the future held his hope

POSTED: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:38 am

When he found the border after hours of searching he felt himself go still. There was something about the air that surrounded him on all sides that was cool despite the heat, and while Mateo took great care to stay on the correct side of the twisting thing he felt as if somewhere beyond there was a sweet siren song which urged him onward.

He had left Ombra behind with Ruckus, for the boy had slept too long and refused to rise from his tent.

It was one of those days Mateo supposed.

The heat prevented Mateo from wearing his full regalia - and so it was that he wore a loose fitted vest with the buttons undone, a pair of trousers tucked up around his shins. There was a fresh bruise purpling on his arm from where Ruckus had hit him - but Mateo was proud that for the first time the tattooed mongrel had a mark to match.

He was getting better, slowly.

He wasn't sure what it was that he searched for, but when he finally came to a bend in the Pictou he dropped to his knees to drink deeply of the cool water. Eagerly he pooled it between his writers hands and splashed his face and neck, groaning softly as he did so.
The Troupe
Minstrel
Amanda
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:55 pm

Optime | Salsola Borders (Pictou River) (+418)

Kamari’s scent is disguised to smell neutral and forest-y.

The heat of summer was on the rise as the season crawled ever closer to its peak days. A thick-furred wolf or shaggy-haired dog might have found the weather to be unbearable with clothing. It would leave many exposed and naked in their attempt to not overheat, or, for the less careful, it might have left them dehydrated or suffering from heat exhaustion. Finding shade and water were key to this time of year.

Cicadas hummed under the warmth of the sun, and birds sang their merry little tunes, some out in the open riding on breezes or zipping after insects. Rodents and other small fauna skittered here and there as they searched for grains, seeds, or other edible treasures to be found on the ground. A small herd of deer grazed out in the distance. Nothing out of the ordinary, well, except for the scent of an Other that lingered on the breeze.

With her shorter fur, Kamari still felt the effects of summer, though, to a lesser degree than most. Her preference for loose-fitting clothing also helped keep her cool while also hiding her figure. She wore her dark, tattered-edged cloak over a dark green tunic and charcoal pants. Leather bracers adorned her forearms, and she had her knife tucked away in the small of her back. At her hip, she had her quiver that was still full of arrows, the bow that would fire them strapped over her shoulder.

She had been returning from yet another reconnaissance sortie beyond the Kingdom’s border when she had happened upon the scent of an Outsider that had wandered too boldly where they didn’t belong. The Vedetta had altered her route, winding along the scent trail until she had found its source; a male of soft, pale, golden hues, accented by creams and saturated browns. His hair was messy and short, a notable contrast when compared to the men she often found herself accompanied by in the Kingdom.

He drank from the babbling waters of the Pictou, splashing his face and neck in an attempt to likely cool off. He drank from the Salsolan side of the river while Kamari stood where he should have been, on the opposite side of the bank, in neutral territory. “Do you realize where you are?” She asked the stranger, her voice pitched to indicate curiosity, however, there was also a chiding undertone.

To the male, she would have looked and smelt the part of another Loner.

Kamari Kaiser

Salsola
The Inquisitor
Songbird
Moderator Luperci Sapienza, Vedetta Mate to Krios Royalty of a Fallen Kingdom
Seeker of Secrets
Amongst Shadows
Bearer of Masks

POSTED: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:51 pm

I will scream them loud tonight
Can you hear my voice this time?

OOC: The powerhouse pair. Hope you don't mind me joining in as well. +300 words.

Between all the projects and the events going on within Salsola, the Paladin had found herself working so much more once again. It had been nothing new from the time she had found herself in this position, but now she had so many more things to balance into her schedule. With all this going on, it seemed it would still be some time before she and Grievous were to be wed.

But this worked out in her favor. It meant there would be more time and dedication to plan everything out once some of the projects had died down and the Inquisition was no longer required for the whole of Salsola. It would be special for the two of them, and she would make sure of it. It wouldn't be a hasty marriage like the one Andrew and Narcissa had seemed to put together for their own union.

They sure wasted no time in that regard.

Idrieus found her self closer towards the western borders, more closer to the Pictou River to be exact. This was not a more commonly patrolled location, most seeming to find their way closer inward to the kingdom above anything else.

Movement ahead of her had caught the dog woman's attention. There was a grayish man there, far past the borders than he should have been. The tip of her tail lashed carefully. Just as she was close to making her own approach, the Emissary had arrived on the scene. She had been the one to address the male first, questioning if he knew exactly where he was. Perhaps this would work better in their favor.

