Re: I'm gonna break this spell she's got on you

POSTED: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:28 pm

[WC: 302]

Morgana laughed as he spoke about the idea of women being wild. It was a concept she recognized – for her mother was all but barbaric, for her beauty and her domestic lines. Yes, the wilderness was not far from the hearts of women.

I think your niece and your sister are alike, she told him with a secretive smile. Girls need privacy, and to know what they are capable of doing. It's important for children to find their calling – has she advanced yet? I'm afraid I haven't met her except in passing – but I've been so busy with my work, you understand, Morgana laughed again.

She slipped on a patch of melting snow, and reached for his arm to steady herself. Then, finding it comfortable, moved closer towards his side. It happened fast, smoothly, with the sort of speed one might expect from a practiced motion.

Oh I'm sorry, she breathed, brushing her hair from her face once more. You'd think I'd be better on my feet, how often I travel on them, Morgana lamented. She was smiling, liking the feel of him by her side. Your caravan sounds lovely. Hyacinth said your family were gypsies – and forgive me, but you seem far too serious for all that. Though I've only seen a few other gypsies, back when I lived with my parents. They were wonderful performers. I even had my fortune read, she added, winking.

Magic had always been in her blood. She had known that from the beginning.

It might be good to live near others, Morgana went on, considering her options aloud. I know we have very little to fear, with people like you watching out for us, but I worry sometimes, living alone. It's strange being alone after being near others for so long.

Salsola
The Warden
Mel
Luperci Witch Silver Scales & Silver Blood
light as a feather
stiff as a board

POSTED: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:16 am

They walked slower than the man had originally intended, for Morgana chattered on pleasantly – the sharp gold of her eyes winking up at him each time she spoke – and he could not bring himself to rush her. They wound their way along the path, ears twitching, mouths smiling, and for a moment Brocade forgot everything besides the russet twist of her lips. He couldn’t help the chuckle that crept from him, ”You think so?”

Hyacinth had grown up cold – a girl alone in a world that had too many constraints. The caravan had always been too small for her, and though Brocade had envisioned his future there amongst the squadrons and the gypsy horses, he had been convinced to follow her and the rest of his siblings in an effort to prove that there was more to life than the constant battle for territory.

”Symre is…” Lost. He heaved a sigh and glanced towards Morgana, ”She hasn’t chosen her path.”

He had asked her once and she had huffed at him from behind crossed arms: “Mother said that the path chooses you.” It seemed an excuse to the silver brute, but he did not have the patience to argue with her. It was obvious that she had chosen something dastardly and dark, but Brocade wasn’t sure what Morgana would think of the witchcraft that was apparently taking place in the tiny room about the stairs. It caused the fur along his shoulders to prickle at the thought of it.

Brocade was caught off guard by her sudden stumble, and he chuffed with surprise as she latched onto his arm. ”Careful.” He admonished, supporting her as she found her feet and adjusted to their new rhythm down the trail. Her fingers were warm against his skin, the leather clad palms lain gently against his forearm. ”Our family had its own way. Traditions in Ame Rouge run deep and old.” When he said the name his accent was more pronounced. ”I grew up telling stories and preparing for the skirmishes that had families vying for new territory.” The scars which laced him were evidence of this life.

He rumbled softly and tilted his head into the wind, ”Did your siblings not come with you?” His teeth clicked and he smiled, ”What did your fortune say?”

He would indulge her if only to hear her reveal more about herself.

When they came upon Marrgerrd they paused along the fence line to observe the herd of animals that pawed at the snow.

hng

Salsola
The Inquisitor
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite
you forget I have a gypsy heart
listen to the wild

POSTED: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:30 am

[WC: 518]

Morgana nodded to answer his question and did not push too much on the matter of his niece. The girl was delaying herself for a reason. There was some freedom, Morgana supposed, in having no obligations. It looked bad, of course, but matters of appearance were not always terribly important to young people. They were still towheaded and did not recognize the importance of becoming known for something worthwhile.

Snug against his side (she wormed her way closer as they walked) the Tradesman listened to Brocade's explanation with new interest. He was very intriguing, she had to admit – a wordsman and a warrior was a curious combination. Then again, men so often liked to brag about their exploits and weave wild tales seeking to impress folk. She had heard many from her travels and dealings, and some so outrageous they were laughable.

Taking advantage of the things he spoke about, Morgana studied the jagged lines formed by the exposed scars that cut across his face and body. They were dark, which seemed curious to her. She wondered if it was his skin or if the marks had been darkened intentionally.

It was less pleasant to talk about her family. The House Revlis had many heirs, and her siblings were egomaniacs and lolligaggers. She hoped not to be judged next to them, though this often seemed to happen. Her smile thinned a little, but she was a master salesman and had long ago perfected this pretty expression.

