Late night soiree

POSTED: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:47 pm

She was warm, uncomfortably warm. Her eyes flickered open slowly, peeling open despite the crust that threatened to seal them closed. How long had she been sleeping? Judging from the light of the cave it was night time but that gave nothing away. It had been afternoon when they had been shown into the cave once more. Either she had been sleeping for just a few hours or she had slept straight through a whole day. From the stiffness of her body and the grogginess of her mind, she guessed it was the latter.

She had shifted away from her mother in her sleep but they were still almost touching. Sequoia watched her without stirring for a few moments, waiting to see the gentle rise and fall of her back as she breathed. She breathed a soft sigh of relief like she did every morning since they left home. She did not move for a few more moments but eventually her thirst and her hunger forced her to stir. She got up slowly and quietly to not disturb her still slumbering mother.

She walked softly past the openings to other dens and listened to the slumbering breaths of her new pack mates. Perhaps in the morning she would meet them. Her heartbeat sped up slightly at the thought. She was nervous to meet these unfamiliar canines. She breached the cave’s main entrance and walked out into the surprisingly warm air. She took in a deep breath and paused in the entrance, watching her new world.
Sequoia Exultare

Aadi
Luperci
Family Above All Else

POSTED: Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:12 pm

Form :: Lupus

She hadn't been able to sleep a wink. The new knowledge she had so recently gained still roiled in her mind, unsettling her so much so that even the memory of sleep had skipped her conscience. Could it be true? Was it plausible? All of the data added up- all of the info fit together. It made sense. There was no escaping the truth. Lyris had been foolish not to see the signs before. Headaches, itchiness, the odd feeling that something needed out. The girl wasn't even sure sleep was possible anymore. Tossing and turning all might would only wake her pack mates. So instead, she had slipped out.

Just before the soft gray of dawn had began creeping into the sky, the wolf had stole into the forest, glad to be ridden of the stuffy den and worrisome ponderings. The musky smell of leaf-litter and melting snow cleared her aching head, and replaced troubled thoughts with a plan of action. As she weaved lightly between the rough trunks of maple trees Lyris constructed a mental list. Lay low, steer clear of her Family pack for a little while. She didn't want them worries, nor did she wish for their sympathy. ...But it seemed even this first step of action was going to be ruined, because the sun was already beginning to warm the chilly air and undoubtedly wake her friends. Something hit her nose just then- oh? An early bird? ...The smell was unique, lacking the stronger taint of Sangi'lak. But it didn't seen hostile... Could this be the newcomer she had heard news of?

It looked as though her guess was correct. Lyris could just glimpse the unfamiliar fur of a new canine peeking between the trees skeletal branches. She paused, thinking first. It wouldn't hurt to talk, and besides... if she really wanted to become part of her new pack, the white female would have to get to know her companions a but better. So without further wait, the scarred girl peeled away from the safety of the first and revealed her slender figure to the newcomer. A small silence.stretched between them as Lyris surveyed the newcomer. And then she spoke quietly. "You're the new member."

Word Count :: 000 | OOC :: Thought I would jump in! Excuse any mistakes, I'm on my phone. ;p
Lyris Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Ann
Luperci Mate to Luca Stable Master The Brotherhood: Master of Tooth and Claw 2013, 2015 SoSuWriMo Champ! Stryder
princess cut from marble
smoother than a storm
these scars that mark my body?
SILVER & GOLD

POSTED: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:58 pm

She was lost inside her own head, thinking over all that had happened in the past months. It had been a rough time for her but even more so for her mother. She could not shake the thought that it was her inadequacies that had cause their return to the mountain. If she had been a better hunter, a stronger wolf, she would have been able to provide for them. She had never doubted her capabilities before and the self-doubt suddenly overwhelmed her. She shook her head slightly as she tried to get past the consuming feeling. She would just have to work harder so that she never failed her family again, both her real family and her new, pack family.

While this silent vow was being made another was heading toward her, hidden by the forest. She was unaware of the presence, not expecting anyone to be out and about this late. So when a voice broke the silence she jumped and wiped her head toward the sound. The fur along her neck and back rose and she flashed her teeth in warning, not wanting to fight but surprised by the sudden intrusion. Yet after the scent and words of the other registered, only a few seconds after her impulse reaction, she quickly relaxed. Her teeth were put away and she took a more submissive stance, not wishing to offend her new pack mates.

What the female said wasn't exactly a question but Sequoia didn't know how else to respond but to answer her. “Yes.. I am.” She paused an unusually long time before speaking again, unsure what to say at first. “I’m Sequoia.”
Sequoia Exultare

Aadi
Luperci
Family Above All Else

POSTED: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:13 pm

Form :: Lupus/Sucui/Optime

Lyris stood quietly, silently, looking over the woman with a calculating gaze. As Sequoia showed signs of aggression, Lyris's neck curled back, and she blinked, taken by surprise. But as soon as the older adjusted her posture and felled her head, the alabaster girl returned her neck to straight, realizing that suddenly appearing from the trees my be a start to some. At least she had quick reflexes.