The Paladin moved to conceal herself among the nearby foliage, keeping herself ready just in case she were needed for some assistance to Kamari. The two of them could be a formidable pair when used correctly. If anyone would need muscle, and was willing to give an Outsider once chance before they regretted their decision, then it would be the two of them.

One hand moved over the grip of her rapier, watching and waiting.

Idrieus Eternity

Salsola
The Inquisitor
Salena
Luperci The Price for Freedom More than a Warning
Karma's Gonna Come Collect Your Debt
smiles of plated GOLD

POSTED: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:12 pm

Mateo did not understand the need for secrecy or defense at all costs. The Troupe moved around a lot and so it was that they became used to packing and unpacking their tiny camp at a moments notice. A pack was a permanent thing, influenced by cultures and wolves who were keen to find greatness amongst their own kind. Sometimes Mateo felt that he was a rogue (not unlike their coolest member, O’Brien) but he knew deep down that he was different. He had been born into nobility and had known nothing of hunger or pain.

In Onuba there had been secrets, but they had all flown over the young mans head – his nose had been buried too deeply in books to notice.

Mateo scooped more water toward his face and lapped eagerly, though the voice startled him enough that he splashed himself in his haste to straighten. The jackal who stood opposite was pretty – with shortly cropped hair and a loose cloak that hid her figure. Her scent was difficult to discern, and he found himself flaring his nostrils at her curiously. He ran his damp hands through his curls before thrusting them deep into his pockets.

When he spoke it was with a large goofy grin, the violet of his eyes gleaming brightly.

”I’m on the riverbank.” His thin tail wagged behind him, ”I feel like I should be saying something more than that…” His bushy brows twitched and he gave a shrug, ”I got nothing.”

He cocked his head at her and made to cross the river by jumping across, ”Why are you here?”

Thank you for being so patient!

The Troupe
Minstrel
Amanda
Luperci

POSTED: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:48 pm

(+311)

Sorry I didn’t give Idrieus much to reply to, Salena Dx

Her words must have spooked him, because his body jerked to attention, standing hastily as a pair of amethyst eyes rounded on her. Water droplets clung to his hair and fur and where he had accidentally splashed himself. His features were doggish, she noted quietly, with his tall ears and relatively smooth coat in comparison to a more wild-looking wolf or coyote. He grinned at her like a fool, completely oblivious of the danger of the situation he had put himself in.

Behind him, Kamari caught a glimpse of a familiar, dappled pelt before it disappeared amongst the thick, green foliage. Idrieus. The Shadow did well to ignore what she had caught in her peripherals, keeping her eyes trained on the Loner before her. Let him believe it was just them. It would ensure that—if the Paladin were forced to make a move—the Salsolans would have the advantage over him.

She rolled her eyes, smiling and laughing at him in a humorous and friendly way. “Obviously.” Surely, this Outsider wasn’t as stupid as he looked. “My eyes work well enough to see that, bush-brow.”

The man’s posture shifted, and, as she recognized him considering the thought of jumping into the water that separated them, she let her hands come up to her bow in a casual way. Her claws plucked idly at the string like a bashful girl might have. “Me?” She laughed as she watched him cross over. “I was trying to see if there was away around this border. Haven’t you heard about this land? It belongs to those shady Luperci called Salsa or whatever. I’m surprised you’re still alive after being on that side of the river! How long were you over there?”

They needed to know how far and how long this stranger had been gallivanting around unchecked.

Kamari Kaiser

Salsola
The Inquisitor
Songbird
Seeker of Secrets
Amongst Shadows
Bearer of Masks

POSTED: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:34 am

OOC: It's all good Song. +200 words.

Idrieus' eyes hadn't done much to leave the male since she had arrived, watching his movements, making sure that nothing would come of his being here on their territory. When they had drifted over to the Emissary, it seemed there was a subtle movement in her own, catching the small movement the dog woman had given to adjust her position. Kamari knew that she was here, and that she was not alone to deal with this intruder.

One hand rested over the hilt of her rapier, gaze falling back on the male. His head was quick to turn when the jackal woman had made her approach, but what was better to note was that the Paladin had not been spotted by him from her hiding spot. It would have given the whole thing away.

One eyebrow rose not only to the man's movement of going to the other side of the river, but rather also on the Emissary's approach to this situation. With any other Outsider, it seemed many in the Shield were quick to tell them they had trespassed on Salsola's land, and most were stupid enough to the point that they had cut their lives short, even with warning from the two females. One would think they'd know better at this point.

