don't follow me, you'll end up in my arms

POSTED: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:26 pm

The world of horse riding was an entirely new one to Fennore, but that did not stop her from wanting to take Lirael everywhere as soon as Tamlin had trained her.

She was by no means a proficient jockey, and it seemed the equine herself was also very aware of this fact, but her skills were serviceable enough for the creature to listen to her and follow her (sometimes unclear) instruction. Sometimes the snap of the reigns was too harsh, or her few words too vague, but as they rode further west, the wolfess seemed to pick up on the little things Lirael looked out for. She was used to the golden scout, and it appeared that to get her to perform to her full potential she needed the same sort of energy he oozed so freely.

After all, Tamlin and his horse were simple creatures and they fed off of each other. Fennore, meanwhile, was more rigid and professional in her administration, which, while it didn't make Lirael anxious, did not seem to function as effectively.

Nevertheless, she brought them to the foot of another mountain range, one similar yet distinct from the misty peaks of Mount Oromocto. These ridges were more lax than those familiar to her, though. She wondered briefly if she should even continue this way, despite how slight the incline would be — would the horse be... alright... there? She looked at Lirael with a bit of puzzlement, suddenly painfully aware of her own ignorance for the nth time that day.

Perhaps Tamlin was right to worry about her, as young and naive as she still was.

"We will stop for now," she whispered in the creature's ear, dismounting her with a bit of effort and watching as Lirael wandered for a patch of grass to crop. Her eyes swept from the rolling mountains back to the direction she came as she thought, her mouth drawn in a pensive line and a slender hand stroking her muzzle. Should they continue? Or would it be wise to return while the day was still young? White ears twitched as Lirael snorted and whipped her tail nearby.

woohoo lyssa! thank you for jumping in on this, ruby <3

avatars by Abby, Kiri, and Nat • signature by Despi
New Caledonia
Privileged
veldt
'Souls Soldier of Love Luperci
Songs from the Wood

POSTED: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:09 pm

Outside the dawn is breaking, But inside in the dark I'm aching to be free

OOC: 250+ wc

Lyssa patrolled around the edges of the Burnt Mountains atop of Belle. The gait of the painted white and chestnut mare was slow and steady as they surveyed the area. The threat of the fanatic wolves was gone; The new pack had worked together to be sure of that. But she still wanted to be sure that it stayed that way. The fear and agony they had faced were still fresh in their minds.

She glanced down at the sling that held her left arm. It had been her own self-absorption that had gotten her in that situation in the first place. It was ignorant of her to try and steal a horse from the enemy, especially with so little knowledge of horses to begin with. Despite the injury, it had worked out in her favor; She had gotten her own revenge on the old man, gotten a sack of resources, and a new horse for the pack out of it. And he had received a fitting fate, though not by her own hands.

Up ahead she spotted a figure, and for a moment her heart stopped. Then she noticed the billowing of a familiar red cape worn by a gorgeous white furred lady with hair as red as the sun. The woman stood close to a tan horse with black socks, grazing in the afternoon sun. They seemed to be stopped for a break.

"Fennore!" Lyssa called out with a gleeful smile. She brought Belle to a trot and made her way closer. "My ma chérie, you sure are far from Mt. Oromocto!" It had been quite a while since she had last seen her friend.

Last edited by Lyssa Fontaine on Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Del Cenere Gang
El Probado
Ruby
Luperci You have to love yourself a fire

POSTED: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:02 pm

Lirael was just as content with grazing as she was galloping across the landscape, Fennore came to find. While the mare loved speed and the freedom her powerful hooves brought, she just as well loved munching down on all sorts of vegetation springing forth from the earth. It must have been nice, being a creature that simple-minded and lacking worries.

Earrings jingled as her ears swiveled to a new sound, and her pink nose twitched at the vaguely familiar scent. As she looked further ahead, there was a recognizable lady riding towards the pair; her distinctly tawny fur was unmistakable, and as she called out for Fennore the wolf gave her a reserved smile.

"Lyssa," she greeted politely, dipping her muzzle and crossing her arms loosely as she scanned her eyes over the painted mare with subdued interest. "Oh yes, we are just exploring. This is Lirael." She gave the horse a gentle pat as she continued pillaging the local greenery. "Admittedly not my horse, but she might as well be." A devious glint shined in her eyes then as she thought of Tamlin briefly, though her thoughts readjusted accordingly as she looked upon her friend more fondly now.

"Last we met, you mentioned your friends setting up camp somewhere near here. Is that still the case?" She nodded to the rolling peaks of the range behind them. "Past those, maybe?"

