheerful as the singing birds, Morgana let herself be swept into his embrace and smile as if she did not recall each and every single time someone spurned her. No, she was laughing and stood with pride despite Brocade's apparent confusion.

Oh Brocade, you've seen Pythios before, she teased, pushing a hand lightly against the man's chest. I'm glad I caught you before you were off – between all your patrols and whatever's going on over there, Morgana tossed her head in the vague direction of the building slowly emerging from timber and thatch. It occurred to me that we might as well be as efficient as possible, what with your duties being what they are and what I've got to work with. Did you know my best friends used to live in this tower?

Before he could stop her she slipped inside, craning her neck to look upwards and examine the structure. This was different than what she had remembered, older and more worn. It had been Blair's sister's first, but then she too had been betrothed the way Morgana was now.

How long have you been here? It's – oh, well, nevermind that now – is there somewhere I should put my things? I'd like to let Pythios relax, and this field is desperately overgrown. You have a horse, don't you? We ought to bring him here. I've always liked this view, she peered from a window outlooking the pasture, only to turn swiftly back to the dumbstruck Director, smiling as if she had not just invaded his home.

Salsola
The Arbiter
Mel
Luperci Witch Silver Scales & Silver Blood
light as a feather
stiff as a board

POSTED: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:00 am

She flitted around him like a bird, her hands flapping like beautiful wings against his chest, his shoulders. Morgana brushed passed him like wildfire, assessing the home that had once been inhabited by her best friends. The Southern Watcher tower had lain empty for entire seasons and so was covered in the dust and debris that came with listlessness. The construction did not help, and Brocade could see now where dust had begun to gather along the few panes of glass that remained.

”I, um-“ He was caught up in the splendor of her, and his shoulders still warm from where her hands had rest against him.

”Not long. Not long at all. Can’t you tell?” He gazed about the room and was suddenly terribly aware of how empty it all was. ”It needs a womans touch.” He smiled at her, creeping closer to nuzzle gently at her shoulder. He was painfully aware that he had spent the night previous lost in the dark arms of their Queen. ”You’re speaking so fast. You're making me nervous.” He chuckled and raised a hand to gently smooth one of the long curls of her hair. Black twisted with red, and it made him smile softly to himself.

”When the barracks are completed there will be a place for us to keep the horses. Tonnerre will be happy to be so close. Have you met Adelia?” He glanced about as if to check if she was watching, "She is almost always around - like a ghost. I'm sure she will be very interested to learn all about you." He stepped closer and grinned, "Just like me."

Salsola
The Inquisitor
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite
listen to the wild

POSTED: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:34 pm

Yes, her smile said, though she appeared too polite to comment on his lived-in household. Still dusty, still thick with the scent of cats and fading lilac, Morgana understood that he had only just made himself master of the place.

She would become its mistress soon enough.

The horses, he said, as if he already knew what gift her heart was set upon. He was obvious enough, tied up out there with all her things, but Morgana had been patient and could continue to wait for what she wanted. Everything was being rewarded. Everyone who had made her a promise fulfilled it, little by little. This was how the magic was meant to work.

Only briefly, but I'm sure we'll all get along. I've left Celeste behind for now, until I sort out her accommodations – lovely thing, but fussy about where she roosts. We'll have plenty of time to get to know one another, now that we are to be wed. Morgana laughed and clapped her hands together, freeing herself from his embrace.

Show me what you have! We can figure things out together – oh, we should bring my things in too, would you be a dear and help me? It will go faster with more hands.

And indeed it did, for between the two of them it did not take long to unload the pile of material and goods Morgana had brought with her. Pythios was released to the fenced-in field near the tower, taking at once to the too-tall grass with great abandon.

What did you like about your home before this? Is there something you'd like us to have here? She asked him once they had returned to the central room. Morgana liked the building and was pleased Brocade had chosen it. The stones helped to keep the structure cool, and with the multiple open windows air flowed freely – and upwards too, where the roof had been parted to allow smoke to travel out.

Salsola
The Arbiter
Mel
light as a feather
stiff as a board

POSTED: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:18 pm

He was reminded more and more that Morgana was truly a flame. She danced and skipped like an ember when she moved, carefully inspecting with her golden eyes even as she spoke. Brocade stood still as she escaped his embrace, pricking a tattered ear towards her as they began to unload the horse. It was quick work, as the larger wolf carried the heavier objects – stacking them carefully in the centre of the room beneath her careful instruction.

”A lot of my things were destroyed in the fire. What you see inside is what I have unfortunately – I spent many nights alone beneath a canvas tent until I found the tower.” He chuckled, ”When I say that the place needs a womans touch… I am very serious. I cannot have my new wife living in a soldiers quarters!” The place was barren save for a sad looking cot and a bundle of furs – a ramshackle table that had been pushed up against one wall.

He could envision however what Morgana would expect of the home – fresh cut flowers and dried herbs hanging from the eaves – a place where she could concoct whatever merchant devices she needed. He glanced at her as he placed the final item down, appreciative of the fierce way with which she took in everything.

