banking on a myth

Aoves | Drifter Bay - Sunflower Sunsets

POSTED: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:22 am

OOC| Backdated a little before Ciel's thread at Sangi'lak. :)

The wanderer had faith that his tormented brother was still alive, if only by intuition, but the lack of evidence either way was disconcerting. He had returned once already to Tatkret empty-handed, and they had implored him to look again, as if it were as simple as turning over a rock. But Ciellen did not begrudge the task, for he knew that closure was crucial to the grieving process. And, perhaps more importantly, Ciellen was responsible for his family's closure. He had both witnessed and played a hand in the events which eventually lead to his brother's disappearance. He was the closest to Relaic, and was there the night when his widowed brother stole away without so much as a goodbye. He remembered the words Relaic had said before they slept, the strain in his voice when he grabbed at Ciellen's shoulder and stared into the darkness behind him. "What if she hadn't come with us, Ciel? What if I could have saved her?" No words could soothe the ache of loss, and in his mournful silence he could do nothing but share the helplessness of sorrow. In that moment, he had found such profound doubt in the efficacy of healing.

A small fire crackled beneath the wide field of stars, its wisps of light reaching toward the heavens in enthusiastic spurts. Its mirth seemed a deliberate contrast to the solemn wanderer, whose weariness entertained little room for cheer. Remains of his scavenged meal lay scattered beyond the sphere of illumination, luring the company of faceless, nameless sounds that traveled only by the safety of darkness. Their restless movements provided the activity which the wanderer could no longer muster. The sun smoothed its remaining warmth into the lands before it retired beyond the dark curtain of night. A cloud of breath marked Autumn's return, hovered close to him as if to delay its own ascent. Some nights the cold persisted, some nights it was absent. Nothing was certain in this transitional season, but the clear skies had become a canvas for painted light. It unleashed a spectrum of color to stretch across the universe like a winding river, with no discernible beginning or end. Beneath its shattered light he found his heavy chest open, perhaps to better receive the small gift nature had bestowed him. His head craned back in vulnerable reach, exposing the vitality of his life in one simple motion. There was no fear in this action, just the passing relief of acceptance in one's fate. Mortality was simple. His existence up to that moment had always been simple. They were all a ghostly apparition of breath upon the wind, shapeless, nebulous, only briefly present, then carried swiftly aloft.
Code by Raze     Avatar by San

POSTED: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:27 pm

((Sorry for the wait! Midterms have been rough))

The dark lady had chosen to move north, going only by the paths that were familiar, going against her wanderers nature. She had a place to return to now, but reasoned that it was better not to tempt the wanderlust in her blood. The possibility was certainly diminished, Harvey, loving mate and anchor to her voyaging spirit, had come with her to keep her safe and warm through the cool autumnal nights. Aoves had learned from the folly of what was likely one too many naked dips in the cold sea; the troublesome cold had come and passed, but even now a black shawl of heavy wool hugged her narrow shoulders, the boisterous feathering upon her breast making for fit she found tight but arguably sensual, and tolerated for the sake of her health.

Harvey had been left several paces back with their few possession, and Aoves' had only left him for the briefest period to relieve herself and become acquainted with her surroundings. She recognized the reality of her life...there would likely be another litter in the spring, the arrival of a mad brother some time soon after, and then the summer would be a time of leisure spent teaching her newborns the culture mannerisms of court life. Another year could easily pass before she could make a trading trip once again.

Summer grass was still soft and cool underfoot, and despite the chill in the air, so many tones of the area remained warm, as if lingering vestiges of the most recent season; the gilt petals of the sunflowers in the distance and the turning color of the trees with their leaves so full of life and color, and also the glow of fire, a soft spark in the corner of her vision. In the glow of the fire, she could see a distant figure of white, and as she neared, from the little colorless streak a giant was fabricated. Aoves knew many faces and features, but very few of that size, and even fewer of that particular color. Her jaws parted to send a inquisitive bark into the night. "Ciellen?"

ninette
Luperci

POSTED: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:31 am

OOC| No worries! ^^ Also sorry about the length. Next post will be better, promise!

