Sick as a Dog

Avinalora

POSTED: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:10 pm

Elva hunched over, sitting on the floor. In her lap, the black cat, usually so loud and feisty, was calm and docile for once in his life. Why? Because he was asleep of course and everything looks deceivingly cute when it sleeps. The nameless feline was no exception. Slowly, she ran her hands through his long dark fur. Very rarely did he ever allow her to do this and even more rarely did she want to. This afternoon though, Elva felt exhausted and wanted nothing more than to relax.

Leaning her back against the cold wall, she decided to close her eyes for just a moment. Slowly she began to drift off when she was wrenched from her peace by awful pain in her abdomen. Her sudden jolt woke the cat from his sleep and he yowled indignantly at her as she scrambled around the floor. When she caught sight of a bucket, Elva lunged forward and shoved her face in it without carrying about what had previously occupied it. It would soon be full of yesterday's meals.

The black cat watched her retch into the bucket without much care. When she pulled her head from it and rested her cheek along the rim, he nodded at her and turned away. Some unspoken message had passed between the two apparently, and the cat left the room. What that message was, Elva had no idea. The cat did what he wanted. It wasn't until she heard him scream "Avinaloraaaaa, she's puking again" that she understood the look. And with that, she turned back to her bucket.

Kris
Luperci Distracted from relevance

POSTED: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:00 am

Avinalora
"The path to heaven runs through miles of clouded hell"
Optime | Day | April | Clinic

Sorry for the wait!
Word Count:

A tiny figure limped into the door of the clinic. She was very small for a Luperci, and she was tiny for a jackal. Despite her stature, she had long legs and was quite skinny; scrawny would be a better word to describe her. She looked very delicate and fragile, but she had been through a lot in her time. She had a narrow face with a non-tappering muzzle. A pair of large ears sat a top her head, twitching every so often. A long bushy tail waver behind her, lashing every so often.

She was silver, almost white in hue. The color came from the tiny amount of wolf blood running through her veins. She looked fully jackal in all other aspects except the bright fur. A grey saddle ran down her back, going from the back of her ears to her tail. Sprinkled through the saddle were black hairs. A mop of black hair was pulled away from her face in a pony tail and a green eye looked out.

She wore a grey and white raglan under a partially zipped leather jacket. The jacket was intricate, sporting two layers. A leather layer on the outside and a cloth layer on the inside. She also wore a pair of jeans that was modified for her species and size. A satchel was slung over her shoulders and a small cane was grasped in her hand. A moon-shaped pendant hung from her neck.

Avinalora began carrying a cane around for many reasons. It helped having something she could poke at the ground with to make sure she didn't trip over anything. She was also starting to have some pain in her left leg. She thought that she may be aging quicker (she was only three winters old, but it felt like she was much older than that) or she might just be having some random leg pain. The cane was also useful for other things, such as whacking out at people or being a less dexterous extension of her arm. The vixen's cane was useful in many ways.

The fox maiden was going back to the clinic after getting some herbs from the gardens. Her ears pricked as she heard the sounds of retching coming from the clinic. And then she heard a cat calling, no screaming out to her that she was puking again. The cat that accompanied the poor girl was a good companion. The waif's step became a bit quicker, but she didn't go very fast at all.

The winter wraith walked into the clinic. She saw the pale shape that was Elva crouching over a bucket. The jackal was thankful that the girl had short hair since she really didn't feel like holding up anyone's hair while they puked. While she could deal with most bodily functions, vomit was a bit harder than most. She started breathing out of her mouth now since the vomit stunk. But, the healer acted as she had to.

"Well, that tea didn't work." The moon-washed maiden said, mentally crossing off one herbal concoction. She then walked over the shelves of herbs and began pulling out a few different jars. She would have to try again to see what would treat the vomiting. The desert fox murmured to herself, listing the names of herbs as she began mixing them. Once she was done, the herbal remedy was placed in a small teapot and left to cook on the coals.

"So, any change from before I have you the tea?" The monochrome fox asked, turning to the girl. She wanted to know if the herbs she had given helped even a fraction.