He brushed dust from the front of his tunic and offered a smile that was suddenly predatory, ”...We will need a bigger bed.”

Salsola
The Inquisitor
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite
listen to the wild

POSTED: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:36 am

How simple it seemed, his quiet lifestyle – a man out in the wilderness, roaming and resting where he pleased. It was a young man's dream. She herself had traveled like this, long ago, but the road brought her here as the spirits intended.

Brocade was a new exciting thing in Morgana's life, and now that he was her beloved, the time had come to establish him within her world.

Oh he was a handsome thing when he smiled.

As large as can be allowed, she promised him with a sultry look. There was much to establish between them still. He had slept in her bed and in her arms. She had studied the feeling of his muscles and his scars, and combed her fingers through his ash-colored hair while the drink carried him to deeper dreams. She wanted everything to be done properly, and now that she had reason to demand more her reach was already growing. I'll make us something wonderful.

She reached a hand out to him, feeling a need to touch him again. The more they were around one another the more the betrothal would be realized. They would become a unit, the two of them, inseparable and forever-together as the Crown commanded.

I mean it, Brocade, she grew very serious, finally containing her excitement. You and I are partners now, and where we live should belong to both of us. Tell me what you like, Morgana urged, pulling him towards the door so they could view the cluttered space in its entirety. She could recall what Blair and Reykja had done with the tower and sought to improve upon it. Brocade's contributions would be at her discretion, certainly, but she wanted to hear his ideas.

Salsola
The Arbiter
Mel
light as a feather
stiff as a board

POSTED: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:41 am

Brocade had always had an image of what his life would be. Salsola had acted as his launching point, anchoring him to a territory long enough for him to spread his roots and learn ambition. Calla had dragged him here after Hyacinth, eager to leave the caravans behind and to start a life that was their own. It seemed that many came to Salsola in this way, Outsiders who fell into the bosom of the crown instead of being born to it.

Somehow here, with his hands draped around Morganas waist as they surveyed the tower – their tower – he felt that this was right.

He stood behind her, resting his chin against her shoulder as they surveyed the empty home. She was right, for even from here it was evident that there was nothing that marked the place as theirs. Morgana would be promoted as a result of their marriage, and the Director wanted to ensure that she had only the best that the Thistle Kingdom had to offer.

The man kissed her cheek softly before speaking, hugging her close.

When he spoke it was with a grin hidden in the long curls of her hair.

'Fine, fine." He clicked his teeth and thought for a long moment, ”I want the space to be comfortable. Perhaps a place to display my spear and store my armor?”

Salsola
The Inquisitor
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite
listen to the wild

POSTED: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:20 pm

The goal here was always the same – too root and prosper. Like the purple flowers on their borders or those great dark forests, everyone here sought to establish themselves and build families and legacies worth remembering.

She was a Revlis and knew this as well as anyone else.

Each time he leaned into her, their scents mingled. Mine, each kiss said. Did he remember her as she did him? Morgana was no fool. It was difficult to avoid the way men stared at their Queen, but Elphaba was something greater than them all. She required greatness to ascend. Their previous Boss had waited a long time, until the powers that be sent a mate to her.

Morgana was nearly done with waiting.

She laughed at Brocade's question and looked up at him with merriment. Of course, she promised. Pulling away from him, she stepped into the center of the space and looked up. You know what would help us get started? I think we should clean this place before we make any big changes, that way we can see what's hiding under all those dust bunnies. While the weather gets nice we can patch where the cold might get in, and I'll plant a garden. Everything will be perfect by the time we're married, Morgana crooned this word with obvious delight, stepping away from Brocade and towards his makeshift bed. You haven't gotten used to sleeping on cold hard ground, have you? I wouldn't want to be uncomfortable, she teased, bending at the waist to push her hand against the pile.

Salsola
The Arbiter
Mel
light as a feather
stiff as a board

POSTED: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:19 am

Had he known all of the planning that had gone into ensuring that Morgana fell into his open arms he would have had more questions for their glistening Queen. Instead he felt himself aptly paid, for though he shoved Elphaba as far from his thoughts as his mind would allow – a part of him understood that their time was not over. Morgana would be bolstered by his rank and perhaps his name – but as a Revlis she was already from a line of greatness that ran straight through Salsolas centre.

”A garden?” He couldn’t help the way his ears pricked forward curiously, ”I haven’t been known to have a green thumb… but for you I am willing to try.”

He smiled softly, ”I imagine that it will be quite the affair.”

Salsolans were always after an excuse to celebrate, though at the core of it it was to jockey for position. He had seen it in the way ambition burned flame-bright, in the way that members sat in new positions each time the pack gathered for a new feast. Always Symre sat at the bottom, her blood-red gaze unperturbed by her lack of movement.

He hummed softly, as he appraised her curves, ”It’s time for me to abandon that tiny tent.” He chuckled and pinched her gently, ”I am ready to be comfortable.”

Salsola
The Inquisitor
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite
listen to the wild

Dead Topics