Idrieus waited in silence, save for a small adjustment to her footing, but not making enough noise that might give away her position. Instead, her eyes stayed focused on the task at hand. Despite the change in tactics, the Emissary was still working to get information out of him.

Just how long had he been lingering here?

Idrieus Eternity

Salsola
The Inquisitor
Salena
smiles of plated GOLD

POSTED: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:59 pm

Mateo did not understand what it meant to defend and protect – he had been lucky in that his entire life had flourished around his family and the troupe that had somehow become his family. When the Jackal adjusted her weight the cowl of her cloak fell slightly to reveal the silver smattering of freckles that dotted just below where her hair line ended. Mateo decided that she thought she was pretty in a sharp but unassuming sort of way – and when he came to her side of the river, he grinned at her in what he thought was a charming way.

”Bushbrow?” He couldn’t help the chuckle that escape him, ”That’s one I haven’t heard before.”

He canted his head and dug his hands deep into his pockets as he rocked on his heels, ”I’ve never heard of Salsa before.” He shrugged, ”Not very long. I was hoping to run into someone that I thought lived up here.” He smiled again, pricking his long dog ears toward her, ”We could try to find a way together if you like?”

Mateo held out his hand for her to shake it, ”I’m Mateo Salcedo.”

:>

The Troupe
Minstrel
Amanda
Luperci

POSTED: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:50 pm

(+428)

“Then others have done better at holding their tongue than I,” she laughed. The way his markings were, with the dark lines of dusty, earthen tones just above his eyes and on a canvas of light cream, it made him look more expressive, the movement of his brows more exaggerated than another canine’s might have been. Thick as they were too, they were like small bushes perched there.

His hands went into his pockets, though, Kamari did well to keep her eyes focused on his face. She needed to keep him relaxed, and keep him talking. The more at ease and trusting she appeared, the more likely he would continue to be both. “You haven’t?” She asked him with raised brows in astonishment when the man claimed to have never heard of the Thistle Kingdom—or, at least, its mispronounced name—before. “You must be new to the area. Good thing I found you before one of them did then. The rumors of what they do to trespassers are not kind, nor are the ones of the traps that they supposedly litter their borders with.”

And how had he managed to not fall victim into a single one?

To his suggestion that they find a way around together, Kamari found herself forced to agree in order to keep in-character. “Sure!” She agreed cheerily, “Which way did you come from?” The question was worded in a way that indicated that she did not want to waste their time by retracing his steps. In actuality, the Emissary wanted to know from where he had breeched their borders.

When his hand was offered, Kamari took it with a smile. “Nice to meet you, Mateo Salcedo. I’m Birch.” she returned, committing his name to memory. She hoped saying his name twice would also be a cue to Idrieus that it might be in their best interest to keep an eye on him. The Salcedo House was small in Salsola, but, there were notable members within it. “You said you were looking for someone? Do they live here?” She pointed back across the shallow creek from which he had come.

The Shadow found it curious that, for someone who supposedly had never heard of the Kingdom—or, Salsa—that he would have been searching for someone he thought lived in the Salsola area. Though, to his credit, he had been “dumb” enough to cross a clearly marked border to go searching for them. Either he knew little of pack dynamics and courtesies, or, he was up to no good.

Kamari Kaiser

Salsola
The Inquisitor
Songbird
Seeker of Secrets
Amongst Shadows
Bearer of Masks

POSTED: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:06 am

OOC: Bit of a short post. Feel free to have Mateo spot Idrieus now. +200 words.

Little happened that would have caused a need for Idrieus to move from her current position, giving her a chance to sit patiently and listen. Kamari were the extended part of her ears, being the one to gather the information while she sat behind to be the muscle if it were needed. No doubt if there were one of the males in her position, they would have just made themselves known to get this trespasser out of here without getting the chance to learn anything.

The Emissary had repeated the man's name, one eyebrow raising at it. Salcedo was a name that was well known of members of Salsola, though most of them had moved on now. As far as she was aware, there was only one more remaining in their home. The shared name made them connected... but then why was he not a part of their kingdom like the others had been?

What made him different?

Blue gaze moved back over to the pair as Kamari made her way closer to the strange man. Though it would be best for her to stay put, as the Emissary moved, so too did she. Her pelt didn't blend in too well with the plants, though her footsteps were kept as quiet as she could. Her body lay low, flopped ears keeping open for anymore movements and information on this intruder. How much more would they be able to learn from him?

Idrieus Eternity

Salsola
The Inquisitor
Salena
smiles of plated GOLD

Dead Topics