Oh, they all came – some of them are in Portland, but they travel. Our family is from further south, along the coast. I suppose I could ask one of them to join me here, but I would feel terrible requesting that. It's poor weather to travel so far. The road can be dangerous.

It wasn't merely bandits of which she spoke, though this was a very real threat these days. Accidents seemed to follow Morgana Revils. A tree had almost fallen on her before she arrived in Portland. She had nearly drowned getting to Salsola. Illness had struck her very badly once. Making sacrifices and enchanting charms had helped lessen these incidents, but still...

In the field, horses and cattle grazed. Morgana squinted at the herd, but when she did not see her favorite of the lot grew disinterested. Seeing Brocade's confusion about their location, she gave his arm a light squeeze of reassurance. Almost there!

Winter had not pierced the barn properly, insulated as it was by hay and the body heat of all the animals within. Earthy smells assaulted her nose. A few horses stuck their heads out to look at the Luperci as they arrived, and a goat bleated from a stall further down the row.

I hope you don't think me presumptuous, but I wanted to give you something practical. Ah, here we are, she turned him towards the tack room, and finally released her grip on his thick arm. Her hand, however, sought his own – and grasping this, pulled him into the room after her.

There, with a flourish, she showed him the blanket.

Salsola
The Warden
Mel
light as a feather
stiff as a board

POSTED: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:50 am

Morgana slid closer against him as they came closer to the stables. Soon the scent of horses and hay surrounded them, and curious animals hung their heads to inspect the pair as they passed. She was related in some way to Salsolas Queen, a muddled trail that followed a proud bloodline of Kings and Queens. For the first time in many months Brocade thought of the Pentiti his lined face grim as he was cast out for his crimes against The Kingdom.

Morgana was a Revlis – a woman of exceptional taste and carriage. Brocade realized a beat later that she was peering up at him curiously from beneath her dark lashes, his expression pulled into a toothy grin. The grip on his arm was tight, though she released him when they finally came through the stable doors. He grunted, ”I keep hoping that Hyacinth will return… but I fear the same thing.” His lips twitched, ”And she is doing good things at the Outpost. It would be selfish of me to ask her to leave.”

She lead him further into the stable, and Brocade for a moment was reminded of Helena. She had bombarded him with scarves and a basket filled with food the year prior. Without realizing it he checked the windows and the rafters in case someone was hiding to throw gifts at him from above.

His tail wagged behind him, though stalled as she gestured before herself with theatrical arms.

There before them was a simply craft but well-made blanket for Tonnerre. Brocade crept forward with a surprised sound and hefted the thing in his arms. The wool was scratchy against his paw pads, and still smelt clean and new. A horse whinnied somewhere further afield, and Brocade wondered if Tonnerre knew it was for him.

He grinned at the red woman, ”Thank you Morgana,” He lay the thing down and patted it with his hand, ”Truly thank you. How can I repay you?”

hng

Salsola
The Inquisitor
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite
listen to the wild

POSTED: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:38 pm

[WC: 185] We can wrap with your reply, I think! :>

Morgana thought to mention that Hyacinth had her mate to help occupy the time in Portland, but decided against it. She surely didn't want to think about her siblings liaisons.

So, wisely, she merely nodded and let the subject drop. Brocade had a sister here still. His family had divided itself equally amongst the Kingdom, as it had seemed, though all of those young adults had come north. There was something powerful about this place, even if it was simply being in their founding lands and close to the presence of the upper echelon.

People like Brocade.

He seemed pleased by her gift, and Morgana beamed up at the gray man's shaggy face with delight. Oh I'm so glad you like it, she cooed. You have a very handsome horse, I though he deserved something nice. Don't you worry about me, she wagged her hand. It soon settled on her hip. Though I wouldn't say no to a meal sometime. I could use the company, Morgan added, and her coy smile returned.

She wanted to get in. All he had to do was let her.

Salsola
The Warden
Mel
light as a feather
stiff as a board

POSTED: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:26 pm

She was a strange woman, Brocade decided as she crooned to him in her singsong voice. Her eyes were glimmering brightly as if lit from within, her hands clasped in a pleased way beneath the slope of her pale chin. Morgana rocked on her heels, and when he grinned at her it was all at once warm and confused.

”A meal?” The laugh that left him was short sounding and rough, ”I am not known for my cooking though I have been told that I am good company.”

He stepped toward her and dipped his head, lifting one hand to press it gently to her shoulder.

”Come by anytime.”

hng

Salsola
The Inquisitor
Amanda
Luperci Vedetto, Milite
listen to the wild

Dead Topics