<3

New Caledonia
Privileged
veldt
Songs from the Wood

POSTED: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:02 pm

Her friend turned to Lyssa with an airy smile. It had been so long since she'd seen Fennore; Like at least a month or two. So much has changed since then. Lyssa dismounted in order to catch up with her.

At the mention of the others Lyssa glanced towards the Northwest, the direction she had come. "Oh yes, we have settled down... sort of" Lyssa paused awkwardly as she glanced over the wolfish figure of her friend. While she was very short for a wolf, she still had that unmistakable build.

"To be honest, I am excited to see you again, but I should warn you to be traveling this close..." Lyssa sighed. While she knew Fennore meant no harm, the horrors of the last few weeks were still fresh in her mind. When she closed her eyes she could still see the clouded eyes of the Reverand staring blankly forward. She shook her head to try and dispell the thought. While she knew Fennore, she was certain the others might not. And the last thing they wanted was more wolves hovering around the borders.

"We were attacked but a group of wolves. They desecrated the body of one of our own as a message. Set fire to our camp. Started a stampede. We spent many nights listening to their haunting howls as they hunted us. Lyssa met Fennore's soft violet eyes with her own hardened ones. "But don't you worry, we took care of the problem. The Cartel and the Drygrass Posse joined together to overcome our enemy."

Realizing what Lyssa had said, she broke her eye contact quickly. "Sorry. We have just been very jumpy of late. I just worry what could happen if one of the others thought you were here for hostile reasons..." Lyssa drifted off.

Last edited by Lyssa Fontaine on Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Del Cenere Gang
El Probado
Ruby

POSTED: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:14 pm

There was a cautiousness to Lyssa's words, a hidden fear she seemed reluctant to share. Fennore's head tilted slightly, and while the motion was out of curiosity and perhaps slight concern, it could very easily have come across as annoyance had this been a stranger; though this coyote girl knew her to be standoffish, so maybe it wouldn't be taken too harshly.

Quietly, respectfully, the Moonwraith allowed her to give her story in its entirety, as full of strife and emotion as it was. She was a bit taken aback by the severity of it all, the atrocities carried out by canines that looked like her; surely this was why it was dangerous out here for her, then? Thank the gods Lyssa had been here to warn her, then, for Fennore would have been otherwise completely unaware of the back and forth conflict. She met the girl's stony amber stare with an understanding nod, a mild gaze. "Oh, my, Lyssa," she started, shaking her head as if in disbelief. "That is quite horrible. But I am relieved to hear your group has recovered from such travesties."

Her tail twitched. "Joined together," she repeated. "As in... You are of a pack now, then?" That would be something very interesting indeed, a pack forming in the west. "You say wolves attacked you, so your groups must have been — what, coyote-blooded, for the most part?" Fennore personally had no qualms with other species, as such a thing had never really been a huge debate in her birth pack, but she knew some individuals took offense to the other's heritage. Given Lyssa's plight, she could easily understand why she would be wary of wolves going forward, anyway.

She nodded at the other female's words all the same. "No, don't apologize. I am glad you warned me, for I was rather oblivious to these things taking place." She blew air from her pink nose, "Perhaps it is fate I encountered you rather than another of your clan, lest I be received rather poorly by someone else." Was this the design of the gods? If such beings existed, anyway.

<3

New Caledonia
Privileged
veldt
Songs from the Wood

POSTED: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:47 pm

Fennore listened to her news with concern. Thinking back, it did all seem too crazy to be true; Like living a nightmare. That had certainly been what it felt like.

"Yes, we are all mostly of coyote blood. Some dog, some mixes, but mostly coyote. This group, they had hunted us because of our blood. Said it was their duty from God to get rid of us." Lyssa's eyes glazed over, her face scrunching up in anger.

Lyssa was relieved when her friend understood the pack's mentality. It was a sensitive topic, some of which her packmates had not forgiven. She doubted they would ever be able to forgive. She knew that for herself, she would be ever followed by ghosts of her family and friends.

Lyssa was desperate to change the subject. I had been a difficult few weeks, and she was ready to put that all in the past. She was here with her friend, and they should try and catch up. "But enough about me and my sad tale. I would rather hear about your adventures! Tell me, what has been going on with your life up in the mountains?"

Del Cenere Gang
El Probado
Ruby

POSTED: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:27 pm

Their duty from God? Fennore scoffed at the thought, her mind instantly wandering to her old clan and their similar vein of fanaticism — though she was quite certain they wouldn't ever take their faith that far. For them, religion was a means to keep the weaker-willed in line and justify all sorts of rituals and festivals that involved all manners of revelry and alcohol; they would be hard-pressed to affirm their gods in any other capacity, save for the pious few. Even then, war and bloodshed wasn't natural or very respectful to the gods, was it?