Image | Background | Table by Andi

Silverfrost
Luperci
Somebody make me feel alive
The queen of a wretched design
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:52 pm

At Avinalora's arrival, the cat's tail flicked angrily. Took you long enough, don'tcha think? Grumbly and generally unpleasant as usual, the cat scoffed that the medic hadn't arrived immediately at his beck and call. Turning toward his luperci with a haughty glare towards the silver jackal, he unhelpfully narrated that which was painfully obvious at this point. "She's puking."

Elva raised her head from the bucket to glance at the pale healer. Her vision was blurry and her sense of smell hindered by the putrid scent, but there was no mistaking the tiny woman as anything but who she was. "Sorry" was briefly mumbled out before she returned to her previous engagement. It was only when her body finally gave her a pleasant reprieve when she returned to the present again.

Wiping the fluids from her mouth with the back of her hand, she looked around for Avinalora. Elva's search took her to the fireplace where the woman undoubtedly prepared a new concoction for her to try. I don't want to try any more. Elva rarely had any strong opinions about anything, but she was quickly growing to hate medicines. The bitter tastes left her smacking her lips in disgust and if she had an appetite before she took them, she most certainly didn't after.

"I do not think so." She was never hungry. Nothing ever tasted good. Nothing ever stayed down long enough to do any good. The ex-slave was slowly withering away to little more than a husk of her former self. Being within a pack did have one advantage though: she had more than just a single cat to support her. Where she had previously ate only mice, squirrels, and birds, she now had a larger quantity and variety of foods to eat. The larger meals had helped slow her descent into starvation, but not enough to declare her out of the woods quite yet.

The cat, ever at her side, cringed at the smell coming from the teapot. "Why don't any of these potions of yours smell good?" He wove between Elva's legs before trotting to Avinalora. He glared his golden eyes up at her. "Can't you at least make them pleasant?" Behind him, Elva merely sighed at his impertinence. There was no taming a cat.

Kris

POSTED: Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:10 am

Avinalora
"The fear of falling apart"

Sorry for the wait!
Word Count:

Avinalora's ears lowered a fraction in anger as her tail flashed and her eye gleamed. She hissed a derogatory term towards the rude feline in cat-speech, silently thanking Eclipse for teaching her more than words in cat language. She taught her some other terms that were quite rude. Onyx had also taught her a few words in crow speech that would be helpful when dealing with rude birds.

And then Elva said that she was sorry. The fox maiden's slight annoyance towards the cat disappeared. The woman had gone through a lot, and the grey-scaled girl wanted to try to help her out emotionally as well. "It's not your fault." She said soothingly as she walked towards the counter.

The hybrid woman then said that the medication weren't helping. The winter wraith didn't know what to do. But, she tried another mix of herbs, hoping that the different properties would help to stop the sickness. She had been using some herbs for poison, thinking that it would work. But, she decided to only put in one anti-poison herb and mix in anti-nausea and herbs to help settle the woman's stomach. The waif hoped this would work.

And then the annoying feline said that the moon-washed medic should make the tea taste better. "There is a reason herbs are bitter, so that the rodents don't eat them." She said, flicking her ears. But then she glance at the female. She had been though hell, so maybe she should at least make the teas taste better. "But I have some honey and heather nectar." The jackal doctor said.

The monochrome fox walked away from the fire and looked through the jars of herbs until she pulled out a jar of honey. She put it on the counter and then put some honey into it. And then she stirred it before pouring the tea into a cup and then walking and holding it out to her patient.

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:32 am

The black cat let out a rude "hmph" at the jackal girl's rude retort. She dared to correct him! "I didn't ask if they were bitter for a reason, I asked if you could make them taste better." Really, didn't anyone have ears anymore? It was like he was the only one who actually understood reason and respect anymore. Can't count on anyone for anything.

He watched the silver woman glance at his golden furred girl and smiled at the look that crossed her face. Sure enough, his way would be had. Elva glanced to the cat, something akin to relief lighting her features. Elva glanced down at her hands that still gripped the rim of the puke bucket and cautiously let go. The feeling had passed, but that didn't mean it wouldn't come back soon. I think I will stay close... just in case."

Elva watched curiously as Avinalora fixed her a concoction of herbal remedies and sweets. A part of her wanted to ask what was in it; she'd had time to read her book of plants and felt confident that she might recognize some of them if Avinalora told her what they were. The other part of her didn't want to know. She wanted it to remain a mystery, a miracle. Though grown, she still wanted there to be some unknown in the world. It was an inexplicable feeling, but one that she had nonetheless.