IC|

He had settled on an evening of lonesome inquiry, of hours lost gazing into the fire of reflection, but the course of life would not approve of such useless rumination. A call drew the pensive wanderer from his isolation, startled him in its familiarity and distance. He struggled for a moment to bring picture to sound, but a scan of the peripheral darkness gave sense to her likeness through the rolling waves of the drifting field. The way her form emerged from the wavering depths recalled their previous encounter, and warmed his frosty visage with a fondness of that long lost experience. Though far from the sea, he felt adrift in the fluidity of her stride, the flow of her tousled locks as they carried the motion of the tide and oceanic glimmer. A rich perfume provided further clarity to her figure, rounding this ethereal memory into something more tangible and earthen. Time had surely passed, but the wanderer welcomed the change. He expected nothing less of the woman of the waves.

"Aoves," he returned gently to the figure. "The evening must smile upon me. Please, come join me."

POSTED: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:30 pm

The alabaster giant was just as kind as she remembered, his words just as warmed by poetic charm, a conversation arising that she pleasantly recalled their time spent beside the waves. She smiled gently at the invitation, delighted, an opulent array of fangs and lips and gums displayed in a fashion as dainty as wolfish features could manage, and above, grey eyes softening as the dark frame of lashes fell lower with an innocent fondness. Her chin dipped politely in a brief gesture of greeting, and the dark drapery of her shawl was re-situated in a modest gesture fueled by the perpetual awareness of her presentation - with the habitual shift of her attire completed, the lady feeling more at ease with the notion of stepping further into the revealing glow of the firelight.

Moving forward, the steps that brought her toward the colorless fellow were buoyant and light, but tailored to the typical leisurely pace with which she approached all, even those that were familiar. The dynamic heat of the fire felt only bolder as she neared, a subdued searing of fur and skin that seemed to be shifting, fading, and growing upon her cheeks as the fire danced; it a sensation she dearly enjoyed, and though her soft gaze remained upon him, her face was angled ever so slightly to the glow to further ward away the chill of night.

Aoves' approach slowed as she drew near to him, gradually lowering to sit beside the canine and enjoy his well-spoken company, her lilting speech began as bare hindquarters began a measured descent to the place beside him. “It is always a pleasure to see a familiar face, ‘ow ‘ave you fared through these long months, Dear Monsieur Loreath? So much time 'as passed between us, and I 'ope that the road 'as been kind to one as kind as yourself.”

((that's alright, your writing is beautiful no matter the length!)

ninette
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:07 am

OOC| Ah! Sorry for the delay!

IC|

He watched the fire breathe clarity to the shadow of his memory. The details of her features parted from darkness as if rising from the depths of their first encounter, wavering beneath the dancing light. Moments were carefully drawn by the ethereal grace of her motion, the slight inclination of her head to the warmth of illumination. He followed the fall of long lashes as they eclipsed the shining silver of her gaze, their concealment unbound only when she at last settled beside him. She glowed there, brighter than the blaze that united them, fuller than when they first met on that grey shore. He recalled the shiver of her slight frame and how it seemed to him the waves had manifest as a woman, the ocean rose to greet him. The addition of her heat had done much more to warm his thoughts than the flames, and he was receptive to the conversation that followed her arrival. His expression creased in pleasure when it seemed she had departed from their previous engagement with similar favorable sentiments.

"The road has been blessedly kind, especially to permit our paths to cross once more." he spoke in gentle welcome. "I am glad to see you again, Aoves." Cerulean eyes softened on her countenance, their gaze lost in the winding paths of shadowed tresses and the cradle of fabric that swathed her humble figure. Had so many seasons truly passed? His mind turned with the confirmation of its passage.

"Your company, lovely as it is, I must admit is unexpected. Last we spoke it seemed as though the life of a traveler was not something you had desired. Did you find what you had been looking for?"

POSTED: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:21 pm

Her head dipped modestly at the mention of her company, the nod, though merely a subtle dip of her chin, was stately, a graceful movement equitable with curtsy though lacking any flourish. Much had changed, and the lady felt no shame over her accomplishments; she felt pride - such pride, in fact, that she was very temporarily silent at the realization that she might boast of them. Her gaze remained upon the male, not his grand figure.

"Indeed I did; I met a wonderful fellow - we settled in the south shortly after you and I parted, and were blessed with our first litter in the spring. We now reside in Cour de Miracles, and 'ave 'ad our second litter since then...this is my first time away from my children in many months." Home - the word didn't register with the same unfamiliarity, or the same meaninglessness that it had in the past, as though only a fragment of speech from a foreign vocabulary. "But what of yourself? Are you still searching for something 'ere?" The inquiry was gentler than the previous spill of happy accomplishments; he had not told her before, and she saw no fault in him not wishing to share now.