Never having someone submit to her before, Lyris didn't know quite what to do. After a few more moments of silence, however, she spoke. "Lyris," And then the girl crouched and stretched her neck out, tipping her head to look up at the bowed woman with a single evergreen eye. "There's no need for that. If anything, I should be submissing to you." Lyris was, after all, much younger than Sequoia. Though she had been a member for longer, it wasn't by much.

After another second of quiet, Lyris pulled her head back and lowered her ears, dipping her head slightly. It wasn't exactly a submit, but it did show respect for the other.

The white wolf was surprised with her reaction to the situation. If anything, she should have been stumbling and slurring her words. This headache felt like it was ripping away her brain from the inside out. She could hear the beats of her heart loudly in her ears, and her deep eyes clearly reflected her discomfort. But it was polite to introduce yourself to a new member, and although she had just set a standard to steer clear of pack mates for a while, she was unsure she could follow through. She relied so much on her pack when in need. Lyris hoped that Sequoia couldn't see her pain and give her sympathy or pity. That was what she was afraid of- she didn't need pity. She just wanted the silent comfort, in the flick of an ear or the warm glance of a cocoa eye.... dear, she was thinking about her again. Her mysterious mother...

Word Count :: 340 | OOC :: I'm so sorry for the late reply!
Lyris Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Ann
Luperci Mate to Luca Stable Master The Brotherhood: Master of Tooth and Claw 2013, 2015 SoSuWriMo Champ! Stryder
princess cut from marble
smoother than a storm
SILVER & GOLD

POSTED: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:43 pm

WC: 2+
My turn to apologize for the lateness <3

It was rare that the earthen-toned wolf introduced herself to another. It had been her mother who had introduced the pair to the Issor and before then there was hardly an instance where her name needed to be given. In her small, family pack they had not had many outside visitors and even when they did, Sequoia was not important enough among her many siblings to be individually introduced. Her own name was so unfamiliar to her vocal chords that it felt strange to speak it. She was a stranger in her new home and a stranger to herself.

She simply nodded when Lyris gave her own name in reply. She felt like there was something more to say after the exchange of names but she could not procure the words and let a silence hang between them until the white wolf spoke again. Sequoia relaxed after being told there was no reason to submit, her posture neither dominate nor submissive. They were equals here, even though Sequoia was the older. Both, she suspected, newcomers to this pack.

“How long have you been here?” She had mulled the question over several times before finally blurting it out. It followed a pause that had stretched a little too long. After she asked it her gaze lingered on Lyris until she gave her answer, noticing that the younger wolf looked slightly dazed. Having nothing to compare it to she did not know if the ivory wolf felt unwell or was simply tired. She decided not to mention it, not sure how the other would react to her concern.
Sequoia Exultare

Aadi
Luperci
Family Above All Else

POSTED: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:56 am

The little white wolf was silent and still for a long while, simply standing long and as tall as she could to look up into Sequoia's eyes. She was a simple girl. Nothing but a little white wolf, looking for someplace to call home, someone to call family. That seemed impossible, with her confusing past and marred face. Yet that one impossibility had been cracked in the simple grace of a fluttering raven feather. That feather had led her left, then right, and finally her toes had brushed the edge of Sangi'lak. The fresh inspiration of a new home and family had healed the young girl more than almost anything could. Almost... and yet there was still that sliver of mystery that was kindled within her figure. The way that she walked was silent and low- it spoke I'll stay out of your way- I don't want to speak. So you can imagine the big step that Lyris was taking. She was moving, learning, discovering herself. A little nod there, a kind gesture here. She was slowly wriggling from her shell. But time comes and goes slowly, and the process is ever so delicate... one destructive event and the entire process would unravel.

For now, the process was shown through that simple gesture of a slight bow. She was learning something. After another pause, Lyris returned her stance to relaxed, keeping her ears at half-staff, but her body language casual. At least she wasn't trundling about, delusional. The headache seemed to have faded pretty well, and her eyesight was crystalline, as it should have been.

As the nighttime breeze wrapped around the pair, that little girl tipped her head in an almost childish, curious look, before returning her mature gaze to its usually mysterious hardness. Pricking up her ears, Lyris spoke a response. "...a month and a half, I think." The realization slowly flowed to her as she freely spoke the words, realizing that she had been here for longer than she thought. Well then, maybe time really did fly.

And... maybe Lyris wasn't as stable as she had first thought, because she promptly turned her flank to Sequoia and began striding into the night quietly. Sequoia could join her, as she hoped, or perhaps she would find the young one too strange to take a stroll in the forest with, late at night. Well... maybe that would be too strange for anybody. "How do you like Sangi'lak?" The words tumbled from her lips in faded speech as she began trailing away, though she was moving quite slowly.

Word Count :: 430 | OOC ::Sorry if this doesn't make sense... \tired\ x3
Lyris Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Ann
princess cut from marble
smoother than a storm
SILVER & GOLD

POSTED: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:27 pm

The white wolf hadn’t been around for very long at all. They were both newcomers to this pack. That gave Sequoia some comfort. It was nice to know she was not the only one who was still figuring out this new life. Of course, her mother was just as new to this pack as Sequoia was but she did not yet have to assimilate into the culture. Willow spent her days resting in the comfort of their small den.