The other female seemed eager to talk of lighter things, of happier events; she had done the exact same thing when they first met, shying away from the pain of her past and instead looking to Fennore's life for some small bit of comfort. Compliantly, the wolfess gave in and answered simply, "I suppose we are doing the same as we were before. I believe Iomair is thinking of relocating us, however. We might be outgrowing the mountain, I'm afraid." He had dreams of them growing larger still, and perhaps they too would form into a pack just as Lyssa's band of coyotes and hybrids had. If more Caledonian refugees or even curious loners decided to stay with them, it seemed inevitable.

"What is your pack's name again?" she asked quizzically.

<3

New Caledonia
Privileged
veldt
Songs from the Wood

POSTED: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:42 pm

The pristine white woman switched topics without question. Relieved to finally be away from the hard topics, Lyssa listened to Fennore with interest.

She spoke of Iomair, a name Lyssa was unfamiliar with (possibly the king?), and the possibility of moving her group. But it was surprising that a group could be large enough that the powerful Mount Oromocto was too small a home. Lyssa fantasized about a large court of fancy gentlemen and ladies surrounding the King wearing a crown of jewels. When they make their way down the mountain, would they ride in carriages so they wouldn't ruin their lovely clothing? Or would they dress down into simple clothing to help move their camp like everyone else? Lyssa's mind spun in wondrously colorful fantasies, imagining what life must be like for them.

Coming back to the conversation, Lyssa replied to the woman's question,"Our pack calls ourselves 'The Ashen'. They also have a Spanish name for it, but I do not speak the language." But Lyssa turned the conversation back to her; She was still lost in the world of colorful dresses. Her eyes sparkling thinking of a life of grandeur. "But please, tell me more about your group! I do not remember, did you mention their name? Oh, I wish to hear what life is like for you and your group! It must be terribly fascinating!"

Last edited by Lyssa Fontaine on Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Del Cenere Gang
El Probado
Ruby

POSTED: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:01 pm

"The Ashen..." she mimicked Lyssa's words with a pensive tone, emitting a soft "hmm" after doing so. "I'm not sure if that is a name of hope or despair." Lirael snorted as she continued nibbling at the grass nearby, and Fennore moved to give her a soft pat on her side. She would have asked more, if they were to rise from the ashes or be reduced to such, but the tawny female was quick to turn the questioning back to Fennore.

Again a far-off glint shone in her eyes, and she regarded the gently rolling mountain range behind them with feigned interest. "We are New Caledonia, though we are not a pack." A beat. "Yet. Maybe one day, though it will take some time."

She distracted her hands by smoothing out the surface of her red cloak. "It isn't... especially fascinating at the moment, for we have little. However, the stories of the Caledonian refugees are quite interesting." She failed to mention why they were refugees to Lyssa, but that would come in due time. "They have several gods that worship quite fervently, and life at their old kingdom seemed to be that of a fairytale, almost. They had courts and politics and peasants and everything in between, so I hear." A pale hand touched her chest lightly. "I am an outsider to their culture, and yet they welcomed me with open arms. As long as they seek to rebuild, I will assist them as best as I can." She tilted her head at the coyote. "Perhaps you can relate to the sentiment with your 'Ashen?'"

<3

New Caledonia
Privileged
veldt
Songs from the Wood

POSTED: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:52 pm

New Caladonia... was formed by refugees of Caledonia. The name did not ring a bell, but it did spark her interest. So the original members were part of a fancy kingdom. A courtyard will with jesters and knights and women in poofy dresses.

But from the way Fennore talked, it sounded like their new group was not as grandiose as she had imagined. Lyssa's tail dropped at the thought of never being able to experience it. She would have loved to see an elegant dress, or if she was ever so lucky, get to wear one herself. Though from the way she talked with such longing it seemed that the white woman also shared the same fantasy as the firey coyote. Maybe one day they would be able to set up that lifestyle once more.

Lyssa smiled at the similarity that the other woman suggested. It was true, the group had welcomed her without so much as a second thought. Now, she would do anything to see that they succeed; They were her family. Lyssa nodded and smiled, "Yes, it seems our stories share many similarities. I remember that from our first meeting too." A hand went up to touch the braid in her hair. It wasn't as nice as the one Fennore had done for her all that time ago, but it was something. Since their meeting, she had asked one of the other members to show her how to do her hair herself. The look had made her feel special, and she wanted that to continue.

A million questions flew through her mind, there were so many interesting things to ask about her group. Lyssa figured she was already pushing her luck, but she decided to ask one more question: "Well, if your group is growing, do you have any idea where you would be moving to? There is a lot of good potential land around here. Any idea when you might move?" Well, two questions. She couldn't help herself.

Del Cenere Gang
El Probado
Ruby

Dead Topics