She could tell by way of smell, and sight - he had not settled into a pack and family, as seemed to be exceptionally common to their nature. The emollient flames applied a glow both lustrous and soft to her face and hands where they rested casually in her lap, and Aoves' gaze drifted naturally back to the light, hovering at the edge of each flame that flanked the fire, prepared to slide fluidly back the the giant.

((I'm sooo sorry about the wait, work caught up to me this past month))

ninette
Luperci

POSTED: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:32 am

OOC| Haha it's ok! I'm no better. Sorry for the wait! Also, in case there's some confusion, Ciellen refers to Asia/Middle-east as the "west" because to his home, it is directionally to the west. What's in the leaf pack - it's a carved jade amulet with an emerald inlaid in the center. Aww yiss, regifting.

IC|

As she spoke, his expression opened into a great smile. He admired the pride of her announcement, reveled very purely in her accomplishments. Navigating life's tumultuous seas into a position so rich and fulfilling was no simple task. Very rarely did a person rise above their vagrancy, it was a moment to be celebrated and enjoyed. "A family? Aoves, there is no greater treasure." he spoke in tempered delight, not wishing to overwhelm her so that she might think his reaction facetious. Her following inquiry, however, deterred the state of his elation. His smile became subdued. "I am, yes. Although I'm afraid..." he leaned back and stared into the light of the dancing flame. There was no fathomable end to that sentence. It was not a line of thought he wanted to continue down, especially in light of her good fortune. He returned to Aoves with a pacified expression. "A congratulation is certainly overdue!"

The great height of his form momentarily disappeared as he bent into the darkness, reaching around to gather his hide satchel. He returned with two small leaf-bound packages, diminished by the scale of his open palm. "I gathered these gifts in my travels. This one--" he delicately lifted the right package with two claws "--hails from the far west. It has been with my monastery for many ages. The monks were kind enough to pass this on to me before I left." He paused, his gaze pondering the small package. "This object has held many identities. Some believe that it is the bridge between our world and the next, while others suggest that it blesses the holder, gives them strength, clarity of mind, protects them from harm and hardship." Uncertainty wavered in his eyes momentarily, and then subsided. He smiled to her, "These properties may be wasted on a loner, but for you and your family, perhaps it would be better suited. If anything, it makes for a valuable trade." He breathed a light laugh, and gently picked up the other, fuller package. "And this, you'll find, is much more easily enjoyed. It is a medley of spices, given to me by someone whose culinary technique is far more refined than my own." The light blue of his eyes addressed her now, and with his free hand he reached for her own. He would place them in her palm and fold his hands over hers. "They are not much, but I would like for you to have them."

POSTED: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:20 pm

The lady smiled in return; his pleasure provided a warmth far greater than that of the fire, the delight taken in her accomplishments lending her countenance a far greater glow than the light of the flame. His countenance seemed to shift though, and her head angled fully toward him with brow and lids falling in mild concern. Her curiosity was not voiced, as she naturally assumed that he would provide an explanation if so motivated, or it was a private matter, and clearly not something to be inquired of if an explanation was withheld. The minute heaviness that had begun to weigh down her features lingered only for a moment longer, then her expression brightened fully again, was easily in sync with the flow of the conversation’s mood.

Her eyes followed the movement of his hands as they slipped into a shadowed sack, the true depths of the catlike curiosity in the sharp gaze was swiftly betrayed, given away by the manner in which silver eyes hovered so carefully upon the withdrawn artifacts. The motionless pinnacles of her dark ears were initially the only movement, pivoting forward to catch the information, her eyes otherwise absorbed by the beauty. Aoves could not deny her nature; as much as she was compassionate, she was a creature equally possessed and fixated with aesthetic beauty. Like the vain, fine feathered, magpie filling it’s nest with glittering baubles aplenty, the lady reveled in catching the glint of fine ornamentation in the corner of her eye.

She permitted a dark hand to be led forward, but questioned him, in a lilting voice of spinxlike inquiry; eyes already bright with delight, but curious, nevertheless. “…Are you quite certain? Your generosity is a very welcome gift in itself, Ciellen, but I fear that I ‘ave nothing to return to you.” And a more subtle question, though it did not pass the soft smile upon her lips, but what if the issue troubling him placed her in a position of lesser need. The gifts themselves held small value to the Catholic, though she would never express such an ungrateful notion, but she felt that perhaps they would serve better with one that had true faith in their use.

ninette
Luperci

Dead Topics