When Lyris suddenly turned and started walking the other way, Sequoia followed right after her on a reflex. Though even after the reflex had faded she kept after the other, curious as to where she was going. It seemed that Lyris had wanted her to follow and she kept the conversation going even as she walked away.

Sequoia spent very little time pondering the question. She knew how she felt about her new pack without having to dig deeper. “It’s different than what I’m used to.” The only thing she had ever known was her small, family pack. Though this pack was smaller than that had been, she was not used to sharing a life with strangers. Soon, she hoped, they too would start to feel like a family to her. “I like it here though. I'm really glad that we decided to join."
Sequoia Exultare

Aadi
Luperci
Family Above All Else

POSTED: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:01 pm

Well, it seemed as if she hadn't warded Sequoia off with her strange behavior. As the larger, cocoa shape sauntered up beside her, the girl was pleased, and had hopes of befriending the new pack member, if she could keep her quirky persona in check. Well, at least until the source of all her headaches and discomfort showed itself and was disposed of. Lyris feared what exactly it was that was the cause of such devastating headaches and uncontrollable itchiness. Alas, she would find out soon enough, and there was no way to skip over that part of her life. If she had been able to skip through her life like a video, only bits and pieces would be seen. The majority would be erased from existence, or completely prevented in that matter...

Lyris didn't slow or even check to make sure Sequoia was still at her side as she continued to outmaneuver the forest. Sharp and unexpected turns, detours around debris, or a swift and fluid leap to outwit those fallen logs and mucky puddles. Her headache was in one of its sweet spots- faded down until it was barely there. She knew it would return eventually, but for now she could enjoy her momentarily quick reflexes and the words that easily bubble to her lips, as they did so now. "I felt the same way, and still do, kind of." White figure easily moved as the girl leaped over a scruffy bush blocking her path. "But it's a family, and I really needed one at the time. I love it here." For the first time since their little journey, the green-eyed girl tipped her head horizontally to view the elder trailing at her side, studying her face for any kind of reaction or expression. Lyris's physique was as concealing as ever, with nothing being revealed in long strides nor the white meadow covering her features. Being expressionless as stone was one of her better skills.
Word Count :: 328 | OOC ::Oh my gosh this is so late, I'm so sorry. My excuse is that I was on vacation and then school work and augh. Forgive me? c:
Lyris Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Ann
princess cut from marble
smoother than a storm
SILVER & GOLD

POSTED: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:04 pm

Of course I forgive you <3

Sequoia followed the white female like a shadow, matching her step for step as they weaved through the forest. Though the earth-toned female was not yet back to her full strength she was still fit enough to keep up with the smaller wolf. Despite her awkwardness it was nice to talk to someone new and even nicer to take a stroll in the woods. It wasn’t what she had been expecting to do when she exited the den, but it was not unwelcome. After Lyris had finished speaking the pair walked in silence for a while, with Sequoia not knowing how to reply.

Eventually they broke the cover of the forest, coming out into a field. Moonlight illuminated the land and the sudden change in light made the whole field visible. Sequoia slowed, despite what her companion might do. She caught her breath at the edge of the meadow, her deep breaths coming out in wisps in the cold air. “Where are you headed?” She called out to her pack mate. Sequoia had not explored the land yet and did not know where they were going. It made her nervous to be so far away from the den and her mother.
Sequoia Exultare

Aadi
Luperci
Family Above All Else

POSTED: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:07 am

Where was her destination? A most essential question, though one she had not thought of herself. Lyris rarely had a set destination. In fact, when was the last time she had a certain direction to go? Was there any? Only with her duties in the pack, or essential nutrients to be found. But had she ever gone somewhere for a purpose not mandatory, with the destination in mind before she set paw forward? No, she had not. Even as Lyris had searched for new dwellings she did not follow the trails or scents as most wolves would. Instead, she simply walked. Perhaps straying towards a dropped feather, or dashing after a fluttering leaf. But she hadn't really thought or had a real reason. She was an odd one, for sure.

So how would she return the eldest's question? That was easy. "I dunno." She said simply, not ashamed of her pointless wanderings. Perhaps Sequoia would think she was relatively strange, completely sane, or totally and fully lost all of her marbles. Either or, Lyris didn't care much what others thought of her. Only when the situation called for a show of dominance or submission did she care. Lyris wasn't exactly one to care, anyhow...

The snowy girl halted her light bounds to a stop, dainty paws having stalled enough to sink slightly into the soft earth below. Cool fronds of grass pulled and played at her toes, and she enjoyed the sensation. This seemed like a good place to be. So she made it her destination. "This is where I was going." She said, half to herself, half towards the cocoa female. After a short pause, the young one's slender neck swiftly twisted to the left, her tufted eartips perking up like those of an interested rabbit. She heard scuttling. Scuttling was good. Yes, scuttling was very good.

Word Count :: 310 | OOC :: --
Lyris Stryder
Casa di Cavalieri
DEAD
Ann
princess cut from marble
smoother than a storm
SILVER & GOLD

Dead Topics