Dragon Doodly Dump

POSTED: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:24 am

Hello World! Haven't done much in the way of visual art for what feels like years, but in the last few days, due to a little nudging elsewhere, apparently I've been possessed to do just that - about 12 different things in 3-4 days.

All the below were made using 'GIMP 2', often with the 'cloud' brush for texture.

Line-art was made using the Wacom-Intuos tablet... some years ago I think.
'Cherry Blossom Tree'; Turned it into this with some messing around.

'TallTree2'; Experimenting a little.

We Talk Together; had to edit this a few times regarding the figure shapes and positions, but I like it, two characters, hand in hand, walking towards the horizon with trees looming over them.

'SmallRockTree'; just some practice.

'Forest1', or Creepy Forest; A top-down perspective of seemingly benign woodland, a well-trodden path winding around old, over-grown buildings and perhaps some cars? Roots creep out from under each canopy, reaching outwards, tripping the occasional traveler.

'Camp Fire'; Top-down perspective. Just a night-time camp in the woods by some old cottages with some sitting and laying figures, trying to show how objects cast shadows. Cosy or claustrophobic.

'Trees'; Based upon the main menu screen of a game called 'Darkwood'. Instead of greyscale, added a little blue and red.

On a whim, wanted to try something that appeals to me; A protagonist waking up in unfamiliar surroundings in a quaint, closed off location. Led to more than just that, becoming a kind of surreal 'Souls AU journey or something.

'Safe Place'; Top-down perspective of one character waking up on the couch by a fire, another welcoming them, sitting and half-turned away, unbothered by the night in the woods.

'Forwards'; A moment of hesitation before continuing onward, a overgrown metal-door standing in the way.

'Through'; The unlikely pair trudge through root-coated tunnels, one more enthusiastic than the other. Using a closer sideways view, re-worked the figure of the man, didn't think I could make recognisable characters at this point. XD

'Onward'; Back to top-down perspective, and last of this sequence for now. More surreal/spook present given what is gathering behind them.

'Tired'; Souls artwork, Jhiral sat in the corner and Maja looking up to him. Added symbolism with a touch of surreal and macabre here with a helping hand to one side, and a less positive feature above-left, given the state of his mind.

Rather enjoying making visual stuff again, apparently content with a smaller image, lower detail or somewhat minimalist/suggestive... got a bit dark quickly. XD
Jhiral
Inferni
Tirones
Dragontear
Luperci

POSTED: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:29 pm

i love these! your bg work is A++++++++++

TILL VAN ULRICH
'Cause we were always alone, We were born in the hunter's season
All I really ever wanted was for you to die in the arms of someone
Avvie by Jasmae@FA, signature image by Nina@SoulsRPG

Salsola
The Warden
J
Luperci Witch Mate to Helena and Calla
WINTER IS COMING

POSTED: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:18 pm

You should do 'souls maps ^3^ *eyebrow wiggle*
Khyren
Casa di Cavalieri
Recruit
Ben
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:22 am

Your style reminds me a lot of indie horror games. Darkwood and the folkloric Where the Water Turns to Wine immediately come to mind, as do a few pixelated, "retro"-style games I've seen on certain Let's Play channels. Very atmospheric!
Creature
Fish Crow
Dale
Creature

POSTED: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:23 am

@Till Van Ulrich-Lykoi; Thank you. <3 It's improving, I rather like doing this.

@Khyren; Funny you mention that, have done a few now. =D

@Dogmeat; Thank you! Darkwood is actually quite a strong inspiration for 2D/3D material, I have the game and love its aesthetic and atmosphere. I could have a look at the latter reference. Pixielated or 'retro' wasn't an intentional thing at first, but it seems to work.

'The Watcher'; Presented as in-game character interaction in this Souls-AU world, a potentially threatening situation.

'The Lost'; Top down perspective of a ritual site and a poor traveler in the woods.

'Lakeside'; A small pier and a over-grown house overlook some freshwater.

'Jace-Camp'; Souls artwork of Jace's forest camp in a clearing, a firepit, three tents, some farmland, bee-hives and such.

'Church'; St. Paul's Church Episcopal, located in the 'Concrete Jungle' in the south-eastern part of Inferni's territory, where Jhiral lives and has been tidying the husk up and placing a firepit, torches and some sheets over the doorways to his den and a infirmary he can heal others in, with his own medication room tucked out of sight. This took me most of the evening and night.

'Room 1'; A quick play with some materials, top-down spooky room, somebody coming in.
Jhiral
Inferni
Tirones
Dragontear
Luperci

Talents