Elva reached her long, skinny arms out to take the tea from Avinalora's hands gently. Bringing the hot beverage to her mouth, she didn't bother to blow it. Instead, she sniffed it for bitterness before taking a sip gingerly. Though there was still a slight wince in her blood red eyes, it didn't gag her going down. "It is not so bitter as the last." Hopefully, this one would work better than the other had. Hesitantly, she glanced up at the medic. "You have not figured out what is wrong with me yet." It wasn't a question.

Kris

POSTED: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:16 pm

Avinalora

OOC here
Word Count:

Avinalora just rolled her eyes. The cat was fun, sometimes. But he was also a pain in the tail. She should really call in Eclipse to teach the guy a lesson. The female could teach anyone a lesson. Though, the vixen wasn't in the mood to break up cat fights. "I was explaining to you the reason why they weren't magically tasting like honey," She replied and then ended with another rude word it cat-speech.

But, the fox maiden made the concoction sweeter anyway. She would need someone to haggle traders for her, though for the honey because she didn't think anyone would get stung by bees for her. She glanced at Elva. The woman was intelligent, and probably wanted to know what was in the tea. So, the waif began speaking. "Originally, most of the draughts I made had poison remedies. But, since they aren't working, I decided to put only a few anti-poison herbs and instead used a lot of anti-nausea and vomiting herbs." The jackal said, explaining the mixture. And then she handed the tea to the female after sweetening it.

The loner said that it wasn't so bitter anymore. The winter wraith vaguely wondered if the sweetening might make it less likely for it to be vomited back up. That was a working theory at the moment. She wasn't a hundred percent sure that the taste wouldn't affect much, though honey was useful for giving people energy and made mixtures easier to swallow.

And then the red-eyed lady asked if the moon-washed maiden had any idea what was wrong with her. The jackal had theories, but no actual diagnosis. What could she tell the woman? That she didn't know? That she had theories? The desert doctor didn't know how to say that she didn't know, but thought she did.

"I have theories, but no official diagnosis." The monochrome fox said, her tone a bit unsure.

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Mon May 01, 2017 1:59 am

The cat didn't seem perturbed by the rudeness displayed by the healer. Instead, he looked as if he hadn't heard it at all. He turned away from Avinalora and casually sauntered out the door in that confidently arrogant manner that only cats seemed to possess. Elva looked after him and hesitated in calling him back. Annoying as he was, he got the job done in a way she never could.

Elva took her tea without thanks or gratitude, as if it were a duty not a gift. The idea of someone wanting to help her of their own volition was a foreign one to her. After nodding along to Avinalora's explanation, Elva put down the tea and finally asked. "What is expected of me?" The run through of the herbs had been one that Elva appreciated, and as she awaited an answer from the healer, she ran through the possible plants her encyclopedia had mentioned. There weren't many.

As expected, Avinalora had no official idea of just what ailed her patient. Elva again nodded, no fear in her eyes. It was a skill she'd honed over the years of slavery. When someone was causing fear, you could let it show. But if you showed them what you truly feared, they would only dangle it before you. Though Avinalora had probably seen it many times before, Elva still was not comfortable letting the woman know just how much she feared her impending death. That the idea of the reaper coming for her kept her awake at night, crying, with only the cat to comfort her soundless and tearless sobs.

"It is rather difficult to treat a disease that is unknown." She paused to take another long drink of the tea. "I am sorry for the trouble I have caused you." There were likely dozens of other patients she could be treating, yet she chose to spend her time on a tough case to crack. An admirable effort, but one Elva feared would prove in vain in the end.

Kris

POSTED: Mon May 01, 2017 9:51 pm

Avinalora
"The fear of falling apart"

OOC here
Word Count:

Avinalora almost looked a bit smug when the cat left. She had won this fight. She fought with words more often than with violence. Though, she did win that argument with Lyserg with her fists. The vixen hoped that the cat wouldn't meet with Eclipse. She wasn't very keen on treating a cat, though their biology would be similar to canines. Though, she would think that she would be treating the cat rather than the tabby female. She had her money that her cat would win.

Elva took her tea quietly. The fox maiden didn't wait for a thanks. She just did her job. She explained the tea's properties. But then the woman asked what was expected of her. The healer was simply explaining what was in it, since the woman seemed like she would understand. And it would at least let her know what she was drinking. "I'd think that you would want to know what you were drinking since you've been taking so many teas so far." She replied. The jackal gave a slight shrug.

And then the loner apologized for causing trouble. Treating her was no trouble to the winter wraith. She actually saw it as a challenge, something to challenge her knowledge and skills. It was also a learning experience for her. She didn't know everything, and it was comforting to be reminded of that. And now she was learning how to treat this strange ailment that plagued the woman. It was helping the female as much as it was helping the waif.

"It's no trouble at all, Elva." The moon-washed medic said. "This is actually helping me to become a better healer." She added. It was true, of course. She was learning something that would help her in the future, make her better. The desert doctor offered a comforting smile to the woman. She didn't know what happened to the woman, though she had theories. But, she knew that the woman was fragile.

"So, feel anything yet?" The monochrome fox asked. She sat down on one of the beds near the hybrid.

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

POSTED: Mon May 01, 2017 10:29 pm

Avinalora did not respond in a way that Elva could understand. Rather than give her orders or tell her the role that she was to play in repayment, the jackal seemed to merely ignore the question altogether and move on. Usually, in Elva's world, that meant that the answer was not meant to be known to Elva and that she shouldn't ask again. So the pale ex-slave pursed her lips and took another long drink in silence.

The more and more Elva associated with the pale jackal, the less and less it seemed she herself knew. Avinalora seemed to take pleasure in spending her precious herbs on the girl and rather than silence her incessant questions, she often answered them before Elva even asked. Out of the corner of a single red eye, the hybrid watched the woman take a seat on a nearby bed.

Again setting down her mug, Elva spoke hesitantly. "I have something that you do not know what it is. You spend your time and energy and supplies on me. I am not one of your own..." The rest was left hanging out in the open. What was there left to be said? What could she ask the healer that would not leave her more confused than when she began? In Elva's mind, it was a lost cause. It was not her place to know answers or ask questions to get them. Only to remain in silence and await judgement from those that knew better than she.

Another sip of tea, another question. This time, Elva was the one who didn't answer. Instead, she waited a few minutes to let the warm liquid settle on her stomach. In time, the warmth faded and something began to bubble and gurgle in her belly. Placing one pale hand over the strange feeling, a strange noise came from her, but it didn't hurt. Looking up, Elva looked just past Avinalora's shoulders, the closest she'd ever come to looking her in the face. "I think I am hungry."

Kris

POSTED: Mon May 01, 2017 11:04 pm

Avinalora

OOC here
Word Count:

And Elva said something that made Avinalora pause. "I have something that you do not know what it is. You spend your time and energy and supplies on me. I am not one of your own... The vixen turned towards the woman, her green eye looking into the woman's red eyes. She wanted to get something straight with the girl, and something she probably needed to know. She spoke in a calm tone, as gentle as she could manage while lecturing.

"I am a healer. I treat anyone in need. Pack-mate, not-pack, or loner; Luperci, non-Luperci, or non-canine; friend, enemy, or stranger. All lives matter to me. And you are someone that matters. I am not wasting anything, I am helping you. And you are helping me learn how to be a better healer." The fox maiden stated calmly as she could. She did repeat her earlier statement, but she felt like she needed to.

And then some good news happened. The winter wraith's patient was hungry now. Maybe it was because she had just vomited up her stomach contents, or maybe it was because the herbs were actually working. The desert doctor couldn't restrain the grim spreading across her face. She moved towards the door. Tyler was there as usual. She communicated to him quietly that he should bring some rabbit here.

And then the moon-washed maiden came back again. She smiled again and said. "Maybe we should see if it works?" She asked as she kept an ear out for the muted wing flaps and the familiar scent that would tell her when the owl was back. The barn owl was a good hunter, and she didn't think it would be long until he came back. Or take some prey from wherever he stashed it.

And then the monochrome fox heard loud squawking and then she heard a splash. It seemed as though Onyx did it again. He liked to drop things into the catchment system she set up outside. "Excuse me for a moment." The grey-scaled girl said. And then she walked out.

"Onyx! I am going to have your head!"

Silverfrost
Luperci
I walk through the fire

Dead Topics